• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

Both of them have the projectile. Every Minazuki I've met and every Sho I've met just mash. So, Minazuki has always been a bigger pain.

They're both pretty annoying, I agree. I guess its just how matches turned out for each of us. I've always had a harder time with regular Sho.

The point is that fun games are fun. Popularity shouldn't matter.

When the fun of a game is about competing with others, then yes. It does matter, significantly. Fighting games aren't fun if you don't have anyone to fight. And the AI is certainly not fun, especially in this game.

Yeah but what if we get to the point where all out power levels are so strong that all of out W-l-d ratios are the same, then who will we get a challenge from?

All games have a shelf life. That moment is bound to eventually come but that's no reason to avoid the game because you know eventually you won't play it anymore.

I thought this community was for this thing called the two best friends? But for some reason they have two other dudes with them? Some anime dude called vita, and some lying predator man called pie stealer woolie?

WHO!?

And if it wasn't for this community, I'd hardly ever be playing this game even though its amazing. Having more people though would be a huge benefit.
Thats true, the only time I play ultimax is either to practice or play with one of you guys. Cause fuck golden arena its just a gussied up survival mode, and FUCK SCORE ATTACK, THE NAVIS ARENT WORTH IT!

And if it wasn't for this community, I'd hardly ever be playing this game even though its amazing. Having more people though would be a huge benefit.

Don't get me wrong, if I had Xrd I'd definitely put more time into it because it's the new thing and it's where everyone (including noobs like me) is at but I don't think that's a reason to just shelf old games immediately.

Thats true, the only time I play ultimax is either to practice or play with one of you guys. Cause fuck golden arena its just a gussied up survival mode, and FUCK SCORE ATTACK, THE NAVIS ARENT WORTH IT!

Its why I've moved on to Xrd, which is much more populated (for ArcSys fighters anyway).

Though I'll still never say no to a game of Ultimax Its like the best friends how they love 3rd Strike to death and played it all the time when they had people to play with, but they rarely played it later on until it was re-released on the PS3/360 with online and had a community again. If there's no one to play it with, then its not fun to play, as great as it is itself.

Don't get me wrong, if I had Xrd I'd definitely put more time into it because it's the new thing and it's where everyone (including noobs like me) is at but I don't think that's a reason to just shelf old games immediately.

I wouldn't shelf Ultimax because there's still people to play with. If I had no one to play with, it'd get shelfed hard unless I want to play the story mode for some completely insane reason or the online community for some reason starts to come back to it, whether its DLC or a new version.

Play the superior console version pleb
but actually golden is apparently the true way to experience 4
also robots??? You mean the giant robot enemies that were only in like 3 dungeons?

Golden's alright. New music and voice acting are really good, but the Golden extra story content is just lame. And by lame, I mean even lamer than the vanilla story content. And the extra dungeon sucks and Marie sucks.

There's only one good thing about it (P4 spoilers)
Adachi social link and getting Magatsu Izanagi is the best reason to own Golden.

Naw I just make my own lore, like abu and PG dream of running a bakery together while skLaFarebear secretly resents his parents for never signing him up for dance lessons when he was a kid.

Just like in my dreams.

The online scene is pathetic... the infastructure tho is like the best thing ever tho, if it had the numbers to keep it active, just want to point that out.

I hope it gets a second life to it eventually. But I can already say I feel Xrd has a much better handle on it. It's lobbies are a great sort of compromise between Ultimax's lobbies and a standard room format combined. So they facilitate casual and hardcore play[with it's limited audience] much better, without splitting them up.

My only complaint is that you have to pick your character before you enter. Just give me a character select screen at the start of a match.

Ultimax is great if you have friends, but the online scene in this game is beyond pathetic. Especially with Xrd out now and a lot of anime fighting fans going to that now (like me).

Ultimax is still a GOTY, but I don't think I'm gonna get too deep into it, because honestly what's the point? Hardly anyone besides us plays this game.

The online scene is pathetic... the infastructure tho is like the best thing ever tho, if it had the numbers to keep it active, just want to point that out.

I hope it gets a second life to it eventually. But I can already say I feel Xrd has a much better handle on it. It's lobbies are a great sort of compromise between Ultimax's lobbies and a standard room format combined. So they facilitate casual and hardcore play[with it's limited audience] much better, without splitting them up.

ultimax

Naw I just make my own lore, like abu and PG dream of running a bakery together while skLaFarebear secretly resents his parents for never signing him up for dance lessons when he was a kid.
That's some pretty hype lore, but my dream will always be to become Hokage. Then people will start respecting me. Believe it!
You are the only person that showed up at James Smalls birthday party and he didn't even want to let you in.

This is just hilarious

Because sales were so mediocre, I doubt there's gonna be a third version or even new DLC characters for this series. This will probably be the last we see of a Persona fighting game, especially with Xrd going to get all the love and development time for its new versions, unless Atlus decides to team up with ArcSys again for a P5 one.

Its all about Dengeki Bunko, you scrubs

The fact that this game probably sold better than Ultimax makes me hate you even more for buying it.

Because sales were so mediocre, I doubt there's gonna be a third version or even new DLC characters for this series. This will probably be the last we see of a Persona fighting game, especially with Xrd going to get all the love and development time for its new versions, unless Atlus decides to team up with ArcSys again for a P5 one.

The fact that this game probably sold better than Ultimax makes me hate you even more for buying it.
Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

no I dont want this to happen! P4A is what got me into fighting games!
I liked tatsunoko, but it never made me wanna git gud. Persona 4 Arena was the first time I ever even touched a training mode...

no I dont want this to happen! P4A is what got me into fighting games!
I liked tatsunoko, but it never made me wanna git gud. Persona 4 Arena was the first time I ever even touched a training mode...

Now you know how fans of dead fighting games feel. I'm sure they won't just let the series die though. There's a lot of development time that went into making these characters. Maybe we might finally see an ArcSys crossover game? Or something cool, who knows.

Now you know how fans of dead fighting games feel. I'm sure they won't just let the series die though. There's a lot of development time that went into making these characters. Maybe we might finally see an ArcSys crossover game? Or something cool, who knows.
Is this what Mahvel fans are feeling right now?

Zenfalcia

Were sales of p4a really that good to warrant ultimax being made? or was it a contract thing?

Were sales of p4a really that good to warrant ultimax being made? or was it a contract thing?

They were probably pretty decent. Persona 4 was still extremely well liked at the time, and it hit a new popularity with the hype for Golden. Plus, it was hyped as a game with a story mode that's a "sequel to persona 4" and "written by the original writers of persona 4 themselves"

Besides, making ultimax was nowhere near as expensive. Everything was already in place. They just had to make a few new characters and tweak the one's already there.

Zenfalcia

They were probably pretty decent. Persona 4 was still extremely well liked at the time, and it hit a new popularity with the hype for Golden. Plus, it was hyped as a game with a story mode that's a "sequel to persona 4" and "written by the original writers of persona 4 themselves"

Besides, making ultimax was nowhere near as expensive. Everything was already in place. They just had to make a few new characters and tweak the one's already there.

They probably made a killing on p4u since like you said, they just reused assets and tweaked things.

They probably made a killing on p4u since like you said, they just reused assets and tweaked things.

I wouldn't say a killing. Ultimax unfortunately came out in a time where people were burned out from hearing the word persona, with Golden and Dancing all Night and Persona Q, etc.

P4A when that first came out was a lot more populated online than ultimax was. Its sad though. If even a fourth of the Persona community actually liked ultimax, it would have a decent community, but then again, expecting even a fourth of JPRG fans to like fighting games is just ridiculous. Especially when its Persona 4 which is a very casual, laid back JRPG, in complete contrast with P4A which is an intense fighting game.

Zenfalcia

I wouldn't say a killing. Ultimax unfortunately came out in a time where people were burned out from hearing the word persona, with Golden and Dancing all Night and Persona Q, etc.

P4A when that first came out was a lot more populated online than ultimax was. Its sad though. If even a fourth of the Persona community actually liked ultimax, it would have a decent community, but then again, expecting JPRG fans to like fighting games is just ridiculous.

Shame. Persona overload. I hope persona 5 isn't a bomb.. or it'll cripple the series for a while..

yeah.. but it does have a following which is nice.. it's not big, but still.. the niche-ness of the game is very specific.. and not many people actually like it..

ultimax

P4A when that first came out was a lot more populated online than ultimax was. Its sad though. If even a fourth of the Persona community actually liked ultimax, it would have a decent community, but then again, expecting even a fourth of JPRG fans to like fighting games is just ridiculous. Especially when its Persona 4 which is a very casual, laid back JRPG, in complete contrast with P4A which is an intense fighting game.

doesnt help that theres not ps4 version. alot of people ditched their ps3's

demidar

Shame. Persona overload. I hope persona 5 isn't a bomb.. or it'll cripple the series for a while..

yeah.. but it does have a following which is nice.. it's not big, but still.. the niche-ness of the game is very specific.. and not many people actually like it..

The Persona series is probably the biggest niche series ever. P5 will be just fine.

Atlus kind of has a difficult situation to deal with. They could just do P4 again except make it even more anime and it'd probably be extremely popular among fans and critics (though some might reject it). Personally, that would be where I'd give up on the series for good.

Atlus can also do something crazy and completely change the formula. Make a transition as big as P2 was to P3. It'd be insane to see what they could come up with, but if they abandoned the waifu pandering and social links, people would despise it for getting rid of that feature (unless its replaced with a similar mechanic in some way). It won't bomb financially, but people could hate it because people hate change in their video games. A lot of them don't even understand that social links and waifus weren't always a thing in Persona games.

That new "how would you improve Persona 5" thread was a perfect example where a majority of people thought I was talking about making it more like SMT4 instead of making it more like P2.

doesnt help that theres not ps4 version. alot of people ditched their ps3's

That also makes a big difference. Maybe a re-release on PS4 and cross play would help give it some life.

And you also have to take into account that Persona, and shin megami tensai is a super cult series and you take a fourth of normal JRPG players who mainly play tales/ final fantasy. And you cut that in half or less and you have the fan base of persona/shin megami tensai.
Then you cut that in by a quarter and you have the amount of people who like fighting games and Persona. If persona fans wanted to know what happened they probably would just look it up on the net.
Atlus kind of has a difficult situation to deal with. They could just do P4 again except make it even more anime and it'd probably be extremely popular among fans and critics (though some might reject it). Personally, that would be where I'd give up on the series for good.

Atlus can also do something crazy and completely change the formula. Make a transition as big as P2 was to P3. It'd be insane to see what they could come up with, but if they abandoned the waifu pandering and social links, people would despise it for getting rid of that feature (unless its replaced with a similar mechanic in some way). It won't bomb financially, but people could hate it because people hate change in their video games. A lot of them don't even understand that social links and waifus weren't always a thing in Persona games.

That new "how would you improve Persona 5" thread was a perfect example where a majority of people thought I was talking about making it more like SMT4 instead of making it more like P2.
I dont know taking out social links would be like taking the ATB out of a final fantasy game.
its so ingrained into the series as a system all you can really do is improve it.
all I can really hope is that the combat gets tweaked and changed to be more exciting. And I REALLY hope the story is dark and more mature than persona 4 and to a lesser extent persona 3s. So far it seems like it will be with the teaser about wanting emancipation, and being a slave to society.
im not loving protagoni5ts design too much. The glasses make me think of p4 too much.

Top Bottom