• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Linius

VeIb.jpg

Took some time to get here but this just got in
QVPSZuL.png

andylsun

Best $2.50 I've spent in a while.

Replaced the 40 year old motor run capacitor in my Thorens TD-165 turntable with a new one.

Completely cured an annoying AC mains hum I've been getting. very pleased.

On the vinyl front, picked up Tycho Awake. Love the packaging and artwork, and such a great record.

bjjvKE3l.jpg

Got my Vinyl storage in:

Disregard my leftovers in disregard on the turntable setup...this was done right before finishing everything this weekend :).

Top Rows: Rock/Indie/Alt/Everything-Not-Below mega section
Bottom Left: Electronic
Bottom Center: Rap, Soundtracks, Western Swing (Bob Wills mostly...), collaborations/curated playlists
Bottom Right: 90% Jazz/10%Folk

Gonna actually extract folk from the rest of the sections and bundle it with Western Swing/Gospel/Soundtrack/Mixes/ and take the upper-right section. so Rap can be expanded quite a bit and take up a row by itself.

big ander

Void-side of that split is pretty much the perfect hardcore record. The Faith is great too.
Spun it last night, thought both sides were awesome. Did like theVoid side just a hair more, it has some hxcpunk silliness that I couldn't completely swallow but it's more consistent and interesting than the Faith side. I got it because I saw some internet comment describe Parquet Courts as "smooth the Faith/Void" and it stuck in my head--the comparison turned out to be warranted, oddly enough. Songs like this one aren't too far off from them: Void - "Organized Sports"
Mines coming in soon. That and the limited white label of LCD's London Sessions
such a gd great record. that version of "All I Want" especially, the London version is one of LCD's best songs

teiresias

Got my Vinyl storage in:

Disregard my leftovers in disregard on the turntable setup...this was done right before finishing everything this weekend :).

Bottom Center: Rap, Soundtracks, Western Swing (Bob Wills mostly...), collaborations/curated playlists

Gonna actually extract folk from the rest of the sections and bundle it with Western Swing/Gospel/Soundtrack/Mixes/ and take the upper-right section. so Rap can be expanded quite a bit and take up a row by itself.

What's that white storage shelf? Would go great in my mid-century modern living room!

Got my Vinyl storage in:

Bob Dylan The Cutting Edge AND Wilco's Alpha Mike Foxtrot? You are a person of incredible taste and character. Kudos.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
How do you guys normally clean album covers. I'm on the last 100 or so records to clean with a spin clean so now I'm thinking about the record covers.

I've seen videos of the Lysol wipes and have heard light fluid is also a good cleaner. Just wondering about others techniques and stories of record damage so I know what not to do.

theRizzle

Weird... I have never seen this thread before, but I figured there HAD to be a vinyl thread.

I had a friend who was a cabinetmaker make these shelves custom for me. They are real wood and incredibly heavy, even without any records in them. This is an older pic and they are mostly full now. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to something else or have him add another piece to it.

J6OkBqS.jpg

Anyone else have a list online? For trades and/or selling? Here is mine. Or the first half of the alphabet anyways. I gave up at M, but you can get a pretty good idea of what I have.

theRizzle

What's for sale?

For me? Pretty much everything. I live in the Arctic and had to leave my record collection back down south, and I have no plans to return there permanently. It might be 3 years, might be 10. So I basically have my records sitting in a spare bedroom at my dad's house indefinitely. I go back twice a year (Summer & Christmas holidays) and usually sell and ship a few records then.

What's for sale?

If you're talking to me, nothing. You can set up want lists and sell shit on discogs, though.

Someday I need to do that, too. But currently I'm too lazy to go through all my records. :/

Yeah it can take some time if you have a big collection. It's handy to have, though. There's an app for your phone that will let you scan things in if they have a bar code which speeds things up considerably.

wenis

For me? Pretty much everything. I live in the Arctic and had to leave my record collection back down south, and I have no plans to return there permanently. It might be 3 years, might be 10. So I basically have my records sitting in a spare bedroom at my dad's house indefinitely. I go back twice a year (Summer & Christmas holidays) and usually sell and ship a few records then.

Cool Cool. Was curious.

WEGGLES

Got a couple things I think are pretty cool in the mail today!

Eluvium - Life Through Bombardment
A 7 LP "Book" collecting Matthew Cooper's releases from 2009-2015
Words don't do it justice. Really happy with the quality of this thing. It also came with a poster of the little image from the cover.... now to scour ebay for a copy of Vol 1.

The library checkout card in the front cover is signed by Matt Cooper and other people involved in the project. The last censored line is the book being checked out to me, which is a nice touch. The number in the corner is what copy # mine is out of 1000.

The art is by Matthew Cooper's wife, which matches the tone of the music very well. Big fan of this release!
http://shop.temporaryresidence.com/trr260

Album with more pictures

of Montreal - Hissing Fauna Are You The Destroyer Picture Disc

Album with more pictures

amnesiac

Is there no way to tell when an item on the Discogs marketplace was listed (other than the generic oldest -> newest filter which doesn't give a specific date)?

wenis

The individual Bowie reissues from the 5 Years set are out now - just grabbed Ziggy myself.
I know the Ziggy reiusse in that boxset is just the one that came out not too long ago (4 years ago I think now) but ive curious to know what, if any work at all, went into the remaining four.

so my girlfriend bought me four GLADSAX frames for my birthday, which reminded me I have another four sitting somewhere in my other house and I finally decided to use them. Problem was, first time around I realized it was kind of a pain in the ass to center the jacket in the visible portion of the frame. You have more than an eight of an inch play at all sides. We have a laser cutter at work, so I cut up spacers for each corner and now most standard LPs will sit exactly in the center with no effort. The picture is terrible (damn the Note 3 to hell), but yeah. I hope to take pictures of a set of frames when I make more spacers. I really love the GLADSAX frame by the way, great value I think.

I know the Ziggy reiusse in that boxset is just the one that came out not too long ago (4 years ago I think now) but ive curious to know what, if any work at all, went into the remaining four.

Well, they're all listed as "2015 remaster" so I'm assuming some work was done? To be honest I feel like if there's one discography that doesn't really need a remaster, it's Bowie's. I'm pretty sure we've figured out what it's meant to sound like at this point.

It's worth noting that the Ziggy reissue (which is the same as the 2012 version) is the only reissue in the box that is cut from analog tapes. All the other albums are digitally cut. The new reissues supposedly sound really good, but earlier analog pressings are still desirable if you want the best sounding copies.

some good info in this thread: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/david-bowie-five-years-1969-1973-2015-13-vinyl-box-set.466806/

Oh nice, thanks for the info. I already have Alaadin Sane, Diamond Dogs, and Lodger (old UK pressings) so now that I have Ziggy I'm good until they repress the Berlin albums so I can snag Station to Station, Heroes, and Low.

My copies of Ziggy and Hunky Dory arrived the other day from my pre order. They both sound fantastic. Even before Bowie passed, both those albums were hard to find or super jacked up in price at records stores and record fairs I attended. I am just really happy to have both those albums. If I ever come across an original pressing in decent shape and price, I'll gladly double down but my guess is they are going to be even more over priced for a while unless you get really lucky.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/recordstoreday/2016/2016_RSD_PUBLIC.pdf

RSD 2016 list is out.

Personally, I only REALLY want Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites.

I believe earlier in this thread I named it as "That one album not yet on vinyl".

Once again my top want is for RSD to fuck off.

But I guess I have to buy that Jay Reatard reissue + Blood demos 7" because I just few days ago completed my Reatard collection :(

edit:
http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-releases/rsd-2016/jay-reatard/

Jay Reatard passed away on 13thJanaury 2010

Oh really

wenis

Another RSD where nothing is sticking out. At least not enough to get me to get out of bed and in stores on time.

deleted

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to this stuff and just started collecting more or less. I'm taking my time, buying an LP every other month and listening when I have time on my hands.
Thing is - I have no idea how to properly clean the records before playing and if my player is okay enough to not damage anything if I listen to the records more often...

I have this table - DUAL DT 210:
That okay for the start? Any tips on how to clean the needle every now and then and the records before I play them?

Edit: The thing that brought me to this thread: I bought a new album today and it just keeps skipping. No idea why - the record seems clean and some songs run normal. I'm just listening to another record to compare, but that seems to run just fine (new is 33, other one is 45 though - no idea if that has influence on the player somehow...). No idea if it's the record or if my player just has a problem with this particular one..

wenis

Have you checked to see if your record is warped? If not then there might just be micro-dust caught in the grooves that's causing a skip, something easily treatable, but barely noticeable until you listen to it.

As for cleaning needles there's a few ways out there, I'll go in order of price:

8adkXJI.jpg

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Cleaning Pads
Some people rely on these for all sorts of vinyl care (I do not though, but there are quite a few online who believe in these things). Just drop the needle onto a pad and immediately lift it up with the tone arm lever. you don't brush the needle with these things, the pad should pick up whatever gunk or dust is on the needle, if any.

dC17keg.jpg

Mobile Fidelity #9 Stylus Cleaning Fluid
I've heard good stuff about this one, but haven't tried it myself. Probably gets the job done and if its from a company like MFSL, then you're getting good products because they generally know what they're talking about.

WKJeVXRl.jpg

ZERODUST ONZOW STYLUS TIP CLEANER
Now this is the real deal. I've used it twice now and really like this stuff. It's a proprietary gunk that like the magic pad you drop the needle into and immediately lift up. Then you stir it around the the dust or gunk falls to the bottom. Works great and lasts for YEARS.

As for cleaning records themselves...

8adkXJI.jpg

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Cleaning Pads
I've actually tried this on a junky record with no attachment to and the results weren't stellar, but it sorta did ok? I dunno, proceed with caution, try it on a dime record and see if you like the results.

iTaCqNw.jpg

Mobile Fidelity: Record Cleaning Brush
This is my favorite dry cleaner. Picks up any surface dust, paper or dirt. While it's not a thorough cleaning it gets the job done for newer records or records that have been previously water cleaned.

bISemtA.jpg

In The Groove Record Cleaner
Have never tried them myself, but some people swear by the results. I'm paranoid about any sticky texture being applied to my vinyl though.

M8fJFgTl.jpg

Hunt: EDA Mark 6 Carbon Fiber Record Brush
Something else people often swear by is a Carbon Fiber Brush. Not my cup of tea, but I think there's a huge amount of record collectors that love these things.

8cJMRT7.jpg

SPIN-CLEAN
This is my favorite deep clean, wet vinyl care system. I've had one for almost a year and have gone through my collection extensively cleaning and replacing the inner sleeves on everything with non-paper sleeves. Easily recommended if you imagine yourself really getting deep. Otherwise it's a big price to chew if you're just starting. The solution included, if used properly will clean 50 records a session, so you'd need some investment before buying into this.

mr8aAdb.jpg

Nitty Gritty 2.0
This is my dream. Couple this with the Spin Clean, you'd get the one two combo of a water clean plus a vaccuum to really get those records back to their glory. Nothing will fix scratches or dents, but this is damn well near perfect.

Top Bottom