• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

cilonen

Server down, server down!

I got my +9 though in the five mins it was up :D

Edit: dreading the "yeah, we're going to have to roll back those 5 mins..."

NeOak

edxhy.png

5mUXw.png

2Luq5.png

r3giR.png

Fuck yeah! lol

Berserker patch day!

Out of curiosity, I actually went to Tirkai Woods last night and killed the mugatos for about half an hour last night before the patch. Then I repeated the same farming method after the patch tonight.

On a fundamental level, the changes to Zerkers that Bluehole has made seem to be derived from how people play Slayers. Everything that Slayer does chains into Overhead Strike, except for OS itself which chains into Measured Slice. So when I play my Slayer just soloing the quest mobs, I'll do Knockdown Attack -> OS -> Leaping Strike, then Whirlwind -> OS, then Heart Thrust -> OS, then Stunning Backhand -> OS. However, what makes Slayer so powerful is the fact that you get a glyph which grants 20% chance of cooldown reset on OS. So what actually happens a lot for me is KA -> OS -> LS -> OS -> WW -> OS -> HT -> OS SB -> OS in a single chain without interruption because of how often OS's cooldown resets. If anything is actually alive after this, a quick Fury Strike usually sorts out the last bit of the mob's HP bar. Playing Slayer is like watching a lawnmower cutting down the mobs like grass.

So, what BHS did with Zerker was basically pattern it after how Slayers play. Vampiric Blow has become the de-facto Zerker OS, as the base damage was buffed and it now chains directly out of Cyclone, Lethal Strike, and TS. You can even interrupt your Cyclone before it finishes to chain it into VB. It doesn't require charging at all when chained for full damage, but the healing effect is lower. This makes it effectively the same as Slayer's OS with the 3% healing glyph. However, the flaw here is that there is still no glyph that gives VB a 20% chance to reset it's cooldown. So you can't chain Cyclone -> VB -> TS -> VB -> LS -> VB like a Slayer chains OS. This means a Zerker still can't spam chained skills the way a Slayer can for maximum burst DPS output. The idea is sound but incomplete.

The other thing that BHS did to help make Zerkers attack faster was give Flurry of Blows a 20% charge speed increase. If you have the 25% charge speed increase on Cyclone glyphed already and activate Flurry of Blows, charging Cyclone is very fast now. The only problem is that FoB lasts for 15 seconds and then has a 45 seconds CD, again with no ability to reset the CD. So for 15 seconds a Zerker is actually within striking range of a Slayer's DPS, then for 30 seconds she sucks again, and then for 15 seconds she's decent. The good news is that a previous patch made it so Unchained Anger depleted your HP only minimally, so now you can spam Unchained Anger in between FoB with the glyph which gives 25% chance of activating FoB and that helps keep you in "Fast Charging" mode more consistently. Zerkers were always mana-starved so being able to spam Tenacity, Triumphant Shout, and Unchained Anger helps the mana situation a lot, plus a chance to active FoB while it's on CD is a huge benefit.

A number of other changes were made which are mainly for PvP, such as having Staggering Strike chain into Flatten. Inescapable Doom has it's radius and duration reduced, but it's CD as well. Mocking Shout now actually grants immunity to Stuns and KDs for 7 seconds, which means a zerker actually has a chance to hit another class once or twice before getting stunlocked or serial-KDed and killed. None of this matters much as long as zerkers wear their special super-soft plate Metal armor which grants then roughly 50% the damage absorption of a Slayer's diamond-hardened Leather armor. Zerker is still the worst PvP class by a wide margin but with PvP as broken as it is, this hardly matters. Nobody gives a fuck about Tera's PvP anyways, not when it takes 4 people focus-firing a Priest to kill him and other bullshit like that.

So, what happened to Zerkers 2 months ago in Korea and today in NA was a step in the right direction. But more needs to be done before a Zerker and a Slayer are on a level playing field in terms of PvE DPS. We'll ignore PvP here because it's such an unbalanced mess and fundamentally broken unless Bluehole completely revamps it for every class. First off, if BHS wants Zerkers to chain-spam skills like Slayers, they will need to give CD reset glyphs to Zerkers. If not, then the fundamental issue of Zerkers attacking more slowly than Slayers but their skills not having higher base damage and crit percentage to compensate still needs to be addressed. That's what it boils down to.

Making Zerkers into watered-down Slayer-Lites is not a complete solution. If they are serious about completely Slayer-izing the class, they need to give Zerkers Headlong Rush and actual real stuns which actually do useful things. A Zerker has absolutely no group utility right now compared to a Slayer. I don't even care if Zerker gets a Backstab or not, but for God's sakes, Zerker NEEDS Headlong Rush.

Most importantly, they need to commit to either Dodging or Blocking with Zerkers. Right now Zerkers have a shitty Block which only works about 40% as well as the Lancer and Warrior Block, and a shitty Dodge which only works if you trigger it while charging a skill with a long CD. Since skill charging was sped up in a previous patch, and is even faster now with FoB active, the window of opportunity to trigger Evasive Smash is very small. A half-assed Block and a half-assed Dodge is much worse than the real dodge that Slayers and Warriors get, or the real Block that Lancers and Warriors get. BHS needs to decide, do Zerkers Block, or do they Dodge? And then they will need to either give Zerkers 100% the Block damage absorption of Lancers and Warriors, or give Zerkers a Dodge which can be used freely every 4 seconds like Slayers and Warriors and which has a CD reset glyph as well. I don't care which, but for fuck's sakes, make a decision and stick with it.

So, we'll see if BHS continues to take player feedback and adjusts the Zerker more. It's clear they are trying to do something with the class. It's getting better, but I still agree with most people when they say a Slayer is still hands-down a better melee DPS class than a Zerker.

Oh, right. What's going on with Mystic, BHS? Are you going to take them on soon and start improving them?

T.O.P

Banned
I'm thinking about coming back for a month or so, i'm getting bored of GW2 lately...how are the server holding up? (EU)

i totally miss Tera PVP :3

@k, i just logged on the enmasse website...why is my account reporting "active"? o.o
i remember that i've never used my paypal or cc to renew the subscription, i only played for the first free month...i'm gonna check my cc just to be sure

I'm thinking about coming back for a month or so, i'm getting bored of GW2 lately...how are the server holding up? (EU)

i totally miss Tera PVP :3

@k, i just logged on the enmasse website...why is my account reporting "active"? o.o
i remember that i've never used my paypal or cc to renew the subscription, i only played for the first free month...i'm gonna check my cc just to be sure

This happened to me too. I can only guess that after the server merge they allow you to reactivate your account for a short period of time. Either that or it's some sort of welcome-back trial. It worked on me... I re-subbed for a month.

Ianan

So GAF, I feel the MMO scratch and really want to get into an MMO. My pickle is Guild Wars 2 or Tera? The combat in Tera just draws me to it so much!

cilonen

Not tried GW2 so I can't comment on the differences between the two. Tera's a little content light at endgame, but it's a blast to play.

depward

So GAF, I feel the MMO scratch and really want to get into an MMO. My pickle is Guild Wars 2 or Tera? The combat in Tera just draws me to it so much!

As someone who did the free trial for Tera, the combat is the main draw here. It's also a gorgeous game and seems to run fairly well (at least on my very average gaming rig).

Now you're making me want to sub for a month! :)

Seems they finally filled out the premium item store and made everything available again. I really do think they would make more $$ if they lowered their pricing a bit.

NeOak

Yes, finally got 2x Receive 7.5% more healing and a Receive 8% more healing on my staff.

In other news, for our next vanarchy we are shooting for our glorious motherland: Poporia.

Ricker

You cant kick me,I think I am the only Baraka in the guild,well a semi active one at least lol...almost level 51,one day I' ll reach 60 lol.

Grief.exe

Any news on this going F2P in the west?

I played JP-Tera, pre-ordered, and played in the American beta up until level 32. I really enjoyed the combat in the game, but not so much the grinding and questing system.

I want to come back, but don't really want to pay the monthly fee.

Probably easier for people who are max level and have been playing for a long time. I would have to purchase the first month then spend all of my money at the end of it on the chronoscroll

It's easy to level to the cap in just a few weeks. I'm currently idling my cute squirrel Elin Slayer at level 41, if you catch up we can duo the rest of the way to 60! Or if we join up with level 51 Baraka guy above, then we can trio it.

You know you need to spend time with this:
tumblr_m6t8aohyTJ1qaij10o1_500.gif

Logged in for the Halloween event after not playing for months and decided to give enchanting a go. Bought some powders, used some pricey gold fodder, and failed the enchant. Discouraged, I claimed my Halloween trick-or-treat mystery box to cheer myself up and it gave me a bunch of useless scrolls and nothing else. Luckily, all the Halloween masks are available for extortionate amounts on the auction house. Never change, TERA.

I'll check back later when the prices have crashed and might give the event dungeon a try.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Logged in for the Halloween event after not playing for months and decided to give enchanting a go. Bought some powders, used some pricey gold fodder, and failed the enchant. Discouraged, I claimed my Halloween trick-or-treat mystery box to cheer myself up and it gave me a bunch of useless scrolls and nothing else. Luckily, all the Halloween masks are available for extortionate amounts on the auction house. Never change, TERA.

I'll check back later when the prices have crashed and might give the event dungeon a try.

I got a skeleton mask from a random box! The event dungeon is easy to do on your own, although I believe there is additional rewards if you get 3 people together to man the 3 cannons to protect the bag of candy for 5 minutes.

cilonen

Everything EME-related just went *poof*. Game, official forums, shop, website. GG EME.

Edit: Ah, support site appears to be working. Slowly.

Reikon

Wait, the masks are actually selling? I saw someone giving them away and there were no takers.

Ricker

''We had a large outage at our datacenter and we are currently working to bring everything up. We are also in the process of verifying everything before opening them back up to everyone.

Our initial estimate is approximately 1-2 hours, and we will be sure to update you as more information becomes available!''

Thought it was my ISP,having problems with them lately...

cilonen

8 months in and still a political force in the game... go go Believe!

TERA_voting.jpg

Seems like everyone chose to run in Arun this time <.<

New Korean patch:
http://yggdrasilguild.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1277353

Executive Summary:
Nerfs for Warrior, Slayer, Zerker
Buffs for Lancer, Mystic, Sorceror, Archer
Nothing happens to Priest (already unkillable)

The adding of invincibility frames to the ranged classes should result in some serious hilarity. If you are a melee class which isn't Lancer, it's time to re-roll. Priests won't see anything happen to them, but Mystics seem like they are getting some nice long-awaited buffs. Archer finally gets invincibility frames for the first time ever. Zerker will soon entirely cease to exist as a class, I suspect Bluehole will delete the class soon and pretend it never was in the game. Slayers are being mildly nerfed but their chief opponent classes got massive buffs, so it might as well be a huge nerf to them. Warrior will soon entirely cease to exist in PvP.

I'm thinking about retrying this game. I'm somewhere in the mid to late 30s if I remember. How are the populations now a days? Would I have trouble getting into a dungeon. I'm a tank (lancer?)

Top Bottom