• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

nitewulf

That's the main setup.

On the shelf, bottom to top:
DAC
Preamp
Phono-preamp
Turntable

Next to it: Power Amp

Mostly electronic, jazz, rock...regular buys.

A lot more precious, original Blue Note, Prestige, Riverside, Pacific Jazz, Impulse! jazz albums, as well as audiophile reissues.

Sobriquet

P1230094_zpsxd3ytwrz.jpg

Oh my

nitewulf

my living situation isnt the best right now, i moved into a tiny studio after splitting from my wife (now ex-wife), and as you can see, i am not the best at house keeping. this was always a temporary situation and im mostly at work so i dont maintain the house too well. i need to move to a bigger place.

Nice. Thought it might be a pre-passing order. Do you know if it was it available in-store?

I think I might get that 5 Years box. I have everything on it already, but none of it on vinyl. How are the remasters?

With the exception of Alladin Sane (which to my ears is better than the original US, but not as good as the UK), the general agreement is that these are as good as if not better than original pressings. Given that people actually listened to their Bowie records, you will pay a whole lot of money to get originals that sound anywhere near as clean.

Sobriquet

With the exception of Alladin Sane (which to my ears is better than the original US, but not as good as the UK), the general agreement is that these are as good as if not better than original pressings. Given that people actually listened to their Bowie records, you will pay a whole lot of money to get originals that sound anywhere near as clean.

Sounds great, thanks!

kris.

Banned
So my parents spoiled the shit out of me for my birthday and got me an Onkyo CP-1050 and an HK3770 to upgrade from essentially nothing. I had one of those cheap Ion iLPs that I never used because it was garbage so this is my first real turntable and mannnnnnn. I don't have any speakers atm so I've been using my HD598s. First night I laid down in bed, put on some post-rock, and just melted into my bed. It was glorious. And this receiver is something else, too. The bluetooth functionality is awesome with all of my digital collection on my iPad. Once I have some speakers, that's gonna be used an awful lot.

SugarDave

I've quite suddenly and unexpectedly decided that I want to start buying records. I don't have a player at the moment and I would be surprised if I bother buying one any time soon as I still live at home and have no room at all. However, I was just curious what players some of you recommended. I wouldn't be looking to break the bank, for now let's just say I would be willing to spend roughly £100.

Bought the GTA V soundtrack earlier, my first ever vinyl.

Just pulled the trigger on my biggest ever single album purchase. My favorite album from my favorite band, Subrosa, had a limited run of 100 signed and numbered cream/red splatter copies that came with a print back when it first launched. I missed out the first time they went up for sale, but one just went up for sale tonight and I snagged it with some dollars I'd been setting aside for a new video card... that can wait a few months now.

zVdPlpT.jpg

(only picture I could find)

It was expensive, but I'm pretty stoked to have a piece of my favorite band's history! I have the regular black edition (also not cheap these days, unfortunately) that I can now use as a "burner" copy for heavy rotation, I guess.

Snaku

Banned
I've quite suddenly and unexpectedly decided that I want to start buying records. I don't have a player at the moment and I would be surprised if I bother buying one any time soon as I still live at home and have no room at all. However, I was just curious what players some of you recommended. I wouldn't be looking to break the bank, for now let's just say I would be willing to spend roughly £100.

For that budget, I'd recommend the AT-LP60. It's probably the best beginner turntable in that price range imo, and will let you enjoy your vinyl without tearing them up until you're ready to invest in something better.

Like always, I recommend scourging for used hifi stores and fleamarkets for a player that is in working condition and has a needle (or doesn't have either and is relatively easy to fix). Rule of thumb: if it weights a ton and it's most likely a good player

kess

Decided to order this behemoth, which is weird, because I never buy box sets -- but this one is only being released on vinyl and digital download. People who liked the Carl Stalling Project would like this because it collects his early work for Disney.

SSbox-2178.jpg

SillySymphony8covers-text-med.png

I won a Crosley player from a raffle at work and even though I know those players are bottom-tier, I was curious to try it out because I've never dropped the needle before. I got some cheap thrift store records (George Carlin's Class Clown? dope!) and I have to admit I'm kinda hooked on the whole gatefold thing and the vinyl pop and crackle. Now I have a hankering to order all of the recent Unwound reissues.

What's the next cheapest entry point to playing LPs? I know the commonly recommended players but I'm wary of all the side expenses that can add up (amps, speakers, needle replacements). I don't ever intend to blast a sound system in my current living situation, just play music out loud in the same volume as I would from a laptop.

I won a Crosley player from a raffle at work and even though I know those players are bottom-tier, I was curious to try it out because I've never dropped the needle before. I got some cheap thrift store records (George Carlin's Class Clown? dope!) and I have to admit I'm kinda hooked on the whole gatefold thing and the vinyl pop and crackle. Now I have a hankering to order all of the recent Unwound reissues.

What's the next cheapest entry point to playing LPs? I know the commonly recommended players but I'm wary of all the side expenses that can add up (amps, speakers, needle replacements). I don't ever intend to blast a sound system in my current living situation, just play music out loud in the same volume as I would from a laptop.

An LP60 and some bookshelf speakers or even a USB cable to your computer is the quick and dirty solution. You won't need an amp/receiver with that setup. Also, if you take care of it, needle replacements won't be anywhere near frequent.

SugarDave

I was just able to snag the 20th anniversary edition of the Straight Outta Compton LP for just over £8 which I'm pretty chuffed about.

Picked up a box to store the records I'm collecting since I won't even have a player for a little while too. Do most of you guys bother with the whole inner and outer sleeve thing as well as a brush for your stuff? As a beginner, I can't tell if it's worth it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I would promptly return that Crosley for full store credit and then go buy that LP60.

An LP60 and some bookshelf speakers or even a USB cable to your computer is the quick and dirty solution. You won't need an amp/receiver with that setup. Also, if you take care of it, needle replacements won't be anywhere near frequent.

I would promptly return that Crosley for full store credit and then go buy that LP60.

Good idea, I really should spring for the LP60. Unfortunately there's no receipt for the thing and the hinge on the dumb briefcase has already bent slightly. Wonder what the resale value is on this thing, if any.

wenis

Good idea, I really should spring for the LP60. Unfortunately there's no receipt for the thing and the hinge on the dumb briefcase has already bent slightly. Wonder what the resale value is on this thing, if any.

I mean, if you got the packaging or whatever, just say it was a gift and get store credit. flip store credit for amazon gift cards. bada bing.

Blade Runner soundtrack
Lost Themes by John Carpenter
Robocop soundtrack
Oldboy soundtrack

I have to stop... My girlfriend will kill me if another package shows up at the door... But these albums are like, mana for when I'm writing.

IrishNinja

I was just able to snag the 20th anniversary edition of the Straight Outta Compton LP for just over £8 which I'm pretty chuffed about.

aw man, local record shop out here wants like $50+ for the OG one now, haven't even seen that version out here yet...i gotta check discogs for details but that sounds like you done good!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Is there a beginners guide to vinyl? I don't want to spend a ton of money on equipment but I'd love to tip my toes in the pool as inexpensively as possible to start with and then grow from there.

ngower

Is there a beginners guide to vinyl? I don't want to spend a ton of money on equipment but I'd love to tip my toes in the pool as inexpensively as possible to start with and then grow from there.

There's one in the OP and there are looooaaaddsss of guides out there to get you started. Basics: secondhand market will give you more bang for your buck, but there are plenty of entry-level components. For ~$400 you could get a pretty damn solid setup to start with. Avoid the ready-made players like Crosley at all costs as they not only sound poor but can damage your records very easily.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
There's one in the OP and there are looooaaaddsss of guides out there to get you started. Basics: secondhand market will give you more bang for your buck, but there are plenty of entry-level components. For ~$400 you could get a pretty damn solid setup to start with. Avoid the ready-made players like Crosley at all costs as they not only sound poor but can damage your records very easily.

Well, the OP is from 2008 so I wasn't sure if anything had changed in the last six years.

$400 is more than I was hoping to spend, I was thinking something in the $200 ballpark.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Avoid the ready-made players like Crosley at all costs as they not only sound poor but can damage your records very easily.

Crosley is an obvious one to avoid, but ready-made isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can get pretty good '80s players that won't require any additional hardware (beyond a set of speakers, natch) for around $40 at most flea markets, Goodwill, etc. Just give it a once-over cleaning and you're good to go.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Y'know, I'm looking at prices for albums I'd want to rebuy in vinyl form and I'm suddenly very apprehensive about this endeavor.

Edit: That being said, I see that The Wirecutter, who I generally refer to for electronics, is recommending the LP120 since it doesn't require any sort of preamp. I'll probably pick up one of those somewhere down the road along with a decent set of powered 2.0 desktop speakers.

Edit 2: Liking the look of the M-Audio AV 40 speakers.

ngower

Well, the OP is from 2008 so I wasn't sure if anything had changed in the last six years.

$400 is more than I was hoping to spend, I was thinking something in the $200 ballpark.

For $200 you're gonna definitely need to go secondhand. You'll want to pay extra careful attention to make sure everything's in good shape. While you might find a decent secondhand turntable, the stylus might need replacing or could lead to record wear, and definitely want to make sure you're getting compatible speakers with your amp (i.e. don't over/underpower the speakers).

You'll need as follows: Turntable>>phono preamplifier>>stereo amplifier AND speakers OR powered speakers. Interconnects (Blue Jean Cable or Monoprice will suffice in the early goings) to connect devices and speaker cable (same sources).

For new stuff, U-Turn offer the best (new) budget tables, with Music Hall, Pro-Ject, Rega, etc offering solid offerings a step up in price. Audioengine make some powered speakers that are highly regarded, but I'm a fan of the stereo amp to speaker route.

[EDIT] Look up the TCC-750 for a basic preamp. It will do the job for now (quite well) and can be found for about $50 shipped.

If cost is an issue, then avoid vinyl. The prices just keep going up and it doesn't seem to be willing to pop anytime soon (though the prices most certainly are overinflated).

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
For $200 you're gonna definitely need to go secondhand. You'll want to pay extra careful attention to make sure everything's in good shape. While you might find a decent secondhand turntable, the stylus might need replacing or could lead to record wear, and definitely want to make sure you're getting compatible speakers with your amp (i.e. don't over/underpower the speakers).

You'll need as follows: Turntable>>phono preamplifier>>stereo amplifier AND speakers OR powered speakers. Interconnects (Blue Jean Cable or Monoprice will suffice in the early goings) to connect devices and speaker cable (same sources).

For new stuff, U-Turn offer the best (new) budget tables, with Music Hall, Pro-Ject, Rega, etc offering solid offerings a step up in price. Audioengine make some powered speakers that are highly regarded, but I'm a fan of the stereo amp to speaker route.

[EDIT] Look up the TCC-750 for a basic preamp. It will do the job for now (quite well) and can be found for about $50 shipped.

If cost is an issue, then avoid vinyl. The prices just keep going up and it doesn't seem to be willing to pop anytime soon (though the prices most certainly are overinflated).

Yeah, I'm thinking this is a bit too pricey for me, I'm gonna bail.

Thanks for all the info though.

SugarDave

Yeah, I was trying to avoid that one. All of the ones with the original cover don't make it clear which version they are though, even the sellers don't seem to know when I message them.

wenis

The 20th anniversary one is a great remaster and pressing job (the XX, alt cover artwork). I can't verify the quality of the clean pressing, but who really buys hip-hop albums minus the profanity?

if the cover really matters that much then you might want to just track down and pay the cost of an original pressing. ($70 on discogs from Japan)

can't verify the quality of the pressing/AQ on these

Get On Down ‎– GET 51297 LP

Simply Vinyl ‎– SVLP 377

I'm willing to hedge my bets the Sony one in 2012 was probably not as affected by the pressing plant over saturation, but those Simply Vinyl have the better chance of being a nicer pressing. The comment on the SV, says its a great pressing, so that may be what you want to go with. You can check steve hoffman forums or others for more info.

ngower

Went nuts at the Newbury Comics 25% off sale:

The Knife - Silent Shout
Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Cocteau Twins - Tiny Dynamine / Echoes in a Shallow Bay
Grimes - Visions
White Stripes - White Stripes
Kamasi Washington - The Epic

I might have picked up something else but I can't remember. Probably going to return the Kamasi Washington album as I'm seeing stuff online that the pressing had some pretty poor quality control, and I'm not spending $30 on a record to sound like garbage. May return the Grimes or White Stripes records (I have CDs of both) in exchange for something a bit more adventurous. I've spent like $500 on equipment and or records in the past couple of weeks AHHH!!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
psGV06Z.jpg

I wonder what it was like to be a singer/songwriter in the 70s when you wrote a pretty good song and then Billy Paul fucking records it and shows you how much better it could have been.

Also this:

kFEMcs3.jpg

Mr. Doop

Newbury comic's 25% off deal is 2good.

7DBw0.jpg

The Air album is a 1998 original french pressing. The other's were all bought at Newbury.

big ander

was happy for these pickups yesterday:
bit of an impulse buy with that The Faith/Void split, but I'm excited to hear it. 2011 reissue.
the Mecca Normal was even more of an impulse because all I've heard from them are some live GY!BE recordings they're on but this album Jarred Up looked like a cool singles comp to work as an intro to them, and they were on my mind from reading Carrie Brownstein's book. it's in pretty nice shape too.

Top Bottom