• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh girl, get to 60 so you can come to Nexus and enjoy the lagfest.

In other news, Nexus is daily now:

• Sunday noon
  • Sunday 5 p.m.
  • Monday 5 p.m.
  • Tuesday noon
  • Wednesday 5 p.m.
  • Thursday noon
  • Friday 6 p.m.
  • Friday 9 p.m.
  • Saturday 5 p.m.
  • Saturday 9 p.m.

All times PST.

Oh nice, I'll be able to do Tuesday and Thursday.

cilonen

My toon (formerly "Misu") is now named Acorn. I got booted out of Believe during the Summer due to inactivity, but I am hoping to play more now!

What is exciting and new in TERA nowadays? I'm kinda sad I missed the Summer events. Hopefully there will be something for Halloween or Christmas.

They've promised stuff for Halloween certainly. Most of us got 'Glitzy Masks' for 24 hours as an item glitch following the merge - they were due to be released as part of a Masquerade Costume Ball event which is still on the cards.

Visceir

During the past few months the only time I've logged in is shortly before my subscription ended to buy another chrono scroll and extend my play time. I got the reminded that it's about to expire again...

When will the next big update for the korean version happen? Do we know what new stuff it will bring?

Rinoa

They've promised stuff for Halloween certainly. Most of us got 'Glitzy Masks' for 24 hours as an item glitch following the merge - they were due to be released as part of a Masquerade Costume Ball event which is still on the cards.

If this means full on costumes in addition to masquerade masks, I'M SO EXCITED!

NeOak

So voting for vanarchy ends today.

A girl in one of the guilds that we are allied with has held her vote and will vote for me today
in exchange, i have to cyber with her :/

Most expensive vote ever :<

cilonen

A girl in one of the guilds that we are allied with has held her vote and will vote for me today

I can only offer you the traditional advice of my people ... "Lie back and think of England".

o7

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

This better be in /global.

Thanks for the invite.

I had forgotten how much fun this game was from 1 to 60, or how awesome it is being a cute Ellin. Why did you fail so hard at endgame and PvP, Bluehole?

Feelin' the same thing here. I started a Berserker on Tempest Reach, and kind of got hooked again. Love so much about this game. I'm actually kind of glad I never made it to 60 so never quite felt the endgame burn.

Thanks for the invite.

I had forgotten how much fun this game was from 1 to 60, or how awesome it is being a cute Ellin. Why did you fail so hard at endgame and PvP, Bluehole?

Short answer: probably. I need to know more about it's endgame, RNG and it's combat. It still has some form of tab targeting IIRC.

The game uses a crosshair for target acquisition. I'm not sure if you can lock targets like Priest heals/sleep.

I feel like rolling a slayer. Priest is still at 23, but Slayer is one of the classes I never got the ball rolling with.

So.

With the news of Blade&Soul's localization for the west.

Are any of you guys planning on playing it?

I'll be playing but I'm going to keep my expectations low. I've been following the game for a while and it looks like a lot of fun. I like the character designs and the heavy martial arts influence is very appealing to me.

ArchAge Online is what I'm really waiting for though. It doesn't use an action combat system but the gameplay looks totally insane. Sieges, underwater exploration, farming, crafting, building and navigating boats and ships, hang gliding, dinosaur mounts, etc. It's like a Korean Guild Wars 2, only more awesome. Hopefully the localization is good!

The game uses a crosshair for target acquisition. I'm not sure if you can lock targets like Priest heals/sleep.

Depends on the ability, but from what I've seen very few are lock on. Even a Priest's heals are mostly circles you have to aim by being in the right spot.

Edit: For Tera anyway, not sure if that's what is being discussed. :p

Rinoa

So.

With the news of Blade&Soul's localization for the west.

Are any of you guys planning on playing it?

I played it and it was terrible compared to TERA. The only good unique things were flying around and 'eating' items. I used to like Hyung Tae Kim before his designs went down the shitter, too.

Reikon

I just got to 60 and the end game grind seems so ridiculous that I don't even really want to try. But then again, I never do the end game grind in MMOs.

NeOak

Soul declared GvG on us because the damn PvP status is bugged and now the guild is perma "Battle Ready" status.

Already submitted a ticket and a GM escalated it to a bug report, but who knows how long will that take.

You do a dungeon many times to get gear/enchanting fodder so you can enchant up to the next dungeon. Repeat.

BGs.

That's pretty much all. (I consider Nexus to be basically another dungeon.)

It's amazing how bad the endgame dungeons are and how they throw away all the good things about Tera's combat system for the bosses you fight.

There's actually only 1 BG map right now. And PvP is so crazy unbalanced that there's almost no point to doing BGs unless you only run in a pre-made group which knows how to exploit the broken PvP mechanics to roll your randomly assembled opposition.

Nexus is basically stand around while your computer runs at 3 fps and wait for large mobs to die for an hour. Now that they have finally increased Nexus times to twice every day, this means if you are really crazy you can stand around for 2 hours every day, and doing this for some reason gets you PvP gear. Why? Who the fuck knows. The best part is, even if you aren't participating in a Nexus and aren't even in the same zone, if you are logged on during one, no matter where you are in the world, you're going to get horrendous lag because of terrible EME's servers are.

Reikon

It's amazing how bad the endgame dungeons are and how they throw away all the good things about Tera's combat system for the bosses you fight.

There's actually only 1 BG map right now. And PvP is so crazy unbalanced that there's almost no point to doing BGs unless you only run in a pre-made group which knows how to exploit the broken PvP mechanics to roll your randomly assembled opposition.

Nexus is basically stand around while your computer runs at 3 fps and wait for large mobs to die for an hour. Now that they have finally increased Nexus times to twice every day, this means if you are really crazy you can stand around for 2 hours every day, and doing this for some reason gets you PvP gear. Why? Who the fuck knows. The best part is, even if you aren't participating in a Nexus and aren't even in the same zone, if you are logged on during one, no matter where you are in the world, you're going to get horrendous lag because of terrible EME's servers are.

I really hate all the ways you can get one shot in level 60 dungeons, especially as a cloth user. I'm having more fun just playing old dungeons on alts.

Speaking of lag, I've been getting really annoying lag lately. My ping spikes anywhere from 500-5000, making it nearly impossible to play at times. I don't even want to try anymore sometimes.

Westlo

I stopped playing this game because the end game gearing is so bad, not to mention that Nexus times were just not happening for me being Australian.

cilonen

Soul declared GvG on us because the damn PvP status is bugged and now the guild is perma "Battle Ready" status.

Already submitted a ticket and a GM escalated it to a bug report, but who knows how long will that take.

How long does that status (their declaration) last for? 24 hours? I'll be out until that's up :)

Edit: oh wait, I can just stay in town, right? I may pop on later.

aett

You do a dungeon many times to get gear/enchanting fodder so you can enchant up to the next dungeon. Repeat.

BGs.

That's pretty much all. (I consider Nexus to be basically another dungeon.)

That sounds a LOT like the endgame in SWTOR. You basically do dailies for a while to get some equipment to better survive hard-mode versions of dungeons from earlier in the game, which have a chance to drop higher-tier equipment. Repeat this for a while until you're geared up enough to take on the hardest operations (raids), which will eventually get you the highest tiers of endgame equipment.

Fortunately, you can very gradually collect items that can be traded for some of the tiers of equipment, which is good because while I'm able to do a dungeon or three every week, there's no way I could try and schedule doing an 8- or 16-man raid. The downside is that doing the same dungeons over and over for weeks gets really old.

I guess my question to the MMO community at large is: did vanilla WoW have a good or bad endgame? If it was bad, did nobody care because it was the first MMORPG of its kind (as opposed to how nearly every MMORPG is at least loosely based off of WoW)? And, as someone who has never played WoW past level 20, what makes its endgame so good compared to all these other games where people hate the endgame? This probably deserves its own thread. :p

I guess my question to the MMO community at large is: did vanilla WoW have a good or bad endgame? If it was bad, did nobody care because it was the first MMORPG of its kind (as opposed to how nearly every MMORPG is at least loosely based off of WoW)? And, as someone who has never played WoW past level 20, what makes its endgame so good compared to all these other games where people hate the endgame? This probably deserves its own thread. :p

Vanilla WoW had a terrible endgame. It did great because even though it sucked it was still much better when compared to what existed at the time - EverQuest and Final Fantasy XI.

As for what makes it better, well, it's really the same. Get to the level cap, grind reputation for gear, run dungeons for better gear, run raids for the best gear. The difference is in the execution. Every time an expansion comes out end game is "reset" and everyone is starting over from scratch. When they release a new tier, you don't have to grind your way up the ladder to get to that tier.

Also if you don't care about running dungeons and raids, they have more stuff to do beyond that, along with a ton of battlegrounds and arena matches.

The big issue with Tera is two fold: Your options are limited (two dungeons, one quasi-raid, one battleground) and even if you successfully complete a dungeon there's no guarantee you'll get anything out of it.

I don't really follow the EnMasse forums that closely. Are they fairly aware of all these issues that are brought up? It just seemed like they always had some degree of flexibility with the NA version, and were willing to implement changes to make the game "better". Maybe it's a resource issue now that the game has technically bombed....

I don't really follow the EnMasse forums that closely. Are they fairly aware of all these issues that are brought up? It just seemed like they always had some degree of flexibility with the NA version, and were willing to implement changes to make the game "better". Maybe it's a resource issue now that the game has technically bombed....

Yes, they are aware. There's supposed to be an enchanting "fix" next week. No idea if it helps.

(I have a six month subscription that doesn't expire until December but I haven't logged in for over a month now.)

aett

Vanilla WoW had a terrible endgame. It did great because even though it sucked it was still much better when compared to what existed at the time - EverQuest and Final Fantasy XI.

As for what makes it better, well, it's really the same. Get to the level cap, grind reputation for gear, run dungeons for better gear, run raids for the best gear. The difference is in the execution. Every time an expansion comes out end game is "reset" and everyone is starting over from scratch. When they release a new tier, you don't have to grind your way up the ladder to get to that tier.

Also if you don't care about running dungeons and raids, they have more stuff to do beyond that, along with a ton of battlegrounds and arena matches.

The big issue with Tera is two fold: Your options are limited (two dungeons, one quasi-raid, one battleground) and even if you successfully complete a dungeon there's no guarantee you'll get anything out of it.

I guess the problem that everyone has with every MMO since WoW is that they aren't current-day WoW when they launch, which (of course) is impossible. Granted, I think that only two endgame dungeons in TERA is pretty bare -- ESPECIALLY because the game has been out in Korea for some time already -- but it's extremely unreasonable for people to expect to get the same amount of content that WoW has developed over several years with a brand-new game.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Besides continuously adding new content for maxed out people to run, what I would like any MMO to do is to make the game in such a way that people can create their own gameplay/activities - be more sandboxy. This could mean making the roleplay element more important than looting and gear grind. Or allowing user-created content.

Something I miss in TERA are special and unique events. In WoW and City of Heroes you'd have mobs of creatures suddenly attacking a certain town for instance.

I guess the problem that everyone has with every MMO since WoW is that they aren't current-day WoW when they launch, which (of course) is impossible. Granted, I think that only two endgame dungeons in TERA is pretty bare -- ESPECIALLY because the game has been out in Korea for some time already -- but it's extremely unreasonable for people to expect to get the same amount of content that WoW has developed over several years with a brand-new game.

It wasn't helped by EnMasse making some short term changes that ended up causing long term pain. Things like the eggs (chance of rare items) and the boxes (possibly convert useless crystals into good ones) were seen as too "gambling" like to keep around but they never took into account the changes there would be in the market as a result.

It really sucks to die in a dungeon run due to some random crap (and really at the end game you're either 100% or dead) and lose a 500g crystal only to get nothing useful out of it.

They also stripped out the crafting quests but crafting was never meant to be leveled by making stuff - the individual costs for a single item are absurd.

A lot of stuff from end game is also Bind-on-Equip, meaning it is easier to farm gold and buy your gear off of the AH than it is to run dungeons and get the drop.

Many little things at the end game have all added up. They're attempting to fix all of this (crafting quests are back) but who knows if the game will recover.

Tera was out in Korea for nearly 1 and 1/2 years when it launched in North America and Europe. It was anything but a brand new game. There are no excuses for how content-thin it was at endgame when it had the Western launch.

Korea had 2 patches to buff Zerker. That's what is coming.

I've gotten a cute squirrel Elin Slayer to level 40. It's amazing how much more powerful and versatile a Slayer is than a Zerker. Not only do I have much more consistent DPS, I also have two stuns which works 100% of the time even on bosses and all my attacks have the potential to knockdown. I literally spend most of my time soloing standing over between 2 and 4 mobs which all prone just whaling on them until they get up and then I just knock them down again. I have a dash and a forward rush and I get a backstab at 56. All my important skills combo into Overhead Strike which has a chance to reset the cool down with a glyph. It happens a lot too, i've done it 4 times in a row chained to a skill in succession. This class is so hilariously OP compared to Zerker.

cilonen

Going by the posts on the official forums, it looks like the patch has fucked the servers up.

Edit: yup, unable to connect to server. Come on, there's supposed to be a nexus in 1 hr and 52 mins.

NeOak

The server was up for an hour. Lots of enchanting successes, T14 blue weapon fodder disappeared from the broker and then the server was taken down for "corrective maintenance"

Edit: I failed all my attempts, so i listed the fodder i had left. Should have done it for all the fodder, but oh well...

Edit2: its up!

cilonen

The server was up for an hour. Lots of enchanting successes, T14 blue weapon fodder disappeared from the broker and then the server was taken down for "corrective maintenance"

Oh fuck. I missed my window of opportunity :/ I only want to go from +8 to +9.

Edit: yay!

Top Bottom