• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Milamber

It will even be a longer wait because of timed console shenanigans :(

But hey, there are crazy interesting alternatives already available on steam.

Check these out. While not being identical, there's more than enough to sooth you intergalactic desires.

So there's this Early Access game called StarMade. From the description and the video, it kinda sounds like EVE: Online meets Minecraft and it looks really pretty. And apparently the demo is the "full game free to play to try out without restrictions."

I'm downloading the demo now; it's only 208.9 MB.
Oh wow, these games will seriously keep me busy until No Man's Sky. Thanks for the recommendations.

Sajjaja

Cause I can.

bunk-the-wire.gif

Annubis

I might be able to coordinate a DOA5 thing for people with Shadownet.

Basically me + 4 people

The 4 people send me 12$ to my Paypal.
I buy 3 paypal 20$ Steam code (What are those? anyone can link me up what those are?)

My Paypal is currently nearly empty, so at soonest I'd have the funds tonight after I inject some monies to it.

If you trust me and Shadownet enough, please state your interest. I will update this post with the slots

#1 Annubis
#2 Finishoff
#3 ?
#4 ?
#5 ?

EDIT: Shadownet's contact is currently restricted from buying. We'd need to wait until that lifts.

Unwieldy HSFs are the bane of my existence. I'll definitely be going the water cooling route when I upgrade again next year (I'm toying with the idea of doing so in time for The Witcher 3, but with Broadwell-E due in Q3 I know I'll be better off sticking with my 2600K for a while longer).

my options are a bit more limited because i went with a small form factor for my PC but i wouldn't change that for the world. Also, im terrified of water cooling because i dont trust myself to install it well enough for it to not ruin my equipment. I always feel lucky when my pc's work after i assemble them hah

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
my options are a bit more limited because i went with a small form factor for my PC but i wouldn't change that for the world. Also, im terrified of water cooling because i dont trust myself to install it well enough for it to not ruin my equipment. I always feel lucky when my pc's work after i assemble them hah

I have such bum luck with hard drives that I should probably have the same level of hesitance, haha. Knowing my luck, the pipes would eventually burst and ruin everything.

Lomax

Didn't all the DF-9 keys have Hack n Slash added to them? Anyone know if they still do? Because I'd probably drop the $10 if it comes with that as well.

I still always feel fear every time I install a CPU + cooling component. It's like my greatest weakness and the one part of building rigs I always dread.

Don't worry... if you bend the pins in your motherboard's CPU socket, you can always bend them back... I mean, if I can do it, you can do it too, right?

It's actually extremely difficult to damage PC components with today's tech.

You'd be surprised...

Lol, new promo from Indiegala:

Spend more than 20 eur or 25$ in a single order and you can grab Lifeless Planet as bonus!
Choose between more than 150 games ( 50 on discount! ) to get your reward!

:D

Yes yes. Let me spend over $20 so I can get a game that was bundled and has mixed reviews! Thank you, based Indiegala.

Now if they'd only hurry the fuck up and put up their Kartopfelmensch keys, that'd be a real win.

i had a cpu cooler that was putting too much pressure on the motherboard, cost me 2 motherboards until i figured out it was the cooler that was being troublesome. out of frustration, i threw the fucking thing away and went stock. sure, im not overclocking my 4770k any time soon but my pc has run so smoothly since

Funny enough, it was installing my CPU heatsink (aftermarket) and being inexperienced that lead to the previously mentioned bent pins. The bent pins originally only affected the Channel A memory banks as far as I could tell, but now that I've repaired them, I'm up @ 16gb and everything is running smooth as butter.

JaseC

How did you get it for 15? Russian steam i guess?

Yeah, but it's ~$11.60 in Russia, so $15 is quite the mark-up. You'll have no trouble finding someone selling it for $12 (just look up several posts above, in fact).

Funny enough, it was installing my CPU heatsink (aftermarket) and being inexperienced that lead to the previously mentioned bent pins. The bent pins originally only affected the Channel A memory banks as far as I could tell, but now that I've repaired them, I'm up @ 16gb and everything is running smooth as butter.
For future reference if you need a hammer to install your CPU or heatsink you are doing it wrong.

Can someone explain to me the whole Double Fine Spacebase DF-9/Hack 'n' Slash fiasco?

I never paid much attention to Spacebase DF-9, as it didn't seem to be my kind of game... but I did buy Hack 'n' Slash at one point and was then gifted Spacebase-DF9 after whatever went down...
But I see a lot of hate for DF-9 now and I'm wondering what I missed?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can someone explain to me the whole Double Fine Spacebase DF-9/Hack 'n' Slash fiasco?

I never paid much attention to Spacebase DF-9, as it didn't seem to be my kind of game... but I did buy Hack 'n' Slash at one point and was then gifted Spacebase-DF9 after whatever went down...
As far as I know they promised a lot of stuff, they did only like 25% of the stuff and released the game screwing all the kickstarter backers who bought the game for the promised features.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Spacebase DF-9 started off with a very robust list of potential features that were promised, outlined in a very detailed roadmap. Most of it was with the caveat that they had the time and money to implement said features. The game didn't sell very well and, after a long stagnation, development suddenly came to a halt. Most players feel the game is just incomplete, ignoring the list of things that did or didn't get added in. As the project lead stated though, it was all about the investment and DF just wasn't making it. The players certainly lost on that one.

As compensation, DF-9 owners were given a free copy of Hack 'n Slash and vice versa. I believe that only applied to people who purchased it beforehand, and not after the offer.

As far as I know they promised a lot of stuff, they did only like 25% of the stuff and released the game screwing all the kickstarter backers who bought the game for the promised features.

There was no Kickstarter for DF-9, it was solely funded off of Early Access sales. The project was sailing on fumes from the get-go.

Dr Dogg

Hehehehehehehehehehe
Sorry I'm bored waiting for Windows to download the latest preview build and was faffing about with 2.35:1 resolutions again and lo and behold it's perfect in DA:I

Also regards to CPU heatsinks, if you're really panicky go grab a couple of bottles of TIM cleaner, surface purifier and some coffee filters so you can start from scratch. Or go grab a AIO watercooler and then have the fear you might be one of the unlucky ones where it leaks onto your GPU(s) and into your PSU. I can't stand the pump noise to be honest and heatsinks on their own are silent so just get decent fans.

Tellaerin

Hrrrmmm... no.
Again --Vanquish and/or Bayonetta, please.
You can get your niche Yakuza games in time, friend-o.

I still want Anarchy Reigns. : (

So there's this Early Access game called StarMade. From the description and the video, it kinda sounds like EVE: Online meets Minecraft and it looks really pretty. And apparently the demo is the "full game free to play to try out without restrictions."

I'm downloading the demo now; it's only 208.9 MB.

Thanks for the heads-up on this! If it's half as good as it sounds, it'll be amazing. Downloading the demo now.

Also regards to CPU heatsinks, if you're really panicky go grab a couple of bottles of TIM cleaner, surface purifier and some coffee filters so you can start from scratch.

^ ?

Nzyme32

Hehehehehehehehehehe

Sorry I'm bored waiting for Windows to download the latest preview build and was faffing about with 2.35:1 resolutions again and lo and behold it's perfect in DA:I

Also regards to CPU heatsinks, if you're really panicky go grab a couple of bottles of TIM cleaner, surface purifier and some coffee filters so you can start from scratch. Or go grab a AIO watercooler and then have the fear you might be one of the unlucky ones where it leaks onto your GPU(s) and into your PSU. I can't stand the pump noise to be honest and heatsinks on their own are silent so just get decent fans.

Is the Dwarf(?) on the right meant to look so wide, or is that a bit of a perspective thing or something that happens at wider aspect ratios? Looks awesome regardless

Dr Dogg

Is the Dwarf(?) on the right meant to look so wide, or is that a bit of a perspective thing or something that happens at wider aspect ratios? Looks awesome regardless

He's fat! It's the right aspect ratio as it matches up with the seconds earlier 16:9 shot. I'm still tempted to grab a 21:9 monitor at some point if not just for the extra workspace but the price of the 3440x1440 LG ones are a touch high and I'll probably hold out for DisplayPort 1.3 support as that resolution is right on the upper limits of bandwidth capabilities of DP 1.2.

JaseC

I like this one better. *thumb up*

Hey, so apparently you can get flagged by Valve if you gift too much?

Well, yes, because if you're "gifting too much" then you may very well be selling them for profit. We've seen region-specific sale helpers (i.e. people who help others buy games from certain regions during Steam's larger sale periods, such as the US and AU) inadvertently raise a red flag in the past.

Top Bottom