• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Sblargh

Banned
I find the game Tolerable (teralable?) if I'm just logging in, doing a couple of dungeons, and calling it a day. On one hand, it sucks that my progress have pretty much stopped (My +7 staff and boots doesn't seem to want to go any higher and my T12 enig. robe doesn't seem to want to drop), but on the other hand, the lack of endgame gives me absolutely no incentive to hurry or farm.
So the game is not burning me out, I play it 1 hour each day; 2 tops and the rest of my gaming life goes to backlog. I think that while I can play for "free" abusing the chronoscroll low prices, I'll keep going at this very slow pace.

I think I can echo a lot of these sentiments. I recently reduced my time with the game considerably to avoid burning out and while I still enjoy playing, the current state of the game is just depressing.

I wonder if EME would be willing to convert my one year subscription to monthly and refund the difference. This is probably the last time I subscribe to a MMO and pay for that much time in advance, no matter what the discount is.

I've just been doing daily quests and running Balder's Temple - once.

Everyone in my guild pretty much already has T12 weapons and are obsessing over hard modes - I'm excluded since I don't have a weapon.

So I have to do a Pick-up-Group, and the queue takes an hour or so. Might as well run daily quests while I wait, although I hate Argon Catacombs - it's instanced so if I go inside I get kicked out of the queue.

They groups have mostly succeeded, although last night's failed miserably because the other DPS couldn't stay alive during the burn phase of the last boss.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I haven't hit level cap, so I'm still taking my sweet time and enjoying myself. When you force yourself to play a game it's time to call it quits tbh. Just wait it out and maybe come back if there's an interesting patch coming.

I'm pretty disappointed with BH, I expected more from them. Especially from the pvp system, since it saved Lineage 2. I was expecting the same caliber of pvp + an amazing combat system.

They always had trouble with proper gear/lvl scaling though, but in the early days most people where pretty bad anyway(new game + new to MMO's in general). So it wasn't that bad. Since people where so bad, an organized group(with the right classes) could roll overgeared/overlvled people. If they ran the same class setup, you where screwed though.

Still because of the huge grind to max lvl, the people in your area, where pretty much the same lvl as you and with around the same gear.

I'm starting to think they just got lucky with L2 in how everything seems to work out.

I played a warlord to level cap and L2 was not that good! I know many people told me that I should have rerolled but I had too much time and adena invested already.
At least berzerkers have a chance, Warlords had no chance and where totally ignored after the party mob update.

2San

I played a warlord to level cap and L2 was not that good! I know many people told me that I should have rerolled but I had too much time and adena invested already.
At least berzerkers have a chance, Warlords had no chance and where totally ignored after the party mob update.
Oh don't get me wrong, a lot of stuff was damn broken. I was mostly referring to how the game has crazy ass grind and still somehow was enjoyable.

Halvie

Banned
I'm starting to think they just got lucky with L2 in how everything seems to work out.

I obviously had the same assumptions with L2 and tera as you did going in.

I don't see how you consider it luck looking at Tera's pvp. It couldn't be any more different. No castle raids, fighting over world bosses, pvp that actually matters, no pvp counter, nothing. Game is way more gear dependent than L2 (speaking form a TH that had a glowing red bloody orchid). Having different channels / instances is also lame compared to l2. Wasn't anywhere to run in that game. They don't seem to want to change reflect dmg in pvp.

*I did quit (banned :) ) l2 an update or two after the hero thing was implemented, so not sure how it really ended up. Seems a lot of people said they ended up changing stuff that made it worse.

Bisonian

Hey guys, just picked up the game at the $8 Best Buy daily sale. I've read through the last few pages and there's a lot of negativity in here, but I"m just looking for something to try out and mess around with for a month or two. It's possible I stick with it though so I was curious as to what classes you might recommend trying out for that time period? Also, are the GAF guilds still active, and is it worth rolling on that server? Doesn't matter if it's a PvP or PvE server to me.

2San

I obviously had the same assumptions with L2 and tera as you did going in.

I don't see how you consider it luck looking at Tera's pvp. It couldn't be any more different. No castle raids, fighting over world bosses, pvp that actually matters, no pvp counter, nothing. Game is way more gear dependent than L2 (speaking form a TH that had a glowing red bloody orchid). Having different channels / instances is also lame compared to l2. Wasn't anywhere to run in that game. They don't seem to want to change reflect dmg in pvp.

*I did quit (banned :) ) l2 an update or two after the hero thing was implemented, so not sure how it really ended up. Seems a lot of people said they ended up changing stuff that made it worse.
I'm saying they got lucky with the L2 pvp/guild system. Because with L2 I somehow thought;"wow these guys know how to make a open world pvp game work". These guys weren't working on future patches, so I assumed things got crazy, because the core team wasn't there.

Now seeing how they went total opposite with Tera and messed up the pvp. I'm starting to think they just got lucky(with L2's system) and have no idea what a good pvp means.
Hey guys, just picked up the game at the $8 Best Buy daily sale. I've read through the last few pages and there's a lot of negativity in here, but I"m just looking for something to try out and mess around with for a month or two. It's possible I stick with it though so I was curious as to what classes you might recommend trying out for that time period? Also, are the GAF guilds still active, and is it worth rolling on that server? Doesn't matter if it's a PvP or PvE server to me.
The game is definitively good, it's just the end game that turns people off.

I'd go for Slayer/Warrior or Sorcerer. Just look them up and see what appeals to you. I can't talk about GAF guilds, since I'm on euro servers.

I never played L2 but I've heard so many people gushing about that game even though it was legendarily grindy. I don't know how the same team that made L2 could have made Tera, didn't they learn anything from why L2 was successful? I guess not.

The game is definitively good, it's just the end game that turns people off.

Yeah, from 1 to 60 is the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. The quests are all super-generic kill 10 of these, gather 5 of that, talk to these NPCs in sequence. Then you go out there and you're killing things and it's just a blast.

Then you get to 60 and you're like, what the hell is this?

Bisonian

I'd go for Slayer/Warrior or Sorcerer. Just look them up and see what appeals to you. I can't talk about GAF guilds, since I'm on euro servers.

Can you do a quick overview of how the Slayer fares against the Berserker? I see Zerk is heavy armor/block and Slayer is light armor/dodge. I assume that you think the Slayer is just better in this case?

2San

Can you do a quick overview of how the Slayer fares against the Berserker? I see Zerk is heavy armor/block and Slayer is light armor/dodge. I assume that you think the Slayer is just better in this case?
While the berserker a decent character to lvl with solo. You'll get into so much bs with instance matching and being generally unfavored(in an ideal party setup). If by some off chance you get hooked by the game, you don't want your main to be a zerker. Unless they changed something and I missed it(I do know they got a buff, but it wasn't enough apparently?). Somewhat the same reasoning applies with the archer.

For pure melee damage class the Slayer is the safe bet.

Berzerkers play-style revolves around charging attacks, which hit for pretty crazy burst damage. That however is directly their fall since they can miss and get canceled out of the charge relatively easy. Slayer however just swings, hits hard and pretty much anything they do leads to a knockdown.
I never played L2 but I've heard so many people gushing about that game even though it was legendarily grindy. I don't know how the same team that made L2 could have made Tera, didn't they learn anything from why L2 was successful? I guess not.
Its simply a waste. Well WoW did happen, but what the devs failed to notice how popular L2(and L1 for that matter) was, despite WoW being there. It's pretty funny in some ways, they use a similar streaming technology to l2, so you can have big expansive world then they divide everything into zones and high mountains. For some time I thought it was actually zone based rather than a big streaming world. They literally did everything opposite than L2, which in someways was an improvement and someways a step back.

The combat in Tera is so damn amazing though and I really enjoy the game, I even feel bad talking bad about it.

Bisonian

Thanks for the information, that was exactly the breakdown I was looking for. I give Slayer a shot for a while and see how it goes. A shame that it seems Warrior tanking didn't turn out as well as it should have. The concept of a skill based advanced tank is really great, but from reading the forums it just doesn't seem to have panned out.

2San

Thanks for the information, that was exactly the breakdown I was looking for. I give Slayer a shot for a while and see how it goes. A shame that it seems Warrior tanking didn't turn out as well as it should have. The concept of a skill based advanced tank is really great, but from reading the forums it just doesn't seem to have panned out.
When I was talking about the warrior, I was talking about using it as support DD rather than a Tank. xD Slayer still does better damage though, but the warrior does have other merits(for example: some crazy debuff). I don't know much about warriors though, so I can't accurately say what makes them good.

I personally prefer sorcs, but the slayer is pretty stylish;

mSpgy.gif

Halvie

Banned
The combat in Tera is so damn amazing though and I really enjoy the game, I even feel bad talking bad about it.

This is exactly why it is so disappointing. Tera combat and graphics (which look like an updated L2) with L2 pvp would have easily been the best mmo ever.

cilonen

Roll on Dragonfall, the GAF guild Believe is active there. It's PvE though if that bugs you.

To counter some of the negativity, I'm loving the game, although I'm not at endgame yet. I can see however how that could be a big turn off. My plan is to farm and craft when I get there.

Sblargh

Banned
So I guess crafting is pointless until end game?

Not really, because before-end-game crafting is very cheap and very often provides good enough gear so you can focus on lvling instead of farming gear (or relying on story quest gear).
I won't say to sacrifice a lot to do it, but it is not worthless.

2San

Not really, because before-end-game crafting is very cheap and very often provides good enough gear so you can focus on lvling instead of farming gear (or relying on story quest gear).
I won't say to sacrifice a lot to do it, but it is not worthless.
I had more then enough money to AH everything.

Echoing others with regards to pacing and enjoying the game, here. My main (mystic) has hit lvl 50 now, and the grind's settling in. I tried to run GL last weekend but was matched up with a bad group. It was my first group that had a warrior tank (warrior A) in it. And there was another warrior (warrior B) in the group.

Warrior B started up dead, but whatever, I figured he may be fighting a BAM solo when instance matching queue was completed. But then he charged ahead of the group, so I figured he must have been the warrior tank. But well, he wasnt, and he didn't have the defense buff on him. His HP went down to 20%, I healed him back up but then the monsters (not even the big one) aggroed on him and he died. So I asked, was he the warrior tank and got confirmation he wasn't.

Then he blamed the healer for not healing fast enough.

:|

Anyway, the warrior tank turned out not to be much better, cuz he never gave me any chance to drop any balls. So, he quit the group.

Not a good first experience with a group with a warrior tank. Alas.

On the other hand, the zerker is realllllyyyy growing on me. Soloed a few basilisks and then took down BoL as a duo with a warrior guildie. That was really fun. I thought it was a bit crazy to duo a dungeon without a healer support, but we did it :) Got so many blues and great drops :D

One thing I'm realizing is that playing DPS is more worry-free than playing a support class in a dungeon setting. I was advised by GAF earlier in the thread that dps are expected to be able to evade some damage, but I guess I was unlucky this run to be matched up with a pug group. (On that note, I'm probably lucky enough that this was probably the second pug groups I've been matched with, after so many instance matchings in Tera since launch day).

Good days, bad days, I suppose :)

Sblargh

Banned
DPS should not be dodging the entire time, but if they aren't getting away from the obvious stuff with the flashy red eyes and the tell that "watch out! I'm really really going to hurt you", then they aren't automatically dead, but they are making the healer's life more difficult than it should be.

Sblargh, yeesss.

Naturally, I didn't expect them to evade the entire time, otherwise they probably would not even need a healer in the group.

But yes, -some- damage evasion would be appreciated. Very much.

I guess I should never relay any terrible experiences with bad groups from the game? Cuz it's just the run-of-the-mill expectable thing from any MMOs?

:p

Thats very cute, coming from someone who brings in the negativity by the bucket to the thread :)

But, I'll concede, and I shall not speak about terrible experiences with bad groups from the game in the future.

Coverly

Echoing others with regards to pacing and enjoying the game, here. My main (mystic) has hit lvl 50 now, and the grind's settling in.

I finally hit 60 last night and I have to say I only felt the grind at around lvl 54-56 when I reached that area where mob HP is insanely high. After leaving that area (Dragonfall), mob hp went back to ok levels, and my gear was better. What I started doing is grouping mobs of 6 at a time and killing them. Don't know if it was more efficient, but it was more fun than singular mobs.

Then he blamed the healer for not healing fast enough.
Thankfully in the many pugs i've been in, no one has said anything bad about my healing, even when we've wiped several times. Feel terrible when it happens though, but so far everyone has been a good sport. I think when people have a bad time, they just drop the group. Had a lot of that happen on 50+ instances.

Anyway, the warrior tank turned out not to be much better, cuz he never gave me any chance to drop any balls. So, he quit the group.

Not a good first experience with a group with a warrior tank. Alas.

The warrior tank groups I've been in have been pretty good. I remember one bragging at how much better he was at tanking than a regular lancer. Yesterday all my instances had warrior tanks.

one thing on pugging my way up to 60. I think a lot of times I grouped with people from celestial hills. It's like our server doesn't do many pre-60 instances at all.

Oh, and is there any point in finishing the story quest when you turn 60? do you still get xp or just items and achivements?

depward

Giving this a shot, as I've always wanted to try it and will be free trialing it.

Some stupid questions:

1) My real only other MMO experience is FFXI. In that game, if you rolled a certain race, you'd be expected to roll a certain class (not only be made fun of but also not receive some statistic upgrades). Is this the case in Tera?

2) Saw some comments about some classes to try. What are the most desirable classes in groups at the moment? What are the least? Being a Black Mage / White Mage in FFXI made me not have to wait too long for a group. I rather liked that.

As I'm going to be doing the trial, we'll see about asking for an invite for the GAF guild; I'm hesitant to ask so early (and I'm going to be gone on vacation for a week starting Friday) so I may wait until after that, if I'm still feeling the game.

Rinoa

Giving this a shot, as I've always wanted to try it and will be free trialing it.

Some stupid questions:

1) My real only other MMO experience is FFXI. In that game, if you rolled a certain race, you'd be expected to roll a certain class (not only be made fun of but also not receive some statistic upgrades). Is this the case in Tera?

2) Saw some comments about some classes to try. What are the most desirable classes in groups at the moment? What are the least? Being a Black Mage / White Mage in FFXI made me not have to wait too long for a group. I rather liked that.

As I'm going to be doing the trial, we'll see about asking for an invite for the GAF guild; I'm hesitant to ask so early (and I'm going to be gone on vacation for a week starting Friday) so I may wait until after that, if I'm still feeling the game.

I'm an ex FFXI player who was an elf that often was mage. In TERA you can be any race and any class it, doesn't matter beyond looks. The racial skills are not something that affects how good you are.

Most desirable in groups is Lancer (PLD). You will never have to wait for a group.

Priest healer (WHM) and sorcerer (BLM) also rarely need to wait for parties.

At this point, I would not play a zerker or mystic if I'm planning on being a hardcore grinder at endgame. They are simply not endgame-viable, zerker because of miserable DPS and no group utility, and mystic because heals and balls just don't scale and the mystic's buffs are negated by bosses having massive crit resistance whereas a priest just spams one of several mega-heals and as long as the lancer holds aggro the party won't wipe. The priest gets a glyph that lets them share and heal party MP, which negates the advantages that mystic had in replenishing party MP too.

Lancer, slayer, priest, and sorcerer are all viable. If you want to always be loved in parties, be those classes.

Archer is a bit iffy, if you know what you are doing you can really excel but they are kinda tricky to play because of the (very close) optimal distance you have to stay at from the mob you are attacking, totally different from ranged in other games where you always stay at the edge of your attack range. You move very slowly, have the lowest base HP of all classes, need to charge your skills, and don't get many dodges either, so a mistake as archer is usually fatal.

Warrior is a bit strange too, not just because of the changes being made to that class. Right now your raw DPS is not as good as a slayer (but still worlds better than a zerker) but you bring awesome boss debuffs, so if you are a good warrior, everyone will want you as DPS because you increase the whole party's boss killing speed. You are kind of a tank but honestly no you're not. If your dodge timing isn't perfect it will be painful for the whole party and evasion tanking is kinda bad in a game where back damage is super important, you'll be constantly moving and turning the boss and the party has to scramble to reposition for optimal DPS. People greatly prefer lancers over warriors for tanking because of the much easier positioning, the lancer can make the boss hold still so the DPS can do their jobs, the warrior simply can't.

2San

Mystic's main heal(lock on) does scale. The balls don't, but they're kinda useless from the start(the cleanse they give is nice though). Mystic's MP regen is also nicer, since it's just a toggle and you can do other stuff. The mystic can also quickly drop MP balls when opportunity arises) Priests need to charge theirs. Mystic also has more cc spells to interrupt with or keep minions busy.

I finally hit 60 last night and I have to say I only felt the grind at around lvl 54-56 when I reached that area where mob HP is insanely high. After leaving that area (Dragonfall), mob hp went back to ok levels, and my gear was better. What I started doing is grouping mobs of 6 at a time and killing them. Don't know if it was more efficient, but it was more fun than singular mobs.

Cool. Will give this a go, once I hit that area / lvl 54 :)

Thankfully in the many pugs i've been in, no one has said anything bad about my healing, even when we've wiped several times. Feel terrible when it happens though, but so far everyone has been a good sport. I think when people have a bad time, they just drop the group. Had a lot of that happen on 50+ instances.

Yep, echoing your perspective here. Most groups I've had the chance to run dungeons with have been good sports. I also feel terrible when groups are wiped. Haven't had that happened often, thankfully. Even that last GL run wasnt a group wipe. People dropped from group when warrior tank left.

The warrior tank groups I've been in have been pretty good. I remember one bragging at how much better he was at tanking than a regular lancer. Yesterday all my instances had warrior tanks.

Yea, Im sure. Warrior tanks are probably the most awesome class in the game, imo. It was just a first experience. I'm positive that I'll witness some leet warrior tanks in the game soon :)

one thing on pugging my way up to 60. I think a lot of times I grouped with people from celestial hills. It's like our server doesn't do many pre-60 instances at all.

Maybe it's timezone? : O

Yea, Im sure. Warrior tanks are probably the most awesome class in the game, imo. It was just a first experience. I'm positive that I'll witness some leet warrior tanks in the game soon :)

You'll change your tune when you reach endgame. But whatever, by the time you reach endgame QoA2 will probably drop in NA/EU anyways and suddenly warriors can block as good as lancers.

Coverly

Did my first FoK run yesterday with the nicest pug group ever. I told them it was my first time and there were no complaints. They showed me how to work the first boss (it's going to suck if I can't time it right), and all the quirks on the following bosses. Really great tank too, and overall the group rarely needed healing until the last boss. Died once on the last boss, but that's about it.

Then later that night a couple of guildies knocked out some bam quests really fast, had a lot of fun in that group too.

I finally meet the minimum requirement for hard modes, I might try doing that tonight.

Question: Why is the staff Nocturne not on sale? is it that valuable? What makes it special? Are the other staff just as good?

Also, where is a place that is good to solo-grind gold?

Coverly

Cool. Will give this a go, once I hit that area / lvl 54 :)

Ah I meant group the mobs that are in the Lorcada and Val Tirkai regions, which for me were about lvl 58 or so. Lots of mobs there are near each other so it's easy to gather many at a time.

The lvl 54+ areas (Sienna Canyon, Tor Exsul,Wyrmgorge) were slow because
1. Individual mobs had too much hp
2. Were not that easy to group together since they were well spaced apart
3. Cancelled attacks and knockdowns with non stop attacks every second or they moved too much.
If i had to do it again, I would quest with a partner to make things fly. I did this for one area and we were done in no time.Once you get out those 3 areas specifically, it becomes much easier.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Ah I meant group the mobs that are in the Lorcada and Val Tirkai regions, which for me were about lvl 58 or so. Lots of mobs there are near each other so it's easy to gather many at a time.

The lvl 54+ areas (Sienna Canyon, Tor Exsul,Wyrmgorge) were slow because
1. Individual mobs had too much hp
2. Were not that easy to group together since they were well spaced apart
3. Cancelled attacks and knockdowns with non stop attacks every second or they moved too much.
If i had to do it again, I would quest with a partner to make things fly. I did this for one area and we were done in no time.Once you get out those 3 areas specifically, it becomes much easier.

The BAMs in the area are also a bitch, there are so many to fight.

cilonen

Echoing others with regards to pacing and enjoying the game, here. My main (mystic) has hit lvl 50 now, and the grind's settling in.

Hit 58 last night just before logging and a new set of quests popped. When I got on this evening I immediately ditched Habere and checked them out and boy was I glad I did. They're all recommended level 59, but they are a cakewalk compared to Val Elenium / Seeliewood / Lorcada. You also get a nice t12 weapon as a freebie when you start the quest line.

Val Elenium (at lvl55-ish) is confusing how to progress through it, or, it was for me cos I took a wrong turn and started off in the hardest area you end up getting sent to last (Tor Exsul). that was a couple of hours of sheer banging my head against a wall brutality before I went for a wonder and found quests I could do in a different area of the zone.

Seeliewood is also brutal, it's optional though. I lucked into running into a DPS mini-group on my first set of mobs who invited me in and we swept through the place fairly quickly until hitting the boss instance which, without heals we took it in turns wiping our way through the fight. Must have taken us about 30-40 mins but we managed it.

Moral of the story: plug on through to 58, then immediately head for the new quests. Once you hit 58 you'll make it through. I was dreading the final push after the last couple of areas but it's great.

You'll change your tune when you reach endgame. But whatever, by the time you reach endgame QoA2 will probably drop in NA/EU anyways and suddenly warriors can block as good as lancers.

You mean, I will think warrior tanks suck ? :( Awwww.

Coverly, oh, I see! I'm at lvl 51 now, but im taking my pace slow, cuz I'm also levelling my zerker alt. I'll definitely try to slog through 54-56 with a partner. It sounds like the grind around those levels are echoed everywhere.

And, it's awesome to hear that your first FoK run was with a helpful pug group :). (btw, what do you mean about the timing of the first boss? some tips / reflections for me?)

cilonen, wow, that's something to look forward to, I guess! Level 58-60 seems to be very different from 54-58. Thanks for the heads up :D

Random thread of the day:
What exactly is endgame?

I actually randomly read this whole thread.

It's interesting that no one can really define what endgame really is in an MMO. Maybe that's why it's so hard to implement one that most players regard as "good", and why new MMOs launch, people play them for a month and then quit and go back to WoW. Still, if I were defining endgame, I would start with what it's not. A pure grind without anything fun or rewarding is not an endgame. There needs to be something to do besides run the same 2 dungeons 200 times and then farm for gold to fail enchants 200 times, and then repeat for the next tier of gear. That's Diablo, and last I checked you can play Diablo for free and you can't fail enchanting in Diablo and you aren't locked out of dungeons for 6 hours in Diablo. It's kind of sad how Tera is like playing Diablo at endgame only 1000x worse and they are trying to charge a monthly sub for it unless you buy Chronoscrolls.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Hit 58 last night just before logging and a new set of quests popped. When I got on this evening I immediately ditched Habere and checked them out and boy was I glad I did. They're all recommended level 59, but they are a cakewalk compared to Val Elenium / Seeliewood / Lorcada. You also get a nice t12 weapon as a freebie when you start the quest line.

Val Elenium (at lvl55-ish) is confusing how to progress through it, or, it was for me cos I took a wrong turn and started off in the hardest area you end up getting sent to last (Tor Exsul). that was a couple of hours of sheer banging my head against a wall brutality before I went for a wonder and found quests I could do in a different area of the zone.

Seeliewood is also brutal, it's optional though. I lucked into running into a DPS mini-group on my first set of mobs who invited me in and we swept through the place fairly quickly until hitting the boss instance which, without heals we took it in turns wiping our way through the fight. Must have taken us about 30-40 mins but we managed it.

Moral of the story: plug on through to 58, then immediately head for the new quests. Once you hit 58 you'll make it through. I was dreading the final push after the last couple of areas but it's great.
I hit 59 the other day and never had this problem, as a matter a fact I've never been under level for any quest. If you follow all of the quest path this is what should happen.

Random thread of the day:
What exactly is endgame?

It's interesting that no one can really define what endgame really is in an MMO. Maybe that's why it's so hard to implement one that most players regard as "good", and why new MMOs launch, people play them for a month and then quit and go back to WoW. There needs to be something to do besides run the same 2 dungeons 200 times and then farm for gold to fail enchants 200 times, and then repeat for the next tier of gear. That's Diablo, and last I checked you can play Diablo for free and you can't fail enchanting in Diablo and you aren't locked out of dungeons for 6 hours in Diablo. It's kind of sad how Tera is like playing Diablo at endgame only 1000x worse and they are trying to charge a monthly sub for it unless you buy Chronoscrolls.
you can always pvp? I was in a guild on jagged coast that was constantly at war with 3 other guilds, it was glorious!

Coverly

Coverly, oh, I see! I'm at lvl 51 now, but im taking my pace slow, cuz I'm also levelling my zerker alt. I'll definitely try to slog through 54-56 with a partner. It sounds like the grind around those levels are echoed everywhere.

And, it's awesome to hear that your first FoK run was with a helpful pug group :). (btw, what do you mean about the timing of the first boss? some tips / reflections for me?)

Yeah, and around lvl 56 and on you might want to start watching the AH for deals on your lvl 60 armor and weapons. I did the mistake of turning 60 and then starting from scratch. It turns out it was a bad time to be a fresh healer at 60 because everything was sold out. I looked at the history of the items i needed, and just a week or two before they were selling for cheap. Right now the robe is really expensive, but i might just cave in and buy it and get it over with.

FoK has been mixed lol. That initial run was great, but the fok run on the next day was an absolute disaster. My team wiped twice, I died around 8 times, and I didn't know i had a self rez spell lol. That one was particularly bad, especially because it was also my first time doing the instance with a fellow guild member. That wasn't a good day. But yesterday I got into a pug fok run and it went great. 2 deaths and no serious problems.

For the first boss, the healer is in charge of breaking down a tower that casts a shield that saves the group from massive damage. You have to time it correctly because the shield only lasts a few seconds and you have to stand by the tower, otherwise if you're caught offguard when the major attack happens, some people will die or will be badly hurt.
Check out this walkthrough of the instance, it is really good at explaining what's going on. The tower explanation starts at the second minute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcNQ7fAiZYo

Did another fok run later in the same day with another pug group that was so good (no deaths, really fast run) that we decided to keep going and do BT together. I had only watched a video of BT and was really worried about the cannon part in the last boss. Up to there the place was not a problem, but that cannon lol. It took several tries to get it right, and I gave everyone in the group major heart attacks. We wiped on that one, but only because one dps disconnected and we couldn't kill the boss in time. Luke from the guild helped us kill it easily the second time. The video guide for that instance wasn't so good so i'm not going to link it. I'll try to see if there is a better one.

Coverly

Saw this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BOVGJQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Free items if you connect your tera account with amazon's game connect? Anyone try it?

"Federation Field Kit
Lelyn's Bound Bondage - Restores 5% of your total HP per second for 20 seconds. Can only be used out of combat
Federation Supply: Valiant Potion - Heals 6% of your HP up to 30% every second for 5 seconds
Spectral Red Dye - A wider selection of red dye colors for your armor
"

They should have offered a hat or costume.

Yeah, and around lvl 56 and on you might want to start watching the AH for deals on your lvl 60 armor and weapons. I did the mistake of turning 60 and then starting from scratch. It turns out it was a bad time to be a fresh healer at 60 because everything was sold out. I looked at the history of the items i needed, and just a week or two before they were selling for cheap. Right now the robe is really expensive, but i might just cave in and buy it and get it over with.

FoK has been mixed lol. That initial run was great, but the fok run on the next day was an absolute disaster. My team wiped twice, I died around 8 times, and I didn't know i had a self rez spell lol. That one was particularly bad, especially because it was also my first time doing the instance with a fellow guild member. That wasn't a good day. But yesterday I got into a pug fok run and it went great. 2 deaths and no serious problems.

For the first boss, the healer is in charge of breaking down a tower that casts a shield that saves the group from massive damage. You have to time it correctly because the shield only lasts a few seconds and you have to stand by the tower, otherwise if you're caught offguard when the major attack happens, some people will die or will be badly hurt.
Check out this walkthrough of the instance, it is really good at explaining what's going on. The tower explanation starts at the second minute:

Did another fok run later in the same day with another pug group that was so good (no deaths, really fast run) that we decided to keep going and do BT together. I had only watched a video of BT and was really worried about the cannon part in the last boss. Up to there the place was not a problem, but that cannon lol. It took several tries to get it right, and I gave everyone in the group major heart attacks. We wiped on that one, but only because one dps disconnected and we couldn't kill the boss in time. Luke from the guild helped us kill it easily the second time. The video guide for that instance wasn't so good so i'm not going to link it. I'll try to see if there is a better one.

:O That timing part :O

Thanks forever for the link, man.

Sounds like theres good days and bad days for everyone, guildies or pugs aside :). BT seems even more intense, if that was possible. LOL.

I really appreciate all of your impressions and links, btw. My guild is very tiny, it's just a few friends and not all of us are on at the same time, but we've stuck together from game to game, and I rather stick my guns with them .... but having said that, I dont have the luxury of being able to depend on a large, active guild roster to understand / learn / get to know dungeons. So all of these feedback of other people's experiences in the game really, REALLY help me out.

:)

Mashing

At this point, I would not play a zerker or mystic if I'm planning on being a hardcore grinder at endgame. They are simply not endgame-viable, zerker because of miserable DPS and no group utility, and mystic because heals and balls just don't scale and the mystic's buffs are negated by bosses having massive crit resistance whereas a priest just spams one of several mega-heals and as long as the lancer holds aggro the party won't wipe. The priest gets a glyph that lets them share and heal party MP, which negates the advantages that mystic had in replenishing party MP too.

If a Zerker doesn't miss it has the highest DPS in the game. Unfortunately the bosses move around so much that missing happens quite a bit. However, I was on Fane and was getting 200k crits (with no +dmg on boss crystals, just a few crit crystals). That doesn't sound too bad to me. Hopefully the charge reduction will reduce the number of misses, but currently I do not hate zerker as you do. It really is a great class to solo bams and grinding mobs to dust quickly.

If a Zerker doesn't miss it has the highest DPS in the game. Unfortunately the bosses move around so much that missing happens quite a bit. However, I was on Fane and was getting 200k crits (with no +dmg on boss crystals, just a few crit crystals). That doesn't sound too bad to me. Hopefully the charge reduction will reduce the number of misses, but currently I do not hate zerker as you do. It really is a great class to solo bams and grinding mobs to dust quickly.

Uh huh. Go do FoK HM and BT HM and get back to me. I'll be around, you let me know how being a zerker in BT HM goes especially. Have fun with that.

There's no point in soloing BAMs since EME nerfed BAM drops.

Zerkers are pretty good at gold farming, I'll give you that. Only slayers can wipe out the mugatos faster than zerkers can. Too bad once you're at the point where you're actively grinding hundreds of thousands of mugatos for gold farming as a primary endgame activity, the end is near for you, because you'll be quitting the game soon after that. I killed mugatos for 2 days to fail a bunch of enchants and then I decided fuck this shit and that was the end of that. Soon after that I was out of money and then there wasn't any point in continuing to play. I could go kill more mugatos, I could waste time doing pointless dailies, I could run the same 2 shitty dungeons every 6 hours, I could go into the breathtakingly boring Temple of Temerity every 2 hours, or I could finally go play Diablo III almost 2 months after that game launched.

I went to go play Diablo III.

What most healers do with FoK is they will break 1 tower down until it's about to die. Then they wait until they see the guy start to fly down and hit the tower once or twice to kill it. This way the healer can be healing instead of standing around the tower babysitting it. What is important with this strategy is the tank knows not to pull the boss near a tower, and the party knows not to hit the towers. The healer is the one who really needs to practice watching the guy so they know when to break the tower, but when you get to FoK HM everyone in the party should know to keep an eye on the guy in case the tower isn't dead enough and someone needs to detach from the boss to whack it really quick before the guy wipes the party. Also in FoK HM the towers don't respawn, it's a DPS race. You get 4 towers, and the 5th time the guy flies down the party will wipe so you better have killed the boss by then.

Yikes, I wanted to play after a long hiatus and now my launcher was telling that it couldn't open a package or whatever and ugh... can't play. Can't use the fix feature either, hmmm, must I wipe TERA and reinstall?

Top Bottom