• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play Thursday, September 14 at 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Tune in tomorrow
2f4002a24a0245cccd643ad5346826dfde7aeddf.gif

splattered

And some people have seemed to be so excited to see Starfield reviews drop and crap on Forza previews because console wars yet don't appreciate that Microsoft is at least pumping out 1st party games and marketing them to fans throughout the year. *Shrug* sure Spiderman 2 is gonna be bonkers, I already have the physical launch edition preordered... but man Sony really needs to step up their showcase/hype game.

Why do it the same day as a Direct? 2nd time they've announced it's the same day as a Direct, after Nintendo announces theirs.
Don't really it matters that much? Sony is not in competition with Nintendo or vice versa. It doesn't change anything with the potential of their sales or hype. Besides more gaming goodness for everyone in a single day. What's not too love?

Nintendo doesn't get affected by the other big two publishers (MS/Sony) either.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Don't really it matters that much? Sony is not in competition with Nintendo or vice versa. It doesn't change anything with the potential of their sales or hype. Besides more gaming goodness for everyone in a single day. What's not too love?

Nintendo doesn't get affected by the other big two publishers (MS/Sony) either.
This is tiring. When Sony stopped going to E3 it was because they can do their own show and not share the coverage, according to many. Now they go on the same day twice and sharing coverage suddenly doesnt even matter and I imagined the whole thing. I give up.

Perrott

No new announcements, no first-party...

I guess that the only way to save such show would be to give release dates to Dragon's Dogma II, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Little Devil Inside and Silent Hill 2, with the megaton being something along the lines of a first in-game look to Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater.

ABnormal

I’ve never enjoyed one of Sony’s digital showcases.

Feels like they don’t have their finger on the pulse for the third parties they show, most of which always look like garbage with one or two bangers thrown in the mix.

Really strange.
That's jimbo and his staff management. A bunch of people who, contrary to the previous management, don't have an idea of what gamers really want. They just know about "financials".

Is Stellar Blade third party? Feels like we might get some info on that given the current confirmation of a physical release.

It's 3P-developed, but Sony is publishing it. So it's probably considered a 1P game all things considered, and therefore will likely not be at the SOP.

can someone bring back the hype train

Why? I don't think this deserves a hype train TBH. You gotta earn hype to get a train.

Last edited:
I highly doubt PS5 Pro even exists.

PS4 Pro was meant primarily to boost PSVR performance.
There is no need for a Pro-version this gen.
Oh it exists. And this gen could use it more desperately than last one. The PS5 and Series X are pretty weak machines.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Our hope for a PlayStation Showcase type event now falls on Geoff Keighlys VGAs.

It's possible Sony is looking at those viewership numbers and going "Let's just do a blowout here. Geoff's already got the viewership and we can't compete with that."

Good news: Arrowhead Studios (Helldivers 2) is a 3rd party partner so we should see that.

Sony are just coasting at this point.

The whole situation in the console market is a joke at the moment to be frank, getting to the point where I'm questioning whether or not the PS5 is even worth keeping. The pipeline looks sparse.

It really kinda feels like everyone is just comfortable enough with each other to the point where "competition" is simply showing up, and not much more. I really miss the genuine hunger Sony had during the PS1, PS2 and the PS3 eras. PS3 Sony was them at their best in terms of software variety, and really pushing things forward.

The hunger simply isn't there anymore, but it was bound to happen. That's why a new outsider putting serious effort in would be pretty exciting. They'd have something to prove to the industry, not just shareholders & investors. Meanwhile Microsoft is either floundering or struggling to get anything up to speed so it's not like they're providing much in strong competition, and Nintendo...is Nintendo.

Though at least kinda interestingly, if Switch 2 actually can hit anywhere near PS5-level performance via DLSS 3.2, and has base specs at least in line with Steam Deck, they could shake things up. Considering most 3P AAA games seem healthily scalable these days, and devs will still have to account for Series S in the meanwhile, Nintendo could by default snatch up a lot more Japanese & Western 3P AAA support and complicate things in that regard for Sony.

Maybe that'll make Sony hungry again. We'll see.

I'm a bit tired from shitting up Starfield threads so this is a good time for Sony to fuck up so I can swap sides again
so you are a double agent when it comes to shitting on mega corporations? I like that, at least you bring in some spice as opposed to one sided bullshitery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom