• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice.
I don't know if I even remember my decsions

You decided on chicken pizza and diet soda! After that you went for a walk on the park whilst eyeing the loving couples with envious disdain. You finally got home, fed the cat, masturbated furiously and fell asleep without brushing your teeth. This resulted terrible bad breath in the morning and you thought your cat had shat in your mouth. Does anything ring a bell yet?

Hofmann

The only criticism I can concur with [although admittedly I have only played the demo so the full game might make me change my mind] is the pixel perfection. However, whereas in a 2D Mario or a VVVVVV I would just get frustrated and irritated with myself for being rubbish, this game is so delightful that I really don't mind it.

Ok, I'm far from being platforming Shaolin Master, whatever, but I can't remember any pixel perfection part in it. For me it was more about characterization through mechanics and charming story than platforming action, and that's the main reason I like it so much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well if GMG comes back I'll nab RE5. I should probably play that before RE6 anyway.
If this isn't true, don't tell me.

Blizzard

Banned
I restarted Steam but it's still downloading a 2.7GB updated for Left 4 Dead 2 addon support. I don't have Left 4 Dead 2 installed, and nothing on my games or tools list appears to be updating. Is there any way to avoid this or cancel the download? I can't even see it in the download list, it only shows up on the taskbar.

Is it related to the Source SDKs, perhaps?

imBask

Banned
I restarted Steam but it's still downloading a 2.7GB updated for Left 4 Dead 2 addon support. I don't have Left 4 Dead 2 installed, and nothing on my games or tools list appears to be updating. Is there any way to avoid this or cancel the download? I can't even see it in the download list, it only shows up on the taskbar.

half life 3 confirmed

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Guys if the thread is going to be a chat room for how there will / won't be a summer sale or jokes about how the sale sucks (lol cuz the same is on right now get it???) I have to lock it or move it to OT Community and call it "A community thread for some people who use Steam". One-off posts aren't so bad but if it's a schtick, I really have to do something about it. That's why I updated the title a little while ago.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Do you have the SDK installed?

Ok, I'm far from being platforming Shaolin Master, whatever, but I can't remember any pixel perfection part in it. For me it was more about characterization through mechanics and charming story than platforming action, and that's the main reason I like it so much.

Well I mostly used that phrase because the GAFer I was replying to used it. I agree with you but was really just empathising with the other GAFer that I could understand what they meant i.e. the game requires a certain amount of precision. Does that make sense?

In any case, I adored the game from the demo and shall very much look forward to playing the full game so I am content.

Dawg

Guys if the thread is going to be a chat room for how there will / won't be a summer sale or jokes about how the sale sucks (lol cuz the same is on right now get it???) I have to lock it or move it to OT Community and call it "A community thread for some people who use Steam". One-off posts aren't so bad but if it's a schtick, I really have to do something about it. That's why I updated the title a little while ago.

y-you t-too.

Who said that Thomas Was Alone was an relaxing platformer? FU. That game had the most aggravating platforming since Little Big Planet. Hell, as far as I know they even shared the same physics. How about floaty controls and jumps that need pixel perfection? Hey, how about you need to micromanage not 1 of those rocks, but 7? Doesn't that sound great?

I did really like the aesthetics, the graphics, the music and especially the narrative but sheesh! That game made me go nuts.

wut?

No

Grief.exe

Updating the base game to Steam Pipe.

I warned em

Prey is on the 2K list, and was updated 2 months ago, does this herald its return to the store, if so, that's more exciting than the idea of a sale itself surely?

Doubtful, the Prey IP is now owned by Bethesda and they seem content to let it languish for a bit longer while they restart development on Prey 2.

The update 2 months ago was the update to the Steam Registry and not an update to the game.

My Source SDK Base 2007 had a 2.8 GB update that cut short. Dunno what was up with it.

It's the Halo thread all over again. See what you guys are doing? You're no better than Halo. Halo.

Blizzard

Banned
Do you have the SDK installed?
Yep, base 2006 and base 2007, but neither of them show up as updating. I apparently DID have Left 4 Dead 2 installed when the update started, but it was going so slow that I uninstalled it and restarted Steam. I'll just let it sit through the remaining 30 minutes or so and hopefully it will take care of itself.

Hofmann

Well I mostly used that phrase because the GAFer I was replying to used it. I agree with you but was really just empathising with the other GAFer that I could understand what they meant i.e. the game requires a certain amount of precision. Does that make sense?

In any case, I adored the game from the demo and shall very much look forward to playing the full game so I am content.

No problem. I just couldn't remember that part where precision is needed and I'm not too good at those kind of games. Now that I think of it, maybe I am, without realizing it before, lol.

And have fun on your playthrough, it's a great game.

Nabs

The Rise of the Triad Steam popup almost got me to pre-order it. It looks so sick.

I had no idea I would love Joe Danger as much as I do. I grabbed it because it looked like a solid port and launched at a great price. I just hit the credits in the first game (84%) and I can't wait to go and try to 100% this thing.

derExperte

No problem. I just couldn't remember that part where precision is needed and I'm not too good at those kind of games. Now that I think of it, maybe I am, without realizing it before, lol.

For someone who is average to good at these games Thomas should be a walk in the park. But I can imagine that for example the part where
you have to move two characters, one being the opposite-gravity dude, in sync while holding each other in the air
could be hard with a keyboard. There are also a few timing based sections, short and easy compared to other j'n'rs and thanks to generous checkpoints (interestingly those weren't there at first, the dev said he only implemented them when playtesters complained) no big deal under normal circumstances but you can die if you don't concentrate or have a bad day.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damnit i was hoping the summer sale would be this week. I have a 4 day weekend. Just think of all the money i could waste doing nothing!

And have fun on your playthrough, it's a great game.

Thanks, I would be shocked if I don't, if the demo is anything to go by.

For someone who is average to good at these games Thomas should be a walk in the park. But I can imagine that for example the part where
you have to move two characters, one being the opposite-gravity dude, in sync while holding each other in the air
could be hard with a keyboard. There are also a few timing based sections, short and easy compared to other j'n'rs and thanks to generous checkpoints (interestingly those weren't there at first, the dev said he only implemented them when playtesters complained) no big deal under normal circumstances but you can die if you don't concentrate or have a bad day.

Oh I don't mind dying :). I died a few times in the demo and consider that as par for the course with this type of game. I don't think I'd be quite so sanguine if the dev hadn't put in the checkpoints though! I know I'm not some sort of gaming prodigy so I don't beat myself up if I don't breeze through games. Frankly, as long as I enjoy the game I couldn't care less with how I stack up to others in the gaming skills stakes. There's always a bigger fish after all.

Nabs

header.jpg

Monaco now has a level editor with Steam Workshop support.

They put together a nice guide here.

Hofmann

As you wrote it's probably due to a control scheme. Played the game with dualshock and that's why I didn't experience any hardships.

So for anyone attempting to play it - use a gamepad.

Blizzard

Banned
My Half Life 2 game content conversion has been stuck at 0% for about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, Steam is locked down during the process.
My Left 4 Dead 2 addon support, with Left 4 Dead 2 not installed, doesn't seem to be doing content conversion. But, it's downloaded about 5-6GB so far, and still is only half done. I'm guessing it's a glitch because I tried to delete it in the middle.

Echoplx

It should work as long as you use the right storefront with the url change, I've never tried it myself though

?cc=au, ?cc=us, ?cc=uk etc.

How are you guys missing sales on trips, cant you buy games with the Steam app?

Most likely when people are on trips, they're not checking in on Steam or GMG or GAF or whatever every 5 minutes because they have other priorities that doesn't include being on the internet.

What sucks though is being away from your Steam client so you don't get to grab any of the free code giveaways in this thread :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
troll post or serious post? (i seriously can't tell sometimes) Looks like i'll be in Mexico for most of the sale.

Quite legit. It was a few years ago, but I couldn't buy games while on a laptop vacationing in Canada. (Through a web browser, it was a Linux netbook)

It should work as long as you use the right storefront with the url change, I've never tried it myself though

?cc=au, ?cc=us, ?cc=uk etc.
This did not work for me a few years back.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well thank you very much :).

Incidentally I meant to say about Thomas Was Alone how delightfully nostalgic it made me feel. The narration took me back to my childhood when I would always tune into Jackanory:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177448/

after school and watch/listen to a thesp/celeb read a story to all us little boys and girls :).

Also, I bet the dev is a fan of the Hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy as I got a definite Adams vibe from the writing and sense of humour.
You're welcome! Never watched that show, I don't think I'll enjoy it now, lol

You just reminded me that I need to keep reading those books. I loved the first one, but never finished the second (got The Ultimate Guide on my phone in eBook form, though I wish I had a good ol' paper edition).

And I went back to the original BioShock after several months, because I want to play through the whole series now that I've been gifted Infinite. The atmosphere and setting is as good as I remembered, and the gameplay is as bad too. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Hard, but saying that the enemies are bullet sponges (especially the Big Daddies) would be an understatement. That said, I'm going to keep playing until the end and I hope I can begin enjoying it soon. The first 10 minutes were incredible, why does the rest not hold up?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You decided on chicken pizza and diet soda! After that you went for a walk on the park whilst eyeing the loving couples with envious disdain. You finally got home, fed the cat, masturbated furiously and fell asleep without brushing your teeth. This resulted terrible bad breath in the morning and you thought your cat had shat in your mouth. Does anything ring a bell yet?
Are... are you spying me?

I don't have a cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom