• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

ArjanN

Watching the latest Cryme Tyme I still feel it's kind of weird Woolie is down on (Binary Domain's) Big Bo, given that pretty every character in these Cryme Tyme games is an even worse stereotype. Big Bo mostly seems dumb at first but at least has some character development.

Oh such a heavy day it shall be..

MOM COMES A RIDIN ON THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN

TREE CHEESE FISH LIE SURFIN IN THE AIRRRRRR

I wonder if my guilty gear fightstick will actually get here tomorrow. Probably not. ;~;

Speaking of fightsticks..has anyone here ever used an eightarc? I've heard good things..but I mean you guys are Ohana at this point.

Xiraiya

I'd edit that out. It's one of those words that isn't really nice to say here. Mods might get on your case.
p7JZOh.png

I think it only really works because its foreign.
I've spoken about this before, I won't dismiss that could be part of it. But VA culture in general and how the Japanese approach it is very different to the west, we have some good VAs in the west but they are very few and far between as opposed to being everywhere in Japan, mainly because most japanese VAs also have careers in acting and music, aside from the fact Anime is almost everything in Japan, it's a pretty lucrative profession unlike here, where it's still fine, but not nearly as great.

So the skill in even some of our best VAs is almost never quite as natural and fitting sounding as the Japanese equivalent, that's just how it is, there are exceptions of course, but still.

For example, even though David Hayter wasn't great by the time he did Peace Walker, in MGS2 and mainly also 3, he pulled off Snake so well and even made fight noises and dumb things like that sound just as cool and natural as Japanese stuff, and not like some person trying to imitate their favorite character (Which is what most dub sounds like, even when it's decent)

(since I haven't finished Bayo 2 yet it won't be in there)

1. Wonderful 101
2. Bayo 1
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
4. Anarchy Reigns
5. Legend of Korra
6. Vanquish
7. Mad World

1. MGR
2. Bayo 1
3. Bayo 2
4. Vanquish
5. Wonderful 101
6. Anarchy Reigns
7. Madworld

WTH, no madworld love in this group? You know frienders.... sometimes... I don't believe I know you...

1. Bayo
2. Revengeance
3. MADWORLD.... YEAHHH!
4. Vanquish
5. Anarchy

Of the ones I played.

mike0dude

DMC 5 is the one where Dante finds a mysterious artefact that creates a dimentional rift that changes the course of history turning him into Dont-te and setting up the story for DmC :Devil May Cry 2: the Don't-tening

Squishy3

I refuse to acknowledge them as "new" till those bastards give me mega man legends 3

It's fiiiiiiinee
you do know it's basically inafune's fault capcom has all but killed megaman right

he spearheaded legends 3 and megaman universe, then leaves the company a couple months after they announce. surely no other execs care about megaman, so they naturally get cancelled.

now he's laughing his way to the bank with his franchise that he created with mighty no.9 that's a franchise before the first game has even come out

i really regret dumping $60 into mighty no.9

I've spoken about this before, I won't dismiss that could be part of it. But VA culture in general and how the Japanese approach it is very different to the west, we have some good VAs in the west but they are very few and far between as opposed to being everywhere in Japan, mainly because most japanese VAs also have careers in acting and music, aside from the fact Anime is almost everything in Japan, it's a pretty lucrative profession unlike here, where it's still fine, but not nearly as great.

So the skill in even some of our best VAs is almost never quite as natural and fitting sounding as the Japanese equivalent, that's just how it is, there are exceptions of course, but still.

For example, even though David Hayter wasn't great by the time he did Peace Walker, in MGS2 and mainly also 3, he pulled off Snake so well and even made fight noises and dumb things like that sound just as cool and natural as Japanese stuff, and not like some person trying to imitate their favorite character (Which is what most dub sounds like, even when it's decent)
Opinions on the quality of VAs versus the dialogue they're being asked to speak is a bit too subjective for me to get into a detailed argument. I understand what you mean about how it's a much more celebrated part of games and anime in Japan.

Well:

Hayter spent most of his childhood living around the world and at the age of 15, Hayter moved to Kobe in Japan where he graduated from the Canadian Academy, an international school, in 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hayter

That kind of experience can help a guy.

Opinions on the quality of VAs versus the dialogue they're being asked to speak is a bit too subjective for me to get into a detailed argument.

Same here. I honestly don't care if one sounds better than the other. If the english isn't bad, just give me that. Its the language I understand best and the one I want to hear. Unless its english is Higurashi levels of bad, I honestly don't care which one gives a little more emotion or has grunts that sound better. Of course, if Japanese Dio is in the game, then that's the exception to the rule.

Plus, based on Square's history that dual audio is gonna be a 10 GB download. So no thanks on that either.

I refuse to acknowledge them as "new" till those bastards give me mega man legends 3

#NewNewCapcom will save the man in blue. Just not the one you would have thought.

ultimax

you do know it's basically inafune's fault capcom has all but killed megaman right

he spearheaded legends 3 and megaman universe, then leaves the company a couple months after they announce. surely no other execs care about megaman, so they naturally get cancelled.

now he's laughing his way to the bank with his franchise that he created with mighty no.9 that's a franchise before the first game has even come out

i really regret dumping $60 into mighty no.9
Yeah but I don't like how capcom "blamed the fans" for legends' cancellation. That's pretty messed up.

And I literally have no hype for mighty no.9, I'll wait till its actually out to give an opinion on it

Xiraiya

Opinions on the quality of VAs versus the dialogue they're being asked to speak is a bit too subjective for me to get into a detailed argument. I understand what you mean about how it's a much more celebrated part of games and anime in Japan.

While most things are subjective, there is just an overall clear difference between the west and Japan regardless, that's just how it is.

It can't really be helped unless Anime starts basically succeeding over the western film and TV industry and every series has a Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks movie tier cast of voice actors.

Which are mainly the times I really enjoy English dubbed stuff.

That final boss fight is like in my top five of all time tho...
That game has awesome bossfights, but kind of so so in between stuff.
It's like a No More Heroes, with worse story but better gameplay in my oppinion.

I never beat the game, so I can't honestly give an opinion. I probably should of left it out of my rankings also along with Vanquish (which I didn't love from what I played of it).

360pages

The thing about capcom, is all the games they aren't making another company or developer are. Platinum, Yaute Club, Inafune with mighty no.9

And more survival horror games keep showing up.

I don't know who mentioned it a few days ago, but thanks to whoever mentioned Shirobako as a good slice of life anime. I'm loving it probably my favorite this season with Parasyte.

Archgan

Re-posting
Oh never mind then. I'm using gimp so I don't know if that's an option.

There's actually an easier way to to do it in gimp. If you click and hold with the magic wand, you can move your mouse side-to-side to change the threshold. When you do it that way, you can see the outline changing so you know when you should stop.

Alfebit

Banned
Re-posting

There's actually an easier way to to do it in gimp. If you click and hold with the magic wand, you can move your mouse side-to-side to change the threshold. When you do it that way, you can see the outline changing so you know when you should stop.

Oh, then I was doing that already. Thanks for the heads up.

Re-posting

Really? I've never tried that. Thanks Archgan!

While most things are subjective, there is just an overall clear difference between the west and Japan regardless, that's just how it is.

It can't really be helped unless Anime starts basically succeeding over the western film and TV industry and every series has a Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks movie tier cast of voice actors.

Which are mainly the times I really enjoy English dubbed stuff.

I think it also depends on the writing of the kind of show that's being dubbed. There's a good reason why shonen's seemingly have significantly worse voice acting than subbed shonens and dubbed seinen. Its because of lines like "I will defeat you, monster!" in intense situations or "I will become strong to protect my friends" in heartfelt situations just do not translate well from Japanese to English.

Of course those kind of lines don't sound bad in Japanese because your ears can't process just how weird that actually sounds unless you're fluent in Japanese because you just hear a lot of emotion and assume its being acted well. In english it sounds cringeworthy because it is cringeworthy. No amount of better voice acting would make it sound not awkward in english. Its why seinen like Bebop or Ghost in the Shell sound much better in english, because of the complexity of the writing is much better making the dialogue feel much more natural and just better to voice act in English.

Plus, english VA's have to deal with the awkward mouthing which is why words can sometimes feel spaced apart. And if they did change any of the lines, anime fans would be on the licenser's asses so hard about it.

Top Bottom