• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

kionedrik

I just finished Stories: The Path of Destinies and feel a strong urge to talk about it.

This game was criminally overlooked and is a strong contender for the best indie released last year.

Your character possesses a magical book that records your feats and adventures over the course of 4 chapters that will inevitably end with a final confrontation. At the beginning of each chapter you make a choice of which path to follow and that choice will forever change the story of your current adventure since it affects what choices will be available at the end of each chapter and who you'll confront in the final chapter. This means the game has multiple endings although there's only one "true" ending. After the final chapter you'll get a cutscene showing you how your choices changed the world and the overarching story and go back to the beginning with new knowledge about the world and characters, that will help you in subsequent adventures and open new paths.
There's around 15 locations to explore but they are different each time because of the prior choices you've made. This means that if you reach area C it will be different depending if you come from A or B, and there's also multiple ways of getting from the beginning to the end of each area.

The voice acting, music and overall sound design are great. The graphics are pretty, with fluid animations and vibrant colors.

It's just 3.74€. Just get it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm the most indecisive player around when it comes to these sales. Games I want vs games I kinda want vs games I should probably buy because the price is nice.

Wound up buying Prey and Playerunknown's Battlegrounds last night. Battlegrounds came from out of nowhere for me as I'd never really heard of these sprawling elimination games, and footage looked extremely fun. Played a few rounds and damn, I can see this being my "go to" game for online multiplayer.

For the remainder of the sale Dishonored 2 is a definite, and I'm very likely to buy Dead Cells based on what I've been hearing on GAF and watching online. I keep hearing how amazing Hollow Knight is.

UncleBiz

v4kZSsF.png

My cart right now.. anything I should avoid? On the fence about WD2, liked the first a lot and I've had an open world itch for a while

Oynox

v4kZSsF.png

My cart right now.. anything I should avoid? On the fence about WD2, liked the first a lot and I've had an open world itch for a while

I think I would avoid Moon Hunter unless you are in desperate need for a local coop game. It is way too short and repetitive. However visuals and sound are great and the gameplay is admittedly unique. So if you have the money over get it but it definitely is no need.

Infinite Warfare single player worth the $30 investment?

I heard it was a fun sci-fi campaign.
Late response, but I loved it. I'm a huge sucker for military sci-fi and it delivered with actually pretty good writing. The set pieces are just one after another, it ticks a lot of boxes for a sci-fi fan better than Halo ever did. The levels have a decent variety too.

It's pretty short though, despite the decently long final mission it's barely 7 or 8 hours, if that, if you do every side mission. So I would only recommend that price if you're really into what you see and figure you'll play the campaign a few times.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Anyone recommend Everspace? Gameplay looks amazing, but the roguelike aspect kinda scares me away. I need to feel like I'm progressing every time I play.

Infinite Warfare single player worth the $30 investment?

I heard it was a fun sci-fi campaign.
No it's not, it's one of the worst and dull sci-fi experiences i've ever played, and this comes from big fan off sci-fi genre. Level design and story are so generic that you wouldn't be able to remember any name of characters immediately after you'll see end titles. Not to mention horrible flight episodes with jets that has no inertia and overall bad shooting. DON'T buy it.

StereoVsn

No it's not, it's one of the worst and dull sci-fi experiences i've ever played, and this comes from big fan off sci-fi genre. Level design and story are so generic that you wouldn't be able to remember any name of characters immediately after you'll see end titles. Not to mention horrible flight episodes with jets that has no inertia and overall bad shooting. DON'T buy it.
I will go ahead and disagree. The review above yours is better. Yeah you can nitpick the whole thing apart but overall it was an enjoyable campaign with good visuals, interesting characters and cool way to do side missions. I thought it was a fun sci-fi campaign and it took me about 10 hours overall.

I got Legacy Edition for $40 and thought it was worth the price but I do like the OG Modern Warfare as well. $30 is not a bad price just for Infinite Warfare if one enjoys sci-fi action.

I guess one could find fault with the space combat, because it doesn't really play at all like a typical space combat game with inertia, it's more like an FPS where you have control over your Z axis. But I liked those segments, they were fresh and different and holy shit does stuff blow the fuck up.

I think the level design was stronger than the other COD games I've played (not many) where many of the larger arenas allowing for multiple paths forward, typically with multiple kids of weapons to be found and utilized, and a lot of verticality for the now-ubiquitous wall-running mechanic. Not a lot of wide open spaces, but dense hallways and balconies that snake in on each other.

I had no trouble remembering most of the characters and their motivations or personalities. I did wish that the game was longer so we could have gotten to know them better.

I will go ahead and disagree. The review above yours is better. Yeah you can nitpick the whole thing apart but overall it was an enjoyable campaign with good visuals, interesting characters and cool way to do side missions. I thought it was a fun sci-fi campaign and it took me about 10 hours overall.

I got Legacy Edition for $40 and thought it was worth the price but I do like the OG Modern Warfare as well. $30 is not a bad price just for Infinite Warfare if one enjoys sci-fi action.
The review above me is not "better", because it's only saying opposite things than my opinion, without any real details, so basically this is just other opinion. If he can go ahead and explain exactly why this boring piece of shit without any signs of creativity or unique ideas that was singleplayer in IW is "fun sci-fi campaign", then i'll agree. "Interesting characters"? You mean whole ship of generic dudes without any personality except robot? Or evil Jon Snow that didn't had any charisma to be relevant main evil guy? I'm big fan of Mass Effect, System Shock and other sci-fi games, and nothing in IW was fun for me. But again, that's my opinion and i want to warn dude that game could be not that fun as some people tend to say.

The review above me is not "better", because it's only saying opposite things than my opinion, without any real details, so basically this is just other opinion. If he can go ahead and explain exactly why this boring piece of shit without any signs of creativity or unique ideas that was singleplayer in IW is "fun sci-fi campaign", then i'll agree. "Interesting characters"? You mean whole ship of generic dudes without any personality except robot? Or evil Jon Snow that didn't had any charisma to be relevant main evil guy? I'm big fan of Mass Effect, System Shock and other sci-fi games, and nothing in IW was fun for me. But again, that's my opinion and i want to warn dude that game could be not that fun as some people tend to say.

I've given more details above, but I can continue to elaborate.

The game's not original, it's a straight up military sci-fi rip-off from any number of superior books (and some concepts from previous COD games that even I would recognize). But I find that to be its strength, in that the underlying material is strong and the writing is actually pretty good. There's a lack of bombastic military sci-fi in video games (Halo's story is usually OK but slower paced and more about MC's journey through alien worlds, Mass Effect is more of a 50's space opera like Foundation, whereas COD: IW is more in the lines of modern military sci-fi and it's incredibly fast paced to show you as much as it can) and IW has some awesome setpieces that I really enjoyed, including the space combat sequences.

The cast is probably about a dozen and of course it's difficult to set any of them apart in a military setting, but the script gives each of them a small chance to be establish some personality in either missions or when you're wandering around the ship's deck/hub. There's a credits sequence involving each character and I had no trouble remembering the character or what they did on the ship.

Again, my biggest complaint is that the game is just too short and could have used a better second act to match the first and third - preferably with more character interaction and nefarious scheming on part of the villains. The game almost feels like it starts inside of the second act in some ways, and the final mission seems to keep going and going. So the pacing isn't perfect, but it also didn't bother me that much. Just could have been a bit better.

I'd also say again that I haven't played a COD game since probably COD4 so the combat wasn't too played out for me. I thought it was fun and at times tricky, though I did think sometimes there was too much going on for some of my deaths to seem fair. But I found the level design more than competent, the set pieces to be enormously enjoyable, and the story to be exactly what I wanted out of a big military sci-fi mashup.

Hopefully that explanation was enough to assuage any fears that I might be misleading the public. ;)

RS4-

Quick question: I've got like 900 cards to sell, and steam guard is such a pain in the ass since I have to do each thing manually.

Can I remove steam guard, list everything, then re-add steam guard without any hold on the marketplace for x days on new listings/purchases?

I know it's like that if you add a new one, just not sure if it applies if you just reapply your current one.

Ludens

Banned
So, I finished Quantum Break (bought it during the sale), I really liked all Remedy games, Alan Wake is one of my favourite title but...I didn't like Quantum Break at all.

First, the game is bloody short, five acts only, you visit the same location several times and in general you play much less than watching the scene while a cutscenes or an episode of the tv show is playing.
The overall difficulty is easy and you won't ever face problems, but the big trouble here is I found the game bloody boring.

It's the same stuff you can find on a lot of movies/videogames/fictions, nothing new here.

Also the presence of the tv show (I know you can skip those, but I didn't) makes the game even heavier to play, because you touch the gamepad for like 5 minutes, watch the screen for 40 minutes (including in-game cutscene) and so until the very end of the game.

If you are interested in Quantum Break, just wait for a 75% off, really. Even if you are a fan of Remedy games, this one is not that great.

Shantom

Quick question: I've got like 900 cards to sell, and steam guard is such a pain in the ass since I have to do each thing manually.

Can I remove steam guard, list everything, then re-add steam guard without any hold on the marketplace for x days on new listings/purchases?

I know it's like that if you add a new one, just not sure if it applies if you just reapply your current one.

I think you get a 7 or 10 day lock doing that.

MadGear

I ended up spending my 25€+ in steam funds (thanks to the paypal voucher) after all and bought MGSV as well as W40k Space Marine. I know Space Marine will probably end up in a bundle again at some point but oh well, after catching up on the 8th edition stuff I feel like playing this sooner rather than later. I just hope I enjoy the game as much as I used to. As for MGSV ... I have no idea what I'm getting into here but I hope it's good.

TheGhostSix

Neo Member
Hey,

How is Steam's version of Quantum Break? I've got a pretty good PC but I've heard the game is badly optimized. Has that changed? Is it worth it at 50% off?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hey,

How is Steam's version of Quantum Break? I've got a pretty good PC but I've heard the game is badly optimized. Has that changed? Is it worth it at 50% off?

My GTX 970 wasn't enough to play it how I wanted to, I had to turn everything down or off and use upscalling to reach 60fps, the game looked quite ugly as a result and just never felt smooth in general, it's a very bad port.

Jimrpg

so do you just design them or is there a management aspect to the game as well?

There's three modes.

Career - which is a management mode where you get three objectives per park. It'll be things like get 1000 guests, build 4 rides etc. this is basically the scenario mode from RCT. You'll design and manage the park here.

Free mode - where you can do whatever you want.

Challenge mode - I haven't checked this mode out but I assume there's more difficult challenges in here like get $1m in 2 years or something like that.

Game also has steamworks so you can download other people's parks, buildings, rides.

Hey,

Its better than the dx12 version on Nvidia cards atleast, on my 980/5820k it played at mostly 60fps with upscaling on at 1080p so I'm ok with that tbh its a fun game and well worth playing imo

h#shdem0n

Is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel worth it if you just get the base game and no DLC? I like Borderlands, so that's not an issue. Just don't know if the DLC is essential.

Poster#1

So, I finished Quantum Break (bought it during the sale), I really liked all Remedy games, Alan Wake is one of my favourite title but...I didn't like Quantum Break at all.

First, the game is bloody short, five acts only, you visit the same location several times and in general you play much less than watching the scene while a cutscenes or an episode of the tv show is playing.
The overall difficulty is easy and you won't ever face problems, but the big trouble here is I found the game bloody boring.

It's the same stuff you can find on a lot of movies/videogames/fictions, nothing new here.

Also the presence of the tv show (I know you can skip those, but I didn't) makes the game even heavier to play, because you touch the gamepad for like 5 minutes, watch the screen for 40 minutes (including in-game cutscene) and so until the very end of the game.

If you are interested in Quantum Break, just wait for a 75% off, really. Even if you are a fan of Remedy games, this one is not that great.

It's a bad game.

TheGhostSix

Neo Member
My GTX 970 wasn't enough to play it how I wanted to, I had to turn everything down or off and use upscalling to reach 60fps, the game looked quite ugly as a result and just never felt smooth in general, it's a very bad port.

Yeah I think I'm good. Thanks guys. Money will go elsewhere.

Kudo

Yup, I've said it multiple times here but I paid like 5$ for it and felt robbed. (Bought from people that got the PC version with their Xbox One game)
Quantum Break is a really bad game, and captures none of the atmosphere other Remedy games have.

MartyStu

Late response, but I loved it. I'm a huge sucker for military sci-fi and it delivered with actually pretty good writing. The set pieces are just one after another, it ticks a lot of boxes for a sci-fi fan better than Halo ever did. The levels have a decent variety too.

It's pretty short though, despite the decently long final mission it's barely 7 or 8 hours, if that, if you do every side mission. So I would only recommend that price if you're really into what you see and figure you'll play the campaign a few times.

Oh, yikes.

Definitely not at $30 then.

I suppose I can wait the decade or so it will take before the price falls to 10 - 15.

Has anyone played Pit People yet?

I'm a big fan of the Behemoth but SRPGs aren't exactly my idea of a good time. Do they have a good enough spin on it to make it interesting for someone like me?

Also is Hyper Light Drifter worth it at 10? It seems like the hype for must-play indie game of this sale is going to Hollow Knight.

Dr.Acula

Banned
No but I heard from a friend that it's decent. His praise wasn't too glowing.

If you like Metroid/Igavanias, it's GotY material, easily. I would definitely get it. I haven't played HLD, it's on my wishlist, but from what I hear it's more along the Zelda-like route, so if you prefer those kinds of games, go ahead.

MartyStu

If you like Metroid/Igavanias, it's GotY material, easily. I would definitely get it. I haven't played HLD, it's on my wishlist, but from what I hear it's more along the Zelda-like route, so if you prefer those kinds of games, go ahead.

If it helps:

Hollow Knight is my GOTY for this year and Hyper Light Drifter was my GOTY the year it released.

Anteater

bayo is such a cool game, bayonetta herself is such a great and likeable character, everyone in it is

combat is really satisfying too, i really dislike the combat in nier autotata and metal gear rising but i just love it here, so fast and those special get naked moves feel so chunky, it's great

i was sort of hoping they'd fix the score-ruining quick time events but what can you do

also game looks as drab as i remembered, kind of wish there was an enb mod for it that adds some color

man the game loads quick on pc lol, I actually don't mind entering Rodin's store now

Azull

Hey,

It's awfull, my gtx 1080 & Intel 6700k weren'the able to run it how I wanted. The "game" is quite tbh. It's a lot of playing for a little bit then being pulled away for 40 minutes to watch a TV show.

Has anyone played Pit People yet?

I'm a big fan of the Behemoth but SRPGs aren't exactly my idea of a good time. Do they have a good enough spin on it to make it interesting for someone like me?

Also is Hyper Light Drifter worth it at 10? It seems like the hype for must-play indie game of this sale is going to Hollow Knight.
I love srpgs so I'm really biased, as do I love their style, but pit people is awesome.

Azull

Is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel worth it if you just get the base game and no DLC? I like Borderlands, so that's not an issue. Just don't know if the DLC is essential.

I'm actually curious about this as well, hopefully someone can chime in? I have a borderlands itch I need scratched.

aku:jiki

Jack is one of the best characters (because the script is of course self-aware about the fact that you're playing a clone of Jack and it's great) and Claptastic Voyage is the best expansion in the franchise, so yes, essential stuff.

I actually haven't played Claptastic Voyage yet despite buying it in the holiday sale (I really should stop buying DLC expansions I never play). The base game is fine. It's not as memorable as Borderlands 2, and I had issues with the checkpoints (not enough of them). But if you like that game you'll probably like this, especially if you haven't played B2 in a while (that way the gameplay will feel fresher). It is a full Borderlands game, if you're worried about content; took me about 28 hours to complete solo.

MartyStu

j97gkKu.png

My haul for this round.

I have a VERY strict $60 policy for steam sales so I left a lot of game I wanted to play on the table.

I really hope that these are good. Been waiting to play them all year.

Edit: I just realized I have like $25 more in my budget. I may pick up Mankind Divided along with its DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom