• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

mike0dude

rjn3n1L.jpg
FTFY

You might want to edit that out. Emulation is a touchy subject here. But to answer your question, I'm only a couple hours in but I'm really liking it.

I might start it soon since I have a ludicrous amount of free time. Heh yea..I'm quick on the draw..the fastest panic edit lol

Shackzam

A writing contest we're doing, which is regrettably full if you wanted to join in. Sorry.

But! Since Aaron decided not to be a judge, would you like to do that?

Oh okay. Never mind then. Writing drives me crazy because I hate starting it the exact way I want it to. Also I will have to respectable decline the offer to be judge

What's everyone been playing lately?
I started playing Red Faction Guerrilla this afternoon, finished the Paper Trail missions for inFamous Second Son as well, and I did a couple more runs of arcade mode in After Burner Climax.

And Stepmania. Because I need to keep those note charts for DDR Extreme fresh in my mind whenever I go to the Gameworks.

Xux

Beat Wario Land 4 and got the bad ending; gonna get the good one eventually. Pretty great game; gonna have to check out the older ones again someday.

Beat Operation 5 in The Wonderful 101. The combat's really fun but everything else is pretty inconsistent.

I'm going strong in TLOU: Remastered and started playing Destiny the past two hours. I feel weird for not having a desire to play Smash for the past week or so, but I'm sure it'll come back around when I have less on my plate or I get some local shenanigans.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Okay, recap post and the final solution to our problem:

Jp4zhmd.png

What?
A writing contest between these people (no late entries, but judges are welcome).
zyErWHO.png

They will write a short 2-4 page story based on this prompt: The Life and Times of Baby Ashley: "Four Men and a Baby". Suggestions for writing include focusing just on the "4 men and a baby part" or just a story about Baby Ashley. Based on this bracket, judges will decide the winner of a matchup, and will continue until we have a winner.
Of whom should I be afraid?
The judges: Banana Aeon, 360pages, and GlitchesAreCool. Potentially a 4th if anyone wished to volunteer.
Who?
Baby Ashley is a baby doll that our very own Pat received in the mail, and has since been made canon.
Here is a great video explaining this further.
Baby Ashley
When?
Deadline is Jan 1.
Format?
Double spaced, times new roman, 12pt font.
How do I submit?
Send me the link to your story as a google doc accessible to anyone with the link, which will allow ease of access when judging begins.
My story didn't get picked? Why?!
The judges decisions are final, this is a dumb contest, so calm down.

Does our story have to be dumb? I kinda wanna do a serious story on baby ashley

You can write whatever the fuck kind of style or genre you want, but Baby Ashley has to be in it somehow.

*cough*
I actually enjoyed DmC.
I don't hate the game as much as everyone else here does, basically sharing the same opinion on it as Dahbomb does and that dude fucking lives and breathes DMC with every fiber of his being. But it's still not as good as the main games, DMC 2 being an exception because fuck DMC 2.

Again, I'll give DmC Definitive Edition a go just to see how that GAF style list of balance changes and tweaks pan out because I need to know how a "Must Style" mode would play out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Never played it. I own it, but I got distracted by everything else when I bought a copy.

:<

DMC4 isn't without its flaws. Seriously. It has severe backtracking and mind numbing pacing issues. That said, the combat is absolutely sublime, and once everything clicks you won't find a deeper experience.

DMC3 is the whole package, and has excellent pacing and story through and through (even with missions 13-18 that people generally find weaker). If you get a chance, give it a try.

DmC is just a watered down experience with a WB teenybopper script. It has a large set of problems, many of which are only masked by the recent DmCDE changelist. DmCDE will undoubtedly be a much much stronger game than DmC was, but the game has inherent flaws.

Never played it. I own it, but I got distracted by everything else when I bought a copy.
I admit I have a love/hate relationship with 4. The bosses, level design, etc are all iffy, mostly due to how rushed it was. Even if you don't appreciate crazy combat depth, DMC3 is super worth your time, and one of the most memorable games I've played.

DMC3 is the whole package, and has excellent pacing and story through and through (even with missions 13-18 that people generally find weaker). If you get a chance, give it a try.
Should I use the DMC3 style switching mod? I know it makes it the best game in the series, but does it break the difficulty?

Should I use the DMC3 style switching mod? I know it makes it the best game in the series, but does it break the difficulty?
Don't do it your first time through. Play the game like it's meant to be played, the challenge is a part of the fun. Styles are balanced around having only one availible.

Have you played DMC1 or 2 or 4?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The Style Switching mod only works with the PC and PCX versions. I think it might be more consistent with the emulated version of the game than the PC version, but I'm not sure. Honestly, the game doesn't need it and if you're playing it for the first time you're not going to taking full advantage of it. It's perfectly find to just play it without mods.

That said, you can do stuff like this with the style switching mod:

fFvuKYM.gif

Top Bottom