• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The protagonist's special trait is that he's an otaku who is a member of the JSDF. That's literally it.

Provided that it stays that way, I might give it a shot once there's a decent amount already out there. I like to shotgun Pat-style while I can, and it gives me the advantage of letting other people run into the minefield of modern anime ahead of me.

When are they going to make more JoJo?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So finally got my USB HDD working on my WiiU so i finally got around to downloading the remaining nindie humble bumble games since I donated to it, Im playing the fall, 5 mins in and I already forgotten how to progress pass this first area same as Liam and Woolie, time to use the LP as a guide!

foxuzamaki

That's fair. Snailborne gif exists for a reason.

I mean i can just spoil it all and say everything for you to judge. Just wait and see. Dat end of the second episode tho.

Woolie only watched these animes due to reccomendations and watching with friends and mike. They'll never be super back in, they don't have the time and people can't handle Liam's controversial anime tastes.

Ofc Liam would be in the monster girls hole, who the hell do you think he is!?!? Please be excited for no one caring about Gakmou gurashi/school live.

Ive been in the monster musume hype awaiting the enemy since I got done with berserk like last year.

Skrams

Pat's being super Pat in the beginning of this Rocket League episode. I can't tell if he's tired, drunk, being assholer than usual, or just Pat. I don't know if I'm one of the few who get this feeling even. It just seems like he's disinterested, being overly standoffish, and would rather not be playing. Once Liam took over he shifted over to his more rambling disinterested self. Also the game is made by Americans.

Also Plague's youtube comment, "It looks like it's really fun to control the car but kind of miserable to try to control the ball. They should make the car be able to pick up the ball, and have the objective be to throw the ball into a hoop. You know, like a good game."

If I watched Plague's LP I might get him more, but the more I see him talking about games the more I bleh.

I'm also surprised that this video is 60 FPS since I don't think that's a thing they've done before? I wonder if this will become the standard now.
The thing with the war, is I find it interesting in the back to the future kinda way. These medievel people freaking out over modern technology. I love that fish out of water scenario. Plus, the fact that the fantasy dudes are the complete agressors in this makes their deaths okay to me. The fact they stomp over the defense forces' warning signs to go get butchered really sells that. Plus I love how the king is actually kinda smart, and apparently completely unflappable.
That said, I think I might quit this any episode now for the waifu shit myself.
It's just aggression without a cause to me. I guess they might have too much hubris since they've been all powerful in their own land, but eh. I don't think stomping over warning signs means much when I would think they would have different written languages. They've not really made it clear though since the guy has a translation book somehow later on, so who the fuck knows how it works. King seemed like he was being a shit to me. "Oh, I wanted to lose anyway because they might of revolted against me anyway so whatevs."

And yeah, I'm waiting for a Woolie outburst or depressive sigh sort of similar to his annoyance with the second half of Aldnoah Zero.
I feel like Liam doesn't want the anime pedastal he used to be on since people hated him for not watching stuff, so he probably won't ever bring it up. I am tempted to try to get Pat to watch it for good reasons.

The war is quite flaccid, but it is to be expected. Guns vs swords, how does swords even win on a big battlefield?!?!? Spoilers for your otaku point,
the otaku never ends. There's still more incoming.

I feel like woolie will drop it well before it gets to where i know he will definitely drop it.
Thing is people expressed their want for Liam to talk about anime again on the reddit. He responded with "I'll think about maybe talking a bit about it next episode. This season's off to a fun start, so I'll probably do it. Thanks for everyone's kind words, it really makes me feel happy."

That was 10 days ago. I think all the people chiming in on the reddit made him feel more comfortable about wanting to talk about it again. Hopefully he does in the future since I enjoy hearing what he has to say.

It's also to be expected because it's obvious, but without much reason from either side for the violence I find little reason to care. I can only expect the otaku to ramp up really.
When are they going to make more JoJo?

Expect it more than a year from now. We'll probably see if it exists when the final episodes of Egypt get released on bluray since they might add a Part 4 teaser to the end. So expect September for even the news of it maybe existing I guess.

Nordicus

If I watched Plague's LP I might get him more, but the more I see him talking about games the more I bleh.
The comment he made about Witcher, "I never hear anyone talk about the character or the plot, so I really get the impression no one really cares about the games, just the idea of them." rubbed me the wrong way so hard.

Yes, because I don't care about the actual games is the reason I played Witcher 2 through 4 times.

Playing D4 and Killer is Dead, it's amazing that there's someone out there who manages to make a less sensible plot than Platinum games. Like goddamn KiD makes no fucking sense in any way.

Skrams

Playing D4 and Killer is Dead, it's amazing that there's someone out there who manages to make a less sensible plot than Platinum games. Like goddamn KiD makes no fucking sense in any way.

Practically every Suda51 game is less sensible on the surface than any Platinum story. The only Platinum joint I get that confused over is Bayonetta and Anarchy Reigns sort of. They usually make okay sense most of the time while Suda is insanity that takes years of research. His whole weird connected universe between a lot of his games is also really nuts.

Swery is just going to Swery.

Man, I want a Killer 7 LP now. It's so weird.

Anung

Un Rama
Pat's being super Pat in the beginning of this Rocket League episode. I can't tell if he's tired, drunk, being assholer than usual, or just Pat. I don't know if I'm one of the few who get this feeling even. It just seems like he's disinterested, being overly standoffish, and would rather not be playing. Once Liam took over he shifted over to his more rambling disinterested self. Also the game is made by Americans.

Also Plague's youtube comment, "It looks like it's really fun to control the car but kind of miserable to try to control the ball. They should make the car be able to pick up the ball, and have the objective be to throw the ball into a hoop. You know, like a good game."

I like Plagues DS run but he has some totally baffling opinions on games that I can't behind at all.

And yeah, I know they feel they need to do videos like this because zeitgeist but they shouldn't bother if they don't actually give a fuck about the game. It just makes them look like dicks and subjects us to a video where you can tell they'd rather not be there. Either get a match-up that is interested or don't bother.

Plus they play against the AI for the entire video? jeeeez.

Draxyle

Neo Member

I got Killer is Dead on steam because of the Best Friends, and yea, that game is just.. what? Either it got a 100% direct translation or everyone is actually speaking in poetry the entire time. Still pretty darn fun to play, but the game's tone is a bit too much of a whiplash at times.

D4 is fairly grounded in comparison. There's one twist that still doesn't make any sense to me, but otherwise it's internally consistent.

Plague's a creepy dude who lives on a farm and draws LoL midgets looking all sexy on the internet for money. He's a completely awesome dude, but should not be considered an authority on video game design (or general video game knowledge, for that matter).

Part of what makes him enjoyable is he has, well, let's call it "an extreme outsider's perspective" on the topic, so you get opinions and ideas from him that you probably wouldn't see much of anywhere else. (Sometimes for very good reason.)

I'm also surprised that this video is 60 FPS since I don't think that's a thing they've done before? I wonder if this will become the standard now.
First rule of Plague: Opinions. Second rule: Jokes.

They've done 60fps for a lot of FNFs.

I've been playing Suda games for a while, and I think found an outline to describe how he approaches designing a plot.
He begins by making a completely outlandish setting, that seems like complete nonsense. Then, he slowly, slowly adds details that start to make everything make sense... until the climax, where everything suddenly makes sense, or enough that you mostly get it at least!
Then the epilogue goes 'Ha, it really was complete nonsense the whole time, got cha!'
.... or was it?
He is some kind of genius, imo. Maybe not the best kind, but... eh.

Skrams

Best Friends Play Driveclub

Site Link

Youtube Link

Weird, maybe I'm just forgetful, but I also don't remember them ever having much 1080p content either considering this Driveclub video is 1080p. Either I'm dumb or they got some new magic going on.
First rule of Plague: Opinions. Second rule: Jokes.

They've done 60fps for a lot of FNFs.

First: Uh, okay. Obviously?

Second: I don't get much of a joke out it besides saying lol, soccer is a bad game, basketball's cooler. I mostly just thought it was silly considering the amount of finesse Rocket League allows you to have and then it's better to strip that all away for just a game of tag with a ball. Seemed pretty drive by or not thought out to me, but I guess that's just what happens with youtube comments.

Or I guess it's just nothing and he doesn't actually think it would be better as a basketball game. If that's all that is then whatever, I guess.

Do you also remember any of the FNFs that were 60 FPS? I don't seem to remember any and quickly checking a recent few like Yatagarasu didn't turn any up. Unless they were 60fps site only or something.

Welcome to just about every Suda 51 game that has something resembling his "Kill the Past" motif. It's about as obtuse in its delivery as something like Killer 7 or Flower, Sun, and Rain. Though unfortunately there isn't as much substance to what's actually going on compared to K7.

Still stylish as fuck though.

Zenfalcia

Ive been in the monster musume hype awaiting the enemy since I got done with berserk like last year.
Nice. Please be excite for Liam's top anime of the year list consisting of one anime.
And yeah, I'm waiting for a Woolie outburst or depressive sigh sort of similar to his annoyance with the second half of Aldnoah Zero.

Thing is people expressed their want for Liam to talk about anime again on the reddit. He responded with "I'll think about maybe talking a bit about it next episode. This season's off to a fun start, so I'll probably do it. Thanks for everyone's kind words, it really makes me feel happy."

That was 10 days ago. I think all the people chiming in on the reddit made him feel more comfortable about wanting to talk about it again. Hopefully he does in the future since I enjoy hearing what he has to say.

It's also to be expected because it's obvious, but without much reason from either side for the violence I find little reason to care. I can only expect the otaku to ramp up really.
It was heavily telegraphed. It was the most obvious twist. Did he even finish Aldnoah.Zero S2? I don't think he did.

There is quite a few good animes this seasons, so it's good to hear Liam might talk about them again.

It is fairly obvious with the main character being an otaku and all. There's other things to care about in my opinion. Besides the Fantasy vs Modern weapons woolie has been gushing about there's some interesting things such as the interactions with two different worlds.
Watch it, it was the show Liam talked about way long ago that made woolie salty.
It did? I don't remember woolie being salty.
Super sad to get 30 mins of Pats terrible driving with not one "Super-kawaii Drift" to be seen...
The kawaii isn't on the screen. It's in your kokoro.

I interpreted Killer is Dead as being a mash-up of Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop.

I approved.
As did I.

That playthrough Matt and Pat did for the game is always fun to rewatch just because of their reactions, plus some of their weird tangents like the Anchorman/Aliens crossover that I want more than ever.

Not enough pretty girl transformation for me.
Who needs magical girl transformations when you're fucking Tuxedo Mask
without the mask

Got around to starting the Astro Boy LP, game seems pretty rad. I'm guessing it was a tie in with the 2003 series, which I remember being a decent show.

So, does that guy mean Blanka is out? Because I don't know how you could have Blanka in when you've got a guy who actually looks brutal and wild like Blanka was supposed to before he became a running gag.

explodet

So, does that guy mean Blanka is out? Because I don't know how you could have Blanka in when you've got a guy who actually looks brutal and wild like Blanka was supposed to before he became a running gag.
If they're going with "SFV as a service", if Blanka misses launch (which I think he will) they'll get him in eventually.

If they're going with "SFV as a service", if Blanka misses launch (which I think he will) they'll get him in eventually.

Oh sure, I figure if it's sufficiently successful (and I think with the business model, it probably will be) they'll eventually get almost everyone in there. I'm guessing Blanka's out of the initial sixteen, though.

Hopefully the new guy has a Rage skin/colors.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
That it was. The podcast will be quite interesting. Hopefully it'll be an absurd length too.
4 hour podcast #believe.

MWMFGvW.jpg

foxuzamaki

I've not been watching EVO because I don't give a shit about fighting games that aren't VF or DOA, so I'll be interested to hear the Zaibatsu's summary of the events on the podcast.

You just made the best decision you will ever make in your entire life

Its like 12 GB so I probably wont even get to play it before going to bed for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom