• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

mitchman

Gold Member
Where are you meant to get a regular supply of digipicks from? They're really scarce.

I just did a really shoddy mission where I had to get a map from Sam's dad, so I asked Sam to distract him while I stole it. Went to the door, no digipicks, and none for sale anywhere in the city.

Obviously I had to travel all the way back to the starting city. Bought some digipicks, returned to Sam (this is in a different star system) and sure enough he is still there, distracting his dad.

So I pick the lock and pick up the map, only for a ranger to spawn in the room and arrest me for stealing. Had to reload and do it again, this time shutting the door and crouching before picking up the map, so the magic rangers wouldn't see me in that otherwise empty house.

Then I go to tell Sam he can stop distracting his dad now, and he openly starts reading and discussing the map right there. Obviously the dad wanders off without reacting at all.
Every vendor has at least 3 in the Misc section, they respawn every 48 hours or so.

YuLY

Whilst planets ARE procedurally generated, I believe they are the same terrain-wise for everybody.

It has already been proven that adjacent tiles all line up as expected. Got a huge mountain on one tile? You’ll see it if you can land on a tile adjacent to it.

The issue here is that planets are huge, and it’s impossible to select two tiles adjacent to each other as you can’t zoom in close enough to accurately select.

So yeah, if two people on 2 different games select the same planet tile, they will see the same procedurally generated terrain.

What is random are the placement of points of interest within a tile.
Yea I was afraid that I might be unlucky and for example never see a deep jungle planet if they were totally procedurally generated, but it seems to not be the case, its for points of interest and terrain "orientation", but the theme and flora/fauna of the planet is the same for everyone.

So if someone goes on Tau Ceti VIII-b, they will have a biome with temperate forest and this "Cage Brain" plant (yes its called like that lol)
ui65TZ7.png

Last edited:

BigLee74

Yea I was afraid that I might be unlucky and for example never see a deep jungle planet if they were totally procedurally generate, but it seems to not be the case, its for points of interest and terrain "orientation", but the theme and flora/fauna of the planet is the same for everyone.
I believe even the terrain is the same for everybody - as long as they select the same part of the planet to land on obviously.

Last edited:

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Late to reporting in - finished the main line, now in NG+*

I haven't even started to look at setting up any colonies yet and i'm heading towards 5 days play on the clock.

YuLY

Man this game is just special, really the type of game that comes once per generation, there is nothing like it out there. I understand the criticisms, its not a perfect game: I wish we had aliens, I wish the writing wasnt so safe. But man what it does it does so well, the sense of freedom for a space adventure and exploration is unmatched.
qTbnsMg.png

Where are you meant to get a regular supply of digipicks from? They're really scarce.

I just did a really shoddy mission where I had to get a map from Sam's dad, so I asked Sam to distract him while I stole it. Went to the door, no digipicks, and none for sale anywhere in the city.

Obviously I had to travel all the way back to the starting city. Bought some digipicks, returned to Sam (this is in a different star system) and sure enough he is still there, distracting his dad.

So I pick the lock and pick up the map, only for a ranger to spawn in the room and arrest me for stealing. Had to reload and do it again, this time shutting the door and crouching before picking up the map, so the magic rangers wouldn't see me in that otherwise empty house.

Then I go to tell Sam he can stop distracting his dad now, and he openly starts reading and discussing the map right there. Obviously the dad wanders off without reacting at all.
The first shop you go by in Akila (general goods or whatever) on your immediate left sells digipicks. Many shops do, but they only sell a few - so I would typically buy them as I went around selling things to vendors.

calistan

The first shop you go by in Akila (general goods or whatever) on your immediate left sells digipicks. Many shops do, but they only sell a few - so I would typically buy them as I went around selling things to vendors.
That's the one I went to. I'd never bought a digipick before, so I hadn't cleaned out his stock, but this is all he has in the misc section. Nothing but junk. The weapons shop next door doesn't stock them, neither does the bar. Not sure who else is a vendor there.

JXjr3gC.jpg

Did you just start? Digipicks are absolutely not scarce later on, I have 100+ at all times and I pick locks constantly; always look around the area if there's a locked item, there's almost always also a digipick or 2 close to it.
I'm about 11 hours in, and since that door was in a normal house there were no picks nearby. Luckily Sam had plenty to talk to his dad about, while I took a 60 light year detour to the nearest shop.

That's the one I went to. I'd never bought a digipick before, so I hadn't cleaned out his stock, but this is all he has in the misc section. Nothing but junk. The weapons shop next door doesn't stock them, neither does the bar. Not sure who else is a vendor there.

JXjr3gC.jpg

I'm about 11 hours in, and since that door was in a normal house there were no picks nearby. Luckily Sam had plenty to talk to his dad about, while I took a 60 light year detour to the nearest shop.
Definitely weird, I just checked and he surely has em.

qcpZv7j.jpg

This is really a first world problem but I'm starting to get tired of spending over 20 minutes just hopping from planet to planet just to sell my stuff because every vendor gets broke real quick.

I was hoping the "commerce" perk would eventually give vendors more money.

And yes I also sleep sometimes for 48 hours but it gets tedious.

Stupid baby rant off 😄

Yeah, unloading 30 or 40k can be a chore. I've gotten better at selling weapons to the armory shops, and clothes where appropriate and so on. That speeds things up a bit. Not much you can do besides sleep if you've got a bunch of antique items, I haven't found a shortcut for that.

Fess

Man this game is just special, really the type of game that comes once per generation, there is nothing like it out there. I understand the criticisms, its not a perfect game: I wish we had aliens, I wish the writing wasnt so safe. But man what it does it does so well, the sense of freedom for a space adventure and exploration is unmatched.
qTbnsMg.png
Cool place!

Yeah I can’t relate to some of the harsh negativity seen on the net. It has issues but it’s still such a great game. For me it’s the general game loop, combat, build mechanics, variety and density of content in the universe and all the things you can do. Love it.

To make it even better I want: design worthy the mature rating, eat button, food with better health increase, more hand-crafted areas, daily routines for NPCs.

Also I’m hoping the Shattered Space expansion is going to unlock some intelligent cool alien races.

Can’t wait for the real modding tools to arrive as well so modders can go wild, mods hasn’t been as satisfying as I hoped for yet.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Alright, credits are rolling and ready for the next step.

Overall, greatly enjoyed my time. There's a lot to love and hate about this game and I go away with an overall positive experience.
About 83 hours to complete 1st playthrough.

My saves are backed up and ready for NG+. I hope the DLCs hint more about The Creators and where the Artifacts are from.

I missed Barrets loyalty questline and the Power that comes there. Just added that skill via console command to complete the set.

And also nice twist that early Grav Drives are what doomed Earth. Game definitely needed more story beats about Earth because I didn't feel my character yelling about how we doomed our home planet when we have no connection to it.

Last edited:

calistan

I keep feeling like my choices have no consequence at all. I just found a ship full of colonists, and rather than settle on some other part of the giant planet they'd arrived at, they only wanted to land at one particular spot they'd never seen.

The people already living on that spot were a bunch of dicks who wanted me to pay out of my own pocket to buy a grav drive so the colonist could find a different planet. I opted to send the colonists down there to become slaves, but that meant I got lumbered with a big list of resources to collect for them first. I mean, why should I bother?

Anyway, I decided to blow up the colony ship, because it sounded more fun than scavenging for metal and glue. Nice explosion, but there was no comeback for that at all. My character hasn't been marked as evil, my crew didn't even mention it.

I got more hassle for accidentally scaring one of them by testing out the first special power on a sandwich. He ran around yelling until we went into hyperspace, and when I landed at the Lodge I got shot at by the local security.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have mostly stayed away from this thread to not fill it with my negativity but I feel like I might be playing the game wrong so please bear with me on this. I want to enjoy this game because of the stunning visuals and good gunplay, but the game just goes out of its way to funnel me into dialogue scenes and boring fetch quests filled with constant loading screens.

I have been doing faction quests so far. For the story, i stopped after the villain attacked the lodge and the eye. Should I continue the story before finishing up the faction quests? the vanguard quest was ok, nothing special. decent. but the crimson fleet quest which is supposedly the best questline in the game feels completely void of any action. i thought being a space pirate would be cool but 90% of the missions are talking or stealing stuff as if this is the thieves guild questline from skyrim. its so fucking boring.

I have barely done anything with ship building, outpost building, and weapon building. im nearly 40 hours in. By this point in Fallout 4, i had all faction quests done, my sanctuary had all kinds of awesome systems built, my weapon customizations were off the charts. here i feel like i am playing a dialogue simulator with a few shootouts here and there. All the cool shit is hidden behind skills which are hard to earn because the game is so stingy with its XP. Doing side missions is just boring and repetitive since they keep repeating two bases over and over again.

I guess I can do loyalty quests and see where they take me but i HATE talking to people. Its constant and its not fun to play as a jackass because you dont get to see your character say those lines and be a dick.

Please tell me im playing the game the wrong and let me know if there is an optimal way to play the game. I loved building the sanctuary in fallout 4, but havent even bothered to build outposts because there is just no point and i never have the materials.

Last edited:

Raven117

I have mostly stayed away from this thread to not fill it with my negativity but I feel like I might be playing the game wrong so please bear with me on this. I want to enjoy this game because of the stunning visuals and good gunplay, but the game just goes out of its way to funnel me into dialogue scenes and boring fetch quests filled with constant loading screens.

I have been doing faction quests so far. For the story, i stopped after the villain attacked the lodge and the eye. Should I continue the story before finishing up the faction quests? the vanguard quest was ok, nothing special. decent. but the crimson fleet quest which is supposedly the best questline in the game feels completely void of any action. i thought being a space pirate would be cool but 90% of the missions are talking or stealing stuff as if this is the thieves guild questline from skyrim. its so fucking boring.

I have barely done anything with ship building, outpost building, and weapon building. im nearly 40 hours in. By this point in Fallout 4, i had all faction quests done, my sanctuary had all kinds of awesome systems built, my weapon customizations were off the charts. here i feel like i am playing a dialogue simulator with a few shootouts here and there. All the cool shit is hidden behind skills which are hard to earn because the game is so stingy with its XP. Doing side missions is just boring and repetitive since they keep repeating two bases over and over again.

I guess I can do loyalty quests and see where they take me but i HATE talking to people. Its constant and its not fun to play as a jackass because you dont get to see your character say those lines and be a dick.

Please tell me im playing the game the wrong and let me know if there is an optimal way to play the game. I loved building the sanctuary in fallout 4, but havent even bothered to build outposts because there is just no point and i never have the materials.
Someone want to tell him?

Gt111

Neo Member

Hey! just got my first power and did a bounty mission (from mission board).. it was awesome..
the gunplay is great and just trying out the powers was cool..
I can only comment on what I've liked so far!
Personally the scenery is great.. so I agree with you..
looking forward to making slow progress in the game..
I def dont want to rush... I think part of what I like is how it looks..

Part of the missions such as delivery missions if I can say has kinda allowed me to see the vastness of the galaxy map… the world is huge..

I have played game for 70+ hours. I have no idea what to tell you.

Game is stingy when it comes to combat encounters.

For 70 hrs i have shifted gears and started playing completely differently a bunch of times. Initially I was scanning planets. Right now, am searching for all handcrafted areas they have made.

But some times I get a strong urge to get into a lot of combat. At that point I just enter one of the facilities on planet surface. They always have long combat encounters.

You can play it in a lot of ways. Only you can figure out which way is fun to you.

Fess

This will be a long post, read the first paragraph below and then decide if it’s worth going further.

Don’t force yourself to play a game you’re not enjoying. Can’t say you’re doing much wrong tbh, maybe just not try to do it all at once. But if you don’t like it much it’s understandable to go through the things people talk about before dropping it. I’d say it’s a waste of time if you’re not hooked in 40 hours. I went through my first playthrough in 81 hours, thought the first 2-5 hours were so-so, then I started liking it and eventually it was a 9/10. Finished it and instantly started over and is 50+ hours into the next one with only the absolute first main mission finished, like I haven’t even had a Constellation member on my ship, enjoying it as much or even more now.

That said, you’re still super early in the main quest, if you feel like it you could do a couple more of those missions to see if you like where things are going there. But the game loop don’t change much besides a (spoiler)Skyrim-shout and Returnal like progression you’ve probably heard about unless you’ve stayed off the internet.

I can tell you how I play though. I roleplay, always pretend to be a character and try to imagine what such a character would do, limited gameplay-related roleplaying or not this is what I do. I only did one faction (Crimson) in my first playthrough as a pirate. I’m doing my second faction (Freestar) in my second and current playthrough as a Freestar settler. Haven’t tried anything else, might try UC eventually if it fits a character. No rush.

But I like the game loop. A ton. Makes staying in the universe and do escapism enjoyable.

Regarding outpost building, it’s like a game within the game. Don’t bother if you don’t like No Man’s Sky, not having resources and exploring to find resources is what it’s about, if you don’t like that then it’s an extreme time sinker. Resource management and fetch questing combined with exploration, to find stuff, it’s what it’s. I didn’t touch this in my 1st playthrough. Focusing on it now in my 2nd. I mark the stuff I need for research and go out to find it, then build some and mark the things I want and go find that, etc. It’s oddly entertaining and addictive, imo.

Spaceship building is another time sinker, but more about creativity than resource management. You need money though. I spent a couple hours yesterday building a new one, eventually had no money left so had to pause it and will add the final stuff after getting more money.

As for the talks, if I don’t think people say anything interesting I just skip through it. I read books when I want to read so not really in it to read much here tbh, it’s a rare thing for me to enjoy story-focused games so I’m more into game systems. I like some stories told here though and some environmental story-telling.

I do enjoy the combat a lot and very much enjoy going to a planet and stumbling onto bases or raiding a spaceship that landed. Trying to mix up my combat and try different weapons and strategies. Tried a melee and sniper focus on my first playthrough, going for extreme range and extreme close-up. It was fun. On this playthrough I’m going with movement combined with blasting a shotgun. Tons of fun.

Haven’t done any weapon modification yet, might try that in another playthrough. Seems interesting.

Long post, sorry, don’t know what more to say. In short don’t force yourself to playing a game you’re not enjoying. Personally I love so much about it that I could see myself playing this for a long long time, the plan right now is to just pause to go through Spider-Man 2 and whatever else that comes along and then go back again. For me it’s the Elden Ring effect again, it’s taking over, it’s my new main course, everything else just became side dishes. But I’ve seen others drop it before even reaching the Lodge. So, don’t overthink it. In general I think the hobby is focusing too much on finding games that are somehow great for everyone and personally I don’t think they exist.

Last edited:

YuLY

Wait so if you find a Guide with the same number, it wont give a permanent upgrade? Fml I found another one with 5% more ballistic wep dmg but it was 06 and I already had it. Brutal.

Mephisto40

qTbnsMg.png
Honestly, no mans sky on the switch looks better than that...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This will be a long post, read the first paragraph below and then decide if it’s worth going further.

Don’t force yourself to play a game you’re not enjoying. Can’t say you’re doing much wrong tbh, maybe just not try to do it all at once. But if you don’t like it much it’s understandable to go through the things people talk about before dropping it. I’d say it’s a waste of time if you’re not hooked in 40 hours. I went through my first playthrough in 81 hours, thought the first 2-5 hours were so-so, then I started liking it and eventually it was a 9/10. Finished it and instantly started over and is 50+ hours into the next one with only the absolute first main mission finished, like I haven’t even had a Constellation member on my ship, enjoying it as much or even more now.

That said, you’re still super early in the main quest, if you feel like it you could do a couple more of those missions to see if you like where things are going there. But the game loop don’t change much besides a (spoiler)Skyrim-shout and Returnal like progression you’ve probably heard about unless you’ve stayed off the internet.

I can tell you how I play though. I roleplay, always pretend to be a character and try to imagine what such a character would do, limited gameplay-related roleplaying or not this is what I do. I only did one faction (Crimson) in my first playthrough as a pirate. I’m doing my second faction (Freestar) in my second and current playthrough as a Freestar settler. Haven’t tried anything else, might try UC eventually if it fits a character. No rush.

But I like the game loop. A ton. Makes staying in the universe and do escapism enjoyable.

Regarding outpost building, it’s like a game within the game. Don’t bother if you don’t like No Man’s Sky, not having resources and exploring to find resources is what it’s about, if you don’t like that then it’s an extreme time sinker. Resource management and fetch questing combined with exploration, to find stuff, it’s what it’s. I didn’t touch this in my 1st playthrough. Focusing on it now in my 2nd. I mark the stuff I need for research and go out to find it, then build some and mark the things I want and go find that, etc. It’s oddly entertaining and addictive, imo.

Spaceship building is another time sinker, but more about creativity than resource management. You need money though. I spent a couple hours yesterday building a new one, eventually had no money left so had to pause it and will add the final stuff after getting more money.

As for the talks, if I don’t think people say anything interesting I just skip through it. I read books when I want to read so not really in it to read much here tbh, it’s a rare thing for me to enjoy story-focused games so I’m more into game systems. I like some stories told here though and some environmental story-telling.

I do enjoy the combat a lot and very much enjoy going to a planet and stumbling onto bases or raiding a spaceship that landed. Trying to mix up my combat and try different weapons and strategies. Tried a melee and sniper focus on my first playthrough, going for extreme range and extreme close-up. It was fun. On this playthrough I’m going with movement combined with blasting a shotgun. Tons of fun.

Haven’t done any weapon modification yet, might try that in another playthrough. Seems interesting.

Long post, sorry, don’t know what more to say. In short don’t force yourself to playing a game you’re not enjoying. Personally I love so much about it that I could see myself playing this for a long long time, the plan right now is to just pause to go through Spider-Man 2 and whatever else that comes along and then go back again. For me it’s the Elden Ring effect again, it’s taking over, it’s my new main course, everything else just became side dishes. But I’ve seen others drop it before even reaching the Lodge. So, don’t overthink it. In general I think the hobby is focusing too much on finding games that are somehow great for everyone and personally I don’t think they exist.
Thanks for the detailed response. Really sucks to see that this is pretty much it. I was hoping for more from this game.

I will do some story missions and see where that takes me.

Fess

Thanks for the detailed response. Really sucks to see that this is pretty much it. I was hoping for more from this game.

No prob, and a minor hint there is a NASA quest coming a couple quests ahead that you could like, plays out a bit differently.

And you should try some spaceship building before you drop it, that has been surprisingly fun for me.

Also I see some hype up NG+ on Twitter, says something will happen after several runs. No idea what that’s about, I started fresh in like an hour after seeing the credits roll.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think I’ve spent more time space ship building than with some other big games entirely.

I haven’t even touched outpost stuff really, other than quick builds for materials like aluminum, iron, platinum, titanium, etc.

Oh, quick helpful note. If you want to level up your persuasion quickly, go to the areas where you can find people to hire for your crew and use them, without hiring them. You can go back to them at a later time and persuade them again.

clarky

Gold Member
Been AFK for 2-3 weeks. Looking forward to jumping back into this and boxing it off in the next few days.

If it soothes you, you are not the only one - and I bought the damn Xbox for this.

It’s my own fault I guess. Should have known after Fallout 4. Bethesda is knee deep into creating generic games that look like out of an automatic generator. Great if you like the play around with all the systems but horrible if you like unique locations, quests and characters.

Last edited:
I couldn't get any of those damn stealth melee hits required to advance the chameleon skill if my life depended on it. At least not in real combat, LOL.

So, I've landed on a planet with some Fauna and have been being a true bastard to those poor animals. Anyone actually get good at stealth melee hits on the spacers/pirates? Seems like I'm missing part of the equation in this area, I've tried with and without a spacesuit and I have the Stealth skill maxed already. 🤷‍♂️

At least I have chameleon unlocked now, that and a good EM gun should let me handle these more stealthy mission for the UC and Ryujin.

ebevan91

Been AFK for 2-3 weeks. Looking forward to jumping back into this and boxing it off in the next few days.

I haven't played since Cyberpunk 2.0 dropped. Once I finish Phantom Liberty and BG3 (almost done with BG3) I'll be playing Starfield full time. I've put like 60 hours into the game and have barely done anything in Akila other than the bank robbery.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So guys the game is out almost for a month now, over a month if you count early access... where are the patches? It seems like every other day there's a patch to BG3 (I just got another). Where is native DLSS support and FOV slider? HELLO?

YuLY

By far my least favorite place in the game. Maybe because it's trying to be dark and serious and it just simply doesn't work.
I feel like we had to get mugged or at least an attempt by the Disciples gang or something. All bark no bite. Still, a lot of quests in that city, some are decent.

Just cleared an outpost without ever getting detected. You still have the option to go in guns blazing if you want, but the slow, methodical approach offered by the stealth/chameleon skills is a nice changeup. Now time for me to at least get back to one of the faction quests, I've spent the last 50hrs or so just kicking around.

Last edited:

Luipadre

So guys the game is out almost for a month now, over a month if you count early access... where are the patches? It seems like every other day there's a patch to BG3 (I just got another). Where is native DLSS support and FOV slider? HELLO?
Ikr. Not only that, but a fucking brightness/contrast slider is missing too.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
They you haven't played it for long enough or you just not paying attention.
I definitely haven’t been there long. I’m still in the middle of trying to escape that one area. And my only other involvement with the city prior was going to the Ryujin (or how ever it’s spelled) spacecraft store. It has some amazing specialty engines.

Top Bottom