• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Izayoi

Banned
Sorry guys, the masterworking shit broke me and Eviction. We've moved on. We wanted to keep playing, but the RNG is too much bullshit to deal with. He was upwards of 200 or so scrolls with no MW, I was around 100.
You're supposed to use CES, man.

Sell MES, buy CES and Masterwork with those.

Are you planning on upgrading your computer when Haswell drops?
If it actually is a decent upgrade over SB, then yes. I'm really hoping that it is, it would be kind of depressing to have a tock with no significant upgrade to performance.

Nekofrog

Banned
You're supposed to use CES, man.

Sell MES, buy CES and Masterwork with those.

That wasn't the conventional wisdom at the time. In fact, it was the opposite. In any case, it's too late. I've gone back to WOW and am playing Neverwinter on the side. It has its problems, but the Neverwinter combat system is a straight ripoff of TERA's, so I'll still get my TERA fix.

My priest is level 32 so far and I'm really loving it but I mostly will be playing solo messing around end game. Did I make a mistake going priest? If so whats a good range class to reroll for solo end game?

cilonen

My priest is level 32 so far and I'm really loving it but I mostly will be playing solo messing around end game. Did I make a mistake going priest? If so whats a good range class to reroll for solo end game?

NeOak's right. You could solo queue for battlegrounds I guess, but you'll lose a lot without a decent network of regulars in BG.

Aside from that the only thing to do solo at endgame is daily quests. They get old, fast.

Izayoi

Banned
You can easily solo LoT with Warrior, Berserker, Slayer (although they will struggle a lot with the Jester), and Lancer. ET can be solo'd by Sorcerer, Warrior, Berserker, Slayer, and Lancer. Lancers can also solo KN.

I wouldn't say that there is "no solo" at endgame, at least as a DPS or tank. Healers are shit out of luck, though. If you want to solo at endgame you're going to want to pick one of the classes I mentioned.

Warriors are the best at soloing LoT, but useless in MCHM where they are far outclassed by Zerks, Sorcs, and Slayers.

Berserkers are the best at soloing ET, as well as being the best endgame PvE DPS by a fairly large margin (anywhere from 10-20% better than Sorcs, who are second best).

Sorcerers are the best DPS class for BGs.

Warriors are probably the best 1v1 PvP "DPS".

If you're healing, know that Priests are useless at endgame right now outside of being BG healers and buff bots for people running MCHM. Once they get the energy star buff they will be much better, but there's no telling how long it might be until that happens.

That wasn't the conventional wisdom at the time. In fact, it was the opposite. In any case, it's too late.
Eh, to each their own. I got sick of WoW many years ago and Neverwinter, when I played it at least, was absolute tripe. TERA's enchanting system is very tame compared to most kMMOs, I don't mind it at all.

Izayoi

Banned
From perfect PvP rolls to perfect PvE rolls, only 1400 Spellbind required!

doshw9c4j.png

Just recently did a reroll on my +12 MW Might and Majesty. I already had double attack speed (9% and 8.5%) but it had a prone mob/highest aggro buff, which is not so optimal for a DPS Warrior. Lucked out (for once) and got the damage from behind on one reroll, so no Spellbind hell for me. I can live with still having the highest aggro buff on there.

My old guild bit the dust, nobody logged on anymore. So now I'm just playing alone (and with my brother), if you're on TR and you see me feel free to say hi. Character's named Renault.

NeOak

Just recently did a reroll on my +12 MW Might and Majesty. I already had double attack speed (9% and 8.5%) but it had a prone mob/highest aggro buff, which is not so optimal for a DPS Warrior. Lucked out (for once) and got the damage from behind on one reroll, so no Spellbind hell for me. I can live with still having the highest aggro buff on there.

My old guild bit the dust, nobody logged on anymore. So now I'm just playing alone (and with my brother), if you're on TR and you see me feel free to say hi. Character's named Renault.

Tried whispering but you weren't on. If you want, you can join us.

Izayoi

Banned
This is amazing.

Regent weapons are around 100-140k on my server, I dread to think what this madness would cost!
In total, for mats, recipe, enchanting, and spellbinding it cost me around 600k to get it to where it is now.

Working on my VM chest now, as well as acquiring Regent gear for the Slayer I'm leveling. Not sure if I want to do VM boots or gloves, Lancers make the price on those absolutely ridiculous. Don't think I'll ever bother with Lancer VM stuff if I ever get mine to 60, nearly 1m just for the recipes.

Styles

I want to start running MCHM but getting a group together for training run seems impossible since we always have 1 or 2 who are offline. As a result I feel stagnant. It's nice to want things.
cry.gif

NeOak

Stefan™;56401232 said:
I want to start running MCHM but getting a group together for training run seems impossible since we always have 1 or 2 who are offline. As a result I feel stagnant. It's nice to want things.
cry.gif

I can't go with you guys because I only have a priest D:

NeOak

Stefan™;56402236 said:
I know. lol

I meant my friends whom are willing to run MCHM but are unable to at the same time as me.

Man, most people have given up on the game. Some just log in for MCHM runs, others just stopped logging in.

It's sad. I've seen a couple guilds die over this now. :(

Stubo

In total, for mats, recipe, enchanting, and spellbinding it cost me around 600k to get it to where it is now.

Working on my VM chest now, as well as acquiring Regent gear for the Slayer I'm leveling. Not sure if I want to do VM boots or gloves, Lancers make the price on those absolutely ridiculous. Don't think I'll ever bother with Lancer VM stuff if I ever get mine to 60, nearly 1m just for the recipes.
:O

I'm a sorcerer, I've not been 60 for very long so I've just got full +9 nexus armour with a +10 nexus weapon. I think that makes regent my target for the foreseeable future! (After I've made conjunct)

Edit: Equalised Battlegrounds are gone, there go my chances of grinding out the points to make a conjunct set!

NeOak

So, update on content:

- Kelsaik Raid: May 14
- 20v20 Battleground: Late June
- Consul/Exarch/Factions System: "Late Summer" (aka July/August)

Jesus.

:O

I'm a sorcerer, I've not been 60 for very long so I've just got full +9 nexus armour with a +10 nexus weapon. I think that makes regent my target for the foreseeable future! (After I've made conjunct)

Edit: Equalised Battlegrounds are gone, there go my chances of grinding out the points to make a conjunct set!

Back to premades.

Cronox

Banned

I dumped nearly all I had into buying and enchanting a full Fraywind +9 set because BG was so horrible with victor's weapon and agnitor armor. Well, turns out even Fraywind doesn't seem to make much of a difference, still can't do significant damage to anyone that's not a clothwearer, or take any melee class on 1v1. As a lancer.

Since equalized BGs ended I've solo queued into 2 winning teams out of 10+ BGs.

Kareha

On the 3rd of May 2013, TERA will celebrate its first birthday in Europe. A lot has happened since the initial release, including a change of the business model, welcoming a massive number of new players and opening 8 new servers around the F2P launch this year and of course a lot of new content was introduced throughout this year.

Exciting times are coming up for TERA, as we’ll be introducing a new raid dungeon in May and already preparing for the next big thing, the new 20 vs. 20 battleground including siege weapons!

A birthday wouldn’t be a birthday without gifts and a lot of different activities, so we’ve prepared a month full of both of those for you:

Birthday Item Package for everyone
We’ll send out a newsletter to all players including a code for an item package for the 1 year anniversary of TERA. You can look forward to celebrating the anniversary with scene-setting fireworks and other items.
Increased drop rate in dungeons
The 3rd of May 2013 marks the 1 year anniversary, so we’ll use this day to launch an increased drop rate event on Friday, 3rd of May 2013. The event will last until Tuesday, 7th of May 2013*. During this time you’ll be able to grab more drops than usual in all instanced dungeons, except Manaya’s Core (Normal & Hard Mode).
Patch 19.04.05 including the new raid dungeon (10 & 20 player version)
This patch is scheduled to be applied on the 16th of May 2013*. The highlight of this patch is, without a doubt, the new raid dungeon which will be available as 10 and 20 player versions for all max level characters.
Special in-game event & chance to win a permanent mount for your character!
Even more rewards are waiting for you if you participate in the new in-game event. From 16th of May 2013 until 21st of May 2013*, you’ll be able to find boxes all over the world in TERA. If you open those chests, you can get your hands on Spellbinds, Masterwork Alkahests, Master Enigmatic Scrolls, permanent masks and hats and much more. You can also get fireworks with different letters. If you manage to find the letters T, E, R and A and combine those, you’ll get yourself a permanent mount (Tawny Huntress) for free!
Loading Screen Contest
A pretty unique contest will be made available at the end of our anniversary month. Everyone will have the chance to create some images and artworks, the winners can look forward to seeing their images getting used as a loading screen in TERA with a future update! Besides your picture getting featured in the game, you’ll also get some additional rewards from us as a bonus.

We’ll also have great new items and promotions available for our in-game shop in TERA throughout the month! Different costumes, like swimsuits, maid outfits for Elins and others outfits will be made available in our anniversary month!

Man, most people have given up on the game. Some just log in for MCHM runs, others just stopped logging in.

It's sad. I've seen a couple guilds die over this now. :(

The sheer amount of time investment required for Korean MMOs at endgame tends to kill them pretty fast in the West, regardless of how good they otherwise are. The K-MMOs are a lot like old-school FFXI and EQ in that regard, and at least in the West the MMO has evolved past soul-crushing life-consumption as a core gameplay mechanic.

ArcheAge and Blade&Soul face the same fate when they arrive here. I'll probably end up playing both AA and B&S at launch and quit after about 2 months, the same as what happened with Tera. Knowing that's going to happen won't stop me from playing them though.

omlet

The sheer amount of time investment required for Korean MMOs at endgame tends to kill them pretty fast in the West, regardless of how good they otherwise are. The K-MMOs are a lot like old-school FFXI and EQ in that regard, and at least in the West the MMO has evolved past soul-crushing life-consumption as a core gameplay mechanic.

Except that unlike oldschool XI, you can get something productive done in TERA in half-hour chunks. I'm not sure what sheet amount of soul-crushing life-consuming time you're talking about... TERA is no more life-consuming than any other MMO out there. If anything, its one-trick-pony content (instances alldayerryday) makes it even easier to play for a few hours a day and walk away having accomplished something. That's one of the game's big strengths... and one of its weaknesses. It's not the game's fault if people can't pace themselves, or if people think they need a full set of +12 VM to feel accomplished (not to diminish the accomplishments of those who do have VM, mind you).

Except that unlike oldschool XI, you can get something productive done in TERA in half-hour chunks. I'm not sure what sheet amount of soul-crushing life-consuming time you're talking about... TERA is no more life-consuming than any other MMO out there. If anything, its one-trick-pony content (instances alldayerryday) makes it even easier to play for a few hours a day and walk away having accomplished something. That's one of the game's big strengths... and one of its weaknesses. It's not the game's fault if people can't pace themselves, or if people think they need a full set of +12 VM to feel accomplished (not to diminish the accomplishments of those who do have VM, mind you).

The only thing you can do in 1/2 hour chunks is dailies, and if you think that is worthwhile content then I'm not sure what to tell you. Well, once you actually get good at MCHM you could probably do a run or 2 in 1/2 hour, but you need WAY more commitment than that to actually get good at it. If you only play in 1/2 hour chunks you will never be able to complete MCHM, period.

And there is literally NOTHING to accomplish at endgame except get a set of +12 VM. The endgame is so devoid of meaningful accomplishments that it's no wonder everyone who doesn't have 4 hours a day, and 4 friends who want to also spend 4 hours a day exactly when you can with the right class compositions, to commit to learning MCHM has quit. The PvP is so unbalanced that winning is more a function of what class you are and what gear you have than anything else, so there is no sense of accomplishment at winning PvP other than knowing you picked the right class and your gear is decent.

omlet

The only thing you can do in 1/2 hour chunks is dailies, and if you think that is worthwhile content then I'm not sure what to tell you. Well, once you actually get good at MCHM you could probably do a run or 2 in 1/2 hour, but you need WAY more commitment than that to actually get good at it. If you only play in 1/2 hour chunks you will never be able to complete MCHM, period.

Is there really a single instance in the game you can't do in around 30 minutes or less, once you know it?

Of course playing half an hour a day isn't going to get you far in TERA, or any MMO for that matter. Of course most people will spend hours, days dying learning hardmodes unless they're getting carried hardcore.

But even with just an hour or three a day you can at worst earn some money, at least get a practice run or two in, or at best farm a few runs. It's only soul-crushing if you look at +12 VM as the only reason to play the game, or if you surround yourself with elitests--problems with expectations, not the game...

...except about the part where there isn't much content variety and so if you're not really in love with your guild/friends/character/combat system/whatever it's no surprise that people overdose or observe what's there, and, like you mentioned, sample/conquer, enjoy (or not), and move on.

Kareha

So are people from SEA/Asia still blocked from playing this game?

En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, and the Middle East

Gameforge block the following:

Azerbaijan
Armenia
Kazakhstan
Belarus
Kyrgyzstan
Moldova, Republic Of
Russian Federation
Tajikistan
Ukraine
Taiwan

Izayoi

Banned
Is there really a single instance in the game you can't do in around 30 minutes or less, once you know it?
We clear MCHM in less than 20 minutes, usually. All endgame instances on farm take less than 30 minutes.

But even with just an hour or three a day you can at worst earn some money, at least get a practice run or two in, or at best farm a few runs. It's only soul-crushing if you look at +12 VM as the only reason to play the game, or if you surround yourself with elitests--problems with expectations, not the game...
Yup. You can easily do MCHM with Abyss gear anyway, Regent/VM are only status symbols that help you farm faster. Our group got Shandra Maniac before anyone had Regent gear, and it was almost 80 clears by the time I got VM.

...except about the part where there isn't much content variety and so if you're not really in love with your guild/friends/character/combat system/whatever it's no surprise that people overdose or observe what's there, and, like you mentioned, sample/conquer, enjoy (or not), and move on.
Yeah, that's the thing. It's very Korean, in that it will take months and months to have a "perfect" character, which is what I like from MMOs. Getting the best gear is actually an accomplishment.

Normally I just play an MMO, get to endgame, shit on the easy instances, gear my character, and leave. TERA is actually a lot of fun to play, Queen is a very demanding encounter and it never seems to get old for me. Most MMOs are so dull combat-wise that I find myself falling asleep during raids, which is just not acceptable. Hopefully we'll see tab-target MMOs start to die out once and for all over the next few years, it's not 2001 anymore and I'm sick of MMOs refusing to move gameplay forward.

NeOak

It's sad how this game is dying. Some people I know have even gone back to play B&S because TERA has nothing else new to offer right now and B&S will get more content soon.

The lack of updates makes it seem dead. It's frustrating trying to prevent what it seems to be a sinking ship from sinking.

Izayoi

Banned
It's sad how this game is dying. Some people I know have even gone back to play B&S because TERA has nothing else new to offer right now and B&S will get more content soon.

The lack of updates makes it seem dead. It's frustrating trying to prevent what it seems to be a sinking ship from sinking.
Doesn't really feel like it's dying at all, at least not on MT. Just as many people now as there were a few months ago when it went F2P.

That is the Federation armor, it's not in the English clients yet. What I can tell you is that it is an easy-to-acquire set that sits somewhere between Fraywind and Conjunct in terms of stats.

I have a couple Kelsaik pieces and they share the same cosmetic as Queen's Wrath/Regent/Visionmaker.

NeOak

Doesn't really feel like it's dying at all, at least not on MT. Just as many people now as there were a few months ago when it went F2P.

The drama on MT keeps it alive. People in TR don't like drama and do a lot to avoid it.

Unfortunately, it feels like Tera is just a giant chatroom with nice avatars and some stuff to do that doesn't feel fun anymore... or at least that is what people in TR seem to feel about it.

cilonen

^

Kelsaik raid seems to have been sorely misjudged if they thought it would increase interest and get people playing.

I saw two people on my friends list trying the 20-man the day it came out and a couple others the day after - since then I've not seen anyone I know in there.

Well the new Kelsaik raid blatantly recycles assets. And just how many armor types are going to use the exact same models until they are done with it?

It sure feels like Bluehole is a 10-man indie studio after Tera's launch. When you look at the rate that other MMOs add content, even free ones like Guild Wars 2, the rate of content addition to Tera is downright embarrassing. I play phone games with more content than what Tera has!

NeOak

^

Kelsaik raid seems to have been sorely misjudged if they thought it would increase interest and get people playing.

I saw two people on my friends list trying the 20-man the day it came out and a couple others the day after - since then I've not seen anyone I know in there.

Most of those who tried, its fun while doing it. Personally, I had a blast. But unfortunately since you can only do it once per day... ugh.

Well the new Kelsaik raid blatantly recycles assets. And just how many armor types are going to use the exact same models until they are done with it?

It sure feels like Bluehole is a 10-man indie studio after Tera's launch. When you look at the rate that other MMOs add content, even free ones like Guild Wars 2, the rate of content addition to Tera is downright embarrassing. I play phone games with more content than what Tera has!

I still remember the supposed guild housing, Server vs Server, Baldera with level cap... sigh.

In the end this happened

<3

Uh...

Izayoi

Banned
Most of those who tried, its fun while doing it. Personally, I had a blast. But unfortunately since you can only do it once per day... ugh.
You can do it twice per character (one 10, one 20). I usually run it four to six times a day. It's great money and sometimes you'll end up with a poverty VM piece.

NeOak

You can do it twice per character (one 10, one 20). I usually run it four to six times a day. It's great money and sometimes you'll end up with a poverty VM piece.

I only have 1 lv 60 D:

Tooooo lazy to level the other ones lol.

Izayoi

Banned
I only have 1 lv 60 D:

Tooooo lazy to level the other ones lol.
The XP boosts make it super easy. You can get most DPS to level 60 in 22-30 hours of /played time by grinding BAMs with twinked gear. I'm leveling every DPS class right now, will probably level a Lancer after I get all of them geared with Regent/Mayhem stuff.

NeOak

The XP boosts make it super easy. You can get most DPS to level 60 in 22-30 hours of /played time by grinding BAMs with twinked gear. I'm leveling every DPS class right now, will probably level a Lancer after I get all of them geared with Regent/Mayhem stuff.

I actually use the alts to play with other people. I guess i should level a couple though.

Top Bottom