• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I don't get whats so great about FTL, play a little bit and then die, go the wrong sector and get attacked by pirates with a supernova in the background and die, run out of fuel then die. You can't play learn from your mistakes when you're getting killed just because you decided to play the game, another waste of 5 bucks.

There's no KH or Final Fantasy :( I'd sacrifice all the indie games on steam to get the new KH on PC.

q6Yx7nq.png

HoosTrax

-67% sale on Defender's Quest for adding workshop support (it also has cards)

I somehow ended up spending 50 hours on that game. TD games tend to be a bit hit-or-miss with me, but the Fire Emblem-ish RPG elements kind of sucked me in. I absolutely hate the artstyle though...hope they hire a real artist if they do a sequel.

Nabs

Weeklong sales take time to show up.

So far we have:

Turba
4 Elements
Defenders Quest
Worms Reloaded & DLC
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

Dr Dogg

xelios;65969261[URL="http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=legacy+of+kain" said:
75% off Legacy of Kain series[/URL].

GMG20-6WUSQ-LBC4U for an additional 20% off.

Oh flipping hell Xel. That's the cheapest these have been with an extra 20% off I think. Are the GOG versions worth the extra?

Loves me some free swag though after all the Mama Robotnik threads I doubt there's anything left uncovered about the series now.

Refyref

The whole FEAR franchise is on sale, not just 3.

If someone is thinking about buying this, I'd like to let them know that being crushed to death by a train is quicker and less painful.

Oh, and cheaper too.

What? So World Party never really existed? Weird...

A lot of people tend to forget any game other than Armageddon exist. :p

Nabs

Does Armageddon have proper steamworks multiplayer and fancy hd graphics?

I loved the hell out of that one back in the day but it's place in the sun is done.

Armageddon still has an online community, and an easy to navigate lobby system. It also has a real Ninja Rope.

cicero

Some people claim they can at least reach the boss like 95% of the time, so there are real strategies, most of which you have to read about from more obsessive people and even then it's really hard because people end up doing little things in a special way and don't notice.

So two questions remain: How in the hell anyone reaches that point while having fun, and then once they have learned it, how they can find such an absurdly narrow gameplay experience fun. I put in 12 hours or so and never figured that out. You are basically traveling along the course you must to maximize resources, and then taking on the exact strategy you must, dictated by what you end up finding. I don't find that to be real strategy or a real accomplishment.

I don't get it, but don't get into arguments about it because people who love it have a religious zeal about the game.
Oh, argument time is ON.

Question 1: The fun you take from your experience is going to happen when you have patience instead of demanding the modern gimped take on challenging effort in gaming. There are no QTEs, this is a roguelike in space. Maybe people today have no concept of what a roguelike is. Death is going to happen. Many many times. That is the point and what makes the game so fun when you finally get deeper into the game. You could do everything right with the perfect strategies and still hit a random event where you get boarded during a fight at a Sun going supernova after having a missile get through your defenses and taking out your shields. Fun through hard random challenges that are eventually beaten through your own time and effort to explore the game and its mechanics.

Question 2: I guess that was already pretty much answered in my previous response. The fun continues to exist in that "absurdly narrow gameplay experience" because the challenge and randomness continues to exist. Go from easy mode to normal mode.

Dr Dogg

If someone is thinking about buying this, I'd like to let them know that being crushed to death by a train is quicker and less painful.

Oh, and cheaper too.

3 isn't that bad, close but still. It doesn't help that the original is still, although a little dated looking, one of the best playing fps' from an ai and tactical standpoint. So many great firefights there's an option to replay them.

Just stay away from Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. Even Monolith retconned them when they returned to the series.

cicero

One of my friends told me yesterday that the Steam summer sale will be this week, did I miss this announcement here on GAF? Is it true, or is my buddy just messin with me?
Hmm. I think Stallion Free has more info on the upcoming Stearn sale. Perhaps you should private message him with questions. Multiple questions.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

Buy Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
WEEK LONG DEAL! Offer ends July 1st

Ooh. Time to watch the card values drop like a rock.

What's the performance on the Joe Danger games for PC? Has anyone took that dive, yet?

Want to pull the trigger on the bundle but don't want a crappy port

ShaneB

It's not like Trials, it's much more arcadey. Feels kind of like a platformer in some ways

Ah ok, still some time to decide on the bundle, but I might check it out.

My issue with Trails is more to do with a lack of Steam leaderboards and whatnot, and having to deal with Uplay, unless that all got patched as well.

Tenrius

Oh, and cheaper too.

Were does all this negativity come from? I played through it just last week, the gunplay was not as good as the first game, but still pretty solid. Of course, the story is absolutely lame and plain incomprehensible, but that can be said about the entire series. I actually started feeling bad for the voice actors at some point, for putting so much work into voicing such a horrible script. But if you're looking for some first person shooting with cool slo-mo — that's quite a nice game. Took me like 8 hours on the hardest available difficulty.

cicero

Some people claim they can at least reach the boss like 95% of the time, so there are real strategies, most of which you have to read about from more obsessive people and even then it's really hard because people end up doing little things in a special way and don't notice.

http://videogamewriters.com/sunday-sidebar-meet-justin-ma-of-subset-games-58048
Interviewer: What’s your personal success rate when playing FTL? Are you able to reliably complete the game? I must confess that I still haven’t succeeded.

Justin Ma, co-creator: To be perfectly honest, it was maybe a few weeks before the release of the game that was the first time I was actually able to beat the game. We were designing it for people who would be really good at it, which is a weird thing to shoot for. We wanted it to have around a 10% success rate even if you know what you’re doing. That was the goal in terms of difficulty.

Now, I can win maybe every third or fourth attempt. Knowing which battles to fight and which choices to pick in the events plays a significant role. We were watching a number of live streams during the beta period. This one guy, I sat there and I watched him win the game on Normal difficulty three times in a row, and I was just like ‘What the hell?! Am I supposed to make the game harder?!’

We definitely wanted the atmosphere of the game to be that you feel like it’s a suicide mission, but that you just might win. It’s the sort of state of mind that doesn’t appeal to everybody, but if you can see that as a challenge, a high goal that you might not achieve, then it can be appealing.

I definitely think it’s a personal thing. Some people see FTL, and they dismiss it straight off ‘No, this is too random for me’. It’s a temperament problem. If you feel like you can eke out and survive, to crawl forward and potentially still lose, but still find that enjoyable, then FTL is for you. Whereas some people will take damage and then want to immediately restart, and that’s not how it should be played.

A lot of people have complained that the game is too random, and that you need luck to win the game. I’ve always taken a bit of an issue with that. I’ve seen people get the best drops ever, and you still get destroyed by this series of unfortunate events. Other times, I can get next to nothing, but still prevail. It is a very random-based game, but I don’t think victory should necessarily be the sole aim.

There is actually a really high skill cap. People say boarders are impossible, but you can defeat any number of boarders if your med bay doesn’t get broken. Watching that guy who won three times in a row taught me a whole new range of strategies. One of the biggest things I noticed was that if he got into a tight spot, he got the hell out of there. He chose not to get involved sometimes.

I think I'm going to dive in on that Joe Danger bundle. I've never played either game, but all of the trailers/gameplay videos for both games make them seem like they're right up my alley. Any PC impressions yet?

cicero

-67% sale on Defender's Quest for adding workshop support (it also has cards)

I somehow ended up spending 50 hours on that game. TD games tend to be a bit hit-or-miss with me, but the Fire Emblem-ish RPG elements kind of sucked me in. I absolutely hate the artstyle though...hope they hire a real artist if they do a sequel.
The art style really got on my nerves after a while, especially the character faces, they all seem like they are from the same template or something.

Oh flipping hell Xel. That's the cheapest these have been with an extra 20% off I think. Are the GOG versions worth the extra?

Loves me some free swag though after all the Mama Robotnik threads I doubt there's anything left uncovered about the series now.
If you had the 20% off GamersGate discount it was cheaper in a bundle there. "Historical Low: $4.50 at GamersGate on Apr 29, 2013"

Dr Dogg

If you had the 20% off GamersGate discount it was cheaper in a bundle there. "Historical Low: $4.50 at GamersGate on Apr 29, 2013"

Ah yeah that was right but by the time I stopped dilly dallying they had run out of keys. After the Bethesda debacle I decided to give it a pass.

Oh well not like I've got enough to plough through anyhow.

Grief.exe

This seems to be the canned PR response Microsoft has had

04I8MSt.png

"We currently do not have plans" is an interesting choice of words to say the least. Could mean that they have plans tomorrow.

It does give me hope that they keep using those specific words.

Which FEAR is worth getting? Never played the series before.

The first game and its sequel. The original is a pretty excellent shooter, even now. The sequel is a rather generic shooter, but still a decent game. The third is like a game out of another series that adds a cover system, co-op and an XP system - all of which detract from the style of atmosphere the series attempted to produce.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh, argument time is ON.
I think you missed the part where I said don't argue about it, which is something I do.

However, you were tricky here and assumed a context (incidentally, upon me) to justify this game, so I will address it. I likewise hate prefab non-challenges of modern games. I am fine with ultimate death. When videogames started, everything was a roguelike. The difference is that better games incorporate at least one of two major elements, either what I call dynamic reactive challenge, or offer a far greater range of viable strategic options that will reliably lead you to greater success (that being, in an ultimate fate game, the high score).

This game lacks both. The overall pathway and strategy is decided for you, whether you realize it or not. If not, you will die. Likewise, the way you react to those "random events" is reactive, yet not dynamic. If you do not know and do precisely what you need to do, you will die. This is like the difference between a boss with a movement pattern and a boss with quality AI. The latter keeps you on your toes, creative, surviving on skill and adaptive intuition that can work in different ways.

It is possible to have this design in turn-based strategy, although obviously you will see such dynamism far more often in RTS games. Similarly, the difference between a good and bad fighting game is made in the extent to which the gameplay system and movesets are conducive of this dynamic, creative, reactive freedom of options. I would also say the best platform and adventure games are those that encourage and reward freedom and personal expression in how one interacts with and searches out the environments.

So the dynamic reactive challenge is what makes an experience feel alive and like success is from your skill, and then a range of viable options you can successfully take gives that skill a context to make the entire thing feel both adventurous and personally expressive. I believe the combination of these two is the foundation of good gameplay in the tastes of many people, and both are to some extent automatically created in a multiplayer setting, which is one reason why many people like playing against others so much.

Because FTL so sorely lacks both, if the illusion is not effective on you, then it really comes off more as a puzzle game. The difference is that in a puzzle game once your mind has figured out the answers you solve it right there and move on. In FTL you have to continue on slogging through the same stale patterns of encounters and salvage. And that is after you are robbed of the joy of actual puzzle solving, since there are so many hidden details that pop up that the keys to success are far more effectively found by trial and error rather than cognitive effort.

If you enjoy it, good for you. Also, if you find an experience of this nature fun, you should probably be a lab scientist. I have no intention with arguing with you about hypothetical objective merits of this game. I am only explaining my perspective on its gameplay design since you seemed to have no clue what I meant by my prior statements.

I am not the one who made claims about such a high success rate. I just remember some posters here being very ardent in their positions that if you died, it was only because you did something wrong, and they apparently had a high enough success rate to back up that claim. Still, to me, if there is such a randomness that can utterly overwhelm all options in your command and eliminate any possibility of winning on a run, then the narrowness of gameplay has been reduced from "this single option will get you through" to "you just wasted your time on a randomly-decided-to-be-futile effort" and so success is reduced to "not-randomly-cockblocked" and that is un-fun.

Rayman Origins is really one of the best platformers I've ever played. The art style is gorgeous, the game is really fun and coop is hilarious. It's really weird because I found the game to be stunning even if it's not that much of a prowess technically, I guess I prefer a good art style over some new shiny effects.

I really hope they'll announce Rayman Legends on PC, I've watched some Wii U footage and it looked great.

Tak3n

Banned
CoH2 has already pushed the DLC stupidity to its knees, base game is £40 and DLCs are £43. Seriously, wtf?

Indeed, I pre ordered so I got some of the DLC included, however I think they are trying to say, we should of ordered the CE version...

To be fair though all of that you unlock by playing

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The whole FEAR franchise is on sale, not just 3.

A lot of people tend to forget any game other than Armageddon exist. :p
Armageddon was nice too, but my heart is with World Party.

Never played it much, to be honest, but it was great.

Never played Fear is it worth it for the trilogy bundle?
YES. F.E.A.R. 1 is one of the best FPS games ever made [citation not needed], its expansions are fun (even if non-canon, and they come with the first game), and the sequel is excellent too. The sequel's DLC is a short yet interesting experience. The third game... the best thing I can say about it is that it doesn't take too much space on the HDD. Oh, and that it didn't kill my dog, even though it tried to.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Were does all this negativity come from? I played through it just last week, the gunplay was not as good as the first game, but still pretty solid. Of course, the story is absolutely lame and plain incomprehensible, but that can be said about the entire series. I actually started feeling bad for the voice actors at some point, for putting so much work into voicing such a horrible script. But if you're looking for some first person shooting with cool slo-mo — that's quite a nice game. Took me like 8 hours on the hardest available difficulty.
As a huge fan of the franchise, it was pure garbage when considering where it came from. Yeah, when I first finished it I thought it wasn't that bad, but then it dawned on me that it was, indeed. It's a disgrace to the previous games: cover-based gameplay, stupid (and I mean STUPID) and uninteligible plot (in the previous games, even if they were a little confusing, you always knew what was going on; here it seems like the game is advancing at random), annoying arena-like sections (level design is like this: go through a linear corridor, get trapped in a small area until you kill all the enemy waves that appear, advance to the next corridor, rinse, repeat; all the previous games, despite being linear and very corridor-based too, managed to avoid trapping you in arenas except in very specific parts, and even then I believe there's not a single one of those moments in the first game, and they are very few in the sequel), lots (and I mean LOTS) of annoying challenges pop-ups, which reset from level to level, so you're getting notifications all the time ("Got 45 headshots while masturbating in slow-mo"; "Collected a Barbie Alma doll"), total lack of the previous games' horror atmosphere (not only the scares are few and far between, but you can see them coming from miles away; it may be because they got old after 2 games, 2 expansions and 1 DLC, but they don't work at all, and only take place on dark and deserted sections where you're most expecting them -so no
ladder sequence nor school level
here).

It's not a bad game per se, since the shooting mechanics aren't actually bad (cover ability notwithstanding), and playing with Paxton Fettel turns the game into a different experience (even if it's still an unenjoyable one). Never tried the co-op, so if someone's willing to take that bullet with me, I'm up for it.

3 isn't that bad, close but still. It doesn't help that the original is still, although a little dated looking, one of the best playing fps' from an ai and tactical standpoint. So many great firefights there's an option to replay them.

Just stay away from Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. Even Monolith retconned them when they returned to the series.
Nah, the expansions are fine! I played through Extraction Point twice and liked it a lot, though I never finished my third playthrough. Perseus Mandate was fun too, even if it didn't add anything new to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom