• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Huh, I didn't know they made a Marvel Dissidia game.

Also, for their next project, Rocksteady should make a Black Widow game.

However, the latest episode really soured me on Pat due to his treatment of Woolie. I know it's been a long-running joke among the fanbase that Pat is an asshole, and it has led to endless entertainment over the years, but Pat really showed something quite unpleasant in this video. He was consistently arrogant, rude, condescending, and downright mean-spirited. It was extremely uncomfortable to listen to, and I'm now convinced that all jokes aside, he's just not a nice person. There's a difference between playful, insulting banter, and downright maliciousness.

I think a lot of it was "empty nest" syndrome for Pat. During the DSII playthrough, Woolie basically had to take the Word of Pat as gospel, especially on matters of lore, because he had no background with the games or their community. Now, with Bloodborne, he's getting to the point where he knows as much about the game as Pat does, so Pat's become more vociferous in trying to assert his dominance on the few matters where he feels like he still has an "edge".

(Feels like being the operant term, as personally I completely disagree with Pat in terms of stat allocation in particular. The regain system specifically encourages offense, more damage means more stagger and more health back from swinging like a madman. The "vigor first" way of building is like trying to play Bloodborne with the shield.)

I'm a big Best Friends fan, but I never post here due to all the anime talk which I find a little intimidating (since I'm not into it, at all).

But I feel like I need to add my two cents on something.

I've been watching the Bloodborne LP and enjoying it for the most part (minus the godawful pace of Woolie the Lying Pie-Stealing Snail with 20/20 vision). I've also been able to accept Pat's wildly off-base speculation which he constantly insists on as being fact. All things considered, it's an entertaining LP of a game I love.

However, the latest episode really soured me on Pat due to his treatment of Woolie. I know it's been a long-running joke among the fanbase that Pat is an asshole, and it has led to endless entertainment over the years, but Pat really showed something quite unpleasant in this video. He was consistently arrogant, rude, condescending, and downright mean-spirited. It was extremely uncomfortable to listen to, and I'm now convinced that all jokes aside, he's just not a nice person. There's a difference between playful, insulting banter, and downright maliciousness.

Woolie took it surprisingly well, and it's commendable that he did - he's clearly a lot more mature.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether or not I'll slither away from this thread again. Should I stay?

TL;DR - I was let down by Pat's vicious, childish attitude in the latest Bloodborne video, and it has made me question my whole perception of him.

What? Woolie was super wrong and Pat kept trying to explain that, and Woolie got all holier-than-thou and pissy. He actually made it personal with the "it's just how you deal with things" shit. Woolie has no idea what he's talking about and he's going "well that's just, like, your opinion man"

I think a lot of it was "empty nest" syndrome for Pat. During the DSII playthrough, Woolie basically had to take the Word of Pat as gospel, especially on matters of lore, because he had no background with the games or their community. Now, with Bloodborne, he's getting to the point where he knows as much about the game as Pat does, so Pat's become more vociferous in trying to assert his dominance on the few matters where he feels like he still has an "edge".

(Feels like being the operant term, as personally I completely disagree with Pat in terms of stat allocation in particular. The regain system specifically encourages offense, more damage means more stagger and more health back from swinging like a madman. The "vigor first" way of building is like trying to play Bloodborne with the shield.)

It's two fucking points! you don't wanna pump your attack stats unless it matters, and it doesn't currently matter at all!

It's two fucking points! you don't wanna pump your attack stats unless it matters, and it doesn't currently matter at all!

I posted a minor epic on why that's wrong above, but to be brief: ignore the fucking character sheet, the Bloodborne version is almost completely useless.

Real talk: this isn't Dark Souls II. You heal very quickly in this game, so you don't need enough Health to fight the boss from 100% to 0 without healing. You can and should actually be healing constantly during the fight. The value you get from Health, as long as you aren't being one-shot, is simply that you heal more per Blood Vial (because they're percentage based). That's it. That's all that Health is actually worth, because as soon as you've been hit once your max Health no longer matters, only your healing.

And you can get healing off offensive stats.

Pat would be right about Endurance being a high-value stat if they were using different weapons or styles of play, but since they're currently on the Spin-to-Win train it doesn't actually net very much. The fully-charged R2 doesn't really reward stamina investment heavily.

Strength actually is the most valuable stat they could level.

Geg

I hope they haven't already given up on their "what's coming out this month" videos. Last month they posted it on the 1st

Alfebit

Banned
Holy shit this scrublords. I'm not even 10 minutes in and I'm getting a headache from whatever the fuck is happening on screen.

is it true cap had the courage to croch kick the hulk
- The Truest Marvel Hero, Allie from Miiverse
Best Scrublords ever

I posted a minor epic on why that's wrong above, but to be brief: ignore the fucking character sheet, the Bloodborne version is almost completely useless.

Real talk: this isn't Dark Souls II. You heal very quickly in this game, so you don't need enough Health to fight the boss from 100% to 0 without healing. You can and should actually be healing constantly during the fight. The value you get from Health, as long as you aren't being one-shot, is simply that you heal more per Blood Vial (because they're percentage based). That's it. That's all that Health is actually worth, because as soon as you've been hit once your max Health no longer matters, only your healing.

And you can get healing off offensive stats.

Pat would be right about Endurance being a high-value stat if they were using different weapons or styles of play, but since they're currently on the Spin-to-Win train it doesn't actually net very much. The fully-charged R2 doesn't really reward stamina investment heavily.

Strength actually is the most valuable stat they could level.

But health in these games is about the magic pixel, not taking hits over time. You want as much health as possible because from 100% to 1% is a better deal than 100% to 0%. Endurance-wise, Pat's gonna be using either the Holy Sword or the Stake Driver, it looked like. Besides, you want more stamina for rolls. If they were trying to minmax you'd probably be right, but this is an LP utility build for guys who are trying to talk over the game, so they need as much error room as they can get. The damage increase is absolutely negligible anyway. It's nowhere near worth it.

I'm a big Best Friends fan, but I never post here due to all the anime talk which I find a little intimidating (since I'm not into it, at all).

I've been watching the Bloodborne LP and enjoying it for the most part (minus the godawful pace of Woolie the Lying Pie-Stealing Snail with 20/20 vision). I've also been able to accept Pat's wildly off-base speculation which he constantly insists on as being fact. All things considered, it's an entertaining LP of a game I love.

Woolie took it surprisingly well, and it's commendable that he did - he's clearly a lot more mature.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether or not I'll slither away from this thread again. Should I stay?

TL;DR - I was let down by Pat's vicious, childish attitude in the latest Bloodborne video, and it has made me question my whole perception of him.

You're not the only person whose ha to question Pat's attitude towards Woolie in this LP, but to be frank, they're both trying to play this game like a Souls game, when it's a different monster.

I don't like Pat playing ahead and acting high and mighty about information that might not even be correct, as I don't like Woolie tip toeing through everything. They do not make for great entertainment.

Hopefully, that session was just a misstep.

Also, the thread is safe for the general public. Feel free to post in here. The shenanigans have been relocated.

aly

You're not the only person whose ha to question Pat's attitude towards Woolie in this LP, but to be frank, they're both trying to play this game like a Souls game, when it's a different monster.

I don't like Pat playing ahead and acting high and mighty about information that might not even be correct, as I don't like Woolie tip toeing through everything. They do not make for great entertainment.

Hopefully, that session was just a misstep.

Also, the thread is safe for the general public. Feel free to post in here. The shenanigans have been relocated.

I hope that switching up their weapons with the rifle and stake driver will help them play more aggressively since they won't rely on the amazing but boring axe spin to win.

For the most part. Now it's just super on topic shenanigans. Like liam's unnatural, fervent hatred of america. Which really raises the question of why matt keeps him around.

For the most part. Now it's just super on topic shenanigans. Like liam's unnatural, fervent hatred of america. Which really raises the question of why matt keeps him around.
This is very important. I mean, he forgets the cookies nearly every fucking week, to think he's was ever Employee of the Month.

This is very important. I mean, he forgets the cookies nearly every fucking week, to think he's was ever Employee of the Month.
Man, if he keeps this terrible work ethic up like this, they may just have to take the title 'rising superstar' from him and have him be the 'rising creepy anime enthusiast'. Or maybe 'rising john cena impersonator/fanboy'

But health in these games is about the magic pixel, not taking hits over time. You want as much health as possible because from 100% to 1% is a better deal than 100% to 0%. Endurance-wise, Pat's gonna be using either the Holy Sword or the Stake Driver, it looked like. Besides, you want more stamina for rolls. If they were trying to minmax you'd probably be right, but this is an LP utility build for guys who are trying to talk over the game, so they need as much error room as they can get. The damage increase is absolutely negligible anyway. It's nowhere near worth it.

Again: the damage is way better than it looks "on paper" because the stat sheet is hilariously useless. If you bump up to 50/50 Strength/Skill Ludwig's Holy Blade in transformed mode will one-shot most of the regular enemies in the game, including a lot of the stuff in Chalice Dungeons. Patsworth is swinging like 5-6 times on enemies I can one-shot with any weapon in my arsenal.

Every melee weapon in this game has good scaling when upgraded. There's no Dark Souls style "non-scaling" weapons. Points in Strength/Skill (up to cap) literally cannot be wasteful in this game.

Honestly, 30 Vitality is already way more than you need for anything except maybe Ebrietas. The only reason to ever go above that is Cursed Chalice Dungeons. They need to upgrade their damage so they can actually stagger enemies and blow through them in a single combo. That's the "commentator" build for this game; heavy offense actually lets you play super lazy and inattentive because if you take hits you can just turn around and 100% whatever jumped you without ever having it leave stunlock.

You can't get enough defense in this game to be a "tank". There's no armor sets to support it. Patsworth as you seem him now is taking hits about as well as he's ever going to be able, barring a few runes. Adding more Health just increases the healing he gets back by vials.

Zenfalcia

Thanks guys. I will definitely check out their archives.

Do you know if they are active on GAF? Just wondered if I may have interacted with them in the past without knowing it.
Welcome and also check out their podcasts they are fun to listen, some more so than others.

Well, having new people is nice. So try to stay.

About the Pat thing, i think he's being himself and is this based on purely the videos or podcasts as well?
well.. this was something... What a mysterious jogo.

Alfebit

Banned
Revelaitons 2 part 21

Man Pat's TV really must be dark as fuck if he didn't see the boss laying on the ground right in front of him.

Edit: YEEAAAAAHHHH!! Pat bringing up those Beyblade tournaments was fucking great. Those are some of the most bizarrely depressing things I've ever seen.

Agreed. This thread is the best its ever been \o/

You're right. I love a thread full of people complaining about how they're doing in a blind LP. I'll just stay out of here until the LP is over.

Anung

Un Rama
Revelaitons 2 part 21

Man Pat's TV really must be dark as fuck if he didn't see the boss laying on the ground right in front of him.

You're right. I love a thread full of people complaining about how they're doing in a blind LP. I'll just stay out of here until the LP is over.

As opposed to constant lewd anime jailbait with next to no chat about the actual LPs?

EDIT: I don't get it. Are we only allowed to say nice things and not criticize them? Most of the people here aren't even complaining about the LP itself but how the zaibatsu are basically souring it. Which I think is a valid criticism.

Alfebit

Banned
As opposed to constant lewd anime jailbait with next to no chat about the actual LPs?

EDIT: I don't get it. Are we only allowed to say nice things and not criticize them? Most of the people here aren't even complaining about the LP itself but how the zaibatsu are basically souring it. Which I think is a valid criticism.

Sure, now after whatever Pat did. Before it was a constant stream of "they're missing things, why are they missing things". Either way, I'd rather not complain about this anymore because I'm tired of seeing it as well.

Anung

Un Rama
Sure, now after whatever Pat did. Before it was a constant stream of "they're missing things, why are they missing things". Either way, I'd rather not complain about this anymore because I'm tired of seeing it as well.

I thought that was more on the youtube side? most people in here were like "its blind, they won't find everything"

Alfebit

Banned
I thought that was more on the youtube side? most people in here were like "its blind, they won't find everything"

I've seen a lot of both and while I'm tired of seeing the blah blah why they miss stuff posts I'm also tired of seeing the shut up it's a blind LP posts. It just goes in circles. Like I said, I'll just wait it out.

7336.png

NeoGiff

Well, having new people is nice. So try to stay.

About the Pat thing, i think he's being himself and is this based on purely the videos or podcasts as well?

My comment was based solely on the Bloodborne LP. I listened to a few of the podcasts back when they began, but they're just not my thing - I prefer watching.

It's properly calibrated tho.

I can't even imagine playing games as dark as they tell you to calibrate to. As in, with the whole, "Adjust the brightness until you can only see one of these two things" deal. I always leave the second thing pretty clearly visible, and the games still end up darker than I want.

I think this needs to be said:

Pat and Woolie record themselves, edit footage, and cut & upload it in batches.

Since this required additional time to do, any comments yelling at what they missed or what they SHOULD be doing are all dumb as shit. They are enjoying the game at the pace they wish to make videos at.

It's like watching a tape recording of a live sports game, then yelling at the screen for shit to happen, despite having prior knowledge of how the game went.

I know they're dated recordings now because the Grumps are also doing BB, except they just uploaded a batch of videos post loading screen patch. Isn't that fairly recent?

Anyway, I don't mind the double blind format for a new game, but the fans that have played the game really needs to stop writing comments about things they should or should not have done. It's really fucking annoying to read.

Having said that, It's irrelevant if Pat's playing ahead and is giving the impression he's going to sandbag Woolie.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man. I would have flown into a murderous rage if someone had done to my TV what Liam did to Pat's in Scrublords.

Just thinking about it pisses me off.

Anung

Un Rama
The extremes of emotion raging inside me
Wow
Am I reading youtube comments?

Youtube comment or not its a valid way to judge the playthrough in its current state. Like someone said (Dok Evil?) hopefully its only just this recording session that's like this. That's legitimately what I hope anyway.

Anung

Un Rama
I think this needs to be said:

Pat and Woolie record themselves, edit footage, and cut & upload it in batches.

Since this required additional time to do, any comments yelling at what they missed or what they SHOULD be doing are all dumb as shit. They are enjoying the game at the pace they wish to make videos at.

It's like watching a tape recording of a live sports game, then yelling at the screen for shit to happen, despite having prior knowledge of how the game went.

I know they're dated recordings now because the Grumps are also doing BB, except they just uploaded a batch of videos post loading screen patch. Isn't that fairly recent?

Anyway, I don't mind the double blind format for a new game, but the fans that have played the game really needs to stop writing comments about things they should or should not have done. It's really fucking annoying to read.

Having said that, It's irrelevant if Pat's playing ahead and is giving the impression he's going to sandbag Woolie.

I'm somewhere in the middle. It's recorded weeks in advance so complaining about them missing things is stupid. Plus it's a double blind LP so they will no doubt make mistakes and miss obvious things. But thats okay because seeing them play Bloodborne in its rawest form is entertaining. On the other hand I think if people have grievances with the quality of the LP itself (like Pat playing ahead) then its fair enough to air that in my books. Because hopefully overtime enough people will moan/complain enough that they can try fix it in the future so we don't get landed with a lame LP.

Its a double edged sword thats for sure. I think passionate constructive criticism should be welcomed because we are fans and want this playthrough (one a lot of us were hyped about) to be special. Obviously shit talking from idiots can go away.

Best Friends are serious business.

I think it's stupid to complain about Pat playing ahead because what did you expect from our compulsive ginger? No way the guy was going to be ok with just playing the LP.

I just want Woolie to get out of his DS mindset and move forward, as others have said.

the seriousest business

Youtube comment or not its a valid way to judge the playthrough in its current state. Like someone said (Dok Evil?) hopefully its only just this recording session that's like this. That's legitimately what I hope anyway.
So right now we have either Woolie who walks 3 paces per hour and plays like its DS2
Woolie's playing the same or slightly better than DS2. We have 80+ parts of that same thing.
or Fraud Pat who is basically cheating by getting advice from others and playing ahead of the LP.
I don't know what to say about this even. I guess if it really bothers you it's fine?
Way to suck the fun out of this play though guys.
This just feels like the definition of exaggeration.

Anung

Un Rama
Woolie's playing the same or slightly better than DS2. We have 80+ parts of that same thing.

I don't know what to say about this even. I guess if it really bothers you it's fine?

This just feels like the definition of exaggeration.

This isn't Dark Souls 2. He shouldn't play it like it is. I don't even know how anyone can defend him walking around like its a telltale game.

Him playing ahead ruins the element of surprise for them and he's acting like an asshole to Woolie which isn't pleasant.

If I'm exaggerating how come people are saying similar things?

I haven't been watching Bloodborne because spoilers. But eh. People will complain more because it's a Souls (like) game. Though Dark 2 sucked because fanfiction.

I think it's stupid to complain about Pat playing ahead because what did you expect from our compulsive ginger? No way the guy was going to be ok with just playing the LP.

I just want Woolie to get out of his DS mindset and move forward, as others have said.

the seriousest business

That's fine and dandy, but then he don't need to sandbag Woolie for being more naturally cautious.

Or condescend to him about a XP system he claims to know about.

I hope that episode was the exception, not the norm. Seeing Pat eat shit in the end made the video.

This isn't Dark Souls 2. He shouldn't play it like it is. I don't even know how anyone can defend him walking around like its a telltale game.

Him playing ahead ruins the element of surprise for them and he's acting like an asshole to Woolie which isn't pleasant.

If I'm exaggerating how come people are saying similar things?
I just don't see how people didn't temper their expectations. DS2 was bad enough I couldn't watch it sometimes, but this has at least been slightly better.

I don't think it overstepped anything, I think Woolie getting weirdly upset at Pat for it was more annoying to me. I also totally agree with him on stats.

I'm weirded out any of this mattered to anyone this much, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, you seem to be genuinely trying to be constructive in these last few posts, so that's cool.

Zone of the Enders 2 is so awesome. It's on PSN for exactly ten dollars. Do what Liam says and go get it because it's amazing. Also a shit ton of SMT games like Nocturne and both Raidou Kuzunoha games, both DDS games, Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Ten dollars each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom