• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

You just want free gifts (which people are going to give you regardless)

well now I aint giving you any and you're not invited to the party how bout that

now that I think about it I end up spending a lot of money on my birthday so idk if it would be such a good pair up

Tak3n

Banned
New GMG deals are up, prices in the queens finest

Defiance 9.99
Lords of Football 12.49
Romino £12.74
Eador £2.24
10 000 000 £1.99
Lego Complete Pack £19.97

The LEGO Complete Pack includes:
•LEGO Batman
•LEGO Batman 2
•LEGO Harry Potter 1-4
•LEGO Harry Potter 5-7
•LEGO Lord of the Rings

New GMG deals are up, prices in the queens finest

Defiance 9.99
Lords of Football 12.49
Romino £12.74
Eador £2.24
10 000 000 £1.99
Lego Complete Pack £19.97

The LEGO Complete Pack includes:
•LEGO Batman
•LEGO Batman 2
•LEGO Harry Potter 1-4
•LEGO Harry Potter 5-7
•LEGO Lord of the Rings

None of these tickle my fancy. Just as well, I'm still having trouble accessing GMG

So, is it just my imagination, or does Big Picture mode cause a slight performance hit? Because of the recent bugged version I played Skyrim with the regular overlay for a while, and the game was really smooth. Now that they fixed BP mode again, the game feels a lot more stuttery.

Divius

I play some HL2, get a card, put it on the market, sells within a minute and suddenly I have a couple of euro's in my steamwallet. I can get used to this.

The PC version is at this juncture still unannounced.

I've been wondering if they might pull a swerve and the delay is caused by them announcing KOF13 for PC/Steam...only as a F2P version.

There is a F2P knock off doing big business in China at the moment (King of Combat). Would make sense to try to get in on the action in the West. I think it could be really something if they did it right.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I almost stopped, as it took me over an hour to get it

I only went for it in the end as most peoples real negativity were because they paid the full peice etc etc, I am under no illusion the game is not great, but they have seemingly patched the AI (so one person said) and done 3GB worth of texture fixes
From what I've read, it's not a "Too bad it's good" kind of game. It's just bad.

Of course, not having played it I can't tell you if that's true. But I believe it is.

From what I've read, it's not a "Too bad it's good" kind of game. It's just bad.

Of course, not having played it I can't tell you if that's true. But I believe it is.

I learnt my lesson with purchasing RE6. I had read thousands of accounts of how bad it was, but figured that surely there had to be some good to be found in it and that everybody was exaggerating in some way.

Apparently not.

I doubly passed on the GMG deal for Aliens because of the season pass inclusion. I don't care if it was effectively $0 or even reduced the total price of the main game. There is no way any of that season shite is ever going near my steam profile.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I love Duke Nukum.
image.php

You don't say.

Tak3n

Banned
None of these tickle my fancy. Just as well, I'm still having trouble accessing GMG

I am going to say it, I am enjoying ALiens :) no human opponents yet though... once I turned off the "film grain" option it come to life....though for some reason I can not seem to turn vsync off, wont go past 62 FPS

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I learnt my lesson with purchasing RE6. I had read thousands of accounts of how bad it was, but figured that surely there had to be some good to be found in it and that everybody was exaggerating in some way.

Apparently not.

I doubly passed on the GMG deal for Aliens because of the season pass inclusion. I don't care if it was effectively $0 or even reduced the total price of the main game. There is no way any of that season shite is ever going near my steam profile.
Haha, that sucks. Sometimes people can and do exaggerate, sure, but if MANY people everywhere are critizicing a game, it's probably doing something wrong, right?

It comes to a point where it's not a matter of money anymore, but the game simply not being worthy of your time. That said, I fail to see why you wanted the base game of Aliens and not the Season Pass too. If you're gonna eat a shit meal, why not have a poo ice cream for dessert too?

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Fuck it, I couldn't resist Rise of the Triad on GMG for €9 even if it'll still be a while before it releases... Call it an early incentive for me to finish my thesis.

Tak3n

Banned
Haha, that sucks. Sometimes people can and do exaggerate, sure, but if MANY people everywhere are critizicing a game, it's probably doing something wrong, right?

It comes to a point where it's not a matter of money anymore, but the game simply not being worthy of your time. That said, I fail to see why you wanted the base game of Aliens and not the Season Pass too. If you're gonna eat a shit meal, why not have a poo ice cream for dessert too?

Reading on the steam forum, a few people have said the season pass has added some good MP levels....

You're welcome! Never watched that show, I don't think I'll enjoy it now, lol

Well it was awesome in the 70s but now it would be a bit surreal or, even worse, modernised [ugh].

You just reminded me that I need to keep reading those books. I loved the first one, but never finished the second (got The Ultimate Guide on my phone in eBook form, though I wish I had a good ol' paper edition)

The original radio series are the best iteration of them all as far as I'm concerned. However, I was fortunate enough to stumble across it on Radio 4 one Saturday lunchtime when it originally aired so I'm bound to be biased towards it. I would have thought that the books would be pretty easy to pick up; there must be loads of copies of them floating around given how popular they were for so long. Have you tried second hand bookshops, charity shops, online?

And I went back to the original BioShock after several months, because I want to play through the whole series now that I've been gifted Infinite. The atmosphere and setting is as good as I remembered, and the gameplay is as bad too. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Hard, but saying that the enemies are bullet sponges (especially the Big Daddies) would be an understatement. That said, I'm going to keep playing until the end and I hope I can begin enjoying it soon. The first 10 minutes were incredible, why does the rest not hold up?

I think you must be replying to someone else's post :/. Play it on an easier difficulty level? No shame in that. I know someone *cough* who often does that.

I am going to say it, I am enjoying ALiens :) no human opponents yet though... once I turned off the "film grain" option it come to life....though for some reason I can not seem to turn vsync off, wont go past 62 FPS
Haha. That's nice to hear. I might dip if it goes for a dirt cheap price in a Steam sale or something later on.

Tak3n

Banned
Haha. That's nice to hear. I might dip if it goes for a dirt cheap price in a Steam sale or something later on.

Keep an eye out as someone posted on another forum they had complained to GMG about not being able to buy the deals (Borderlands 2) and they replied to him saying to keep watching the deals!

so they may repeat

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
you will regret it, I find it to be just about one of the worst games I have played this year....

obviously tastes are very subjective though

I kinda dug it. Been meaning to put more time into it, but the few hours I played were okay. It would definitely work better as a f2p game, though.

Edit the config, remove vsync and fps smoothing or set the smoothing cap to 210 or smthng if you have a 120+ Hz monitor, set the file as read only and don't go into the options menu again.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The only cards I have right now are from Psychonauts, and I can't sell those. I want that badge!

Hopefully, they add cards to some games I own tonight, so I can complete my collection. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All of Double Fine's cards are among the cheapest available thanks to indie bundles. Just spent a few bucks maxing out the badge. ;)

Maxwood

B-b-but I don't want to buy digital cards!
Well, I try to resist.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
All of Double Fine's cards are among the cheapest available thanks to indie bundles. Just spent a few bucks maxing out the badge. ;)

I found Brutal Legend and the back half of Psychonauts disappointing so wouldn't that be going against the spirit of the badges?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Reading on the steam forum, a few people have said the season pass has added some good MP levels....
So it isn't a bazooka shot straight in the nuts anymore, now it's comparable to testicular torsion. Yeah, it's getting better one 3GB patch at a time :p

And paid DLC too, I almost forgot that.

Well it was awesome in the 70s but now it would be a bit surreal or, even worse, modernised [ugh].

The original radio series are the best iteration of them all as far as I'm concerned. However, I was fortunate enough to stumble across it on Radio 4 one Saturday lunchtime when it originally aired so I'm bound to be biased towards it. I would have thought that the books would be pretty easy to pick up; there must be loads of copies of them floating around given how popular they were for so long. Have you tried second hand bookshops, charity shops, online?

I think you must be replying to someone else's post :/. Play it on an easier difficulty level? No shame in that. I know someone *cough* who often does that.
I could get them delivered from Amazon, I doubt books will get retained in customs. $15.22 sounds like a fair price.

And no, I wasn't replying to anyone regarding BioShock, just wanted to let people know about it (why, I have no idea). Don't know, if I managed to beat Red Faction on Hard with those steroids-filled enemies (never saw a Martian guard move so fast in real life), I should be able to beat this one too. Totally different games, but you get the idea, right? Though if I get too frustrated, I may tone the difficulty down a little.

I found Brutal Legend and the back half of Psychonauts disappointing so wouldn't that be going against the spirit of the badges?
Yes. But not liking The Milkman Conspiracy, Black Velvetopia and Waterloo World goes against the spirit of gaming.

Chronoja

you will regret it, I find it to be just about one of the worst games I have played this year....

obviously tastes are very subjective though

I've been a big fan of Defiance since it came out. I won't stand up to defend it as a good game, but I won't say that it's a bad one either. It's just very mediocre and rather repetative. But, compared to its contemporaries where everything is a subscription based fantasy wow clone or a f2p mess of dead ended hooks created in order to suck money from your wallet Defiance has a nice little niche where the initial paywall means everything is accessible and only the cosmetic extraneous stuff is stuff in the real money store. It's different enough to be worth checking out imo.

If you are a fan of the show the game falls short spectacularly in delivering the trans media promise. Ok, we get neat little updates every so often, for example, the volge are attacking the world at the moment, but it's all so small scale and relatively disconnected from the show. Last week for example we had a mini event concerning Nolan being head hunted, which has little to do with anything going on in the show.

The game though is more of a supplimental. It succeeds in making the universe feel a bit bigger than the ~45 minutes of tv show each week. The areas of crossover are just enough to make it all connect, but if you expect more than that you'll be gravely disappointed.

Gameplay wise though, it's solid enough. It's never going to overtly frustrate you, it's the kind of game i load up for 30 - 60 minutes each night just to do a few pursuits (achievements / reputation quests) or arkfalls. I'd never play much longer than that now because it is a bit boring but for the full first playthrough of the main quest (took around 50 hours) it wasn't *that* bad at all. It's interesting enough, at least for me, to over come the relatively repetative shooting.

Zia

So, played about five hours of Borderlands 2 with the BF last night. Tooled around with it last year and it didn't grab me, and it might've been because we were drinking and I was also distracted with making matzah ball soup, but I really enjoyed it this time around, despite it looking as if it had at least two art leads and the fact that you don't feel as if you are doing anything when shooting at things until those things you are shooting at have died. I liked it enough that I took the time to input Shift codes, and bought some sweet pigtails for my Siren. Maybe the beer goggles will wear off, I'll groggily roll over and realize I've made a terrible mistake. But, for now, it was a fun co-op experience and I'm looking forward to playing more today.

Dawg

I can't tell you; it's a secret.

u bastard

Yes, it is awesome.

Nice, still a lot of players online then? My main reason for buying it will be to just experience the entire game to max lvl, something I do with most mmo's these days.

Also, it looks good but does it run good too? I have a GTX 670 FTW and i5 2500K but GW2 for example runs pretty shitty at times because it's CPU heavy and doesn't use the GPU that much,

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And the forum announcement about the game no longer being supported is gone, too, replaced with this message from Maxis itself:

7/1/13: Welcome to the Darkspore forums. Thanks for supporting the game. We recently resolved an issue that was causing some players to not be able to connect to the game. If you any encounter any other issues, please contact help.ea.com for customer support. We will continue to support Darkspore, so feel free to continue to discuss the game here. Thanks – Maxis.

I did tell people not to place any stock in a message by a volunteer mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom