• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

There are some good side missions outside faction quests as well.

Don’t shy away from Activities too. Those tend to turn into quests as well.

Yeah, I recently went to Gagarin to grab a Murasame ( I'm only B class and level 33 or 34 so this was one of the more balanced options I spotted over on https://inara.cz/starfield/ships/ ) and there is some interesting content there if you talk to enough people. Truth be told I think I've spent as much time doing side quests and activities as I have in the main quests.

Fess

Truth be told I think I've spent as much time doing side quests and activities as I have in the main quests.
Second playthrough, 1 main mission done, 50+ hours played 😅

Been modifying my phat ship

D3kS5lH.jpg

Dining room

Q5pMX7d.jpg

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
After 48 hours, the enjoyment I got from the game reached a plateau. I haven't fully completed any faction yet, but I'm considering finishing a few. The main quest turned out to be shorter than expected, so I'm delaying its completion a bit. As of the 48-hour mark, I'd rate the game 8/10, but I anticipate it will start to decline from here. I'm currently at a point where I choose quests from the quest list and teleport to that location. It's not a game that will keep me playing for hundreds of hours, but it was an enjoyable adventure. They'll need something better for TES 6.

Second playthrough, 1 main mission done, 50+ hours played 😅

Been modifying my phat ship

D3kS5lH.jpg

Dining room

Q5pMX7d.jpg

Looks cool. I think I'm going to leave most of my ship/outpost building and planet scanning for my NG+ run. I'm certainly building a list of layouts I don't like with the different pre-builts that I've tried. I like the open style look you are going for, some of the pre-builts double as labyrinth simulators. :messenger_beaming:

I think I've crossed 100hrs now and still having a blast with it. It's quite impressive that it is hanging on to the upper part of most played Xbox games list for a month, few games can infiltrate the top 7 or 8 spots for more than a week after release. Nice to see something fresh up there and know that the Xbox players are enjoying it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I absolutely love my space ship. I renamed her Bullfrog. She’s my BF.

F7r2RcHbUAAKBot

She’s two got two levels that are connected via the multi-leveled cockpit. I located the landing bay and docker in spaces that make them immediately accessible to the cockpit. Building/fine tuning this ship has been more fun for me than entire other games.

I can’t wait to see what mods come out in the future to enhance ship building even more.

F7r4NjoaMAAC0BU

Last edited:

Fess

I think I've crossed 100hrs now and still having a blast with it. It's quite impressive that it is hanging on to the upper part of most played Xbox games list for a month, few games can infiltrate the top 7 or 8 spots for more than a week after release. Nice to see something fresh up there and know that the Xbox players are enjoying it.
I don’t play it on Xbox but except for a quick check on Cyberpunk when 2.0 arrived it’s all I’ve been playing for over a month now.

calistan

20 hours in, I've just got to a point where it tells me I'm going to need a grav drive that can jump 21 light years. I haven't touched the ship building stuff (or indeed anything bar the main story, really) so what's the best way to achieve that quickly?

LordOfChaos

Ugh i was so frustrated after talking to the secdef commander, couldn't find a way to exit the ship, couldn't fast travel, turns out it had forgotten to signpost that I also had to talk to a random generic looking woman model standing off to his side first, and the doors were locked before that

I'm kinda ready to call it. Game is on the poopy side.

Antwix

20 hours in, I've just got to a point where it tells me I'm going to need a grav drive that can jump 21 light years. I haven't touched the ship building stuff (or indeed anything bar the main story, really) so what's the best way to achieve that quickly?
buy a ship, upgrade your ship's grav drive via shipbuilder, get lucky with stealing a good ship, or get a ship from a questline (freestar rangers questline will give you a decent ship)

Last edited:

BigLee74

Spent 250000 on the sky penthouse on Neon. What a disappointment.

Spent the next 3 hours furnishing it with the ‘build’ option. Absolutely pointless waste of my time, because I’m not going back there for any good reason.

You DO get a cool view over the top of Neon, but you have to open the door and go outside to see it (with loading screens of course). The penthouse has a huge window but you can’t see out of it at all (I’m guessing a limit of the engine here). Just spectacularly pish on so many levels 😂😂.

This game sometimes!

Antwix

Well, just rolled the credits after a bit over 100 hours. Enjoyed my time with the game a lot. I wasn't super keen on deep diving into outposts or scanning planets since there's not really a point to doing them outside of roleplaying or your own satisfaction so I'm done with the game for now (probably til the DLC drops). I really liked that you get to see your choices at the end, that was a nice touch. RIP me + sarah's relationship

calistan

Oh my word, the mission with the distortions - Entangled. I'm so close to rage uninstalling, it's so badly signposted. I was running around in circles, finally got where I needed to be, but then I got killed due to accidentally bringing up the scanner and switching to the cutter while getting swarmed in a small room. Last save was back at the start of all that crap.

Shubh_C63

Ok the game doesn't let me Set course to the missions now, for temples, especially the 2 I have remaining till Unity. ok Bethesda.

Also should have done the Mantis mission pretty early on. At Lvl30, my stats are better than the Mantis Armor.

Spent the next 3 hours furnishing it with the ‘build’ option. Absolutely pointless waste of my time, because I’m not going back there for any good reason.

You DO get a cool view over the top of Neon, but you have to open the door and go outside to see it (with loading screens of course). The penthouse has a huge window but you can’t see out of it at all (I’m guessing a limit of the engine here). Just spectacularly pish on so many levels 😂😂.

This game sometimes!

I was given a huge empty penthouse in New Atlantis and from the one room you could see just about the entire upper level of the space port. Of course you have to get yourself crouched in the window to see anything, but it still technically out there even when you are inside (or at least some kind of static representation). Haven't seen the Neon one. The New Atlantis penthouse is a much better place than the dump I bought in the Well. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Fess

This game is far from perfect, but it feels like this game was tailor made for me. Easily my favorite game of all time. My play time is insane. I can’t think of an another game in my entire life that has taken a hold of me like this game.
Yeah few games has managed to pull me in like this. Feels weird when all I see outside the OT is hate and negativity, it’s still all I’m playing one month after the release. It has issues but so have all games and at this point it’s clear that it will be 1-3 this year for me.

Can’t wait for the modding community to ramp things up. Things are slowly getting better. Haven’t tried it yet but VBB seems interesting! Don’t know if it’s just created characters or NPCs too.
HzRUqWr.jpg

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah few games has managed to pull me in like this. Feels weird when all I see outside the OT is hate and negativity, it’s still all I’m playing one month after the release. It has issues but so have all games and at this point it’s clear that it will be 1-3 this year for me.

Can’t wait for the modding community to ramp things up. Things are slowly getting better. Haven’t tried it yet but VBB seems interesting! Don’t know if it’s just created characters or NPCs too.
HzRUqWr.jpg
It was always going to be that way. Just like when the first exclusive Call of Duty hits game pass, it will be hated.

This game sometimes!

Yeah. Once I saw the apartment I rolled my previous save. Fuck that, the rented room street level is better furnished and only cost 3k per week.

calistan

I actually find the shooting really satisfying in this game. The way enemies react to getting hit is some of the best i've seen in a while.
Killing them in low gravity is excellent, I like a bit of slow motion rag dolling. Shame it doesn’t have gore like Fallout though, I would definitely go for the Bloody Mess perk in this game.

It was always going to be that way. Just like when the first exclusive Call of Duty hits game pass, it will be hated.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

You knew it would happen. The best approach is just to ignore the meaningless noise and enjoy the game like you've been doing (and it looks like most of the Xbox player base is doing the same). All the deliberate FUD campaigns in the world can't change the players experience while playing, that's the beauty of it.

The coolest shit just happened. I boarded a crimson fleet ship that landed on a planet and while I was fighting the pirates inside the ship took off!
I look out the window and we were really in space. I had no idea this was even possible. Then the ship starts to shake with explosions. It was fighting other ships. Unfortunately it got destroyed with me inside.

Edit: Check out this mod:

Last edited:

Fess

You knew it would happen. The best approach is just to ignore the meaningless noise and enjoy the game like you've been doing (and it looks like most of the Xbox player base is doing the same). All the deliberate FUD campaigns in the world can't change the players experience while playing, that's the beauty of it.
I’m just surprised that exaggerated negativity has completely taken over all conversations.
Is it a ”stop having fun!” scenario?

I have to say though, a single-player game with 100k concurrent players on Steam over a month after launch with a day 1 Gamepass version? Most impressive! 👌

Anyhow, on to more important things. I tried the VBB mod yesterday, which gives ladies some curves. Very important research! 🤓
So, it’s nice in Paradiso, NPCs with hour-glass figures everywhere at the beach.
7QMZnBq.jpg

But unfortunately it don’t change NPCs walking around in the cities, the body morph is locked to wearing a bikini. It is a start though.

Oh and I did the colony ship quest a second time, now in my second playthrough. I’ve been mentioning that quest, cool in theory but incredibly rushed on execution. Pics below.
Look at all the old things, old computer, VHS tape and player etc… Older than 200 years old though. More like 330 years old considering it’s 2330 now.
x7RdleM.jpg

Old earth food…
P3Rz6Rq.jpg

Old books and computers again…
R7wuO5H.jpg

But wait, isn’t that a year year 2330 research station in the corner??? Oh yes it is. How did they get that? And all the computers and operating systems are the same as in the current time outside the ship too. 🤔

You really have to admire the janitors too who has been keeping the ship nice and tidy with no clutter or dirt and barely even any scratches seen after 200 years of use. Impressive! 👏

Flight manual for my bulky ship

cHpyth5.jpg

I have to say though, a single-player game with 100k concurrent players on Steam over a month after launch with a day 1 Gamepass version? Most impressive! 👌

Flight manual for my bulky ship

cHpyth5.jpg

Yeah, it's doing great, at least we know we aren't crazy for liking it, LOL.

Is the flight manual something that gets generated for each ship you build (still haven't messed around with ship building)?

Been doing some of the Ryujin quest line, that one is almost like its own game so far.

Fess

Yeah, it's doing great, at least we know we aren't crazy for liking it, LOL.

Is the flight manual something that gets generated for each ship you build (still haven't messed around with ship building)?

Been doing some of the Ryujin quest line, that one is almost like its own game so far.
Flight manual is a frame you can choose in photo mode.

I like this one too, featuring Andreja
8eiGhZQ.jpg

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

I’m just surprised that exaggerated negativity has completely taken over all conversations.
Is it a ”stop having fun!” scenario?

I have to say though, a single-player game with 100k concurrent players on Steam over a month after launch with a day 1 Gamepass version? Most impressive

Completely agreed I'm happy your enjoying the game as we tend to like very similar games. I can't wait to complete Baldur's Gate 3 to jump back into Starfield.

In terms of the criticism I think it's a mixture of a few things. I do believe that there's justified criticism regarding a few elements of the game that clearly could have been done better that I think is just for someone to bring up

However I do believe some of it can be completely exaggerated in comparison to other AAA releases that we've actually seen, Starfield is not releasing in a State in which it's completely stripped and void of all interesting feature or less scope or anything like this and it's not releasing where there's no base building or no ship building and 0 space battles simply with a promise that later on they'll patch it or update the feature or something like that.

We're talking about a game that is completely feature-rich in regards to its elements that link together to create a very unique experience.

What they do well is the aspect of playing roles it's this idea that you could join a faction or you can role play having an entire family in regards to parents or even a wife or husband, It does well at allowing the universe they created to support the narrative they're trying to tell.

Want to just explore different planets and build outpost based on some sort of study, you can do that
Build an outpost for resource mining...you can do that too
Build an outpost that is simply just a home to store shit, you can do that too.
Space Pirate where all you do is steal ships and cargo? fucking go nuts

They created more then enough to allow for this level of role playing and this simply must be acknowledged

I do think the bumps along the way is justified for someone to criticize but I also believe in its current state as it was actually designed it is a very functional and feature-rich concept that maybe doesn't deserve this type of ridiculous hate compared to other games completely locking basic functions.

In a world where you have people praising "graphics" and then getting angry at all these systems in place by another team that has all this crazy base building to the point where people are building entire fucking towns in this game It's completely insane but I'm not surprised with how shallow some gamers have become.

reinking

Gold Member
I got bored and started a NG+. One of the first things I did is tell my parents the free ride is over because I no longer wanted that trait. Besides, I am now Starborn. Their version of me died. They are now in the Lodge and will not talk to me. First, they take all of my money? Then they freeload off of the company I go to work for? Sheesh. Dad, do you want to tell me about your gambling problem? No way they should be this broke.

Those two quests in the Ryujin part of the game were so unique, be sure to check those out. The first few things that come up with that one aren't representative of how it turns out, just hang in there with it (in the odd case that there is anyone in here that has been sitting on these).

I think I finally understand why this game is so divisive.

I actually enjoy the gameplay loop for the most part, but the actual world of the game is just so barren and devoid of any character. It's like the difference between a movie and a stage play. Every thing in the game feels like stage prop, every conversation feels like talking with someone who's acting. Every conversation is exactly the same with a close up of the person facing you. Rather than BG3 where it's fully motion capture scenes of characters interacting, with framing camera movement and lighting to help tell a compelling story. Kind of remind me of the Red Letter Media's critique of the prequels where everything is "walking, talking, shot, reverse shot, sitting on a couch, and talking...." and how boring that is. Also, no matter you're on a luxury cruise ship, or an abandoned outpost, or some military transport, all the prop looks exactly the same. Which quickly makes you tire of exploration because every place is basically the same.

I actually enjoy the game play, which is why I will finish the game, but the world is so forgettable. When I finish the game I'll very quickly forget everything about it.

Fess

Completely agreed I'm happy your enjoying the game as we tend to like very similar games. I can't wait to complete Baldur's Gate 3 to jump back into Starfield.

In terms of the criticism I think it's a mixture of a few things. I do believe that there's justified criticism regarding a few elements of the game that clearly could have been done better that I think is just for someone to bring up

However I do believe some of it can be completely exaggerated in comparison to other AAA releases that we've actually seen, Starfield is not releasing in a State in which it's completely stripped and void of all interesting feature or less scope or anything like this and it's not releasing where there's no base building or no ship building and 0 space battles simply with a promise that later on they'll patch it or update the feature or something like that.

We're talking about a game that is completely feature-rich in regards to its elements that link together to create a very unique experience.

What they do well is the aspect of playing roles it's this idea that you could join a faction or you can role play having an entire family in regards to parents or even a wife or husband, It does well at allowing the universe they created to support the narrative they're trying to tell.

Want to just explore different planets and build outpost based on some sort of study, you can do that

They created more then enough to allow for this level of role playing and this simply must be acknowledged

I do think the bumps along the way is justified for someone to criticize but I also believe in its current state as it was actually designed it is a very functional and feature-rich concept that maybe doesn't deserve this type of ridiculous hate compared to other games completely locking basic functions.

In a world where you have people praising "graphics" and then getting angry at all these systems in place by another team that has all this crazy base building to the point where people are building entire fucking towns in this game It's completely insane but I'm not surprised with how shallow some gamers have become.
Yeah I mean it’s not a perfect game but people hate on it like it’s a 3/10 lol

I’ve been playing since the early access and can see past the issues at this point, they exist but don’t ruin the whole game. I’d rate it 9/10 without hesitation.
130+ hours total, 50+ on my second run, I’m mostly going about doing my own thing right now, pausing the Constellation work, doing lots of base and ship building instead plus side quests. Finished the Freestar faction this weekend, heard it was the worst one so I had no expectations, was quite fun imo and the end reward was awesome.

Weekend photo session

Enhanced ladies dancing
g000RZa.jpg

And I need to build a base on this planet, love the lush look
hVGqdn3.jpg

I absolutely agree. There are many areas where the criticism is warranted, but this game is filled with amazing things to do, and is a blast to play. The criticism has definitely gone crazy, and it has become cool to hate on the game. I'm about 100 hours in (50 on first playthrough, and 50 since I re-rolled my character) and every single evening I find something new, exciting, fun, or thought provoking. I haven't even spent very much time on Outposts, ship-building, or scanning planets either. I also have only run into a single bug that caused me to have to go to an older save, so people comparing this to buggy messes like Cyberpunk 2077 kinda blows my mind. This is probably the least buggy Bethesda game I've ever played at launch. I'm just not sure how people can really play this game for over 10-15 hours and only see the negative. Honestly I think most of the criticisms are from people who heard it was bad, and are now just parroting the criticisms without even playing. Whatever, their loss.......................

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This will make the closer third person option a lot more viable. I’ll have to find the sweet spot for my taste. I believe the default third person was at minimum (75). The maximum in the photo above is 110.

Top Bottom