• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Vodh

Thanks :) And yeah, about the server - I'm gonna be playing on EU, I hope the servers aren't gonna be too terribly empty. I just have a sleeping pattern that makes me look like I'm from NA.

Jomjom

Banned
This is probably posted in here already, but BB right now has TERA for 19.99 for both the vanilla and CE versions. With the coupon from Best Buy's @Gamer magazine, you get the game for free.

I got a CE and a regular version, so I'm going to jump in today. Previous to this I only played the 7 day trial.

Quick questions:

Can I register both the CE and the regular version for all the items and 60 days of playtime?

Also, which server should I join to join the GAF guild?

Are any of the magic classes good for endgame?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is probably posted in here already, but BB right now has TERA for 19.99 for both the vanilla and CE versions. With the coupon from Best Buy's @Gamer magazine, you get the game for free.

I got a CE and a regular version, so I'm going to jump in today. Previous to this I only played the 7 day trial.

Quick questions:

Can I register both the CE and the regular version for all the items and 60 days of playtime?

Also, which server should I join to join the GAF guild?

Are any of the magic classes good for endgame?

Not sure about regular and CE edition. Good question!

Server in US? Dragonfall for PvE. Valley of Titans for PvP. EU? No idea...

Sorc and Mystic are both solid endgame, just depends on your role.

Mystic is SLOG to solo with at level 50+

(just my two cents, cuz i have betrayed my mystic main for my zerker alt)

Sorc is one of the best damage dealer classes.

Both healer classes are slogs to solo, as are Lancers. However if you're going to be a healer at endgame, I strongly recommend you be a Priest.

Slayer seems a popular dps class.

Slayer isn't dramatically more powerful than Warrior or Sorceror for PvE DPS, but if you want to be hilariously OP in PvP then Slayer is your ticket to ride. Nothing can kill a Slayer in endgame PvP except a fully geared Lancer or a Reflect-specced Priest. The Lancer just blocks a lot and stuns and pokes the Slayer to death, the Priest just dodges the Slayer, heals himself, and waits for the Slayer to either get a lucky chain of KDs and rip his face off or suicide on his Reflect. Everyone else just dies to the Slayer, usually in dramatic fashion when the Slayer chain-KDs him and then crits him 2-3 times for the instagib.

Lol how the hell do they fuck that up? Any bro's across the pond that end up with a free tera they don't want, throw it my way please. :p

zugzug

are the swimsuits you find 30 days of playtime or just 30 days from when youwear it so it decays when your offline?

Nice! I wouldn't mind picking up a Collector's Edition. I'll have to check this out today. Do they usually have those magazines on display in the store?

Coverly

Wow this is awesome.

Goodbye CR, now that Necromancer Tomb has opened up, this was my last instance.
teracr.jpg

CR was the first instance that I found really gorgeous, the only thing I won't miss is the horrible drop rate. Going to look up a video or two on NT to refresh before starting it. Any noob tips on this instance, especially for lancers?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
CR was the first instance that I found really gorgeous, the only thing I won't miss is the horrible drop rate. Going to look up a video or two on NT to refresh before starting it. Any noob tips on this instance, especially for lancers?

I've been farming NT for gear the past week. It's really really really easy. The only thing you need to worry about is if your group is not stupid. Remember that your job is block and keep threat, NOT be a damage dealer.

First boss, I just tank him against the wall near the spikes and tell my group to stay by me. The boss has a weird aggro table and likes to chase the healer. Shout + shield bash = friend. You can leash him onto the spikes for some nice damage, just try and avoid them yourself as they bounce you around and add up quick damage wise.

Second boss is easy - tank in a corner and let your party deal with the adds.

Third boss is also easy. He will occasionally slam his sword into the ground creating an electric well. Just side step out of it and continue on.

The final boss is the only issue. Your group needs to remember to clear a spot for you to tank when adds pop up.

If you do that, it's a very simple (yet drop-stingy) instance.

Also, a lot of the minions in Necromancer's Tomb like to chase the person who's the farthest away from the group. This is usually the healer.

Layoffs at En Masse:

Today, we had to let go of some of the great talent at En Masse Entertainment. While a tough decision, it was necessary as we prepare for the next chapter of our business. TERA has been a great launch for us, and we are committed to our loyal players. We're taking measures to align the needs of our business to continue supporting TERA and preparing for our future. We are working with those affected by this transition, including offering assistance on new prospects within the industry/area. If there are companies who are looking for talented people with publishing experience, please send an email with the details to info@enmasse.com," Lee said.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485949

Jomjom

Banned
Nice! I wouldn't mind picking up a Collector's Edition. I'll have to check this out today. Do they usually have those magazines on display in the store?

Lol how the hell do they fuck that up? Any bro's across the pond that end up with a free tera they don't want, throw it my way please. :p

I have no idea but Best Buy does this pretty often actually. For people in the states it's definitely worth it to get the subscription. From my year subscription I've already gotten Arkham Asylum for $15, Mass Effect 2 for $5, FFXIII-2 for $15, Kingdoms of Amalur for $10 just to name a few. Also I've gotten a couple of games for free like Tera in the past as well, but I don't remember the titles. Freaking the best deal in gaming in my opinion.

They have the magazines either with the strategy guides or they will definitely have some at the kiosk in front of the gaming section at your BB. It's 14.99 I think for a year subscription and 4.99 per issue.

The regular version will ring up as $0.00 after the coupon scans, while the CE will require a manager override.

Coverly

I've been farming NT for gear the past week. It's really really really easy. The only thing you need to worry about is if your group is not stupid. Remember that your job is block and keep threat, NOT be a damage dealer.

[lots of good stuff]

If you do that, it's a very simple (yet drop-stingy) instance.

Thanks! If I have time tonight I'll try it. When I was 35 I tried CR and my gear didn't let me keep aggro consistently with lvl 42 dps'es until I got way better gear at 38. Hopefully it won't be the same problem. I looked at the lvl 44 gear, but not quite sure if I should just wait till lvl 48+.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks! If I have time tonight I'll try it. When I was 35 I tried CR and my gear didn't let me keep aggro consistently with lvl 42 dps'es until I got way better gear at 38. Hopefully it won't be the same problem. I looked at the lvl 44 gear, but not quite sure if I should just wait till lvl 48+.

As a tank, you will have that issue at the low end of most instances. If you random queue, you get DPS 2+ levels higher than you with gear from that instance or better. It's just part of the experience I guess, haha.

Jomjom

Banned
Can anyone recommend any good resources for beginners? I'm most likely going to create a Priest.

Also, I'm one of those OCD MMO gamers that has to get every single limited time items that I can (i.e. holiday event items, promo items, etc.) Is there a website where I can find that information? Or maybe someone can just name the items that are available right now? So far I've heard of some swimsuits from the summer event and a pack of items for linking my account to Amazon.

EDarkness

Good to see people still playing the game. I'm subbed, but don't play that much since for some reason the VPN I use is spotty, so sometimes I can play fine and others I'm laggin' bad. It's too frustrating to deal with and to hear that they're laying people off just irritates me since I'd play more if I didn't have to worry about VPN issues.

The swimsuits look cool, though. How do we get them?

NeOak

LOL just when I have to travel people that I had to kick from the guild due to zero activity in 2 months suddenly resub D:

Coverly

As a tank, you will have that issue at the low end of most instances. If you random queue, you get DPS 2+ levels higher than you with gear from that instance or better. It's just part of the experience I guess, haha.

Ah, glad it wasn't just me then lol.

Can anyone recommend any good resources for beginners? I'm most likely going to create a Priest.

The game guide section on the main site is actually pretty darn good. I go there all the time for instance information and basic questions.

I resubbed. WHAT HAVE I DONE.
It's funny that it's swimswear that tipped you over the edge to come back. If you ever think of quitting again I bet EME will bust out some form of school uniforms to keep everyone playing.

LOL just when I have to travel people that I had to kick from the guild due to zero activity in 2 months suddenly resub D:
How cruel, you were going to leave us after you declared war on almost every single guild in the server the other night?

Ken

D:

It's funny that it's swimswear that tipped you over the edge to come back. If you ever think of quitting again I bet EME will bust out some form of school uniforms to keep everyone playing.

Maybe!

Honestly the game was fun IMO. I just stopped playing because I had other things to play.

Of course, I didn't reach the levels where trash mobs took time to kill. I stopped a few levels before the something Labryinth I think.

--------

Welp, got into the game, put on some swimsuits, and logged out. @_@

I remember now that it was lag that killed my enjoyment of the game after moving out of the US.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm just over half-way to 48 now. XP is slowing down, but I think that's mostly because I'm questing in zones that are meant for a level or two below me. It speeds up killing, but reward XP isn't as high. Any suggestions on areas I should be working in? Not being able to find groups for the 5-man BAM quests sucks, too...I have to give up a lot of XP for those. Thankfully they aren't ever required for story-line achievements (yet...?).

I also hit 251 on all my gathering professions the other night. I'm glad I leveled those as I went. I should hit 300 as soon as I find a zone to level it in. Hooray for cosmetic flair!

I ran SA last night...I complained about it in guild chat as well, but I'll post my impressions here to see if I'm crazy or merited in my issues.

1) There is SO much trash. Thankfully, the group I was with showed me how you can avoid most of it. But to me, that's just silly...It shouldn't be about threading the needle to avoid playing a 2+ hour instance.

2) The bosses. OK, the first boss wasn't bad (pretty standard fair). The second boss was confusing, but fun. The third boss was...I don't know. I just tanked the Chieftan and the group took care of the rest. I did try and gather the two adds that popped in the later phases. But he attacks quick, so I was getting hit a LOT more than I normally would tanking a boss.

The final boss was my only real gripe, but I blame my group for explaining it to me poorly. First, his patterns were pretty sporadic. That was annoying. I didn't know that when he flashes red that you can see which of the two abilities he's about to use (look above his head...). My group just said, "Watch out for the shock stuff on the ground and move out of it." Cool...I got stunned a lot and ate a lot of damage because of that. Otherwise, he seems like the first TRULY challenging boss to tank. A lot of quick attacks that require reaction and planning.

I can't say I hated the bosses (except the third one...), and I partially blame my low enjoyment of this on my lack of preparation. I probably should have read the fights going into it.

3) Holy ass the loot was terrible. We didn't get any loot from the second boss. The third boss dropped a blue ring that was iLvl lower than quest stuff I had on (8x or so?) and a rune. The other two bosses DID drop one weapon each, so that was nice (for the Archer and Warrior). Hopefully that was just an unlucky run...I really need to gear up a bit.

Overall, I just didn't have fun running SA. I'm going to give it a second (and third, fourth, etc) chance this weekend after hitting 48 I think. My main goal is going to be hitting 50 or so by Sunday. I wouldn't MIND leveling higher, but I don't want to set myself up for failure!

I ran SA last night...I complained about it in guild chat as well, but I'll post my impressions here to see if I'm crazy or merited in my issues.

You aren't. SA is one of the old cap level (56? 58?) instances that En Masse lowered to "fix" gaps while leveling where there's nothing to queue for.

Unfortunately in doing so they eliminated a lot of the original quests and screwed up with redoing the gear to be level appropriate.

I always wait until I'm a couple of levels above the minimum requirement before tanking an instance for that reason.

I've been subbed all this time because of Chronoscrolls. Should I play a weekend just for the swimsuits? How long is that going to last?

The swimsuits are temporary, 30 day items, but there is a Summer achievement that requires the swimsuits which unlocks a permanent set of Sunglasses. You might want to try for that. I think the event ends after this weekend, on August 13th.

Coolwhip

Banned
Having tried this for 7 days now my short review:

Pros:

It looks stunning, some of the best graphics I have seen. The animations, character models and environments are all stunning. The combat is really fun. You actually feel like you are fighting compared to pressing 1-2-3-4 like in for example Wow.

Cons:

The quests are very dull. You kill 5 of this then 5 of that. It bored me after a while. And the social aspect, something I value greatly in an MMO, seemed to be lacking. In 12 levels I didn't need anyone and didn't really work together or interact with anyone.

I pre purchased Guild Wars 2 now, because in the end I think Tera is too much of an 'old style' MMO. I hope GW2 does what it promises, a new and social experience.

Jomjom

Banned
The swimsuits are temporary, 30 day items, but there is a Summer achievement that requires the swimsuits which unlocks a permanent set of Sunglasses. You might want to try for that. I think the event ends after this weekend, on August 13th.

If I start the game today at lvl 1 is there any chance I can finish this quest before it ends on the 13th?

Also on an unrelated note, will I regret it if I play on the PvE server? I heard most of GAF plays on the PvE server?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If I start the game today at lvl 1 is there any chance I can finish this quest before it ends on the 13th?

Also on an unrelated note, will I regret it if I play on the PvE server? I heard most of GAF plays on the PvE server?

You will not regret it, no. The guild is very active on Dragonfall, so if you're playing on US, you'll be good.

Regarding the title/achievement for the Summer Lovin event....Maybe. You'll have to get lucky to find a swimsuit (unless you buy one, like I did, ha). Then you'll have to have enough money to get to the locations (which I'm sure someone would give you since it's less than 1g total flight costs). I don't think you'll have to worry about mob levels since you shouldn't have to be in a dangerous area, but that would be the only other worry.

tl;dr Very likely yes.

Coverly

^ Don't forget you have to kill a bam too while wearing a swimsuit to get the glasses. Dancing in town works, so you don't have to go outside.

Having tried this for 7 days now my short review:

The quests are very dull. You kill 5 of this then 5 of that. It bored me after a while. And the social aspect, something I value greatly in an MMO, seemed to be lacking. In 12 levels I didn't need anyone and didn't really work together or interact with anyone.

The social aspect is there, it just doesn't kick in until the later teen levels when you are asked to kill your first bam. Not long after that, at level 20, you can start running instances with others and then it never ends. But I get you, until lvl 18 or so, it was so boring (and slow) soloing on the lancer. But once I got to instances opened up it was a completely different game.

Until you need to group up to kill one of those big mobs (bams), it's fairly standard. You don't have to group and you can easily solo. But of you start doing bams and instances, suddenly you start grouping a lot, and depending on how social you are, running up to random people and asking if they want to group.

The majority of bams I did with random people, who were simply in the area at the time I needed help. I was only declined once in the hundreds of times I asked to party, and most of the time people were eager to knock down the quest with others because they needed it too. Some were really helpful too, helping people kill bigger mobs even though they didn't need that particular quest. Bams and the quests related to them appear at all levels, so there will be always something to kill that requires grouping.

The automatic matching system that the game uses once you start doing instances, at least for me, has allowed me to meet way too many people. The system even matches you from people in other servers if it can't find the proper roles on yours. With my lancer, I leveled up doing instances only. It's a bit slower than solo questing, but I think it's way more fun. I keep up with the story quest chain, but otherwise stick to instances.

I know people's social experiences vary but for me, there is rarely a time when I'm not in a group. I've been in other mmos where that wasn't the case and quit because of it though, but in this one it was somewhat easy to group like crazy once bams and instances were available. So if you have some time left in the trial, try to get to the place where you have to kill bams as a quest and give that type of grouping a try.

Rinoa

Argh I need to get this stuff but I'm never home the past few weeks. I'm also still subbed thanks to Chronoscrolls, otherwise I wouldn't pay.

Jomjom

Banned
You will not regret it, no. The guild is very active on Dragonfall, so if you're playing on US, you'll be good.

Regarding the title/achievement for the Summer Lovin event....Maybe. You'll have to get lucky to find a swimsuit (unless you buy one, like I did, ha). Then you'll have to have enough money to get to the locations (which I'm sure someone would give you since it's less than 1g total flight costs). I don't think you'll have to worry about mob levels since you shouldn't have to be in a dangerous area, but that would be the only other worry.

tl;dr Very likely yes.

Awesome thanks! Who do I talk to by the way to get into the GAF guild?

Damn. Okay, I guess I'll have to put Skyrim on hold for a day or two. The swimsuits is just like the eggs, you just run around and open boxes until you get them?

Ken

The swimsuits are great. Worth the 1 month resub even if I don't actually play for more than 5 minutes. (Y)

Coverly

Just hit level 17 and so far it's pretty good I hope I can get out of this Lumber town area soon though.
Nice. Did you end up picking the lancer like you said? Did you apply for the gaf guild?

I've done about three runs of NT now and I'm happy in that I've been able to hold hate consistently. What I don't like though is that the bosses there still like to do random attacks even if you're the target of hate. Otherwise really easy instance.

Top Bottom