• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

It's Always Sunny is having a marathon.

giphy.gif

I certainly hope so. Lost my aunt earlier in the year. First time I ever dealt with a close death in the family or at all and I'm pretty old. Had a scare with my dad and uncle (who were brothers of my aunt) each and it's been pretty fucking rough elsewhere as well. Health problems and everything. I need a clean slate.

I hope you get that clean slate. My Dad got into some family troubles shortly after I lost my grandma over the summer so I can relate to that feeling

I thought Matt and Bless were best friends at one point, no?
Nah the story is that they were at the same school, and Bless was supposed to do a project with him, but Matt had to do all the work and the teacher gave Matt a good grade for putting in all the extra effort and didn't give Bless anything. Then he said something to the effect of "Man fuck this shit".

That's just from memory, probably missing details.

While I like natural character progression more than the S Link system, I don't think P3 or P4 had "forced" character growth. I think both games handled it really well.

It's not the case for P3 since the main gameplay reward for character growth is independent of social links, but I never appreciated being made to forge social links to get better personas in P4

While I like natural character progression more than the S Link system, I don't think P3 or P4 had "forced" character growth. I think both games handled it really well.

I think P3 had a nice balance in its character growth (though its just that P2's characters are a lot better), but P4 had very little of it. When a character in that game joins your team the character development completely stops unless you do their social link. But then the problem with that is social links are complete garbage.

Disgusting. Does
Santa
know what his wife is doing?

It's not the case for P3 since the main gameplay reward for character growth is independent of social links, but I never appreciated being made to forge social links to get better personas in P4

Yeah, I wasn't fan of that either.

I think P3 had a nice balance in its character growth (though its just that P2's characters are a lot better), but P4 had very little of it. When a character in that game joins your team the character development completely stops unless you do their social link. But then the problem with that is social links are complete garbage.

I wouldn't say that P4 had very little character growth.

So how was everyone's Christmas?

I got $200 to blow through. Either gaming stuff or strippers
200? Gat damn.

I already went through 50 on Christmas Eve. And I've got 20 bucks set aside for the Seattle Gameworks on New Years Eve. Gonna actually go out and do shit that evening instead of sit at home and watch the rest of the internet enter 2015 before I do because fuck timezones.

I wouldn't say that P4 had very little character growth.

The weird thing
is that the cast lacks the conclusion to their social links, Yosuke still uses Jiraiya in Ultimax for example while Junpei gets Trismegistus. There's character growth in P4 that is canonically discarded by sequels.

Then I'll say it. Its horrible, especially for Persona standards.

Characters have as much depth as your average mediocre SoL anime.

I don't see that. Care to elaborate?

The weird thing
is that the cast lacks the conclusion to their social links, Yosuke still uses Jiraiya in Ultimax for example while Junpei gets Trismegistus. There's character growth in P4 that is canonically discarded by sequels.

I don't know what the deal is with that.

The weird thing is
that the cast lacks the conclusion to their social links, Yosuke still uses Jiraiya in Ultimax for example while Junpei gets Trismegistus. There's character growth in P4 that is canonically discarded by sequels
I believe the reasoning is that
all that character growth is like optional side stuff, and that people might not have done that, though that's dumb. More likely they just found the original Persona designs more iconic.

I think the Flanderizing content we've been getting over the past few years are giving people a way worse opinion of P4 in hindsight though.

Goddamn I'm exhausted. Ended up only playing a few Smash matches with my brothers and ended up playing with kids all day. Also, watched The Interview. That's a comedy movie. There are jokes and comedic situations. It's kinda bad and kinda okay.

I believe the reasoning is that
all that character growth is like optional side stuff, and that people might not have done that, though that's dumb. More likely they just found the original Persona designs more iconic.

Yet they make Culprit a playable character. And I'd take Susano-o or even Takehaya Susano-o over Jiraiya.

Also, I updated my entry in the Friender doc with my Steam ID

I think the Flanderizing content we've been getting over the past few years are giving people a way worse opinion of P4 in hindsight though.

God, the flanderization is awful. A good cast of characters just ruined.

Yet they make Culprit a playable character. And I'd take Susano-o or even Takehaya Susano-o over Jiraiya.

I mcuh prefer Disco Ninja Frog to Susano-o. I actually like most of the P4 starting personas more than their upgraded versions.

I actually like the new designs of most of the characters in ultimax though. Yukari being a super sentai/power ranger, Junpei being a baseball player, Akihiko traveling the world shirtless wearing a cape fighting the strongest opponents. Its pretty sick.

It's not as bad as me. Don't get me started on bioshock infinite

For some reason I have a bad habit of talking about games I hate for being so disappointing like Dark Souls 2 and Persona 4, more than games I love like Wonderful 101 and The World Ends with You. Its really sickening

I actually like the new designs of most of the characters in ultimax though. Yukari being a super sentai/power ranger, Junpei being a baseball player, Akihiko traveling the world shirtless wearing a cape fighting the strongest opponents. Its pretty sick.
The Persona 3 characters are at least interesting from a design standpoint, but their storylines aren't much of anything. They turned into fighting game characters, for all intents and purposes. Somehow I don't feel like they regressed like the P4 cast did though, maybe cause the story parts focus on the P4 cast.

ultimax

It is. Same goes for Arena and Ultimax.
That being said, the only character i really hate wether its vanilla or golden, is Yosuke. hes just terrible
And people say it's the best version of P4.

Pheh. Persona 4 Endurance Run is all that matters, fuck any other version of P4.

God, it'll be so refreshing once P5 comes out and we have a new cast of characters.

I cant wait. Hopefully P5 doesnt get whored out like P4 did.....

Meh, it probably will.

Ok so I have a problem.

I have 2 tickets to Video Games Live I purchased. My +1 just cancelled on me -_-

So now I have an extra ticket for this huge nerd shit and zero nerd friends who're into Tommy Tallorico/Orchestrated Game Scores.

Top Bottom