• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Nabster92

You play a character that can punish people for hitting you.

9/10 times Luma gets a punish on someone after Rosa gets hit, it's because they do something unsafe after the hit trying to follow up on the hit. Many characters can punish you after you hit them if you try to follow up incorrectly against them and those aren't contingent on a part of their character actually still being attached to you and alive. Yea it can be dumb that if you happen to hit Rosalina and not Luma and can't move away fast enough during Rosa's hitstun, you're kinda forced to hold shield, but it's not a completely free punish all the time people seem to think it is.

And because I play a character that has an overwhelming hate for the very mentioning of her name, my opinion on another character having things that are just as dumb getting buffed is invalid?

It's fine. Debates are fun. What about it sounds like inexperience? Have you attempted to play the top Lucarios on Anthers. Lucario is not an often used character, so I know a lot of people on here in all likelihood have not experienced the playstyle I've witnessed.

Hey now, if anyone gets the same hate as rosa its Sonic, lol

Eh, I feel like Rosa takes a bigger hit of the hate train despite there (in my experience) being many more Sonic's around to have to deal with. Even any time there happens to be a match on stream of a Sonic against a Rosalina, once you get past all the residentsleeper's, everyone is just like ehhh Sonic's pretty lame, but FUCK ROSA, GO SONIC.

Thulius

9/10 times Luma gets a punish on someone after Rosa gets hit, it's because they do something unsafe after the hit trying to follow up on the hit. Many characters can punish you after you hit them if you try to follow up incorrectly against them and those aren't contingent on a part of their character actually still being attached to you and alive. Yea it can be dumb that if you happen to hit Rosalina and not Luma and can't move away fast enough during Rosa's hitstun, you're kinda forced to hold shield, but it's not a completely free punish all the time people seem to think it is.

And because I play a character that has an overwhelming hate for the very mentioning of her name, my opinion on another character having things that are just as dumb getting buffed is invalid?

Eh, I feel like Rosa takes a bigger hit of the hate train despite there (in my experience) being many more Sonic's around to have to deal with. Even any time there happens to be a match on stream of a Sonic against a Rosalina, once you get past all the residentsleeper's, everyone is just like ehhh Sonic's pretty lame, but FUCK ROSA, GO SONIC.

I literally lost a tournament set to a Rosa player yesterday and had Greninja's jab/dtilt/ftilt punished by Luma before I recovered multiple times. As in, I was doing nothing but holding shield after I hit Rosalina but Luma was behind me and none of those options leave Rosa in a tumble state at low %s. So all she has to do is mash the A button and I can't use my only decent pokes unless she decides to get hit by Fair for some reason. No sympathy from me!

If it makes you feel any better, I hate Sonic just as much. I just haven't had a negative experience with him recently enough to refresh the hatred.

There are a ton more Sonic players than Rosa. Maybe that irregularity of playing her amplifies the hate? Unfortunately, I don't think any sort of nerfing will appease people because most just hate the idea behind Luma. It's always going to be frustrating to know you got a leg up on Rosa in a situation only for it to be screwed up because of a seemingly random hit from Luma. Personally, if they reduce Rosa's downb range by 70 percent I'd be happy (well, content at least), haha.

Oidisco

I haven't checked since I went to sleep. I really felt like I walked into a madhouse last night. When did GAF get like this? :/

Yea, it's awful. I feel like it's been this way for a while too.

I actually found an answer, though it's not super helpful. I'll just repost what I wrote in that thread:

Well the guy got back to me on how to deal with these users that don't have a Miiverse profile.

He said that you need to have their NNID and in-game names, then e-mail support and tell them what happened and they should take care of it. It's a terrible way of dealing with it, but it's all you can do unfortunately.
Apparently this is an issue they've been aware for a long time, and the mods have been pushing for better moderation and reporting tools but nothings really come of it so far.

So I guess the answer to your question Karst is that yea you can report them, but it's needlessly awkward and time consuming. Even then it's possible they won't really do anything.

The Rosa hate mostly came to be because of Dabuz vs Abadango. But, I felt like Dabuz had to play the matchup that way in order to win.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the stream chat, though.

The Rosa hate mostly came to be because of Dabuz vs Abadango. But, I felt like Dabuz had to play the matchup that way in order to win.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the stream chat, though.

She was straight-up broken and winning tons of 3DS tournaments even before that, though.
Couldn't even grab her without getting hit by a smash attack and Luma came back way too quickly.

JulianImp

All this talk about Lucario got me thinking about how bad a match-up he might be for Pac and his lack of reliable kill options until the early-mid 100s. Pac-Man's KO game already requires careful reads, spacing and looking for the perfect moment to use his limited kill moves to win, and getting Lucario up to KO percentage sounds particularily scary.

Does anyone here play Lucario? I might be interested in getting a bit of match-up experience against him for the sake of research, since I very rarely find any Lucarios online, let alone decent ones.

All this talk about Lucario got me thinking about how bad a match-up he might be for Pac and his lack of reliable kill options until the early-mid 100s. Pac-Man's KO game already requires careful reads, spacing and looking for the perfect moment to use his limited kill moves to win, and getting Lucario up to KO percentage sounds particularily scary.

Does anyone here play Lucario? I might be interested in getting a bit of match-up experience against him for the sake of research, since I very rarely find any Lucarios online, let alone decent ones.

Thulius is the only one I can think of. I have played him a bit. He was actually who I first planned to main when the 3DS version came out. I think I am not completely horrible with him, except for when I fight Karsticles' Mewtwo...

We can play if you want. I wouldn't mind making him a secondary now. I have played him a little the past few weeks, and he requires some thought to actually get the kill, and not getting the first kill is not the best situation to be in.

Thulius is the only one I can think of. I have played him a bit. He was actually who I first planned to main when the 3DS version came out. I think I am not completely horrible with him, except for when I fight Karsticles' Mewtwo...

We can play if you want. I wouldn't mind making him a secondary now. I have played him a little the past few weeks, and he requires some thought to actually get the kill, and not getting the first kill is not the best situation to be in.
If you want to do well with Lucario, master B reversing Aura Sphere's charge. Incredible offensive tool.

Wow, with my new found love for phantom I've been seeing how well ti works in the shiek and ZSS matchups at edge guarding. Throw it high to gimp their up recoveries and force them into spike/nair trap. Works so damn well.

I'm not motivated enough to play lately, and nobody else seems to be available around this time. This thread is eventually going to become a series of posts by Shamrock asking for 1v1's forever.

It wouldn't be a day in SmashGAF without Shamrock asking for 1v1's and getting no replies until the evening.

I'm kinda curious, how would our more competitive players feel about spending a day just playing in a FFA doing all sorts of crazy shit? Items on high, Temple and Pac-Land spam, Falcon 4-ways, all that stuff. Would be a bit interesting to have a casual day imo, and maybe it could draw more attention our way. :)

If you want to do well with Lucario, master B reversing Aura Sphere's charge. Incredible offensive tool.

Oh, I know. I didn't know about that when I last used him against you, but I know how it can combo into up-smash and stuff.

It wouldn't be a day in SmashGAF without Shamrock asking for 1v1's and getting no replies until the evening.

I'm kinda curious, how would our more competitive players feel about spending a day just playing in a FFA doing all sorts of crazy shit? Items on high, Temple and Pac-Land spam, Falcon 4-ways, all that stuff. Would be a bit interesting to have a casual day imo, and maybe it could draw more attention our way. :)

I've already asked for ranbats like that. Karsticles dubbed it "Funbats".

Hate it when people on FG counter-pick to your character and leave after winning. Okay, good job on beating my Yoshi with your Yoshi, but you clearly don't have the confidence to do it twice.

Anyone want to play? Tags: 1v1, this, game, fight

I always prefer FFA over Doubles because fuck Doubles. And whenever I eventually get suckered into playing Doubles, I always try and sneak items on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "fuck Doubles"

JulianImp

I tried some Coin matches on brawl when some non-smashing friends came to play, and it was nice how I wouldn't dominate the games at all. I'd be all for some wackier stuff every now and then, since I find myself a bit bored of doing Pac-Man drills all the time. Too bad we can't do Ryu stamina matches online, though.

One of the crazy things I noticed a while ago was that Smash4 is the first time in the series where I haven't even bothered with using items, down to the point I don't know what some of them do in certain circumstances.

Oidisco

Wow, with my new found love for phantom I've been seeing how well ti works in the shiek and ZSS matchups at edge guarding. Throw it high to gimp their up recoveries and force them into spike/nair trap. Works so damn well.

The other morning when I was playing far better with Zelda than I normally do, I was actually using Phantom pretty regularly. I used it sometimes, but never found it too effective.
Now I'm starting to find ways of fitting it into my playstyle. It's still a pretty bad move since most good players can easily avoid it, but I'm certainly seeing some potential.

Sometimes I'll throw it out because when people try to dash past it, it slows their running speed. I use this to surprise them with a grab or dash attack. It can work pretty well

The other morning when I was playing far better with Zelda than I normally do, I was actually using Phantom pretty regularly. I used it sometimes, but never found it too effective.
Now I'm starting to find ways of fitting it into my playstyle. It's still a pretty bad move since most good players can easily avoid it, but I'm certainly seeing some potential.

Sometimes I'll throw it out because when people try to dash past it, it slows their running speed. I use this to surprise them with a grab or dash attack. It can work pretty well

Yeah, a properly timed phantom can give a great opening. Just throwing it around in various FG matchups to see potential and I get a lot of surprising scenarios.

Like gimping kirby''s up recovery, place a phantom at the edge and it'll push him from ledge grab range.

Naaaabster. Look who knocked you off the first page on Anthers... bwahahaha

Lol, just beat the number 1 person on the ladder and it boosted me like 30 points, lol.

Oidisco

I find Fox is really good at shutting down Zelda's already poor combo game and he's really hard to approach.

Also, OH MY GOD THAT WAS AWESOME!

Oidisco

Good games dude! I'm used to Fox players being super aggresive, but you're alot more careful about how and when you approach. It's a bit tricky to fight, but a lot of fun!

GGs, you still deal pretty well with the defensive play, but you're right that definitely made me see a few more opening on zss!!

Now something I thought I knew but it didn't work at all! how do we roll back from the ledge but roll all the way to the back! I used to think it was recovering with the shield button!

Good games dude! I'm used to Fox players being super aggresive, but you're alot more careful about how and when you approach. It's a bit tricky to fight, but a lot of fun!

I used to think that rushing down with fox was the way to go! but smash has a really strong mind game behind it! I want learn a bit more on that end! So I think it's really cool when I play with stronger players that can read and punish accordingly! Like your zss, some of those reads were pretty insane!!

Oidisco

GGs, you still deal pretty well with the defensive play, but you're right that definitely made me see a few more opening on zss!!

Now something I thought I knew but it didn't work at all! how do we roll back from the ledge but roll all the way to the back! I used to think it was recovering with the shield button!

Yea, I've been using ZSS a lot on For Glory recently since there's so many defensive and roll happy players there. It's helped me a little in dealing with defensive play because when I 1st started using her, I would get destroyed by campy players. It's still tough, but not as bad now.
And I'm not sure what you mean about rolling from the ledge.

I used to think that rushing down with fox was the way to go! but smash has a really strong mind game behind it! I want learn a bit more on that end! So I think it's really cool when I play with stronger players that can read and punish accordingly! Like your zss, some of those reads were pretty insane!!

Yea I actually remember the 1st time we played, you were constantly rushing me down and always approaching. I actually found that easier to deal with as Zelda, but once you started really thinking out your movement and approach I started finding it very difficult.
And the highlight of all those games was getting the off-stage dair spike when you were recovering with side-b. I recorded that one just because I was so happy with it!

Yea, I've been using ZSS a lot on For Glory recently since there's so many defensive and roll happy players there. It's helped me a little in dealing with defensive play because when I 1st started using her, I would get destroyed by campy players. It's still tough, but not as bad now.

Yea I actually remember the 1st time we played, you were constantly rushing me down and always approaching. I actually found that easier to deal with as Zelda, but once you started really thinking out your movement and approach I started finding it very difficult.
And the highlight of all those games was getting the off-stage dair spike when you were recovering with side-b. I recorded that one just because I was so happy with it!

when it comes to dealing with campy players in FG. How do you outcamp a Zelda lol

Sorry, not sure how to explain! I used to think these were the standard options for ledge recovery! You jump over, you kick while recovering, you just get back to the ledge right on the corner, and I was thinking you could recover from the ledge and go a bit further than just stand there on the edge, A good example is when you see ZSS Down + Smash the ledge, I have a feeling you can press something and tech roll behind her!! Though I tried that and did not work! I hope I'm making sense!

Sorry, not sure how to explain! I used to think these were the standard options for ledge recovery! You jump over, you kick while recovering, you just get back to the ledge right on the corner, and I was thinking you could recover from the ledge and go a bit further than just stand there on the edge, A good example is when you see ZSS Down + Smash the ledge, I have a feeling you can press something and tech roll behind her!! Though I tried that and did not work! I hope I'm making sense!

Just press shield to do a roll recovery from the edge.

Oidisco

when it comes to dealing with campy players in FG. How do you outcamp a Zelda lol

Zelda is really bad at camping, especially against someone who knows how the character works. Her projectiles are super laggy and easily punishable. And her defensive options aren't great either, so a campy, roll-spammy Zelda is honestly pretty easy to deal with I think.

Yea you just press shield when hanging off the ledge. Maybe you pressed it when there was a bit of lag and it didn't register the button press or something because it should work. But keep in mind, ZSS's down-smash has a decent size blast radius so it's possible you did press it, but I was still able to catch you with the paralyzer.

Top Bottom