• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Wish they'd combined Joe Danger into a "collection," but hey, that's a pretty good deal on both of those games (one of which is good, the other being very good). Do newly released games ever participate in the summer sale, or is it best to just grab the pair with the launch discount?

Only time I remember was Munches Odyssey back in the crimbo sale 2010. Killing Floor has gone on sale with new content during a few but technically this had already been released.

I don't get whats so great about FTL, play a little bit and then die, go the wrong sector and get attacked by pirates with a supernova in the background and die, run out of fuel then die. You can't play learn from your mistakes when you're getting killed just because you decided to play the game, another waste of 5 bucks.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do you guys think there is one of those "need physical goods" types out there printing up each card he or she has to place in a binder?

tjohn86

I really wish they would convert games you own all of the dlc for into the "GOTY" edition. My steamlist OCD is killing me on New Vegas and Arkham City.

Dr Dogg

Jesus, Company of Heroes 2 DLC takes up 3 'new release' pages. How does a $60 game have so much day 1 DLC

Or just buy the DCE seeing as it's all included with a whole lot more. CoH may well be one of my fav games ever but still £70 is a bit bloody steep. Don't know what included with my preorder to be honest.

nexen

Hows the performance in 3D?

core i5 2500k + single 670 @1080p:

Tomb Raider can get a bit framey in cutscene closeups for me but is almost always smooth in gameplay. Max Payne 3 is rock solid always.
Max settings on both, though I might have turned down the AA a bit on TR. I cant fully remember.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
k36bqgb.png

Edit: CE Upgrade apparently

ev0

Jesus, Company of Heroes 2 DLC takes up 3 'new release' pages. How does a $60 game have so much day 1 DLC

Haha. A company I worked for once specifically created a ton of DLC for its game specifically to get all the "new release" spots in the front page.

They were inspired by Magic TG

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Haha. A company I worked for once specifically created a ton of DLC for its game specifically to get all the "new release" spots in the front page.

They were inspired by Magic TG

Was it an RPG?

Grief.exe

I don't get whats so great about FTL, play a little bit and then die, go the wrong sector and get attacked by pirates with a supernova in the background and die, run out of fuel then die. You can't play learn from your mistakes when you're getting killed just because you decided to play the game, another waste of 5 bucks.

Usually takes people about 3 or 4 deaths to figure it out and then progress farther. You are always a special case though.

The one thing I figured out that really helped me is go to as many dots in a solar system as you can before being forced to move on.
This allows you to collect the maximum amount of money, parts, weapons, and units you can before the final mission.

Fenror

Neo Member
Maybe it's not for everybody, but if you keep playing and practicing you will get good enough to reach the end boss pretty much every run.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Usually takes people about 3 or 4 deaths to figure it out and then progress farther. You are always a special case though.

The one thing I figured out that really helped me is go to as many dots in a solar system as you can before being forced to move on.
This allows you to collect the maximum amount of money, parts, weapons, and units you can before the final mission.
Yeah, you really need to suck as many scrap out of the galaxy as you can. It's worth the risk.
And buy some blast doors!

KingKong

Wait people are actually excited about Joe Danger? I played it on the iPhone and it was alright but it doesnt even compare to Trials

ShaneB

Sell me on Joe Danger, I love Trials, but skipped the pc port just because of how terrible it all sounded. I just watched the trailer and it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

cicero

gah. You do learn from your mistakes though. I kept getting wasted by encounters with enemies during explosive novas, or getting boarded after having my ship set on fire and having my oxygen smashed, or losing crewmates to my own stupidity after taking long periods of time to level them up in multiple skills, or dying after failing to realize certain strategies worked better for certain ships, etc etc. Everything is about dying or surviving just another jump more. All you do is learn through trial and error. Then you finally beat the game and there is no giant fanfare, just a score screen and the immense feeling of accomplishment for having finally done what felt like the impossible. I literally had both of my fists in the air and was shaking them at the Space Gods as I loudly yelled out lusty Space exultations at surviving and finally beating that Space Bastard of a rebel ship. Oh, it felt so good. It is my GOTY for last year AND this year.

Try to give it another chance!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Sell me on Joe Danger, I love Trials, but skipped the pc port just because of how terrible it all sounded. I just watched the trailer and it looks like it would be a lot of fun.
It's not like Trials, it's much more arcadey. Feels kind of like a platformer in some ways

DirtRiver

Wait a minute, before I do something crazy on this Summer Sale, you're telling me the Trials PC port is garbage? How could this be... how could they ruin... how could they ruin such a beautiful game...

What exactly was your expectations for a 'roguelike strategy game in space'?

This allows you to collect the maximum amount of money, parts, weapons, and units you can before the final mission where you'll still die.

ftfy

Nabs

Wait a minute, before I do something crazy on this Summer Sale, you're telling me the Trials PC port is garbage? How could this be... how could they ruin... how could they ruin such a beautiful game...

Try the demo before you pick it up. I heard they patched it up since release.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Coincidentally, I downloaded the Trials demo last night and it ran flawlessly. There's no reason to think the full game would run badly since the demo ran well, is there?

Also, I just watched the WTF Is Joe Danger and don't really see the appeal. It kind of looks like any old flash game. Am I missing something?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
One of my friends told me yesterday that the Steam summer sale will be this week, did I miss this announcement here on GAF? Is it true, or is my buddy just messin with me?

atomsk

Party Pooper

Ubisoft Shanghai handled the port, not RedLynx

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Some people claim they can at least reach the boss like 95% of the time, so there are real strategies, most of which you have to read about from more obsessive people and even then it's really hard because people end up doing little things in a special way and don't notice.

So two questions remain: How in the hell anyone reaches that point while having fun, and then once they have learned it, how they can find such an absurdly narrow gameplay experience fun. I put in 12 hours or so and never figured that out. You are basically traveling along the course you must to maximize resources, and then taking on the exact strategy you must, dictated by what you end up finding. I don't find that to be real strategy or a real accomplishment.

I don't get it, but don't get into arguments about it because people who love it have a religious zeal about the game.

Vecks

One of my friends told me yesterday that the Steam summer sale will be this week, did I miss this announcement here on GAF? Is it true, or is my buddy just messin with me?

I think everyone is just speculating based on Steam release dates of games (steam doesn't typically release games during summer sale), so it's possible for the end of this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom