• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play Thursday, September 14 at 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT

So close and still so far. 2024 is the year, don't worry lol :messenger_squinting_tongue:

oof-old-man.gif

No first-party exclusives yet again?

disappointed come on GIF
Honestly, I think they are waiting to market their new stuff and tout it with the upcoming PS5 Pro. They probably want to wow everyone with the first party portfolio visuals and the best way to do it is with your shiny new machine that's on steroids.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Good news: Arrowhead Studios (Helldivers 2) is a 3rd party partner so we should see that.
Helldivers is a playstation owned trademark going by the game page on playstation's website. So its considered 1st party, I don't think it will be there.

But to be honest I'm ok with this being a 3rd party show. Besides Helldivers 2 im not interested in anything else from Sony's 1st party right now.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Microsoft is at least pumping out 1st party games and marketing them to fans throughout the year.

Microsoft has or will put out this year Minecraft Legends, Forza, the Goldeneye and Age of Empires Xbox ports (and Switch for Goldeneye, technically), plus Bethesda's Starfield and Redfall and HiFi Rush.

Sony has or will put out this year Horizon Call of the Mountain (and the PSVR2 peripheral), Firewall Ultra, MLB The Show, Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, plus the PC ports of TLoU1 and Returnal and Ratchet.

Everybody's busier than we think they are.

*Shrug* sure Spiderman 2 is gonna be bonkers, I already have the physical launch edition preordered... but man Sony really needs to step up their showcase/hype game.

I didn't love the last Showcase (who did?), but it was strewn with 1st Party games... just not the ones everybody was counting on. Marathon is theirs by Bungie, Concord by Firewalk, FairGame$ by Haven, Helldivers 2 by Arrowhead, Spider-Man 2 showed again, Project Q hardware was introduced. None of the teams whose name started with "Sony" showed, none of the big brand plays revealed themselves, not many titles produced within Sony's walls, but when you count up what they did reveal it makes a little more sense what their gameplan was (particularly if you look at this as an offshoot of its trade show responsibility to disclose titles for investor interests... sure, us gamers think this is all for us, but Sony's got other jobs to get done at the same time.)

You can only showcase what's ready to showcase. People were mad when they went a year without a 1st party show and then had an unsatisfying one this year, but aside from TLoU1 not getting its own featured show (we'll see if Spidey 2 gets its own dedicated stream, but time is running out,) they didn't have the games looking back. Every publisher has suffered this gen with COVID and the market downturn and the wild movie/TV/streaming sister industries shakeups and other major setbacks, and it's just not as plentiful as we all hope it would be. Microsoft went out and bought a second whole publisher and is trying to acquire a third just to have things to put out with its name on the box (...er, and of course other reasons,) but mostly as a combo that MS/Beth looks good, separately they are doing okay in 2023 but 2 or 3 releases apiece is light for their size.

Last edited:

NickFire

Maybe this 3rd party and indie show is a contractual obligation between Sony and MS for COD. Sony gets to keep selling COD. But as part of the deal they have to do a state of play to show off the indie games that will release for free on Gamepass.

reinking

Gold Member
And some people have seemed to be so excited to see Starfield reviews drop and crap on Forza previews because console wars yet don't appreciate that Microsoft is at least pumping out 1st party games and marketing them to fans throughout the year. *Shrug* sure Spiderman 2 is gonna be bonkers, I already have the physical launch edition preordered... but man Sony really needs to step up their showcase/hype game.
Jim thanks you for your concern.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Rise of the Ronin is a safe bet.

Team Ninja have a habit of putting out their next title just after their previous one's dlc cycle finishes. Wo Long should be done in December/January so I'd expect it Q1 2024 if the pattern holds.

Kokoloko85

Another stinker of show guarenteed.
I prefer when we had E3, we knew we had 1+ show a year where new games were announced

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Why would they show anything big Just before Spider-Man 2?
We'll have Spider-Man sop later in October

Because they use to announce plenty of games when they had a big game coming out. People always knew multiple games coming from 1st Party, it was never a thing where only 1 game was known about

near

Gold Member
Because they use to announce plenty of games when they had a big game coming out. People always knew multiple games coming from 1st Party, it was never a thing where only 1 game was known about

We're in the last quarter of the year. The rest of the announced slate is clearly for next year, their next blow out of games will be for 2024/25. They don't actually have that many AAA studios to compliment 4-5 year dev cycles.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Nintendo knew what they were doing. Event’s don’t get made up in a day.
Nintendo is definitely not trying to steal Sony's media time. And Sony's September events are on all kinds of different days and not always on the 14th. We literally just had a thread on the front page that treated the existence of the event as a rumor. The gaslighting around this super mild topic is unbelievable. I just thought you guys would want to talk about it.

GHG

Gold Member
It really kinda feels like everyone is just comfortable enough with each other to the point where "competition" is simply showing up, and not much more. I really miss the genuine hunger Sony had during the PS1, PS2 and the PS3 eras. PS3 Sony was them at their best in terms of software variety, and really pushing things forward.

The hunger simply isn't there anymore, but it was bound to happen. That's why a new outsider putting serious effort in would be pretty exciting. They'd have something to prove to the industry, not just shareholders & investors. Meanwhile Microsoft is either floundering or struggling to get anything up to speed so it's not like they're providing much in strong competition, and Nintendo...is Nintendo.

Though at least kinda interestingly, if Switch 2 actually can hit anywhere near PS5-level performance via DLSS 3.2, and has base specs at least in line with Steam Deck, they could shake things up. Considering most 3P AAA games seem healthily scalable these days, and devs will still have to account for Series S in the meanwhile, Nintendo could by default snatch up a lot more Japanese & Western 3P AAA support and complicate things in that regard for Sony.

Maybe that'll make Sony hungry again. We'll see.

The most exciting (for me) piece of hardware I've bought in the last 3/4 years has been the Steam Deck.

As someone who also has a 4090 and a PS5, that's fucked up. Standards are in the gutter, both the AAA and console segments of this industry are in a huge rut and it's of their own doing.

I'm also hoping for Nintendo to shake things up in a big way with the switch 2.

The only first party they might announce is Horizon on PC. lol

horizon-forbidden-west-aloy.gif

If the only 1P game announced at the SOP is a PC port, I think it'd finally be time for PS fans to ask if they're being treated as second-class citizens in their own ecosystem.

I mean combine that with the PS+ price increases, the May Showcase, the lack of new 1P reveals (for non-GaaS titles), continued lack of movement (seemingly) in noteworthy 3P gaming acquisitions (or partnerships that aren't SE, and those might be coming to an end sooner rather than later with the recent news), the glut of new peripherals being pushed out (even if I've warmed up to the idea of PS Portal).

It's not a great look.

The most exciting (for me) piece of hardware I've bought in the last 3/4 years has been the Steam Deck.

As someone who also has a 4090 and a PS5, that's fucked up. Standards are in the gutter, both the AAA and console segments of this industry are in a huge rut and it's of their own doing.

I'm also hoping for Nintendo to shake things up in a big way with the switch 2.

It just gets weird to realize that Sony are, seemingly, increasingly resting on their laurels. And the way some people want to combat this, is by posting fiscal results. I remember when Sony would spend big parts of their E3 conferences on sales and it became a meme. Since when did it become cool for fans to actually point to those in the face of criticisms about where the brand may be going creatively or in prioritizing its key segments (or lack of such)?

I do get a nice jolt about Switch 2, it could really ruffle some feathers but particularly among Sony's lock with a lot of Japanese & Western 3P AAA support. Not to say they'd get less games, but we could see more of them on Nintendo's system for a change and outselling PS versions especially in places like Japan. They don't even have to run at PS5-level; just good enough performance (with DLSS 3.2 and Steam Deck-level base specs Switch 2 should at least hit Series S levels) and they're in the clear.

That'll start changing the tone of discussion online and considering Nintendo's the only platform holder left with genuine exclusives, you'll see what that combination can truly do for sales of a hot platform. Stuff I wished Sony took lessons from, but they seem intent on following Microsoft's model, which is the weakest of the three. But at least MS have vested interests in PC (Windows, DX12U, Azure etc.), and don't rely on console sales or console software & services revenue for a big chunk of their corporate revenue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom