• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

On that patch.. they nerfed warrior tank buffs? whyyyyyy!? it wasn't op was it?

They are going to continue reducing the LFG/LFD buffs until the Argon Queen update in August. I imagine that once Warriors get their new block ability, they won't receive any tanking buffs at all.

Haven't played since my free month ran out. Is now a good time to jump back in or not?

I would wait until after the Argon Queen update in August.

Have they still not started some kind of trial yet? EU side, latency was a bit rough on the US servers beta.

There should be a 7 day trial available in the US.

Lucis

Jumping? isn't that spacebar? or do you mean jumping while casting a spell? What's your character name?

Out of curiosity I made a sorc yesterday and loved it way more than the slayer I had made the other week. I couldn't quite get slayer, the regular attack feels like it's cutting through air, like it has no weight. But what I did like about the slayer is that it cut through multiple mobs fairly easy.

On that patch.. they nerfed warrior tank buffs? whyyyyyy!? it wasn't op was it?

My char is Lucisia, will be on tonight starting around 7pm pst (hopefully if i don't get off work late)
Yes casting while jumping is what I meant. instant spell with no cast time (well a lot of the spell here has no cast time i guess and there's no cast bar) is castable in a lot of mmo while moving or jumping

Jumping? isn't that spacebar? or do you mean jumping while casting a spell? What's your character name?

You can jump, but you can't do anything while jumping (except spin the camera around) and if you get hit while jumping it's an automatic knockdown.

I actually had to rebind the chain key to something other than the jump key because I'd miss my Shield Counter as a Lancer and do a jump in front of the boss instead. ouch

Yes casting while jumping is what I meant. instant spell with no cast time (well a lot of the spell here has no cast time i guess and there's no cast bar) is castable in a lot of mmo while moving or jumping

Nothing's really instant cast though, every attack has an animation, which takes the place of the global cooldown you'd see in MMORPGs.

Coverly

I actually had to rebind the chain key to something other than the jump key because I'd miss my Shield Counter as a Lancer and do a jump in front of the boss instead. ouch

lol, know that feeling very well.

teraderp.jpg

I have derp eyes. Penny Arcade and Gaf working together.

The guy was great and even though we were both lancers we were able to take down the bam behind us in respectable time. At first he tanked and I hit from behind, but I died because I couldn't predict the bam's aoe debuff. After that we both tanked it from the front, blocking when his eyes flashed red and then went to town on it on any other type of hit. He was really nice too, he stayed for more bams than he needed because we ran into a priest that needed the quest from scratch. Other than that I really hate that area, glad I'm almost done with it.

Before partying with him I saw a duo (warrior/mystic?) attacking one of the bams when the warrior went down. The bam was staying right on the dead body so the mystic couldn't revive. I tried hating it to pull it away and it worked. Took the bam to the side, the mystic rezzed, and they killed it with me(not in group) drawing hate on it for the remainder of the fight. Love random events.

Cool patch. Though it wont download for me for some reasons last night. Had to keep restarting the launcher. Works now. All good.

Coverly, yea, I just finished that area. It's not one of my favourite places, either. Now moving on to the orisks and the basilisks at the desert. Thankfully!

Those spiders are chewy, but I found that fighting with the wall behind my zerker's back works really well. After I figured that out, it was mostly just watching its tells and blocking appropriately. Not the most glamourous technique to take them down, but I finally finished soloing all five of them.

Did you give the Hydrath monster (the one with floating snake tentacle arms) a go in that mine? She was also fun to solo.

Increased the drop rates in FoK and BT. They should have did this a week after launch, not after the playerbase has already mostly quit.

I see the zerker buffs have been added too. Looks exactly the same as what was added to K-Tera a month ago, with little result from what I heard.

Increased the drop rates in FoK and BT. They should have did this a week after launch, not after the playerbase has already mostly quit.

I see the zerker buffs have been added too. Looks exactly the same as what was added to K-Tera a month ago, with little result from what I heard.

I logged in and tested the charging speed. Glyphed Cyclone and Thunderstrike are pretty fast now but I can't see it making that big of a difference in overall damage output in dungeons. The Cyclone AOE damage adjustment and Unchained Anger HP reduction is nice.

This will make Berserker even stronger in group PVP but not much else. Still not enough.

Coverly

I didn't notice on Robok's patch post that the increased in drops also included normal modes for instances. We ran a normal fok yesterday and it was like christmas. Finally, these instances are worth doing.

Over the weekend I had run fok/bt/tot strait and only got a cheap ring for my trouble, it really sucked. But now it looks like I'll be queuing a lot more. I wish they would have also upped the drop rate on lower instances, because on some SM runs nothing would drop, and that's terrible.

Lucis

I read some where about those instance have cool downs?
is that true even for normal mode?
I can understand if hard mode have cool down though.

How hard would it be gearing up to t12/13 for hardmode pve? I used to be pretty hardcore on WOW PVE (server first all the way through bc, including kj and stuff) and eventually got a bit more casual on the seroius side (heroic everything in wotlk and most of the cata) on a 2-3 night schedule. I really want to get into the end game PVE stuff at 60. I know there aren't that much content yet but would you consider it harder or easier than wow? and at what level? pre nerf heroic 5 man? normal raid? heroic raid?

Coverly

I read some where about those instance have cool downs?
is that true even for normal mode?
I can understand if hard mode have cool down though.

How hard would it be gearing up to t12/13 for hardmode pve? I used to be pretty hardcore on WOW PVE (server first all the way through bc, including kj and stuff) and eventually got a bit more casual on the seroius side (heroic everything in wotlk and most of the cata) on a 2-3 night schedule. I really want to get into the end game PVE stuff at 60. I know there aren't that much content yet but would you consider it harder or easier than wow? and at what level? pre nerf heroic 5 man? normal raid? heroic raid?

All instances have cool downs. The early level ones you won't notice them, because the cool down begins when you start the instance, not when you end it. So if the cool down for an instance is an hour, you might be able to go back right away if you took longer than that to beat it. If you use the game's party matching system it also cuts the cool down by half as an incentive to use the matching system, so you could literally instance continually if you cycle between instances properly. But if you have a static and group manually, the traditional 6 hour cool down for high level instances can be a killer.

It's not hard to gear up to minimum hard mode, and by that I mean your gear at least +6, proper stats for each, and proper crystals. On my healer it cost me around 12-14k to get all that, and it could have been cheaper if i didn't get really back luck on trying to get the best stats possible. But I had that much money once I hit 60. 8k in gold, 4k+ in mats saved up over 60 levels. I had spent no more than 400 gold in gear leveling to 60, mostly buying blues that were really cheap for robes and staff, and quest gear for the rest. So if you level up with blues you'll be fine. You will level up so fast that it's not worth spending a lot of gold for gear that you won't need in a few days. Also make sure to sell your stuff at the AH. Anything that can give you a 20% or more profit than the vendor is worth selling. At lower level it will seem like peanuts, but it's also about building a habit of selling. So if you stick to blues and use the AH properly, you should be able to gear yourself without any problems.

The only other advice I would give you is that you should start shopping around for your gear once you hit 50+. If you wait till you hit 60 then you might be at a bad point in the market where you could have gotten your gear much cheaper a week or two before.

It's completely random.

You can run Fane of Kaprima three times and get all three pieces of T12 gear. You could also spend weeks before seeing one of those pieces drop. It's the same with Balder's Temple and the T12 weapon.

Once you have the gear, enchanting it is also completely random. +6 is for the most part cheap, and doesn't take long at all. Getting past +6 can easily be an exercise in frustration. This assumes you're successful in getting the bonuses you want on the gear itself, which can take dozens of rolls.

Given the fact that stuff is dropping a lot more now, it shouldn't be as bad as it used to be, although the best way to get the equipment is to simply buy it off the Auction House. It's much easier to farm the money to buy outright than to try and win it the normal way. Unfortunately this leads to situations where you run into players who are decked out and yet have no clue what they are doing.

Ironically because Healers and Tanks are in short supply, they tend to generally be good. It's DPS that have the issues, because two of the end game dungeons (Balder's Temple and Temple of Temerity) are hard DPS checks.

Lucis

Thanks for the info.
I do not think I'll have problem performing as long as the gear isn't too shabby. If it's not hard to get min gear to pass gear check I think it would not be a problem. The GAF Believe guild is pretty big also and i am guessing fairly active compare to other guilds? I see quite a few people on at night time.

Got to level 20 =) It's really fun combat. Sorc kinda rapes with all the spell chain you can do, especially flame barrage, makes level so easy because of the crazy damage (drains mana though, but it also fills up so fast)

Cant' wait for my instance runs

Ryuuga

Banned
I logged in and tested the charging speed. Glyphed Cyclone and Thunderstrike are pretty fast now but I can't see it making that big of a difference in overall damage output in dungeons. The Cyclone AOE damage adjustment and Unchained Anger HP reduction is nice.

This will make Berserker even stronger in group PVP but not much else. Still not enough.

Yeah, I just logged into test it myself. It's a start, but not enough to really remedy the core issues with the class. That said, I've also started to feel crushed under foot by the depressing state of endgame. I'm likely to come back during QoA2 because the venture for the best gear will be rendered obsolete and will probably make those capable of doing so broke because of the money sink that is enchanting. I've been made out to be a pariah by my static because I'm not able to spend every bit of my free time on TERA, so see you guys at QoA2.

Yeah, I just logged into test it myself. It's a start, but not enough to really remedy the core issues with the class. That said, I've also started to feel crushed under foot by the depressing state of endgame. I'm likely to come back during QoA2 because the venture for the best gear will be rendered obsolete and will probably make those capable of doing so broke because of the money sink that is enchanting. I've been made out to be a pariah by my static because I'm not able to spend every bit of my free time on TERA, so see you guys at QoA2.

Not true. You'd need enchanted T12 at a minimum for the new dungeons, and T13 can only help. It's not a gear reset like the level 58 to 60 change was.

As for money, prices of everything are pretty much in freefall right now so getting gear is way easier than it's ever been.

Coverly

Thanks for the info.
I do not think I'll have problem performing as long as the gear isn't too shabby. If it's not hard to get min gear to pass gear check I think it would not be a problem. The GAF Believe guild is pretty big also and i am guessing fairly active compare to other guilds? I see quite a few people on at night time.

It is really easy to pass gear checks, I don't think you will every have a problem with this until endgame.

Got to level 20 =) It's really fun combat. Sorc kinda rapes with all the spell chain you can do, especially flame barrage, makes level so easy because of the crazy damage (drains mana though, but it also fills up so fast)
Cant' wait for my instance runs

My sorc is still in noob island but it was so easy to kill multiple mobs, i can see how it could be even better at higher levels. That really is a fun class.

I"m really stuck on my lancer at lvl 35. Previously I was using instances to level, skipping all yellow quests and only finishing the story quests and it was great. An instance would net me 50%+ of my level xp (sometimes much higher), and though the drops sucked, the exp was great. But it's not like that anymore. The 35 instance, Cultist's Refuge is not worth it because
- only get around 20% exp of my current level for an hour's play.
- under-geared. Previous rare gear was at lvl 27, way too low for CR, but the next rare gear set is at lvl 38, so I can't properly equip until 3 more levels.
- because i have low gear, I loose aggro and get hit harder than I would like. It's embarrassing to lose aggro, but not much you can do when you have level 40's doing crits one after another. My MP is constantly nil because of this. I had a lvl 33 or so blue lance with 3 aggro crystals and it wasn't enough.

I've ran CR twice and our groups never had a problem clearing them despite all this, but the dismal xp gains for that much amount of time makes it not worth it. So then I tried doing regular quests in Val Aureum and it is just as slow. Lancers against multiple mobs just sucks. There really isn't any fun in that. You take a long time killing a mob with minions and even longer if you block properly. I can't believe that it was a couple times faster on my healer to kill the same mobs in the area.

Since today is a friday I'm thinking of shouting in area to group with others to do the quests and do as many as possible to get to lvl 38(so i can wear something decent). Otherwise it's going to be a long and tedious climb to the goal: be 38 and get the repeatable quests for CR.

Aside from that, everybody should play a drinking game today. Every time you see an elin with a swimsuit and glasses, take a shot. You might run out of alcohol though, good luck!

I"m really stuck on my lancer at lvl 35. Previously I was using instances to level, skipping all yellow quests and only finishing the story quests and it was great. An instance would net me 50%+ of my level xp (sometimes much higher), and though the drops sucked, the exp was great. But it's not like that anymore. The 35 instance, Cultist's Refuge is not worth it because
- only get around 20% exp of my current level for an hour's play.

It only gets worse. Mob experience rewards drop off a cliff the higher you level, you need to complete quests if you want to get anywhere.

Ryuuga

Banned
Not true. You'd need enchanted T12 at a minimum for the new dungeons, and T13 can only help. It's not a gear reset like the level 58 to 60 change was.

As for money, prices of everything are pretty much in freefall right now so getting gear is way easier than it's ever been.

I've had a full enchanced T13 armor/T13 weapon combo for weeks now, I guess I'm fine. I was referring more to the dreamkeeper equipment.

Coverly

Hmm.. So the swimsuits are now at the novelty store. 10 bucks for a 3-pack (except for one). I thought they were going to be really stingy and offer 1 per 10 bucks. Male Baraka has the best swimsuit I think. Not crazy about any of the glasses though.

Coverly

I can't even tell if this is a swimsuit or regular armor for Castanics.
bikinidance.jpg

Got the Lancer to 38 thanks to a random quest pug group yesterday that swept through the areas. 38 gear is so nice. Swept and aggro'ed CR like a boss.

Scum

I was still getting gold drops from CR with my lvl 60 Castanic Warrior, so I decided to raid the dungeon a few times to gear up my two alts, an Elin Sorceress [lvl 40 now] and Castanic Slayer [lvl 29 at the mo]. I can't wait to get my Slayer in a +6 lvl 38 gear. :3

I can't even tell if this is a swimsuit or regular armor for Castanics.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/jdcoverly/bikinidance.jpg[IMG]

Got the Lancer to 38 thanks to a random quest pug group yesterday that swept through the areas. 38 gear is so nice. Swept and aggro'ed CR like a boss.[/QUOTE]
lol

Nekofrog

Banned
Random thought that I had while playing earlier as I recalled other MMOs I had played in the past:

does anyone feel like the game's locations would feel more "vibrant" or "alive" if the game had a day/night system/cycle?

Every other MMO I've ever played had one. Kind of gets old going to the same zones and having them always look 100% the same.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can you race change from a Popori to an Elin or vice versa, or from a male/female anything else to a male/female only race? And if you do, does it give you a totally new appearance creation?

NeOak

Can you race change from a Popori to an Elin or vice versa, or from a male/female anything else to a male/female only race? And if you do, does it give you a totally new appearance creation?

You can race change to anything. And afaik yeah, you can remake the char when you race change.

Also, finally you're unbanned lol

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You can race change to anything. And afaik yeah, you can remake the char when you race change.

Also, finally you're unbanned lol

Yeah...Took a while. -_- I re-subbed to TERA finally as well. :) I was getting bored of just about everything else and decided it was time to come back, haha.

NeOak

Yeah...Took a while. -_- I re-subbed to TERA finally as well. :) I was getting bored of just about everything else and decided it was time to come back, haha.

lol Ragingnight is the only one that is around from the original officers. The rest are gone with the wind...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
lol Ragingnight is the only one that is around from the original officers. The rest are gone with the wind...

Figured as much. :) I was going to wait it out more, but the combat is simply too good in TERA. I re-apped for Believe, so when someone finally logs in, if there's room...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I remember why I loved this game so much at release. I played for like, 5 straight hours yesterday night. The combat is SO fun and SO good.

Coverly

Random thought that I had while playing earlier as I recalled other MMOs I had played in the past:

does anyone feel like the game's locations would feel more "vibrant" or "alive" if the game had a day/night system/cycle?

Every other MMO I've ever played had one. Kind of gets old going to the same zones and having them always look 100% the same.

I would love rain and snow to be put in, or any type of environmental filter. Grass too, ground is a bit flat. Some zones look gorgeous though, especially the night environments, specifically because they were tailored to look their best with those conditions.

Coolwhip said:
So what do people think of this game after a few months? I'm thinking of trying this or waiting for GW2.

Definitely try it. Free 7 day trial so it's not costing you anything.
Opinions differ. I think everyone mostly agrees that this game is a lot of fun getting to 60. Once you hit 60 though you have varied opinions and concerns. If you want some great breakdowns and critical analysis of certain aspects at endgame, look back the last few pages and read any post made by Unknown Soldier because he's made some really great informative posts.

Personally I'm still having a lot to do at end game. On my to-do lists are crafting, hard modes, and enchanting. I haven't had time to do any of those properly. Right now I'm running instances on my healer to farm money and on weekdays I level up my Lancer alt and that takes up all my time. It also helps to be in a very active guild. Groups run all the time and it is fairly easy to pick up a group. The servers are really active on weekends, when it's almost guaranteed to be insta-queue'd to an instance (well as my experience as a healer). So if you wanted to try out the game, start out on a friday night or saturday to see lots of activity.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just purchased this online and downloading now. I am thinking of trying out the lancer class it looks pretty cool.

Lancer is a blast, but you will hate your life in the mid levels. Leveling is slow and almost requires a partner. I just came back after my free month expired and hit 44 last night. It's going to be a slow grind, but if you find someone to run with you, it'll be sweet. The biggest bonus of rolling a Lancer is insta-queues for instances.

Lucis

When I finish my Sorc I'm going to roll a lancer, it'd be nice if someone would like to level together for the alt, fast queue for instances ;)

Does Believe allow alts?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
When I finish my Sorc I'm going to roll a lancer, it'd be nice if someone would like to level together for the alt, fast queue for instances ;)

Does Believe allow alts?

Yes, alts are allowed, but I don't know how many (at least last I remember!).

Coverly

Oh my...8 hours played tonight. :(

I need to upgrade some gear, but I haven't seen anything drop in NT for me yet.

Really 8 hrs? holy crap. What's your name in the game?

Drop rates in lower levels are really sad compared to what drops at 60 now. Had a nightgown drop but sad that it will only sell for half of what it used to. I think the way I primarily made money in my 40's and 50's was just questing. I did get a random lucky drop from instances, but that was very rare and not to be relied upon.

Had a great time with guildies last night. Sorry if I mispell, but I think it was Ricohet, Eugina, and Fallen. Ran FoK twice and got lots of goodies out of it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Character name is Nicoga. I want to hit cap before the next big patch, so I'll be playing pretty hard the coming weeks!

And as a tank, I know that my gear is pretty critical when trying to not die in instances. I'd like to be at least slightly geared up prior to entering a new instance.

Cmagus

My character is Eight Corova on Dragonfall although I am still only low level. Also a question about this summer event swimwear.Do you have to buy it in their store or can it be obtained in the game somehow?

Coverly

My character is Eight Corova on Dragonfall although I am still only low level. Also a question about this summer event swimwear.Do you have to buy it in their store or can it be obtained in the game somehow?

You can get it in the game. Once you leave the island and begin quests in the areas surrounding Lumbertown, you'll notice this chest:
teraprize.jpg

attack it and it will give you an egg present. If you open it, it'll give you a random item. It can be basic stuff like fireworks or if you're really lucky a swimsuit (but it might not be for your race,gender, or color). It's not a permanent swimsuit, it will only last you 30 days. If you want a permanent one, you'll have to buy it with real money from their novelty store. If you get lucky and get one that's sought after you could sell it in the auction house and make some really great money for your level.

So if you see that chest, get it before others do! They appear randomly, look for them as you level.

If you're in dragonfall apply to the gaf guild believe if you like. It will make lower levels go faster if you have guild chat to read while you level.

Vodh

Downloading the trial version now, I guess I'll pick the Essenia server. Which melee DPS class is both good and fun to play?

Top Bottom