• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

I got to Val Elenium last week and I sent out "hey just got here, does anyone want to party up for quests?" into area chat. Had a full group in 5 minutes and we blew through the entire place in about 2 hours.

Rinoa

I have a friend trying to buy the game right now, he can subscribe to the game but not actually buy the game at the EME site. Seriously its like they don't want anyone to play this game lol...

Halvie

Banned
what do you mean?

every single time I have ran it only one weapon drops multiple times. 3 x lance in one run. I have ran it about 12-15 times and have seen 3 different weapons. I haven't seen any armor in that instance that isn't heavy. I don't see how it isn't a code issue.

Gold weapon for my class at that level is cheap enough, but I haven't seen my armor listed once, and I am guess they will want ~300g for it. Not paying that much.

edit: more lances....sweet...

LuCkymoON

Banned
every single time I have ran it only one weapon drops multiple times. 3 x lance in one run. I have ran it about 12-15 times and have seen 3 different weapons. I haven't seen any armor in that instance that isn't heavy. I don't see how it isn't a code issue.

Gold weapon for my class at that level is cheap enough, but I haven't seen my armor listed once, and I am guess they will want ~300g for it. Not paying that much.

oh yeah, I have noticed that about NT. I wouldn't worry too much about it tho, you will get gold quest armor that matches the NT drop a level later, I could have saved a 100g if I knew that before lol

Halvie

Banned
oh yeah, I have noticed that about NT. I wouldn't worry too much about it tho, you will get gold quest armor that matches the NT drop a level later, I could have saved a 100g if I knew that before lol

also think this is pretty bad design. stats on blue / gold aren't that much better than green / quest items. Super decision.

Is there any form of a trial for this game? I'd like to try it out but I don't want to drop $50 on it to do so.

You're in luck. Though it is in almost no way indicative of the what the full game is like, there is now a free demo that you can try which consists of the playable prologue:

We've said it again and again: once you play TERA, you'll feel the difference true action combat makes, and you won't want to stop playing.

Until now, the only way to try the game was to buy it, but as of today a TERA demo is available on a cloud gaming platform. You can play through TERA's riveting prologue in its entirety—no download required! Just go to our new demo page, follow the instructions, and play TERA!

Ready to convince your friends to join you in the world of TERA? Our demo is the perfect way to show them what they're missing. Or are you about to take the plunge and try TERA yourself? There's never been a better time!

Alur

Just realized there was a PVE GAF guild and it was on a different server so I transferred to Dragonfall to apply...already at member limit. Fail :(.

Made it to level 25 now on my Lancer...after 6 months of hardcore PVPing/raiding in SWTOR, this is a nice change of pace. I love the combat. Grouping up for BAMs was a pretty good time, and the first dungeon (while bland) was pretty good for beginners. I also love the speed at which I am leveling.

Visceir

Sky boss, yeah!

TERA_ScreenShot_20120605_094258.jpg

NeOak

Just realized there was a PVE GAF guild and it was on a different server so I transferred to Dragonfall to apply...already at member limit. Fail :(.

Made it to level 25 now on my Lancer...after 6 months of hardcore PVPing/raiding in SWTOR, this is a nice change of pace. I love the combat. Grouping up for BAMs was a pretty good time, and the first dungeon (while bland) was pretty good for beginners. I also love the speed at which I am leveling.

Message "Serena" in-game

Nopren

So, whilst it's down can any human female light armor players give me a steer on what in-game armor this is:

http://tera-online.cc/gallery/human-fl/2726-human_f_l16.html

I know it's 'render 16' but is this a template-able, or a high level drop? if so, anyone know what it's called in-game?

If it's synchronous to how the castanic robes are sorted on that website, it's the robe you can get at around lvl 50. I think it's tier 9 or 10.

Coverly

Played a mystic in K-Tera, but I'm liking the healer a lot more this time around

Sooty28.jpg

It's been fun so far. Last two days I've been in a lot of random groups to kill big mobs quickly. Trying to level faster but I keep stopping every time I see something I can gather, just compulsive that way.

Guild chat is great to have around but I have to say global chat is the worst global chat I've ever had the displeasure to read in any mmo. It is just so bad.

Other than that, it's been pretty manageable playing and healing with a controller, haven't had any problems, even with the overflow of skills.

I had a friend try the demo, he said it streams from your browser and it's terrible? oh well.

Rinoa

A browser streaming demo? That's really... not a good way to demo a game esp since it's an MMO. They need to do more waves of buddy codes, allowing someone who is tryin the game out to get as far as clearing the noob island is what gets ppl hooked.

2San

Apparently there's a Gaikai Tera demo?

http://tera.enmasse.com/demo

edit: Just tried it a bit, it's a singleplayer demo of the intro where you have the lvl 20 char. You can pick from a sorc, lancer or warrior. It looks terrible as well, the latency was decent though.

While interesting, this is perhaps the weirdest way ever to trial run a MMO.

2San

same amount of thought that went into everything aside from the combat?
Hey! Bluehole, somewhat knows what they're doing. It's EME/Frogster that make these crazy changes and come up with these idea's. It's mostly EME though, Frogster just doesn't give a fuck either way and are busy giving the least possible service as possible.

Apparently there's a Gaikai Tera demo?

http://tera.enmasse.com/demo

edit: Just tried it a bit, it's a singleplayer demo of the intro where you have the lvl 20 char. You can pick from a sorc, lancer or warrior. It looks terrible as well, the latency was decent though.

While interesting, this is perhaps the weirdest way ever to trial run a MMO.

EME probably didn't think forcing people to download 25GB just to play a short prologue would be a good idea. For once, I actually agree with them about something.

Hey! Bluehole, somewhat knows what they're doing. It's EME/Frogster that make these crazy changes and come up with these idea's. It's mostly EME though, Frogster just doesn't give a fuck either way and are busy giving the least possible service as possible.

What's amazing is that so far with the exception of the enchanting no longer able to go down on failure, NONE of the changes EME made have panned out. I mean, most of the time you are hit-or-miss when you change things for localized markets, but EME is literally batting 0-for-whatever at this point except for the enchanting modification. Had they simply released K-Tera as it is right now with just a straight translation of text, the game would be in better shape than it is right now with the NA/EU gameplay changes. I would even take the shitty -1 on enchant failure at this point if it also meant they would revert all the other things they changed.

2San

EME probably didn't think forcing people to download 25GB just to play a short prologue would be a good idea. For once, I actually agree with them about something.
Good point, but with MMO's you really can't do these tiny demo's. I'd say a 7 day trial would've made more sense.
What's amazing is that so far with the exception of the enchanting no longer able to go down on failure, NONE of the changes EME made have panned out. I mean, most of the time you are hit-or-miss when you change things for localized markets, but EME is literally batting 0-for-whatever at this point except for the enchanting modification. Had they simply released K-Tera as it is right now with just a straight translation of text, the game would be in better shape than it is right now with the NA/EU gameplay changes. I would even take the shitty -1 on enchant failure at this point if it also meant they would revert all the other things they changed.
Yeah I kinda hoped that Frogster would go down that route(of simple translation). When I played Lineage 2(NCsoft title) when in went f2p. The EU division actually implemented content faster than the NA counter part(which was run by NCWest).

2San

Played on my EU Slayer last night, finally got her to level 56 and some nice new gear:

That's pretty nice, I really need start lvling(I'm still lvl 50). I play this game with my brother, but his 3d card got fried. We should be ready to go in the weekend though.

Coverly

I waited for about an hour in queue for an instance yesterday, I thought that wasn't suppose to happen for a healer! People needed lancers though, oh well.

The first instance yesterday the group was ok, one dps was taking on too much damage or the tank wasn't drawing enough agro, don't know which one. I got my first gold drop though, a gold necklace.

The second run through that instance we got an absolutely awesome tank. Knew what to do and instructed the team accordingly. Everything went extremely smooth. No drops though.

After that I grouped with two lancers to kill some bams and we got ks'ed by another group intentionally twice. I don't know what their problem was but my group didn't make it any better because our lancer just started to swear them out instead of changing channels like I suggested.

I can sort of understand removing the eggs, but Alchemy is too expensive to be profitable right now.

I can see why they moved the three instances that were originally level 58 down - they were obsoleted with the first Queen of Argon patch. That just made end-game very boring... at least it's a little better with the new dungeon and the Nexus finally running.

The other stuff - the crafting quests, the engines of mischief were removed but there's nothing to replace them. It makes getting the right crystals much harder than it needs to be, and it makes raising crafting pretty much impossible, especially since there's zero reason to do it outside of using what you made as a template.

Alur

I got 29 last night on my lancer thanks to BAMs and two SM runs. Got gold boots in one and my gold lance in the second, very nice. I was stoked. I do have questions if we have any experienced lancers though...

Basically, in a vacuum tanking isn't difficult. I've done it in other games, know the routine, and for TERA I feel like I have a good grasp on our abilities, the combat system, and how to position myself to properly use them...however SM showed me, unlike BOL, what a huge pain in the ass 4+ normal mob packs can be without patient DPS and or targeting. Boss fights and BAMs are simple enough, spend most of those fights with 2 or 3 mobs chasing me while I chase the mob chasing the sorc. Not fun and it makes me look bad.

Ive done SM 3 times and it seems like there's always some sorcerer aoeing or melee deeps charging in on the exact opposite mob/group I attack. Shout is great if I can get em together and once I can shout a time or two it's no big deal, but piling them up is rough without being first in for a few seconds.

I've had no complaints, no deaths, and no near death experiences...so should I not worry about it at this level range, or should I lay down the law? Maybe I should L2P? Lol

Also, lancer shortage confirmed. I've instant queued/grouped every time I've tried.

Ive done SM 3 times and it seems like there's always some sorcerer aoeing or melee deeps charging in on the exact opposite mob/group I attack. Shout is great if I can get em together and once I can shout a time or two it's no big deal, but piling them up is rough without being first in for a few seconds.

They need to wait. Eventually you get leash so you can yank an errant mob back, but they need to wait until you have everything under control.

cilonen

This has been epic so far, but this was a particularly awesome instance run. Rifkind, one of our guild level 60's in a break from endgame raiding helped me through a dungeon (Sinestral Manor) I needed to progress the story, making it look like an absolute cakewalk.

After we got done another guildie needed help clearing out an earler optional dungeon (Bastion of Lok) that I'd happened to miss and as I hadn't been before I went along for the ride.

Rifkind preceeded to sprint to the first boss, take it down to open the passageway to the dungeon proper, then aggro every mob left standing in the place creatng a huge mob train headed for the final boss...

TERA_1.jpg

We get to the final boss of the instance, I cant keep up so I'm somewhere in the middle of the train and I think our other party member is somewhere at the back, and Rifkind turns around and lays down the smack on everything in the place...

TERA_2.jpg

The screen doesn't really do it justice, I was laughing so much I missed the mob train at it's peak, he'd finished off about 1/3 of them by the time I took the second screenie.

Absolutely awesome times :D

Top Bottom