• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
lol, in all seriousness though.....THATS MY CHARACER, DEAL WITH IT! lol

lolz, ok ok...here is my real character.

Fk8w5Nm.jpg
Qjne9Nx.jpg

(Note, always make your character WITHOUT the beard or any hair and then add the hair last as you still want to shape the face correctly as I'm sure some barber exist in Starfield lol)

I wanted to go for a character who's back story Is a military brought whose parents served, So he has some gun experience, he was rebellious teenager joining gangs and stealing ships to go on joy space rides lol

VUi7CKp.jpg

Now that his parents are retired, He wants to take care of them because their military pension is not enough, So he wants to turn a new leaf and actually get a job so that's how we ends up in the mining facility

( I don't really care for this opening btw, I would rather the beginning be like fallout 3 where you are a child because I think in this type of universe there's a lot more you actually have to learn about that world which means maybe it makes sense to teach the player over the course of a few missions from them being a toddler teenager and you could slowly apply stuff, Like if they join the military or a gang or the church lol )

He finds out working hard doesn't really pay and he wants to go back to his roots to help his parents by joining the space pirate gangs lol So he lies to them about keeping the mining job but he's really doing pirate shit lol

(You know bootlegged DVD's and cracking Crysis exe that type of shit)

F3Y1scA.jpg
auqwhXc.jpg

I was gonna go-between gangster and scoundrel and I wasn't really sure what the massive difference was but read online that scoundrel seems to be more so for the space pirate.

Also removing the color filter makes the game absolutely amazing looking.

UOSJ36E.jpg

Cg1NKQP.jpg

The detail is like nothing I've ever seen before in an actual game regarding how they do the interior of the ships.

Will have a more detailed impression on the game in the coming weeks when I'm able to complete it (or most of it) lol

Pimpbaa

Anyone getting “stick drift” on Xbox after the latest patch? Not sure if I would call it stick drift, it’s just the screen pans up randomly at a certain speed (and rotates items sometimes while looking at them). I’m not even touch the stick when it happens.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Anyone getting “stick drift” on Xbox after the latest patch? Not sure if I would call it stick drift, it’s just the screen pans up randomly at a certain speed (and rotates items sometimes while looking at them). I’m not even touch the stick when it happens.
No. Try to mess around with the sensitivities.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Additional thoughts after being finished for a few days and earning all achievements.

I still maintain its a decent game. Glad I played it, but the 7/10 reviews were far more accurate than the 10/10 reviews. It had too many flaws for me to be considered an all time great. It does many things well: gunplay, faction quests were all fun. But the lack of exploration, tedious ship building and constant loading screens really killed the immersion and excitement I've come to expect from a Bethesda game. Few things were more exciting then coming across a settlement or something off the beaten path that become a full blown questline or Daedric quest. That was what MADE a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game. We were robbed of that in Starfield. I can handle things such as stiff character animation, less than stellar graphics and bad companions, but exploration taking a quantity over quality approach was unforgiveable.

My only Fallout related excitement comes from the Fallout 4 next gen update and the Fallout 3 remaster, assuming it's real.
On to Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty and then Spiderman 2 or AC Mirage.

This did start to happen to me recently, I just figured the controller was toast. Switched to another one and didn't have the issue, the issue was even effecting the dashboard for me so I think it was the controller in my case.

calistan

Additional thoughts after being finished for a few days and earning all achievements.

I still maintain its a decent game. Glad I played it, but the 7/10 reviews were far more accurate than the 10/10 reviews. It had too many flaws for me to be considered an all time great. It does many things well: gunplay, faction quests were all fun. But the lack of exploration, tedious ship building and constant loading screens really killed the immersion and excitement I've come to expect from a Bethesda game. Few things were more exciting then coming across a settlement or something off the beaten path that become a full blown questline or Daedric quest. That was what MADE a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game. We were robbed of that in Starfield. I can handle things such as stiff character animation, less than stellar graphics and bad companions, but exploration taking a quantity over quality approach was unforgiveable.

My only Fallout related excitement comes from the Fallout 4 next gen update and the Fallout 3 remaster, assuming it's real.
Yes, I didn't really get much out of it other than some menu screens leading to countless unconnected areas. I think it's a game where you need to use your imagination to fill in the gaps - like pretend you're actually adventuring through space instead of just loading yet another scene where you're in a ship with a slightly different planet in the background.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Started a new game. New traits that I missed on the first time around (Kid's Stuff, Dream Home, Adoring Fan) + I'm playing in 21:9 and with different approach to game/exploration.

Stole my first ship in the very first space fight with Vasco. Protocol Indigo my ass!

Landed on Kreet, boost packed to the roof to quickly kill the pirate leader there. Now I'm exploring New Atlantis properly.

vYm2abr.jpg

1A4gFjP.jpg

Started a new game. New traits that I missed on the first time around (Kid's Stuff, Dream Home, Adoring Fan) + I'm playing in 21:9 and with different approach to game/exploration.

Stole my first ship in the very first space fight with Vasco. Protocol Indigo my ass!

Landed on Kreet, boost packed to the roof to quickly kill the pirate leader there. Now I'm exploring New Atlantis properly.

vYm2abr.jpg

1A4gFjP.jpg
I tried that out last night. Thought it'd be fun to reroll now I know how everything works but the leveling system and upgrade system are both so obnoxious and grindy that I noped out and went back to my level 100 character. I'd rather just new game plus that one again. If they hadn't included new game plus I'd probably never play this again. I played fallout 4 and skyrim dozens of times. This game is such a step back in so many ways.

Shubh_C63

Just got to NG+, and I liked the ending.

But seriously going to NG10+ might be insanity. Most runs would be just picking one alternate decision Faction quest and then the Main ones. This will last me till NG4+ MAX.

Also feeling the lack of ammo early on and a weak ass ship again does not feel good. I have given up on outpost building because there's LITERALLY no incentive to it. The game doesn't even introduces it, absolutely worthless addition for people to use...just because its there. Do 3 cargo missions and earn XP in the most non fun manner, that's it ?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I tried that out last night. Thought it'd be fun to reroll now I know how everything works but the leveling system and upgrade system are both so obnoxious and grindy that I noped out and went back to my level 100 character. I'd rather just new game plus that one again. If they hadn't included new game plus I'd probably never play this again. I played fallout 4 and skyrim dozens of times. This game is such a step back in so many ways.

I enjoy being under powered in these games and my first character reached a point where I was pretty much unstoppable. Plus I want to hang out with adoring fan and sadly you can’t add new traits in NG+. So far, so good.

Just got to NG+, and I liked the ending.

But seriously going to NG10+ might be insanity. Most runs would be just to one alternate decision Faction quest and then the Main ones. This will last me till NG4+ MAX.
If you like the gameplay it's probably worth doing EVERYTHING again at least once just for the starborn variants you get in dialogue and quest changes. It's a pretty decent new game plus really.

I enjoy being under powered in these games and my first character reached a point where I was pretty much unstoppable. Plus I want to hang out with adoring fan and sadly you can’t add new traits in NG+. So far, so good.
Yeah the adoring fan is great but I took him in my 1st run so I don't have that problem. Can always bump up the difficulty if like me you started out on easy :D OId people reasons!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah the adoring fan is great but I took him in my 1st run so I don't have that problem. Can always bump up the difficulty if like me you started out on easy :D OId people reasons!

I was playing on very hard from the start. I actually put exactly 0 points in combat skill tree my first time. And the point where you become OP still came too fast for my liking. Anyway I’m not intending on finishing the game for the second time, just gonna mess around.

Shubh_C63

If you like the gameplay it's probably worth doing EVERYTHING again at least once just for the starborn variants you get in dialogue and quest changes. It's a pretty decent new game plus really.
Yeah I plan to run the Main quest again with the Starborn dialogues and missed the Ryuujin quest and will side with Crimson on NG+2

I was playing on very hard from the start. I actually put exactly 0 points in combat skill tree my first time. And the point where you become OP still came too fast for my liking. Anyway I’m not intending on finishing the game for the second time, just gonna mess around.
Yeah I cant do that anymore. I'm closing in on 60 and can barely remember what reflexes are! I need a little assistance these days.

Yeah I plan to run the Main quest again with the Starborn dialogues and missed the Ryuujin quest and will side with Crimson on NG+2
A certain benefit you get from that faction quest line is one of the few things that carries over to ng+ and it's really useful! Well worth doing. as for the crimson fleet I sided with them 2nd time as well. More fun but as usual with bethesda games nobody bloody notices. Well except for all the preachy companions that is. They take it about as well as you'd expect!

Fess

I love the ship building, I don’t think it’s tedious at all. And on PC the loading is 1-3 seconds so that has never bothered me. No idea if it’s much worse on console.

However, the things that drag it down for me is:

1. The tame design. I hate it, can’t wait for modders to take this oddly 18 rated game out from baby mode.

2. Fast travel is too easy. In base building I understand that it can be tedious when collecting resources to have to walk to the ship, then fly into space, then go to a map and fast travel, then go a map again to choose landing spot, then land on a planet, then take your resources to your base. Etc.
But some space journey needs to be forced to be slower. I spend hours building a ship, I want to have a reason to be on the ship. Fast traveling from inside a cave into the middle of a city is bullshit tbh. Make planet traversal faster if going back to the ship gets tedious.

3. Script is rushed. There are tons of cool scenarios but they all fall flat on their face in execution.

4. Conversation camera. It can be wonky, sometimes showing a wall infront of a character instead of the character talking, and the auto lip sync tech is cool but can sometimes trigger scenarios where the supposed emotions clash with the script.

5. Main story was cool for awhile but turned into a marathon of doing the same things by the end.
Still, this is the first Bethesda game I’ve finished and starting over for a second run has be fun so it’s still great.

6. Over-encumbered… Please halp. Do I need to cheat and use mods to avoid having every single raid end with me carrying too much? Resources needs to weigh less.

But in the end it’s still a 9/10 for me. This is on PC. Would be 8/10 on Xbox, 30fps was a huge hype killer for me. I just like the things it do well so much that it push it back up on higher scores for me. It’s kinda how TOTK is likely going to be my GOTY even though the framerate honestly sucks. The good things outweigh the bad things for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I love the ship building, I don’t think it’s tedious at all. And on PC the loading is 1-3 seconds so that has never bothered me. No idea if it’s much worse on console.

However, the things that drag it down for me is:

1. The tame design. I hate it, can’t wait for modders to take this oddly 18 rated game out from baby mode.

2. Fast travel is too easy. In base building I understand that it can be tedious when collecting resources to have to walk to the ship, then fly into space, then go to a map and fast travel, then go a map again to choose landing spot, then land on a planet, then take your resources to your base. Etc.
But some space journey needs to be forced to be slower. I spend hours building a ship, I want to have a reason to be on the ship. Fast traveling from inside a cave into the middle of a city is bullshit tbh. Make planet traversal faster if going back to the ship gets tedious.

3. Script is rushed. There are tons of cool scenarios but they all fall flat on their face in execution.

4. Conversation camera. It can be wonky, sometimes showing a wall infront of a character instead of the character talking, and the auto lip sync tech is cool but can sometimes trigger scenarios where the supposed emotions clash with the script.

5. Main story was cool for awhile but turned into a marathon of doing the same things by the end.
Still, this is the first Bethesda game I’ve finished and starting over for a second run has be fun so it’s still great.

6. Over-encumbered… Please halp. Do I need to cheat and use mods to avoid having every single raid end with me carrying too much? Resources needs to weigh less.

But in the end it’s still a 9/10 for me. This is on PC. Would be 8/10 on Xbox, 30fps was a huge hype killer for me. I just like the things it do well so much that it push it back up on higher scores for me. It’s kinda how TOTK is likely going to be my GOTY even though the framerate honestly sucks. The good things outweigh the bad things for me.
Like I said, the lack of exploration and constant loading screens, really sucked much of the enjoyment out. It would have been 1000X better with a fraction of the systems and fully fleshed out worlds.

Fess

It would have been 1000X better with a fraction of the systems and fully fleshed out worlds.
Yeah I agree on that. I checked my stats for my 2 playthroughs.
Playthrough 1. 51 planets landed on. 80 hours played. Finished.
Playthrough 2. 28 planets landed on. 60 hours played. 1 main quest completed.
There are 1000+ planets 😵‍💫

Pimpbaa

This did start to happen to me recently, I just figured the controller was toast. Switched to another one and didn't have the issue, the issue was even effecting the dashboard for me so I think it was the controller in my case.

Fuck, my controller hasn’t even got a full year of use yet. Was hoping it would last until that new Xbox series controller with the fancy rumble like the PS5 and Switch has comes out. Need to check it out with other games tonight and try removing the battery pack (to see if it’s just a controller firmware glitch), plus I can adjust the dead zones on the sticks if that is indeed the problem.. I’ve had controllers with both drift and fucked up potentiometers, but this is weird I can never manually make it doe it (it’s easy to make a controller with sticks that drift to exhibit the problem) . I’ll be just looking at an item in my inventory, and not touching a thing on my controller and it will just start to randomly rotate the item. It’s always the same rate too.

edit: fuck me, it’s the controller. Doing the same thing in other games. thought there was an option to fix deadzones in Xbox settings but i was wrong. Dead joy cons, dead ds4 controllers from last gen, and now I got a near useless Xbox Series controller. PS5 controllers seems to be fine so far for me, but that doesn’t help me play this game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Like I said, the lack of exploration and constant loading screens, really sucked much of the enjoyment out. It would have been 1000X better with a fraction of the systems and fully fleshed out worlds.

Most of these planets are copy/paste. I’ve visited like 200 worlds and you very quickly see the same stuff. From landscape/biomes to fauna and flora.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Most of these planets are copy/paste. I’ve visited like 200 worlds and you very quickly see the same stuff. From landscape/biomes to fauna and flora.
It really is the worst kind of procedural generation.
Which grinds my gears, because I love procedural generation - but shit like this gives it a bad rep. There is 0 thought or design put into the generation, it's just "do generic planet, then randomly place 4-5 things, done".
Ugh!

Last edited:

Fess

How big of a problem is this? I’ve only been to about 100 planets as said earlier but from my experience No Man’s Sky is much worse on this and that’s still one of my all time favorites. The temples are identical, and I’ve been into some cave where I feel like I’ve been there before, there are outpost structures that are the same too, and fauna as well. But for the most part I don’t even think about it being copy/paste, I don’t know maybe I’m so used to it from playing so much NMS, or
maybe I haven’t explored enough?
No big deal for me anyhow.

Mephisto40

How big of a problem is this? I’ve only been to about 100 planets as said earlier but from my experience No Man’s Sky is much worse on this and that’s still one of my all time favorites. The temples are identical, and I’ve been into some cave where I feel like I’ve been there before, there are outpost structures that are the same too, and fauna as well. But for the most part I don’t even think about it being copy/paste, I don’t know maybe I’m so used to it from playing so much NMS, or
The game literally only has about 10 planet landmarks, that are copy / pasted onto every planet

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Having a couple types of moons that are duplicated over and over again it's not a big problem in my eyes. But having fauna/flora that is duplicated is a problem. There are 'only' like 100 planets with life on it. Each planet has a couple of fauna and flora. Would it be really that difficult to design 500 different plants? I just checked and there are 300k+ different plants on Earth, so it's not like it's that hard to find an inspiration. Same goes for animals.

But all of that is really nothing compared to copy/pasted points of interests. Caves are completely pointless. Structures have the same layout. Same enemy placement. Same loot placement. Same little stories inside. I've played for 200 hours and only found 2 variations of a crashed ship location. And I've seen over a dozen crashed ships. It's all CTRL+C ... CTRL+V.

Shubh_C63

The game literally only has about 10 planet landmarks, that are copy / pasted onto every planet
The map-base interiors really stunned me. I let go on many things but such extremely lazy design copy paste areas on all of your planets in a 2023 game. Isn't procedurally generation a thing, you have your creation dev it you're saying you only has 3-5 unique interiors at most ?

All the planet bases looks the same inside.

DanielG165

Finally got Sarah to fall in love with my character, now it’s wedding planning time apparently lol. Next order of business is to level up enough to get more crew members on my ship, so I’m still fairly early into the game, but am also still having quite an enjoyable time.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The map-base interiors really stunned me. I let go on many things but such extremely lazy design copy paste areas on all of your planets in a 2023 game. Isn't procedurally generation a thing, you have your creation dev it you're saying you only has 3-5 unique interiors at most ?

All the planet bases looks the same inside.

It's a major design fail. They should design each room as separate building block that connects to other blocks and have procedural generation create infinite number of layouts.

I wouldn't mind exploring 10 cryo-labs if each lab would be slightly altered. But having exactly the same location on different planets is just absurd. On my first run I stumbled upon my first cryo-lab outside of Cydonia only to be directed by main story shortly after to... exactly the same cryo-lab but on the other side of known universe. And I mean exactly the same, down to contraband placement and little notes about what went wrong there.

I'm at about 110 hours now, 50 on my original character and 60 on my re-rolled character, and my criticisms are now much clearer:

This is my number one complaint. What pansie ass was in charge of writing? Did they do everything by committee? The world building is excellent, and when you read the writing in some of the quests you have some nuance or personality, but all of the companions have terrible and boring writing. They are obviously trying to offend no one, but it ends up being annoying for everyone. Everything is tame. The atrocities they use in the world building portion are excellent, but not really seen during actual game play. Sex, sexuality, or being sexy is apparently completely off the table in the future. There are wacko religious cultists, but where are the regular religious people? There is just so little nuance or difference between characters. They need to hire better writers and then get the fuck out of the way as they come up with a believable variety of characters. This isn't to say I'm not enjoying the missions, cause there are a bunch of good ones. I just think that most characters are unrealistic and one-note.

2. The absolute tedium of the menus is driving me nuts. In and out of menus all the time for basic functions is driving me batty. If you are going to give me so many goddamn menus then at least give me the ability to do more with them. Want to see what a resource can be used for in crafting? That should be in it's info, or in a menu, or in a database. None of that exists in a future world where they have relatively high technology? Really???? Totally braindead way of doing things. When I explore a planet it should be added to some kind of database that I can search through, and as I discover different resources, temples, and points of interest then those should be searchable as well. Picked up a gun and now have new perks on it? Both the gun and it's perks should be added to my encyclopedia of knowledge. There should be a menu for my outposts as well, so I can see how they are doing, if they've been attacked, what resources I have, etc...... This is basic shit to me, and it drives me nuts it does not exist in this game.

3. Ordering things. I should be able to pay for delivery of everything I buy. I should be able to have cargo delivered from the stores to my ship or the lodge or my houses for a fee. Heck, I should be able to pay others to ship resources to my outposts. Maybe one of the delivery guys is bold and decides to steal all the shit I just bought. Boom, there's a mission to go track his ass down and get my materials back. Having to run to a vendor, make a deal, buy a bunch of resources, and schlep it all back to wherever I'm going is ridiculous in an age where other people are paying me to ship goods to their planet.

4. Vehicles need to happen. They had horses in Skyrim, so I'm sure they can get vehicles working. Every ship should have a vehicle bay, and it should be upgrade-able. Not having vehicles but then having the lunar roving vehicle that was actually used when we landed on the moon in a museum is absolutely silly. Jetpacks are nice, and I love jetting around a planet, but that doesn't make up for not having vehicles. You could easily make it so that vehicles don't work well on certain planets or in certain levels of gravity. Can't cross water, but try anyway? Oops, you just sunk your rover. The possibilities for this are endless.

5. The economy sucks. This is typical in all Bethesda games, but I could forgive it in Fallout where the world is all upside down and backwards. It just feels like a missed opportunity here. If a planet is in a system that has a ton of Aluminum then it should be cheap, whereas if they don't have any naturally occuring then it should be more expensive. When I drop 5000 of some item I just crafted then it should affect the prices for that item. Again, make an "online" market for larger quantities of things. Hopetech is building ships and needs a bunch of a certain thing? You should be able build it in your outposts using manaufacturing and ship it to them automatically on a contract. Are you always late with your deliveries? They are going to pay you less. There is so much possibility here, and absolutely not one minute has been spent on this mechanic.

I know it sounds like I'm really ragging on the game, but I'm not. I'm still having a blast, and it's my favorite Bethesda game since Skyrim, I just feel it could have been so much better. No one has done a good space RPG with this much scope and player choice, so that is what it really has going for it, but if they added these things then I think it would have been a game for the ages. Probably looking at the current iteration of this game as an 8.5 out of 10, even though it is so addictive for me.

Fess

I'm at about 110 hours now, 50 on my original character and 60 on my re-rolled character, and my criticisms are now much clearer:

This is my number one complaint. What pansie ass was in charge of writing? Did they do everything by committee? The world building is excellent, and when you read the writing in some of the quests you have some nuance or personality, but all of the companions have terrible and boring writing. They are obviously trying to offend no one, but it ends up being annoying for everyone. Everything is tame. The atrocities they use in the world building portion are excellent, but not really seen during actual game play. Sex, sexuality, or being sexy is apparently completely off the table in the future. There are wacko religious cultists, but where are the regular religious people? There is just so little nuance or difference between characters. They need to hire better writers and then get the fuck out of the way as they come up with a believable variety of characters. This isn't to say I'm not enjoying the missions, cause there are a bunch of good ones. I just think that most characters are unrealistic and one-note.

2. The absolute tedium of the menus is driving me nuts. In and out of menus all the time for basic functions is driving me batty. If you are going to give me so many goddamn menus then at least give me the ability to do more with them. Want to see what a resource can be used for in crafting? That should be in it's info, or in a menu, or in a database. None of that exists in a future world where they have relatively high technology? Really???? Totally braindead way of doing things. When I explore a planet it should be added to some kind of database that I can search through, and as I discover different resources, temples, and points of interest then those should be searchable as well. Picked up a gun and now have new perks on it? Both the gun and it's perks should be added to my encyclopedia of knowledge. There should be a menu for my outposts as well, so I can see how they are doing, if they've been attacked, what resources I have, etc...... This is basic shit to me, and it drives me nuts it does not exist in this game.

3. Ordering things. I should be able to pay for delivery of everything I buy. I should be able to have cargo delivered from the stores to my ship or the lodge or my houses for a fee. Heck, I should be able to pay others to ship resources to my outposts. Maybe one of the delivery guys is bold and decides to steal all the shit I just bought. Boom, there's a mission to go track his ass down and get my materials back. Having to run to a vendor, make a deal, buy a bunch of resources, and schlep it all back to wherever I'm going is ridiculous in an age where other people are paying me to ship goods to their planet.

4. Vehicles need to happen. They had horses in Skyrim, so I'm sure they can get vehicles working. Every ship should have a vehicle bay, and it should be upgrade-able. Not having vehicles but then having the lunar roving vehicle that was actually used when we landed on the moon in a museum is absolutely silly. Jetpacks are nice, and I love jetting around a planet, but that doesn't make up for not having vehicles. You could easily make it so that vehicles don't work well on certain planets or in certain levels of gravity. Can't cross water, but try anyway? Oops, you just sunk your rover. The possibilities for this are endless.

5. The economy sucks. This is typical in all Bethesda games, but I could forgive it in Fallout where the world is all upside down and backwards. It just feels like a missed opportunity here. If a planet is in a system that has a ton of Aluminum then it should be cheap, whereas if they don't have any naturally occuring then it should be more expensive. When I drop 5000 of some item I just crafted then it should affect the prices for that item. Again, make an "online" market for larger quantities of things. Hopetech is building ships and needs a bunch of a certain thing? You should be able build it in your outposts using manaufacturing and ship it to them automatically on a contract. Are you always late with your deliveries? They are going to pay you less. There is so much possibility here, and absolutely not one minute has been spent on this mechanic.

I know it sounds like I'm really ragging on the game, but I'm not. I'm still having a blast, and it's my favorite Bethesda game since Skyrim, I just feel it could have been so much better. No one has done a good space RPG with this much scope and player choice, so that is what it really has going for it, but if they added these things then I think it would have been a game for the ages. Probably looking at the current iteration of this game as an 8.5 out of 10, even though it is so addictive for me.
I agree, to everything.
There are an insane amount of missed opportunities.

A small one: I finished the Freestar faction and got the cool ship, there are cells in there for locking up criminals. Pretty cool, right?
But so far I’ve not once had to lock up a criminal, turns out you can’t even close a cell door once you’ve opened it through the computer.

Why leave it like that?? It’s like they planned to do something but ran out of time. Haven’t they had enough time? It was apparently finished to play through a year ago and nobody play testing it thought they should let you use the cells?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

All valid criticisms. But somehow the game won’t let me stop, lol.

Fess

All valid criticisms. But somehow the game won’t let me stop, lol.
I’m at that point too. All I’ve played since the early access release is Starfield and a couple hours of Cyberpunk when the 2.0 update arrived. I think for everyone who think this is crap and a 4, because of all the things it does wrong, there is another one who think it’s an 8 or 9 or even 10, because of the things it does right.

The complaints kinda reminds me of the talk around Death Stranding. Unfortunately I never gave that a shot myself (should try it before I lose access to PS+) but I saw the talks and it must’ve been one of the most divisive games released lately. Starfield is probably up there as well. Those who like it love it and those who dislike it hate it.

I plan to take a break to play Spider-Man 2, I need to have that eligible for my GOTY voting. Could never vote for Miles Morales since I played that late through PS+.

Edit: John Marston John Marston wow Gold thank you !! 🤩🖖

Last edited:

ebevan91

Time to hop back in. I quit playing when Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 released and I just finished Phantom Liberty. I have no idea what I was doing the last time I played Starfield lmao.

I just have the Crimson Fleet/UC quest line left and then I will move to grab the final artifact. Then I will get to exploration/planetary exploration for my NG+. I think I'm at like 130 hours or something like that.

@ LordBlodgett LordBlodgett some good ideas there about potential updates to the structure of the economy. That could be a great way to extend the end-game for people who like to experiment in that area, yet at the same time leaving it as something that you don't have to think about too deeply if it isn't your thing.

Last edited:
Since thread is going in a bit of negative direction, I will add a couple of complaints of my own.

- Game can sometimes be difficult to have fun with.
- I don't know how to stop playing it if I am not having fun.

Ok, both of them expand on same point.

But I do experience some wild swings in how much I am enjoying it.

One day I am having an absolute blast. Found a quest that had me explore an underground lab where something went horribly wrong. Very cool. 10/10.

Next day, I decide to play more quests. Tried 3 of them, all turned out to be intergalactic fetch quests. Tough luck, so decided to do some planet scanning. Can't find last animal after 3 hrs. Argghh. Ok, no problem, let's explore some planets and see if we find any cool settlements. Nothing after an hour. Today's session turned out to be 6/10.

Next day can be anything from 6/10 to 10/10 experience. There is no guarantee.

-------

One thing I do like about it is how music and graphics/atmosphere come together to give you an experience. It stimulates me like no other game gawking at scenery. Bethesda were always good at this but I think Starfield is leaps and bounds above what they have made before.

Sure, listening to soundtrack on Spotify, Final Fantasy 16 is better. But the way soundtrack in this game compliments and enhances my experience, I think it's peerless.

This might be the reason why I can't stop playing it despite sporadic 6/10 sessions.

One thing I do like about it is how music and graphics/atmosphere come together to give you an experience. It stimulates me like no other game gawking at scenery. Bethesda were always good at this but I think Starfield is leaps and bounds above what they have made before.

The way they use the theatrical score in suspenseful moments is one of the best I've seen. Very Alfred Hitchcock.

Roufianos

Finally finished the main story and faction quests.

Maybe a 7.5 or 8 overall, the game is extremely archaic in many respects but also had a loop that kept me chipping away.

Finished with Ryujin which felt like going out on a whimper. Like I give a shit about which character gets what, they had all of 2 minutes of conversation time.

The biggest problem is that this game want to hand hold you so much through everything that it really hampers the sense of discovery.
For example, in one Mission, I had to acquire a piece of technology, so I have to to get into a secure location.
What does the game do? It shows the destination quest marker, and then list “optional, steal a uniform.” With a quest marker that leads you to a uniform. And another “optional, sneak through the vents” with a quest marker that lead right to a near by vent.
Can you imagine how much better it would be if those “optional”s didn’t exist, and you snuck around and found a uniform, put it on and finds out that you can now bluff people in conversation with that disguise.
The game holds your hand so much that any sense of dynamic game play that rewards the player for thinking outside the box is removed.
What’s annoying is that they came up with alternative solutions to the quest, but didn’t trust the player enough to let them discover them on their own. Instead they plaster a big sign “ we have multiple solutions to quests”, and in doing so remove the only sense of accomplishment that players derive from searching for an alternative solution.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Level 38 with about 75 hours in and my ship won't accelerate or boost.

I feel I'm nearing the end as my main quest directs me to "The Eye" and all my crew has left me.

I tried changing ships, doing other quests but anything requiring ship stuff besides direct fast travel is useless.

I can't reach The Eye because my ship won't accelerate and approach it after hailing it.

Bethesda has fucked me in the ass without a courtesy spit in the past with Fallout 3 and Skyrim and it happens again 😆

No bitterness just UNINSTALL.

Havoc2049

Level 38 with about 75 hours in and my ship won't accelerate or boost.

I feel I'm nearing the end as my main quest directs me to "The Eye" and all my crew has left me.

I tried changing ships, doing other quests but anything requiring ship stuff besides direct fast travel is useless.

I can't reach The Eye because my ship won't accelerate and approach it after hailing it.

Bethesda has fucked me in the ass without a courtesy spit in the past with Fallout 3 and Skyrim and it happens again 😆

No bitterness just UNINSTALL.
Weird on not being able to move your ship. Maybe some keyboard or controller settings got messed up. The part of the main quest you are on is about 50% of the way through the main quest line.

reinking

Gold Member
Launched NG+ number 2. I thought I had a bug where I could not save or access inventory. It turns out that it was not a bug but a feature of alternate mode NG+. Honestly, I have no desire (at least right now) to play a run through where I cannot save or open my inventory. They also did not warn me that the inventory was not accessible due to this mode so I had reloaded anyway. I have save scummed to see a couple of the alternate Lodge at the beginning. LOL.

Launched NG+ number 2. I thought I had a bug where I could not save or access inventory. It turns out that it was not a bug but a feature of alternate mode NG+. Honestly, I have no desire (at least right now) to play a run through where I cannot save or open my inventory. They also did not warn me that the inventory was not accessible due to this mode so I had reloaded anyway. I have save scummed to see a couple of the alternate Lodge at the beginning. LOL.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it funny that so many people think something as crucial as not being able to save your game is an intentional NG+ function.

This is a Bethesda game. If something seems wrong, it's probably a bug... and in this case, it is 100% a bug. I was lucky enough to get an alternate Lodge where I can save, but I lost interest in the game shortly after anyway because re-doing Temples is the worst kind of slog...

NG+ for this games seems more like novelty to me rather than must have experience.

I would rather land on all 1000 planets rather than replaying the story. Though admittedly I haven't seen what NG+ does in this game. But in principle I am against replaying a game of this size.

reinking

Gold Member
Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it funny that so many people think something as crucial as not being able to save your game is an intentional NG+ function.

This is a Bethesda game. If something seems wrong, it's probably a bug... and in this case, it is 100% a bug. I was lucky enough to get an alternate Lodge where I can save, but I lost interest in the game shortly after anyway because re-doing Temples is the worst kind of slog...
Good to know. I just did a search when I could not save and that was the answers I found. I should have known it was a bug. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

reinking

Gold Member
NG+ for this games seems more like novelty to me rather than must have experience.

I would rather land on all 1000 planets rather than replaying the story. Though admittedly I haven't seen what NG+ does in this game. But in principle I am against replaying a game of this size.
It really does not bring a lot and I really doubt I will ever go for the 10+. What I am currently doing... ..and getting burnt out... ..is using each NG+ to play a different faction quest line. There is no real benefit to doing this. It is just I play that version of the character making choices that line up with the faction I am playing. It seemed like a good idea in my head but I don't think it adds much. I could have just as easily started each play through over from the beginning.

Top Bottom