• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Camp 2011 - Immediate Regrets :(

The Steam summer sale is obviously a game in itself and as you can see by the 20k+ posts people get really hyped up and excited for it.

We have to remember, however, that some games you should just leave un-purchased regardless of the price

This thread is for games that you have at least tried once and immediately regretted your purchase.

What I bought:

• Magicka - $3.39
  • Hoard - $2.99
  • Frozen Synapse - $6.25 (2 pack)
  • The Last Remnant - $9.99
  • Terraria - $2.49
  • Dawn of War II Retribution - $7.49

What I regret:

The Last Remnant ($9.99 - 75% off) - I picked it up hoping that the horrendous screen tearing and frame rate was fixed from the 360 version. That is not the case. Without the option to set V-sync in the menu, and the horrible screen tearing still present (a huge pet-peeve of mine), this will probably never be played again by me unless I can find an easy fix for it (or I'm an idiot and didn't see it in the menu options)

Salsa

MikeE21286 said:
The Last Remnant ($9.99 - 75% off) - I picked it up hoping that the horrendous screen tearing and frame rate was fixed from the 360 version. That is not the case. Without the option to set V-sync in the menu, and the horrible screen tearing still present (a huge pet-peeve of mine), this will probably never be played again by me unless I can find an easy fix for it (or I'm an idiot and didn't see it in the menu options)

force it?

Try D3D Overdrive. It can force vsync and triple buffering in games and it works like a charm.

edit: and I regret buying torchlight. Not because it is bad, but because it is a good game but now that I have the taste again for diablo I know the only way to truly fill my diablo fix I am going to have to buy diablo 3, which is going to cost me a good chunk of money.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dr Eggman said:
Really? Frozen Synapse?

Thats what he bought, not what he regretted.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't want to say I completely regret it yet, but I'm not sure if I'm loving Stalker yet. I might need to watch some "you should be playing like this, dummy" videos. It just feels a little on the janky side so far and after something like Fallout 3, the PDA leaves a lot to be desired.

Narag

Grinchy said:
I don't want to say I completely regret it yet, but I'm not sure if I'm loving Stalker yet. I might need to watch some "you should be playing like this, dummy" videos. It just feels a little on the janky side so far and after something like Fallout 3, the PDA leaves a lot to be desired.

You snagged the complete mods, right?

comrade

MikeE21286 said:
The Steam summer sale is obviously a game in itself and as you can see by the 20k+ posts people get really hyped up and excited for it.

We have to remember, however, that some games you should just leave un-purchased regardless of the price

This thread is for games that you have at least tried once and immediately regretted your purchase.

What I bought:

• Magicka - $3.39
  • Hoard - $2.99
  • Frozen Synapse - $6.25 (2 pack)
  • The Last Remnant - $9.99
  • Terraria - $2.49
  • Dawn of War II Retribution - $7.49

What I regret:

The Last Remnant ($9.99 - 75% off) - I picked it up hoping that the horrendous screen tearing and frame rate was fixed from the 360 version. That is not the case. Without the option to set V-sync in the menu, and the horrible screen tearing still present (a huge pet-peeve of mine), this will probably never be played again by me unless I can find an easy fix fohttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413r it (or I'm an idiot and didn't see it in the menu options)
D3DOverrider. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413

I regret purchasing Last Remnant, & Risen. Everything else I got seems pretty good.

Salsa

Grinchy said:

easy to get lost, give it an hour or two and you'll fall in love

Waku

Garshasp: Was looking forward to this Indie GoW but the fucking thing won't even properly start. After i fixed the problem with Flash that was preventing it from even Starting up i am now stuck at the loading screen to the first level where it will just freeze and crash.

Fucking thing sucks.

Thanks for the D3DOverrider stuff. I was completely oblivious to this.

This is not an ATI only thing? (I have an Nvidia card)

I bought the Fallout collection (Fallout 1,2,tactics) and started playing the first one. After a really nice intro sequence, I'm finding the mechanics to be a bit frustrating, and the constant visual scattering due to incompatibilities with my modern OS to be intolerable.

I'll persist with it a bit longer, but its not making a good impression so far unfortunately.

JWong

Banned
I didn't buy anything, so nothing to regret about.

Almost got Terreria, but I held back since I'm playing EVE most of the time.

DbWJU.jpg

See, I tried it years before and immediately felt that it didn't like up to how people were hyping it, but hey, STEAM SALE = CHEAP so I thought I'd give it another try.

...damn it :(

Salsa

Mama Robotnik said:
I bought the Fallout collection (Fallout 1,2,tactics) and started playing the first one. After a really nice intro sequence, I'm finding the mechanics to be a bit frustrating, and the constant visual scattering due to incompatibilities with my modern OS to be intolerable.

I'll persist with it a bit longer, but its not making a good impression so far unfortunately.

2 aged a lot better

szaromir said:
No regrets.

Dow2 Retribution is $7.5 on the US Steam? Here it's €15 :(

It was a Day 1 sale at $15 and today it had a pricing glitch in the first half hour or so when it was posted again this afternoon.

Corto

Not to totally pervert the OP premise, but my only regret this sale was not buying SpaceChem. There's always Christmas Sale though.. haha

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MikeE21286 said:
This won't cause any problems if I mess around with it even though I have the Steam version?

no and d3doverrider isn't ATI exclusive thing.

knitoe

Gothic 4.

Can't Vsync with any program, AMD CCC, D3Doverrider, Radeon Pro and ATI Tool. The game runs my CF 6970 at ~100%, and after awhile, my cards gets super hot and noisy.

Karkador

Banned
Battlefield Bad Company 2: The last BF game I played is BF2(PC), and I see that Battlefield's online play is still as messed up as ever, with abrupt disconnects due to PunkBuster (UGH), or some other bug. I don't exactly regret it yet, but I bought the game for multiplayer and the constant drops made me go play TF2 instead.

G-Fex

Zombie James said:
DbWJU.jpg

See, I tried it years before and immediately felt that it didn't like up to how people were hyping it, but hey, STEAM SALE = CHEAP so I thought I'd give it another try.

...damn it :(

Stop right there criminal scum

subversus said:
no and d3doverrider isn't ATI exclusive thing.

awesome.

Don't know why I thought it might be ATI exclusive. Probably since I have only had Nvidia for the past couple generations and have never heard of it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up with

Darksiders
Half-Life 1 (finally)
Universe Sandbox
Frozen Synapse
Neverwinter Nights 2

Not really sure if I have any regrets yet. Maybe NWN2, I kind of caved on that randomly.

subversus

Karkador said:
Battlefield Bad Company 2: The last BF game I played is BF2(PC), and I see that Battlefield's online play is still as messed up as ever, with abrupt disconnects due to PunkBuster (UGH), or some other bug. I don't exactly regret it yet, but I bought the game for multiplayer and the constant drops made me go play TF2 instead.

update punkbuster manually. never let it update automatically.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nothing much, thankfully. In the past its always been because I would buy awesome indie packs for one or two games and end up with a bunch of stuff I didn't care about, but I managed to keep this sale under $100 and walk away with a lot of stuff I wanted.

Well...okay, technically I regret Bit.Trip.Runner because it suffers slowdown on my weakass machine that makes the gameplay impossible in later levels, but I've also got it on my Wii so its all good.

subversus

knitoe said:
Gothic 4.

Can't Vsync with any program, AMD CCC, D3Doverrider, Radeon Pro and ATI Tool. The game runs my CF 6970 at ~100%, and after awhile, my cards gets super hot and noisy.

crossfire and sli users are fucked as usual unfortunately.

Grinchy

Banned
Narag said:
You snagged the complete mods, right?
Definitely! In fact, I have never seen the game without it.

SalsaShark said:
easy to get lost, give it an hour or two and you'll fall in love
There is something that keeps drawing me back in, that's for sure.

The screentear in The Last Remnant was bugging me a lot but I've been forcing it and having a ton of fun with the game, I really didn't expect to like it so much.

My biggest disappointment so far is Stubbs. Can't even get it to run.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I didn't buy anything from the sale yet because my backlog is so huge and I feel like I have to force myself to play games anymore. I'm kinda proud of myself compared to how I went overboard last year.

Karkador said:
Google pbsetup. Sucks that you have to, but it should fix the drops. It's a great game once you get it working.

Shurs

Spending $223 dollars.

I doubt I'll end up putting more than a few hours into half of the 43 games I bought.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I regret buying Lead and Gold because I don't have any friends to play it with and most servers suck, and Toki Tori because it's boring as fuck.

Top Bottom