• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway - Review Thread

lbp2 felt so unnecessary. it made me wonder if the first game was a fluke. or beginner's luck. or something. tearaway looks like it's the real deal though. these guys are probably sony's best studio right now (i hear bend is good too but i haven't played any of their games).
Hey! How about Team Ico??
T_T

Sendou

Woah not out of nowhere but still very happy to see this game review well. Looks like it is as good as it looks. Day 1.

Moosichu

lbp2 felt so unnecessary. it made me wonder if the first game was a fluke. or beginner's luck. or something. tearaway looks like it's the real deal though. these guys are probably sony's best studio right now (i hear bend is good too but i haven't played any of their games).

LBP2's community levels really blow 1's out of the water. Can't wait for Tearaway now!

Jomjom

Banned
Keep in mind that Tearaway was only made by a small team of 15 or so people within MM. The majority of them are working on the PS4 game.

Wowwww. Didn't even know about that. Here's hoping they do something amazing on the PS4. Please don't be another LBP!!

boingball

Those are some great review scores.

Nice to see that the Vita goes out with a great game (this is probably the last major retail release by a western dev on the Vita; yes I know that Sony said they bring more AAA games to the Vita, but how? Sony studios are all on PS4 and 3rd party have all lost interest(.

Looking forward to play my copy of the game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Thanks to this game (and the PS4), I'm now 100% sure to get a Vita. Now waiting for a great deal (I may go to Tokyo in December, it will likely be cheaper there?).

Phazon

4Gamers 91/100 (Dutch)

http://psv.4gamers.be/reviews/31663/1/Tearaway

Media Molecule has done it again with Tearaway. A paper world, genious level design, smooth gameplay and many memorable events make this a unforgettable game. If you want to get creative, the game allows you to do that, both in-game and offline. A must-have for PS Vita owners and a good reason to buy one if you don't have a PS Vita yet.

King_Moc

Banned
Hmm...wasn't too enamoured with this previously, but may have to get it now. I love the artstyle, but find the colour palette a little muted.

Roubjon

Woah, woah, woah. I always thought the game looked great and was going to pick it up eventually, but my god these reviews are amazing. I'm going to preorder this right now.

And damn, I haven't explored the soundtrack at all for it but it sounds like it's amazing.

Stuck in class atm, just saw the scores though. Can't read the reviews but I've got two questions, is the game.... ugh.... long? How's the replayability?

co1onel

Stuck in class atm, just saw the scores though. Can't read the reviews but I've got two questions, is the game.... ugh.... long? How's the replayability?

This is the only area that is looking sketchy. IGN said it only took them 5 hours, although someone else here said it took him 10 hours his first time and 20-30 hours to 100%. Ultimately I think it comes down to what kind of pace you take it at.

Seeing how LBP2 surpassed LBP in terms of user-created level, I wouldn't say that it was unnecessary.

RalchAC

There's still a lot more to be added, I think it'll go up from there as there aren't any other outliers like joystiqs.

Man, did those guys hate gaming or something? It looks like they loved to throw some bad reviews.

I was just going to translate your conclusions xD. Good review. I didn't read everything, just a quick look at the key things, but I want to just wait and play the game.

Takao

Banned
The size of the team really puts Sony's other first party studios on blast because it's clearly not a resources issue preventing them from making Vita games.
It's something much worse, they're just not interested.

Jennipeg

I'm so happy with the scores, I even saw an ad on TV last night (UK) I hope it sells ok. Not expecting huge numbers but anything to keep games like this coming.

AniHawk

Seeing how LBP2 surpassed LBP in terms of user-created level, I wouldn't say that it was unnecessary.

i played lbp for its single player stuff and barely touched the community levels. so my experience with it was based purely on mm's design both times, and it's much tighter and focused in the first game versus the second. the second game also has an amazingly dumb final boss.

The size of the team really puts Sony's other first party studios on blast because it's clearly not a resources issue preventing them from making Vita games.
It's something much worse, they're just not interested.

yep, and that's what automatically puts mm above most other teams for me.

Sanke__

I honestly was not expecting this game to review so well. Glad i could still get an order in with amazon for release date delivery.

Fabrik

Banned
Excellent reviews!
I wish Nintendo would try to create a new IP like this.
Between this, ALBW and SM3DW, it's nice to see the creatice juice still flowing in a few AAA productions.

i played lbp for its single player stuff and barely touched the community levels. so my experience with it was based purely on mm's design both times, and it's much tighter and focused in the first game versus the second. the second game also has an amazingly dumb final boss.

Well, there's the issue - you've ignored a large part of why the game is great.

Well, there's the issue - you've ignored a large part of why the game is great.

Exactly. I didn't even 'get' LittleBigPlanet until I delved into the community aspect of it. Then it all made beautiful sense.

And the sequel is the better game. It might lack the freshness and WOW factor of experiencing LBP for the first time, but it improved on its predecessor in nearly every conceivable way.

zeroOman

gamespotThe Good
Wonderfully charming, immediately engaging visuals
Succeeds in creating a connection between the real and virtual worlds
Feels like the most natural use of the Vita's input options to date
Customisation is simple and fun, and enhances diversity
Ability to print blueprints of in-game objects is a cute and fun idea

The Bad
It's all over too soon, and there are too few reasons to return

so 5 good thing and one bad still get 8... it's harsh

Zalman

LBP2 was better than the first one in every way and felt like the definitive LBP. I don't see how it was unnecessary.

Skyzard

Banned
^ out of 5 right? not loading for me :) Okay yep, loaded, nice!

LBP2 was better than the first one in every way and felt like the definitive LBP. I don't see how it was unnecessary.

Wait till you get the Vita one :)

Tighter controls, less input lag, convenient auto-switching between layers. It's a really great game. Although I never got to play lbp2, but compared to the first one anyway.

Huh? LBP1 felt like a beta compared to LBP2.

Dragun619

Wow, that's awesome. I wasn't really in hurry to buy Tearaway with my Vita Plus backlog but with all the positive reception it's receiving, I might go ahead and pick it up this week.

Man, the 22nd is going to be a great day for fans of 3D platformers. I wasn't a huge fan of LittleBig Planet, but the gameplay for this MM game just looks too fun. Think I'll rent it since it's not that long.

Holy crap at the reviews... I thought I was never going to buy a Vita game, but guess this one will be the first, and probably last.

Holy shit... I knew the game was probably going to be good, but that it's THAT good is a surprise... bigger surprise still that reviewers are actually prepared to say as much about a Vita game.

Top Bottom