• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

nitewulf

Two OOPs I'd been meaning to track down:
IMG_2618_zpslioevwhp.jpg

quite luckily i found the Hercules and Love Affair debut in the "new arrivals" bin of a local store like 2 years ago, and they have no idea about electronic music so they just priced it at $10 bucks, also snatched Darkdancer by Les Rhythms Digitales, Night on Fire by VHS and Beta and Destroy Rock and Roll by Mylo in the same bin (guess a DJ dropped off his/her stash), and they were like yeah just $5 for the single LPs and $10 for the double...I paid and was out the door like The Flash.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Or wait for the RSD reissue picture disc with all the main characters faces stamped on side A and the logo and credits on side B. It'll be a starry night black swirl variant as well.

tch

Hi guys. Looking at getting a setup as a gift this Christmas, and I have NO idea where to start looking. So I need the player, an amplifier(?), and speakers? I was looking at the Pro-ject carbon iii, it seems to be pretty popular, but I am open to suggestions. Also I've been reading and there are recommendations to upgrade the platter on that turntable? I don't want to get anything too entry level as I have a pretty big collection already and am in it for the long haul.

I would really appreciate any suggestions (especially regarding amps/pre-amps?/receivers)! I am still completely clueless despite my research haha. Thanks!

Hi guys. Looking at getting a setup as a gift this Christmas, and I have NO idea where to start looking. So I need the player, an amplifier(?), and speakers? I was looking at the Pro-ject carbon iii, it seems to be pretty popular, but I am open to suggestions. Also I've been reading and there are recommendations to upgrade the platter on that turntable? I don't want to get anything too entry level as I have a pretty big collection already and am in it for the long haul.

I would really appreciate any suggestions (especially regarding amps/pre-amps?/receivers)! I am still completely clueless despite my research haha. Thanks!

No need to upgrade a platter or cartridge yet. Pro-Ject Carbon III is real good for entry level. Haven't been up to date, but Rega P1 and Music Hall MMF 2.2 were comparable options. You can start out by buying a used receiver with a phono input and spend more money towards speakers. If the receiver doesn't have a phono input, then you can buy a simple phono stage like a Bellari or Cambridge Audio and hook that up via AUX input.

Personally, I use a Rotel amp & pre-amp + Cambridge Audio Azure 640p phono stage + Paradigm Studio speakers.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does anti-static mean they actually get rid of static, or would I still need an anti-static brush for that?

Yeah, I'm sure it's not going to literally stop all static. But, these are the inner sleeves to get according to most people. This'll be my first time using them. But, I've had limited experience with similar products that some random records have come with, and they certainly seemed to be way better than my generic paper sleeves.

tch

Thanks for the response Giant Robot! Think I'm finally starting to grasp the basics

Do you guys have a subwoofer in your vinyl setups?

I am looking at the Onkyo a-1910 integrated amp which seems pretty solid considering my budget but it is lacking a subwoofer output. Is this a deal-breaker or something I should be concerned with just starting out? I am not considering adding a Sub before I hear my setup for a while but am just checking my options. Or is there maybe a way to hook up a sub via RCA through the Line Out/ through the speaker outputs?

they're pretty nice. I use them for everything. Quite expensive, but worth it in my view. Watch out, as you might need to find more space for artwork/old sleeve.

wenis

Does anti-static mean they actually get rid of static, or would I still need an anti-static brush for that?
They'll lessen the amount of static already present on the disc. The best way to get rid of static and have your record clean would be to do a water bath rinse, dry and use an anti-static gun. Even just the bath does a pretty great job of setting it to neutral. That's what I'm currently doing is a water bath followed by giving the record a home in a Disk Keeper 2.0 Anti Static Sleeve. The Mofi (despite their current sale) would have been much more expensive to replace all of my collection with where the DK is just $13 all the time.

The most static you'll ever really hear is going to be off of current pressings in those printed sleeves. Those are harbingers of static doom in every case

December wrecked me since I decided to spend some on myself for the holidaze.

Miles Davis - Round About Midnight
Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Disasterpeace - FEZ
Ben Prunty - FTL
SEGA - Shinobi III Return of the Ninja Master

Can't wait to hear FTL in Q1 next year!

Myriadis

Now that just sucks, just want to vent my anger now:
Bought some vinyls at the record fair in Esch-sur-Alzette today. All of them working well, except one, and that's "Zeit" from Tangerine Dream, which I payed the most for (about 30€). Turns out, there's an almost unidentifiable dent on both vinyls that makes a low scratching sound for the first two minutes on every side. For songs that rely heavily on atmosphere pretty much dramatic.
I can't even contact the vendor since it was a fair and there was nothing I saw that hints to the whereabouts of his store. Maybe there are ways to correct this dent but I searched and found nothing. Anyone else where shit like this happened? First time I ever had something like this.

Xun

I think there were some specks in my purchase this year as well? I more noticed the double printing of "Videotape"s lyrics on the liner notes... Man it's funny what escapes proofing all the way to the end.
Very strange.

I bought the 2014 reissue of the mono version of Rubber Soul the other day for only £13!

It should be about £26 I believe.

Cheddahz

Banned
Did the weight on your tone arm slip? could cause the needle to bounce ever so slightly to give that volume change effect.
This could be it. I'm not home right now to actually check it, but how would I check this (might just go ahead and buy another needle as well, cause I think I need to replace it anyways)

Mantrox

This could be it. I'm not home right now to actually check it, but how would I check this (might just go ahead and buy another needle as well, cause I think I need to replace it anyways)

Check it first anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Usually the procedure, without any precision tools available, is something like this:
- Adjust the counterweight until the tonearm is perfectly parallel with the plynth (hanging in the air by itself at that angle).
- When it's on that position, move the counterweight marker to 0.
- Then, rotate the counterweight with the marker going along until it reaches the recomended Nm tracking force that's on your cartridge spec sheet.

When you are finished the tonearm should be descending slowly into the record; not plunging nor taking forever to make contact.

Depending on wich tonearm you have the procedure might be different.

tch

Is there a gauge of wire you would recommend for a relatively short run (less than 10 ft.) for my ELAC B6s (6 ohms)?

I've been reading but I'm still a little lost.

wenis

ok cool thanks!
Personally I would throw some banana clips on em. But yea the wire themselves aren't that big of a deal. Those Amazon deals on Copper wire are real good. Get some banana clips, take your time threading them and you're good to go.

pablito

New goodies. Kind of new anyway.

Prurient - Frozen Niagara Falls
Blut aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Lil Ugly Mane - RIP boxset
Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity/Love of Life boxset

Prurient. Three LPs but they're pretty much the same.

Sabbath, from Vinyl Me Please. I think the insert is from them? Idk.

Blut aus Nord. A little worn but oh well.

Swans. Nothing special about the LPs.

Lil Ugly Mane. LPs, tapes, patches and bandana.

Kwixotik

So for my birthday I got

AT-LP60 + Blowout Comb (+ a couple more albums on the way but nobody will tell me what)
The inserts for Blowout Comb are really cool. There's a big spread with historical info and interviews about the album and then the sleeves themselves have sort of a propaganda aesthetic apparently based on the look of the old Black Panther newspaper.

and I can finally make use of the only other record I have

I'm pretty excited. But now I gotta find some speakers and a nice stand for it. Will I need a receiver? I know it's got a built in pre-amp. But I also know jack shit about audio equipment.

Bacon

So I got my first two vinyls for Christmas - good kid maad city and illmatic. Finally got my system set up and am listening to it now. Totally loving it so far. It's great to have that feeling of ownership over the music that you love that streaming and digital fails to give you.

Linius

For some reason I had no clue this thread existed. Since I've finally made up my mind about what I want as my record player etc. I decided it's time to pick up some vinyls along the way if anything crosses my path. So in late november I bought the first few of them.

This one is signed by Kamasi after his show. Probably one of my hightlights of last year.

This is a Dutch pressing of the first run in 1965, in stereo. In great condition too.

Somewhat lesser condition, but one of my faves and for just 8 euros I couldn't leave it behind.

Also got my hands on the Christmas single from LCD Soundsystem, but that will probably take some weeks to arrive here. Next up on the wishlist are definitely some hiphop records. Some of them mentioned on this page, Nas and Digable Planets. But mainly A Tribe Called Quest's "The Low End Theory".

IrishNinja

So for my birthday I got

AT-LP60 + Blowout Comb (+ a couple more albums on the way but nobody will tell me what)
The inserts for Blowout Comb are really cool. There's a big spread with historical info and interviews about the album and then the sleeves themselves have sort of a propaganda aesthetic apparently based on the look of the old Black Panther newspaper.

damn, that's awesome! Blowout is high on my hip hop want list, love quality inserts so i'm looking forward to that now

The Canadian dollar being in the shitter is completely fucking over vinyl prices. Definitely not buying much going forward if it's $35-50 a record with taxes.

i said goddamn...that's rough man

So I'm looking for suggestions for the smallest possible bag that can comfortably hold 5-10 12" records without damaging them. Style doesn't matter too much, as long as it comes in black and has some sort of straps to carry it over the shoulder. I tend to buy a lot of records at local shops during my lunch breaks, and then have to lug them home on the bus/train.

Currently, I use the Mono Fader (http://monocreators.com/the-fader/), which is good, but it's huge so it takes up a stupid amount of space while I'm on public transit, plus it's falling apart after only a couple years.

The Hershel Survey Bag (http://shop.herschelsupply.com/collections/backpacks/the-survey) is actually perfect except everyone and their mom wears them here in Toronto so I'd prefer a brand that was a little less common/trendy.

I think the Manhattan Portage Medium DJ Bag (http://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/dj-bag-md-p-70.html) would be a good option but I can't find anywhere in Toronto that sells them and I'd prefer to at least see one in person to make sure I like it.

Any other ideas?

So I'm looking for suggestions for the smallest possible bag that can comfortably hold 5-10 12" records without damaging them. Style doesn't matter too much, as long as it comes in black and has some sort of straps to carry it over the shoulder. I tend to buy a lot of records at local shops during my lunch breaks, and then have to lug them home on the bus/train.

Currently, I use the Mono Fader (http://monocreators.com/the-fader/), which is good, but it's huge so it takes up a stupid amount of space while I'm on public transit, plus it's falling apart after only a couple years.

The Hershel Survey Bag (http://shop.herschelsupply.com/collections/backpacks/the-survey) is actually perfect except everyone and their mom wears them here in Toronto so I'd prefer a brand that was a little less common/trendy.

I think the Manhattan Portage Medium DJ Bag (http://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/dj-bag-md-p-70.html) would be a good option but I can't find anywhere in Toronto that sells them and I'd prefer to at least see one in person to make sure I like it.

Any other ideas?

Black tote bag fits 5-10 12" records nicely

Get one with long straps and you are ready to go. If you are worried damaging them somehow (not sure how), enforce the sides with 12" packaging cardboard from 12" mailers. If you are worried about getting them wet, wrap them in a plastic bag.

Best of all, you can most likely get all of these from the record shop for less than a fiver.

Black tote bag fits 5-10 12" records nicely

Get one with long straps and you are ready to go. If you are worried damaging them somehow (not sure how), enforce the sides with 12" packaging cardboard from 12" mailers. If you are worried about getting them wet, wrap them in a plastic bag.

Best of all, you can most likely get all of these from the record shop for less than a fiver.

I have lots of those, they don't offer much protection and are awkward to hold on shoulder. Prefer a more heavy duty option.

I have lots of those, they don't offer much protection and are awkward to hold on shoulder. Prefer a more heavy duty option.

The suggestion was a bit tongue in cheek but tote bags really are the best option for 5-10 records. I guess you could damage the records somehow, but I have lugged around records in tote bags for years and have yet to see even a bent corner (despite carrying them around blackout drunk etc.). :shrug:

And there are different kinds of straps on different kinds of totes too :) heh

pablito

Lol so I tried buying Blackstar clear version with a gift card. I wasn't sure it would work, but the transaction went through. Got a confirmation and everything. Then like a week later I get an order cancellation. Being too lazy to register the card until it was too late, I find that the clear version is sold out and for sale for 400 bucks on discogs.

I done fucked up.

Atrophis

Yeah there is no chance of getting that version of Blackstar now. Everywhere I checked yesterday was sold out. Even Amazon are sold out of black vinyl copies.

I ordered some interconnects and a Cambridge Audio 551P phono pre-amp yesterday. Set up my Kallax unit from Ikea last week and got my records unwrapped and stored. Getting my turntable at the end of the month. Cant wait :)

Linius

Yeah there's a run on these now. I was hoping to pick one up later this year when I have some money because now it's a bit tight. Too bad.

Chinner

Banned
Apparently there will be a repress of blackstar in feb.

They will also be releasing the five years box set into individual releases in February too. I'm hoping the prices of Bowies catalogue will drop again once some time has passed... It used to be really affordable, anyway. I may get ziggy as that usually is expensive.

Top Bottom