• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenfalcia

So I'm catching up to the thread and saw the sexism discussion.

Guys... Please take that stuff to another thread.

B-b-but this is EverythingGAF. Where we talk about everything ft sometimes best friends aka SBF.

You will also probably notice we have a racism discussion too...

It's 11pm and I hope I don't lose control of it again.

What if you do?

UPDATE: Finally done editing the last audio I'll do for now. PLEASE BE EXCITE.

demidar

If I actually prepare for it, I might get something out of it. By writing down all the flaws in my writing, getting a decent story layout and applying it all to what I write. I might get something good out of it.

I think the point of it is to write out all your flaws, so preparing for it seems like missing the point. But if you want to do it then more power to you.

360pages

I think the point of it is to write out all your flaws, so preparing for it seems like missing the point. But if you want to do it then more power to you.

True, but I really want to take this seriously. I've been writing for three years. And looking back at my earlier work, to now makes me happy to see how much I've improved. But I only improved that much because people reviewed my work and pointed out flaws in it.

I've sent it to all those who are interested.

(That feeling you get when you realized you just sent something to someone, that can tear it apart along with your pride,)
It sucks.
I'll read it by the weekend and get back to you.
UPDATE: Finally done editing the last audio I'll do for now. PLEASE BE EXCITE.
The hype is real. I'm not sleeping till it's up 0_0
The persona games never had great models anyway. I like their artwork for the character portraits much better.
I don't think that will look great either, but eh. Maybe. You're right though. The character art beats the hell out of the sprites/models.

It's the worst, the more work you put into it, the more your heart gets crushed. That's why I'm always gentle with my reviews. I can't imagine what it much feel like to have a complete stranger say X is shit.

I try to be gentle, but I feel that being completely honest then apologizing if I feel I was a bit of a dick is the best way to do it.

I'll be fair in my review, but if I have negative thoughts, sugar coating it won't help anyone.

I hope I don't run into any problems.. Um.. What did you do for the Video? Use a video editing program and import the song and video?
Yup. Just downloaded Snake Eater's Opening in HD and synced it up. You could just use a still frame/picture since it's a stopgap version anyway.

(Also I'm lying and will totally pass out soonish.)

360pages

You guys should play the EO series if you are really strung on RPGs. Though for those who have played it realize how much of a brick wall the early game is and pretty much every time you reach a new area you're going to have to prepare yourself.

EO4 is the easiest and most traditional RPG in the series, there is an actual world map. Mini dungeons as well as main dungeons and the game is over all easier then the rest in the series.,

Zenfalcia

Yup. Just downloaded Snake Eater's Opening in HD and synced it up. You could just use a still frame/picture since it's a stopgap version anyway.

(Also I'm lying and will totally pass out soonish.)

Sure. Don't worry. I'll make sure to send you a link for when you wake up.

Man I really have no idea how I feel at all about that statement. Like wow.

iu
Me neither

360pages

I try to be gentle, but I feel that being completely honest then apologizing if I feel I was a bit of a dick is the best way to do it.

I'll be fair in my review, but if I have negative thoughts, sugar coating it won't help anyone.

I always try to give a good point and a bad point. Rarely is something so bad that there is nothing good in it, even if it's the settings or ideas.

I then go into detail about what they can change or how they can change it. Rarely do I say something is flat out awful, and I think that actually works out for me.

At most I got a person somewhat irritated at me and another out right blocked me because my wording was a little off. (I think it was because I used resort rather then use and they thought I was making them sound like their writing was desperate which is a shame since what they were writing was actually pretty good compared to the other stuff on there,)

Me neither

That mind fucked me pretty hard ._.

I don't think that will look great either, but eh. Maybe. You're right though. The character art beats the hell out of the sprites/models.

Probably not, but it'll hold up a hell of a lot better than the models.

If that's the case then it's done a pretty good job upscaling to 1080i.

That being said, it probably looks a lot worse on a 55 inch TV than a 22 inch.

Zenfalcia

I almost finished rendering out the video! Hopefully the upload is fast. I hope you guys like it..
I'll cry and commit sudoku if you guys don't.

Where do you stand on this Chaobreaker...where?

Despite the Homo Erectus explanations it's obvious that everyone and their mother can see that the cockroaches are a really bad stereotype of black people. The moss for hair just sinks it in. I'm bothered that everyone here who was dismissive over Village's opinion.

I think the series is pretty hype despite this though.

Morning GAF! Does it make me a bad person that the first thing I thought of when looking at news on the prison riots in Brazil was the prison break Lp?

360pages

Despite the Homo Erectus explanations it's obvious that everyone and their mother can see that the cockroaches are a really bad stereotype of black people. The moss for hair just sinks it in. I'm bothered that everyone here who was dismissive over Village's opinion.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. He could have tried to explain his point somewhat better, but it's really obvious what they were going for. Even using the idea that they were culturally stilted, a large sum of other anime have had a diverse cast while either poking fun at stereotypes or just flat out ignoring them.

Though those authors seem more aware they have a fanbase outside of japan, even then I found them pretty uncomfortable.

Alfebit

Banned
That being said, it probably looks a lot worse on a 55 inch TV than a 22 inch.

Yeah, someone else will have to test that out.

I almost finished rendering out the video! Hopefully the upload is fast. I hope you guys like it..
I'll cry and commit sudoku if you guys don't.

I already love the half completed version you sent, I'm sure it'll sound even more majestic. Or terrible. One of the 2.

Zenfalcia

I already love the half completed version you sent, I'm sure it'll sound even more majestic. Or terrible. One of the 2.

It's rough at some parts due to some peopl's audio was just terrible and impossible to edit.

I didnt spend 3 days trying to make it sound awful.. ;_;

It's the dimensions of the face that seal the fate of the creature design.

Zenfalcia

This is probably the best one so far, which automatically makes it the worst one.

Don't do this to me.. ;_; I put so much effort to make everyone sound good.. I'll even try to make you sound good in the completed version, aaron.

How many versions of BestGAF sings Snake Eater is there? I thought only MrGoodwill was making it?

Currently three. There's Mrgoodwil's, gummy's and now mine. He was but i asked for the files to make a version where it synced up better and sounded better overall.

jacknicholsonnod.gif

Thanks. :D

360pages

It's the dimensions of the face that seal the fate of the creature design.

I mean, I'm still wondering who looked at that and said, (Yeah, nothing wrong with those monsters, ship them out!) I mean holy crap, there is an editor, did they think no one outside of Japan would watch it?

There was thousands of ways they could have designed them. But instead they made them look like that...

I mean, I'm still wondering who looked at that and said, (Yeah, nothing wrong with those monsters, ship them out!) I mean holy crap, there is an editor, did they think no one outside of Japan would watch it?

There was thousands of ways they could have designed them. But instead they made them look like that...

I don't think the editor had the immediate thought to go through the West's awful portrayal of race throughout it's pop-culture. I don't doubt a Western editor wouldn't pick up on an racist caricature of an Eastern race immediately either. It's not an excuse for the designs, but maybe context. Hell, if cockroaches came in another colour maybe this whole mess would've been avoided.

Don't do this to me.. ;_; I put so much effort to make everyone sound good.. I'll even try to make you sound good in the completed version, aaron.

No, that's exactly my point, it sounds great and you did a good job making it sound good. It's so good that I like it less because of how not angry I am listening to it.

360pages

I don't think the editor had the immediate thought to go through the West's awful portrayal of race throughout it's pop-culture. I don't doubt a Western editor wouldn't pick up on an racist caricature of an Eastern race immediately either. It's not an excuse for the designs, but maybe context. Hell, if cockroaches came in another colour maybe this whole mess would've been avoided.

Yeah, changing their color was could have changed a lot. But nope, went with that for some reason.

Which is super jarring, there was a lot of things they could have done to make it a lot less noticeable.

You know what the worst part about X2 is? I'm halfway through the bosses and I don't remember a single stage theme. It's like, the music is pretty good, but none of it is memorable.

Hey guys you know what's bretty gud anime? Nozaki-kun.

That fucking editor holy shit.

I'm happy everyone has gotten on the Nozaki train. Shit's great.

Yeah, changing their color was could have changed a lot. But nope, went with that for some reason.

Which is super jarring, there was a lot of things they could have done to make it a lot less noticeable.

There's no commonly found cockroach with a lighter colouring. It's the least guilty part of the design in my eyes. It's the face and "hair" that should've been rethought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom