• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

The reviews I saw were pretty negative. Is that more of a love it or hate it thing?

100%

There's a class of gamer who will never understand the draw of Mundane Vehicle Sims like Euro Truck, Farming Sim and Train Simulator.

The whole genre struggles with low budgets based on niche attraction. And in truth that does evidence a lot of trash products.

But there are shining examples in the field. But you have to understand that they'll never have the production values of AAA games.

Euro Truck, Fariming Sim, etc stand out as worthy contenders, yet there are also other worthy contenders in the field.

Demolition Co. is a fine example of a B-tier title that stands tall in the genre.

Folks, new Doom or new Hitman? Leaning toward new Doom just on price, will probably bite on Hitman when it goes below $20 Canadian, but figured I'd get some feedback. What do you think, sirs?

Hitman. Doom is crazy overrated. If you played the demo, it's the same thing over and over and over Shoot until the enemy glows and then melee kill. That is the entire game. I can't believe how crazy people went over it when it came out.. It's mediocre at best, I'd say it's worth about 20 bucks. One of the only games in years that I completely regret finishing and not stopping and refunding.

gabbo

Is there a 'Best Of' $5 and under list floating around somewhere? Not sure if I want to, but I have some extra Steam spacebucks left.

Tenrius

The old gift system is so bad. I miss being able to store my gifts in the inventory and/or emailing them. The inventory thing felt so ahead of its time when it was introduced.

zkylon

zkylewd
You can do that yourself with ReShade quite easily.

how easy are we talking about here

Ah, that's unfortunately one of the areas that may disappoint you, at least for Sophie. Carpe Fulgur and the original developers really did a bang-up job on Recettear. If you own a PS3 or Vita I'd recommend one of the Arland trilogy instead, but I doubt those will come to PC anytime soon.
hmm yeah, that's kind of a bummer

i really wish they'd make a recettear sequel, that game is so great

what are those devs up to these days?

i really loved chantelise too

Tenrius

I actually had this on my wishlist, was hesitating because I heard the batmobile puzzles were annoying.

I actually really enjoyed them. For some reason I loved the batmobile and everything about that game in general. There are not even that many compulsory batmobile puzzles, too.

A lot of folks say the story DLC is better than the main campaign (and has story ties to Dishonored 2). But you can always buy it later.

Definitely pick up the main game. The Definitive Edition isn't worth it, you are paying for other non-story DLC content. If you like Dishonored, get the story DLC later - Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore WItches.

The DLC isn't essential for Dishonored, but there is a case it is essential for Dishonored 2 and the recently announced Dishonored 2 DLC. It really ties the games together.

I didn't know that, thanks.

yuraya

Arkham Knight is a good game @ that 5-6$ price range. It is of the worst gameplay and boss fights in the Arkham series but the presentation is 5 stars. Probably the best presentation out of any AAA game this gen and that is with Unreal Engine. Rocksteady are too damn good with that thing. Disappointing they still haven't announced what they are working on next. I really can't wait to see it.

Ryne

Finally finished, put a big dent in my steam wallet funds (used up about 230$):

The Technomancer
Moon Hunters
Spark the Electric Jester
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Stories of Bethem: Full Moon Edition
HuniePop
Trillion
Full Mojo Rampage
Alwa's Awakening
Rogue Wizards
Blackfaun
Asura
Disgaea PC
Disgaea 2 PC
Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics
Ara Fell
Shrouded in Sanity
Mantis Burn Racing
Portal Knights
Leap of Fate
Ray Gigant
Hollow Knight
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4
Flinthook
NBA Playgrounds
Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force + DLC

Arkham Knight is a good game @ that 5-6$ price range. It is of the worst gameplay and boss fights in the Arkham series but the presentation is 5 stars. Probably the best presentation out of any AAA game this gen and that is with Unreal Engine. Rocksteady are too damn good with that thing. Disappointing they still haven't announced what they are working on next. I really can't wait to see it.

Yeah, I had issues with almost every aspect of Arkham Knight minus the graphics. But hey, $5 is worth it for that alone, and it's still got the quality Arkham combat and puzzles.

Is there a 'Best Of' $5 and under list floating around somewhere? Not sure if I want to, but I have some extra Steam spacebucks left.

Here's a good reddit compilation of under $3.

LogicStep

cMwTOnW.jpg

What about Prey though?

Ventara

Most of those aren't lesser known/under-the-radar hidden gems, rather mostly well known indies and older games

Not that there's a metric we can use, but like half of that are indie games I've either never heard of or only seen brought up once or twice. And I was mostly referring to the nice compilation of recommendations there, as well known or not, some of these older games are easily overlooked by people for the newer stuff.

Megasoum

Banned
So I bought Hollow Knight early in the sale, played a bit and it didn'T really grab me so I ended up asking for a refund and bought Dead Cells (I know they are not that similar but I was hesitating between the two of them)...

I really really love Dead Cells but I've been watching a lot of Hollow Knight streams on twitch (I always have a random stream opened on my second monitor) and now I think I'll re-buy it...

TLDR... I think I have a problem lol

Atilac

I couldn't get my 360 pad to work with ff7 and ff8, amd I'm refudning them right now - I don't suppose ff9 uses a different controller config method does it?

bede-x

I've picked these up:

Redout 12.79€
Redout Neptune Pack 3.19€
Archibald's Adventure 1.79€
Wyv and Keep 1.49€
Tribute Magic Bundle 4.55€
Bot Vice 5.99€

And am gonna go buy Hollow Knight on GoG. Thanks a lot to the people recommending games in here and the hidden gems thread. There's so many games I'd miss if not for you guys :)

Megasoum

Banned
I'm really curious about Planet Coaster but I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger at the current price...

I really loved RCT back in the days but the more I see of this game the more I feel like there's very strong emphasis put on the actual artistic design of your park to make it pretty and everything?

Like... I enjoy the management part of those games and managing and building the rides but I don't really care about making it pretty and I feel like I might be missing out if I play it that way?

Fou-Lu

Ended up getting Firewatch, What Remains of Edith Finch, Xanadu Next and Inside.

Just finished What Remains of Edith Finch actually and really liked it. Was not expecting
The Unfinished Swan tie in.

kevin1025

Banned
Ended up getting Firewatch, What Remains of Edith Finch, Xanadu Next and Inside.

Just finished What Remains of Edith Finch actually and really liked it. Was not expecting
The Unfinished Swan tie in.

You have chosen wisely. Really great selection of games!

bede-x

I wish Xanadu Next has full controller support.

It does, doesn't it? I mean, not in the sense that the controls would be mapped like that, if you made the game with the intention of supporting controllers from the beginning, but as far as I remember you can do everything with a controller. It's a little cumbersome with having to bring a cursor up with... Was it start button or something like that?

Don't know if this is old news but I didn't see it. Paradox reverted their prices and GTA5 removed their "ban" of the modding tool due to review bombing.

You can buy paradox games without feeling like you are being shaken like a money tree in the areas affected. You can buy gta5 and mod it.

Megasoum

Banned
Don't know if this is old news but I didn't see it. Paradox reverted their prices and GTA5 removed their "ban" of the modding tool due to review bombing.

You can buy paradox games without feeling like you are being shaken like a money tree in the areas affected. You can buy gta5 and mod it.

Paradox announced that they will revert back their prices but only after the sale has ended which really makes it even more a scam to buy their games right now.

Nabs

I wish Xanadu Next has full controller support.

It has controller support. It's just best to improve it a bit by using Steam's controller support and putting the mouse on the right stick (and left click on the right trigger). It's really solid.

cakefoo

Finally gonna get a HTC Vive tomorrow if all goes to plan, anyone got some recommendations for cool VR games that are on sale?
Here's a few ;)

Superhot VR - my favorite VR game to date. Short game but post-campaign challenge modes are amazing
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - two players, one reads manual, the other defuses a bomb
Thumper - Trippy rhythm game where your ship speeds along a track.
Job Simulator - One of the best VR showcases
Vanishing Realms - RPG with really good melee combat
Sairento VR - Bad-ass ninja-ry
Tilt Brush - the best 3D painting app on Vive
Raw Data - Lots of action, great visuals
Pavlov VR - essentially Counterstrike in VR, with a user-created maps
Tethered - Haven't played, but it's considered a good VR RTS
A Chair in a Room : Greenwater - roomscale psychological horror game, with great music, voice acting and story.
House of the Dying Sun - space sim with good reviews.
Brookhaven Experiment - horror wave shooter
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter - great VR port with sliding locomotion. haven't played.
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter - the sequel. if you get one, get First Encounter, consensus says
The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed - Just picked this one up in the sale. Just wanted to support the devs for sharing Knuckles info, and it also just looks like a solid VR experience
Dead Secret - Horror/Mystery. Just picked up in the sale.
Smashbox Arena - MP shooter with an arcadey feel.
Battlezone - tank combat. Haven't played
TO THE TOP - climbing/platforming with a new spin on grab mechanics.
Audioshield - Rhythm game with auto-generated beatmaps. Not as tight as manual maps, but you can play any song you can find on Youtube.
VR The Diner Duo - Asymmetric MP game (other player uses gamepad on monitor)
Project Cars - Great racing sim, best in VR.
Werewolves Within - multiplayer whodunnit where your words and body language can change the outcome
Lunar Flight - a really underrated Lunar Lander-like sim. Gamepad-based.
Fantastic Contraption - Roomscale physics puzzles where you build a contraption to get to the goal
OVRdrop (great app for bringing desktop windows into VR games)
Windlands - Spiderman-like platformer, very soothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom