• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I can't! I just want that Level 100 achievement. 😔
brokeback mountain GIF

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I've found a Cryo Lab. Not one or even two. Like a dozen already. Every single one: exactly the same. Down to loot, notes and dead scientist placement. Oh, and that sweet contraband crate just outside.
I just found my first. Did you get through all the secret areas? I was impressed with the level design, big time.

I just found my first. Did you get through all the secret areas? I was impressed with the level design, big time.
I just went through a second one generated from some random Freestar mission - I was disappointed to see it was exactly the same, but I did find some things in there that I didn't before and felt like they could be related to something else, but didn't find anything conclusive. So I left as the main goal was accomplished.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I believe so and yeah it was very good. Gave me Prey / Deus Ex vibe. But sadly, it's just one lab copied over and over and over and over again. I don't understand why they couldn't build these places as modules that snap and connect in various ways and let procedural generation create random layouts for us to explore. And leave the more complex layouts for story / side missions...

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I swear to fucking god, I am going to try and start some kind of quest line tonight. Main quest, all I’ve done is save Barret. I still have to do the other two opening missions for Constellation.

The UC quest was pretty good. Not a single eye rolling moment. I was even conflicted with some of my decisions.
The last mission though was a little anti climatic. Terrormorphs should be more like a swarm instead of one big bullet sponge.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Cyberpunk 2.0 is installing, I'm a little hyped. Played few minutes earlier today and I instantly missed the ability to switch to 3rd person to look at my ass and I missed boost pack A LOT.

Edit. It's almost the end of the journey for my character, Dick Justice.

wgklu2s.jpg

tCgRcMB.jpg

Betty, best companion one can ask for:

RsVo8Jq.jpg

Last edited:
Does this game have a survival mode like Fallout NV and Fallout 4? I did find lot's of food and drinks, but can't see any survival stats affecting my character. I'm already playing on highest difficulty setting. Is there any hidden setting like the "Hardcore mode" in NV?
Here's the best you can do:
If very-hard isn't enough difficulty and anyone wants a theoretical ultra-hard experience:

Traits to choose:
1) Alien DNA (Less Healing)
2) Spaced (Debuff on all Planets)
3) Introvert or Extrovert depending on if you use companions or not (on this playthrough you'd do the opposite of the trait to get the debuff)

3 alt A) You can substitute for number 3 is Dream Home or more permanently, Kid Stuff, if you want money constantly funneled out of your account.
3 alt B) You can substitute number 3 for Wanted to get heightened aggro while in your ship.

Alien DNA will almost make the game feel like Skyrim's survival mode because you will be looking for any type of healing and food items you can, because enemies will do more damage and you do less healing. Thus, food and sleeping has more of a use/need aside from the occasional XP and oxygen boosts.

Also as a bonus for bad drop rates: Keep the (un)lucky boots for the entire playthrough.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In an attempt not to spoil myself, is there anything in this video that's generally helpful to playthrough? That's what I'm looking for, but it seems like the video is probably going to cover more fun story moments, which is what I'm trying to avoid looking at.

No it's just easter eggs, you won't find any helpful tips kind of thing in there.

So I just let the credits roll,

It seems like there is no actual point of no return - even at the very end you can just return to your ship and everything is back to normal, isn't that right? Until you walk "through".

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah, good luck with that lol
Off to a bad start. Flew to a new level 75 planet. Encountered giant fire spitting caterpillars and giant aggressive grasshoppers.

Man, the creature models are fantastic and play on some of my nightmare fuel triggers. I not only feel like I have to kill them all, but I feel like I need to exterminate them from existence.

Bumping up the difficulty to very hard has netted me some very cool legendary gear.

Last edited:
After around 8 hours I decided to stop playing for a while, it's just too overwhelming and I'm in no mood for no-lifing games right now.

Shubh_C63

Exploration really does suck in this game. You're supposed to jump from mission objective to mission objective and let the game pacing does it work.

I did the first Freestar collective mission farm one and finally getting a different area was a bit exciting. Am I supposed to fight Lvl 25 aliens and robots while being Level 10 ?

Exploration really does suck in this game. You're supposed to jump from mission objective to mission objective and let the game pacing does it work.

I did the first Freestar collective mission farm one and finally getting a different area was a bit exciting. Am I supposed to fight Lvl 25 aliens and robots while being Level 10 ?
Yeah, the enemy leveling is kind of all over. Each star systems has an overall level for starters, but even relatively early areas there would often be a few guys on the group that were significantly higher level.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I mean does he hang out somewhere? He’s not on my list of crew I think. Did I lose my chance forever?
If you go to your crew screen, it says where everyone is. I think his home base is New Atlantis. So he might hangout in Viewport lounge at the Spaceport.

But you can reassign anyone you’ve hired from the crew page in the ship menu.

So yeah, regarding the ending of the game..

I liked it honestly. I think the whole idea of the enemy you encounter being members or whoever from other universes here to get the artifacts and achieve unity is fine - and really well rolled into NG+ to make it feel pretty good, especially with some different dialogue that is available, like in the lodge right afterwards. Hopefully there is more along that lines but I can't expect too much. Nothing groundbreaking, but I think it fits and enjoyed it. I want to carry on and play NG+ but I'll really miss my beach house.. guess I could just remake it but..

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah, the enemy leveling is kind of all over. Each star systems has an overall level for starters, but even relatively early areas there would often be a few guys on the group that were significantly higher level.
I like it that way. Why should a group of enemies all be the same level. That’s now how things should be. I like to think that the level number on a system is the average level of enemies.

I don't understand the thing with loading screens. In Akila City some vendors have loading screens. And some don't.

At the penthouse in New Atlantis I opened the door to the balcony expecting a loading screen. But there isn't one. You can even jump all the way down to the spaceport.

I'd like to understand what is the limitation that forced them to add so many loading screens. And if it can be overhauled by mods.

Punished Miku

I don't understand the thing with loading screens. In Akila City some vendors have loading screens. And some don't.

At the penthouse in New Atlantis I opened the door to the balcony expecting a loading screen. But there isn't one. You can even jump all the way down to the spaceport.

I'd like to understand what is the limitation that forced them to add so many loading screens. And if it can be overhauled by mods.
Gagarin is a pretty huge city with tons of npcs, shops, detailed interiors and a lot of verticality and it has no loading. And even crazier, its in a planet tile also seamlessly including the whole surrounding wilderness, animals and all that too with no loading.

Kurotri

Is it just me or is there not much going on in Akila City besides the Freestar faction questline? I felt like I was showered with a bunch of quests and what not in New Atlantis and especially in Neon but this place is...kind of a dump?

it's a performance thing, the object persistence has to go somewhere, and a lot of the areas that load also have a lot of shit in them, that has both an impact on the engine memory, the cpu and the game's logic.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Is it just me or is there not much going on in Akila City besides the Freestar faction questline? I felt like I was showered with a bunch of quests and what not in New Atlantis and especially in Neon but this place is...kind of a dump?

Well it's a great place to supply up. You have the general store, the gun store and the mineral shop all in one line next to each other. And then the bar across from them has an endless bounty board. There's also opportunities to buy either a shack or a house for yourself.

And there's a handful of sides to complete. Just walk around all over the place throughout the day and night and you should just pick them up through NPC conversation like everywhere else.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Captain's Log: I've punched 57 bugs so far out of 75. The least observant bug on this planet sadly seems to be the most mobile. It appears to be some kind of giant cricket and loves to jump for minutes at a time before settling down. Once they stop moving though its like they cant see anything because a sneak attack is quite easy even after running after them for several minutes. Little did I know that this creature is also highly toxic so a successful sneak attack means I take large amounts of poison damage. It appears nature is not without a sense of irony. Running a little low on med packs ...

Gt111

Neo Member
So I’ve noticed at some cities such as neon and cydonia there is a mission board… I’m early in the game..
So are these missions associated with a faction? Or I guess they are normal missions/quests?

Punished Miku

So I’ve noticed at some cities such as neon and cydonia there is a mission board… I’m early in the game..
So are these missions associated with a faction? Or I guess they are normal missions/quests?
Bounties. There's also a Constellation mission board in the basement of the Lodge. Bounty boards are usually near bars too.

Top Bottom