• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway - Review Thread

SmokyDave

Man, the reviews are almost unanimously stellar. Really glad the Vita has such a marquee title at last.

Got mine preordered on PSN with the bonus soundtrack. Made the mistake of showing the missus some footage and now I think I'll be second in line to play it.

CrisKre

That will, unfortunately, be bought by 8 people.
God no. This game deserves better.

it probably will and that makes me so sad. Just like wonderful 101. People buying xbones and ps4 with nothing to play and disregarding the true gems of the year. Aaaaarghh!

Crazy scores.... So this game is really like Mario 64 or what? Collecting "stars" and stuff? I almost know nothing about the game but I've been looking for a reason to buy the PS Vita for a long time and if this is like Mario 64 this may just seal the deal for me.

God no. This game deserves better.

it probably will and that makes me so sad. Just like wonderful 101. People buying xbones and ps4 with nothing to play and disregarding the true gems of the year. Aaaaarghh!

Speak for yourself, I'll be playing Shadow Fall, NfS: Rivals, Resogun, Doki-Doki Universe and free next-gen Flower on my PS4 this Christmas. I'm content.

lbp2 felt so unnecessary. it made me wonder if the first game was a fluke. or beginner's luck. or something. tearaway looks like it's the real deal though. these guys are probably sony's best studio right now (i hear bend is good too but i haven't played any of their games).

SSM and Naughty Dog would like a word with you!

Mokubba

I was expecting 7's but this is nice to see and at £20, it's well inside impulse buy territory for those on the fence.

Good to hear it uses all the Vita's features well.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
People are still hoping for that 90+ Metascore other than P4G. Which this game definitely deserves. The 60 and 70 score really squashed that though.

That's quite frankly just stupid. They should be hoping for great games, which is excactly what they've gotten with this one.

Wowwww. Didn't even know about that. Here's hoping they do something amazing on the PS4. Please don't be another LBP!!

Mm have moved on from LBP. I don't know who will be developing the next, but maybe it'll be Tarsier (who co-developed LBP Vita). Double Eleven, who also co-developed LBPV, have ended their relationship with Sony, so they won't be involved in LBP any more.

I hope there is more LBP, but it could probably do with a break of a few years before coming back with a host of new ideas. Probably taking it fully into the third dimension being the main one.

CrisKre

Speak for yourself, I'll be playing Shadow Fall, NfS: Rivals, Resogun, Doki-Doki Universe and free next-gen Flower on my PS4 this Christmas. I'm content.
I am speaking for myself obviously. Relax.

And since Im still speaking for myself, I do like my list of zelda, 3d world and Tearaway much better than your list. I think I have better taste. :p

Mm have moved on from LBP. I don't know who will be developing the next, but maybe it'll be Tarsier (who co-developed LBP Vita). Double Eleven, who also co-developed LBPV, have ended their relationship with Sony, so they won't be involved in LBP any more.

I hope there is more LBP, but it could probably do with a break of a few years before coming back with a host of new ideas. Probably taking it fully into the third dimension being the main one.

Sumo Digital is rumoured to be working on the 3rd one.

Double Eleven is working on Frozen Synapse: Tactics for the Vita and PS3.

That's quite frankly just stupid. They should be hoping for great games, which is excactly what they've gotten with this one.

Of course, but you know how fickle people are when it comes to review scores. Especially with the Vita its more of a justification thing if anything. Same thing happened in the Zelda and Super Mario 3D World Review thread.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
There will always be biased outlets which cannot fathom giving Vita games high scores.

Joystiq gave LBP Vita: 4/5

this "biased" media outlets it's not a very constructive approach. They all consists of lots of different reviewers with different preferences.

If you want to critize a review, you should read it, find its weak or inconsistent points, and take it from there

Of course, but you know how fickle people are when it comes to review scores. Especially with the Vita its more of a justification thing if anything. Same thing happened in the Zelda and Super Mario 3D World Review thread.

The only thing I noticed being critized in 3D world thread was that one of the reviewers ducked point for "Bowser is still antagonist", which is a pretty dumb criticism of a Mario game. In the Zelda thread some people got worked up because Destructoid ducked points because the reviewer "couldn't feel the magic", which is also weird, since he had no concrete negatives to speak of.

weaKwillO

Ever since I laid my eyes on this game at E3, I knew I was going to end up joining the Vita fanclub. Purchase confirmed in the very near future!

Corto

My review is up at Calmdowntom.com

(And as a fledgling writer I'd appreciate feedback and advice!)

Loved it. Well written, engaging, and liked the details on the meta game extra stuff (the papercrafting). I think I found a formatting error

their design sensibilities of using player creativity to add mechanics to the are here in full force and the art style has a distinctly hand crafted feel to it.

There's something missing after "to the are..."

The things I noticed being critized in 3D world thread was that one of the reviewers ducked point for "Bowser is still antagonist", which is a pretty dumb criticism of a Mario game. In the Zelda thread some people got worked up because Destructoid ducked points because the reviewer "couldn't feel the magic", which is also weird.

While yes there were some strange review points in both those threads I was referencing moreso the justification aspect of it when it comes to why people want that 90+ metascore. W/ WiiU and Vita both struggling systems and constantly getting beat down by other people having a game that says "ITS A MUST OWN" is kind of a "shove it in your face" to those people, 3D World and ALBW moreso because initial reaction to those games was pretty poor. Most people see 90+ as "Must own", anything less than that is just "Great." Which is really stupid imo but thats how it seems to work in most places.

TLDR: People just want other people to eat crow.

BY2K

Membero Americo
A Vita game has a better Metacritic score that most if not all next-gen launch titles so far. (Except maybe Resogun.)

Think about it.

My review is up at Calmdowntom.com

(And as a fledgling writer I'd appreciate feedback and advice!)

I'll give it a read and give you some feedback shortly. First thing I noticed (reading on an older version of IE) is that the text is too close to the left edge of the page, making reading a little weird.

Sumo Digital is rumoured to be working on the 3rd one.

Was it Sumo who were developing LBP Hub? Or were the rumours relating to a full sequel? Given their experience in colourful racing games, I think they'd be quite a good choice to develop a 3D LBP.

Joystiq gave LBP Vita: 4/5

this "biased" media outlets it's not a very constructive approach. They all consists of lots of different reviewers with different preferences.

If you want to critize a review, you should read it, find its weak or inconsistent points, and take it from there

To be fair, outlets were very dumb with how they reviewed Killzone Mercenary (comparing it to full console releases), although I'm not getting that from Tearaway reviews yet.

To be fair, outlets were very dumb with how they reviewed Killzone Mercenary (comparing it to full console releases), although I'm not getting that from Tearaway reviews yet.

To be fair Sony does have some fault in this, since launching the Vita they've tried selling it as a "portable home console" with "console quality games." Its only natural for reviewers to compare it and the other titles to their home console counterparts given that premise. It doesn't help that the development most of these big games were pushing for that console experience rather than tailor making it as a handheld one. Tearaway won't suffer from this because it really is tailor made for the Vita so its merits will be based upon that.

Skyzard

Banned
I'll give it a read and give you some feedback shortly. First thing I noticed (reading on an older version of IE) is that the text is too close to the left edge of the page, making reading a little weird.

Was it Sumo who were developing LBP Hub? Or were the rumours relating to a full sequel? Given their experience in colourful racing games, I think they'd be quite a good choice to develop a 3D LBP.

They can't do it with Tearaway, it's too different.

3D LBP on PS4. Please.

Corto

I think that's because Killzone Mercenary was perceived as a "console game" on an handheld, so some reviewed it like a proper console game that it couldn't be, while Tearaway is using specific Vita features that makes it almost impossible to imagine it on any other platform, so reviewers won't have preconceived notions to compare it less favourably.

EGM1966

No bothering with a PS4 or XB1 but got this on pre-order - for me right now Vita with games like this seems more "next-gen" in terms of ideas than the new consoles and their initial launch games.

Corto

No bothering with a PS4 or XB1 but got this on pre-order - for me right now Vita with games like this seems more "next-gen" in terms of ideas than the new consoles and their initial launch games.

It's even more ironic because Vita had way better launch games than PS4 and Xbox One put together.

Protome

Loved it. Well written, engaging, and liked the details on the meta game extra stuff (the papercrafting). I think I found a formatting error

There's something missing after "to the are..."
Thanks! :D

I'll look into that formatting error, not sure why that happened.

Corto

It isn't just Vita's best game. It is GOTY candidate. Sorry Tomb Raider.

I haven't played Tearaway yet, I'm excited to though. But it will be hard to beat Spelunky for me as Vita's best game this year. If it beats it, it will have a shot at GOTY for me, that's for sure.

Top Bottom