• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. I will definitely check out their archives.

Do you know if they are active on GAF? Just wondered if I may have interacted with them in the past without knowing it.

SnapshotKing.

It's pretty obvious who that is.

Matt is perm'd as CriminalUpper.

Liam and Woolie, to our knowledge, lurk, which I believe to be a lie.

I suspect the username CastorTroy to be one of them.

All roads lead to Liam

Liam is love. Liam is life.

Anung

Un Rama
Episode 24 of Bloodborne was so good (apart from slow woolie) and the Gasquank saga is finally over \o/ Ended with a whimper instead of a bang but I can finally watch without losing my mind.

Geg

Meh. If they didn't like SMRPG, they won't like Paper Mario. It's simple as well. Cute and charming.

I think I remember Liam specifically saying he liked Paper Mario, but maybe I'm confused.

Also I don't buy that they didn't like SMRPG, there were so many moments in that LP where they were just like YOOOOO THAT'S SO COOL

Pat may feel that it's overrated by a lot of people but that doesn't mean he disliked it.

28ef93fe68.png

Didn't take long. Note: this is 5 hours after his "goddamn FFXIV is so good" tweet

Like I said, anyone that expected him to stick with it is a fool.

The fact someone can play an MMO and not expect to play with others is stupid.

Okingjrr

Best Friends Play Bloodborne (Part 25)
Website
Youtube

Chewie and Fuckface return for the last episode of the week. Will Chewie finally get good? Will Fuckface finally get to play in this recording session?
Find out in episode 25 of The Adventures of Chewie and Fuckface in Yharnam Land.

Website
Youtube

Chewie and Fuckface return for the last episode of the week. Will Chewie finally get good? Will Fuckface finally get to play in this recording session?
Find out in episode 25 of The Adventures of Chewie and Fuckface in Yharnam Land.
I'm not even watching this LP and just reading the FB description, I knew where they were and what happens. I was right.

aly

Website
Youtube

A lot of tension in these last two episodes. A part of me is glad that Pat went ahead a little since it let them catch some extra things, but at the same time I agree that it is so much better with both of them at the same place. Either way that ending was worth it.

MrHoot

Goddamn this episode....

Pat being REALLY annoying about stats. Goddamn, you were already doing for a STR build fucking anyway, just pump these points until the soft cap, you're not going to put them in skill anyway

Don't all the weapons start with D and C scaling? Only to be B and maybe A when you upgrade them?

Yeah most of them, I think very few start with B in certain slots.

Don't all the weapons start with D and C scaling? Only to be B and maybe A when you upgrade them?

I can only think of a few in game that go above B scaling.

This was by far one of the worst episodes of the LP so far. Pat playing ahead where they've been and immediately shutting Woolie down with literally every word he said just because Pat talks to German Spy and knows more about the game than he should. The next few parts will likely be difficult to watch as well because the sessions they recorded this day seems to be full of Pat acting like he knows everything and Woolie getting annoyed by it.

Good lord little progress was made this episode. I feel they should cut out some of that stat/menu section out or just get to the results they chose in the end.

MrHoot

I can only think of a few in game that go above B scaling.

This was by far one of the worst episodes of the LP so far. Pat playing ahead where they've been and immediately shutting Woolie down with literally every word he said just because Pat talks to German Spy and knows more about the game than he should. The next few parts will likely be difficult to watch as well because the sessions they recorded this day seems to be full of Pat acting like he knows everything and Woolie getting annoyed by it.

In a way it's very annoying because both of them are still playing this like it's fucking dark souls really.

Woolie is still being super cautious, although he's being more lax about his spendings so I like that. Honestly having Liam playing with him would've been better.

Pat is basically trying to recycle all his knowledge from DaS2 and applying it as gospel. For fuck sake, even in DaS2 you woul'dn't bother with your HP past 20. Unless yo wanna be a tank. In BB you can go a bit more since damage is less forgiving. That and he's way too dependant on Spy, ENB and Vaati

It's just super annoying, this bickering.

Woolie is still being super cautious, although he's being more lax about his spendings so I like that. Honestly having Liam playing with him would've been better.

Liam would have been awful because he runs through games and goes back afterwards to find what he missed.

These two are fine but recent parts have just been awful because of the amount of dick waving going on.

aly

Liam would have been awful because he runs through games and goes back afterwards to find what he missed.

These two are fine but recent parts have just been awful because of the amount of dick waving going on.

Yeah, watching them argue gives me that weird feeling. I guess its second hand embarrassment since you feel like your listening in on something private. I feel bad for Woolie cause I know that feeling when you're arguing with someone and just want it to be over.

Skrams

Meh. If they didn't like SMRPG, they won't like Paper Mario. It's simple as well. Cute and charming.
Except Pat and Liam both love the Paper Mario games. They've said before that this playthrough was born out of neither of the m having played SMRPG, but loving Paper Mario and the M&L series. Battle system, gear, and everything else I can't think of is just more involving in Paper Mario. It's not really surprising at all that they like the games more.
Anyway, that's all I had to say...just that I'm pleased to have happened upon them.
That is quite a strange path for finding them, but glad you did. The podcast also exists if you want to get into that.

You would hope they change which person is Chewie and which person is fuckface each time they're mentioned. Just to fuck it up more.

Bloodborne Part 25- The part where Pat has stopped at 3 separate points. There's no stopping him from being an asshole who plays ahead of the LP at this point, but hopefully he hasn't.

I get where Woolie is coming from, but strength just isn't that tangible compared to health or endurance. There's little point in bumping it up in preparation for weapons at this point either.

Also not surprised he spotted the trap. I can't remember if I read a note or not, but I feel like I remember spotting it without it. The games have conditioned me for it over the years.

And then Pat ate shit and kept fucking that dog. Will he ever stop?

aly

I get where Woolie is coming from, but strength just isn't that tangible compared to health or endurance. There's little point in bumping it up in preparation for weapons at this point either.

I actually agree with Woolie since killing enemies faster seems like a much better idea than trying to tank extra damage, especially with how much damage enemies do in this game..I've noticed on several enemies they would have a sliver of health left that a little more strength can fix. Besides dodging and not taking damage at all is much better than relying on extra health.

Anung

Un Rama
So right now we have either Woolie who walks 3 paces per hour and plays like its DS2 or Fraud Pat who is basically cheating by getting advice from others and playing ahead of the LP.

Way to suck the fun out of this play though guys.

Okingjrr

That's a quality ass ending.
You would hope they change which person is Chewie and which person is fuckface each time they're mentioned. Just to fuck it up more.
No one ever wants to be Fuckface. One of them will just say "Welcome to Chewie N' Fuckface in the morning. I'm Chewie and he's Fuckface" and no one answers, it's hilarious.

Skrams

I actually agree with Woolie since killing enemies faster seems like a much better idea than trying to tank extra damage, especially with how much damage enemies do in this game..I've noticed on several enemies they would have a sliver of health left that a little more strength can fix. Besides dodging and not taking damage at all is much better than relying on extra health.

I think they're all viable, but I always lean towards End or Vit in the end. I personally don't feel like the argument really needed to exist when I think putting a point or two into a thing doesn't matter all that much. At some point you have a +9 weapon at the least and then you can do whatever you want. That's the most important thing to mess with damage wise and everything else is pretty superfluous until you dump a whole lot into them. At points I just stopped caring about levels because I didn't need it. To fight over a few points in Strength or Vit or End doesn't really matter right now. They should be fine with any path they go. It'd only be truly useless if they threw it at Arcane or a stat they didn't actually use.

I also get why people complain about today's episode with the pacing, but I don't really care enough to be annoyed myself. It's 30 minutes and happens every weekday. The story will continue anew on Monday. Pat's shit about playing ahead though? Man, fuck Pat.

Xux

I agree that Pat's kinda souring the Bloodborne LP. I wish I could get into the Revelations LP 'cause I'm running out of stuff of theirs I'm really interested in.

Don't put too much faith in the letters. There's a lot of variance within a single letter grade in Bloodborne, and even then the letters only tell about half the story. (A good example is the Cannon, which you would assume doesn't scale very well with Bloodtinge since the letter grade is awful, but because the way scaling interfaces with base damage it actually gains more damage from a point of Bloodtinge than any other weapon, even the S-rank ones like Chikage.)

The weapons with the highest letter grade scaling are the Threaded Cane, Blades of Mercy, Chikage (transformed), Reiterpallasch, and Logarius's Wheel. Numerically, though, they're all extremely similar once you take base damage into account; Burial Blade, Ludwig's Holy Blade, and Chikage become the only real stand-outs, and that's because they all have drawbacks in some shape or form to make up for their damage scaling (inability to use buffs on the weapon, huge stamina costs/low swing speeds, constant health drain, etc.).

Like, if you want to know how hilariously useless the letter grading method has become, just look at the Burial Blade. On paper, it has E scaling from Strength and D scaling from Arcane. Now, equip it and go to level up, and see how much damage you get from putting a point in Strength vs. a point in Arcane.

We're honestly at the point where the letter system probably needs to be jettisoned based on how completely badly it represents what's actually happening under the hood. Bloodborne's the point where it went from "vaguely useful but deceptive rule-of-thumb" to "outright lies".

NeoGiff

I'm a big Best Friends fan, but I never post here due to all the anime talk which I find a little intimidating (since I'm not into it, at all).

But I feel like I need to add my two cents on something.

I've been watching the Bloodborne LP and enjoying it for the most part (minus the godawful pace of Woolie the Lying Pie-Stealing Snail with 20/20 vision). I've also been able to accept Pat's wildly off-base speculation which he constantly insists on as being fact. All things considered, it's an entertaining LP of a game I love.

However, the latest episode really soured me on Pat due to his treatment of Woolie. I know it's been a long-running joke among the fanbase that Pat is an asshole, and it has led to endless entertainment over the years, but Pat really showed something quite unpleasant in this video. He was consistently arrogant, rude, condescending, and downright mean-spirited. It was extremely uncomfortable to listen to, and I'm now convinced that all jokes aside, he's just not a nice person. There's a difference between playful, insulting banter, and downright maliciousness.

Woolie took it surprisingly well, and it's commendable that he did - he's clearly a lot more mature.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether or not I'll slither away from this thread again. Should I stay?

TL;DR - I was let down by Pat's vicious, childish attitude in the latest Bloodborne video, and it has made me question my whole perception of him.

I'm a big Best Friends fan, but I never post here due to all the anime talk which I find a little intimidating (since I'm not into it, at all).

I've been watching the Bloodborne LP and enjoying it for the most part (minus Woolie the Lying Pie-Stealing Snail with 20/20 vision). I've also been able to accept Pat's wildly off-base speculation which he constantly insists on as being fact. All things considered, it's an entertaining LP of a game I love.

However, the latest episode really soured me on Pat due to his treatment of Woolie. I know it's been a long-running joke among the fanbase that Pat is an asshole, and it has led to endless entertainment over the years, but Pat really showed something quite unpleasant in this video. He was consistently arrogant, rude, condescending, and downright mean-spirited. It was extremely uncomfortable to listen to, and I'm now convinced that all jokes aside, he's just not a nice person. There's a difference between playful, insulting banter, and downright maliciousness.

Woolie took it surprisingly well, and it's commendable that he did - he's clearly a lot more mature.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether or not I'll slither away from this thread again. Should I stay?
I'm sure someone here has the Mr. Burns "You're Here Forever" image handy, but the general sentiment is that.

Stick around some.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

I've been watching the Bloodborne LP and enjoying it for the most part (minus the godawful pace of Woolie the Lying Pie-Stealing Snail with 20/20 vision). I've also been able to accept Pat's wildly off-base speculation which he constantly insists on as being fact. All things considered, it's an entertaining LP of a game I love.

TL;DR - I was let down by Pat's vicious, childish attitude in the latest Bloodborne video, and it has made me question my whole perception of him.
Stay.

And every Zaibatsu member will say something that will offend you but dont get let it get to you. Its nothing personal. Like how Liam hates America,

NeoGiff

I'm sure someone here has the Mr. Burns "You're Here Forever" image handy, but the general sentiment is that.

Stick around some.

Thanks!

Stay.

And every Zaibatsu member will say something that will offend you but dont get let it get to you. Its nothing personal. Like how Liam hates America,

That one doesn't bother me since I'm Irish. But since I'm on the subject, what does bother me is Pat's 100% serious insistence that Yharnam is based on Ireland (what the fuck?!), and that thick Cockney accents are "great" Irish accents. Goddammit Pat.

MrHoot

They know each other waaaay longer that we've known them through the lens of their channel. And hearing the podcasts and such, it's not the first time Pat butted head with someone for stupid stuff, and it prooooobably won't be the last.

With that said, it makes for a very poor LP when it actually happens on video. It felt very awkward, like the worst side of a Souls fan

And Portugal, don't forget

Skrams

We had to clean up our act to stay around so now the thread is 98% on topic of the videos, podcast, their twitter, and whatever other garbage is actually related to things they referenced recently.

So stay if you want to because best friends.

I understand the feeling you got today. I think some of us have hit that point over the course of this. I've gotten used to Pat being an asshole at times, but I don't know if I really accept it. His demeanor can be tiring at times. He walks the line of playful jabbing constantly and can easily tiptoe into the too serious area.

I'm sitting at the same point Woolie does where I congratulate Woolie on patting the Pat on the head and moving on. Woolie had a point in his strength level shenanigans, but Pat feeling the need to fight it that hard over a little level was silly to me. I might be blowing the argument up in my head, but I'll relisten to it later to see if it was actually that bad.

I also don't think he's serious about the Irish thing. If there was a line somewhere that made it sound like he was serious then I don't know. I just assumed he was joking since he knows nothing about anything across the Atlantic.

Squishy3

The mods cracked down on us and most of that talk has moved to other avenues, so we're generally a lot more on topic now, but naturally, the thread slowed down a large amount because of it as well.

Those days are
thankfully
over.

I'm a little worried about watching the LP myself. DS2 felt like a chore after awhile. Doesn't sound good that Woolie still plays so slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom