• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
They should do One Piece (lol)

One Piece has always been difficult to abridge.
There's been many start-ups but nothing ever got off the ground, the closest was None Piece but that barely updates, and honestly I'm not a fan.
I know LittleKuriboh made a video mocking the many different terrible One Piece Abridged Series out there.

I think part of it is that One Piece is way too tongue-in-cheek. It's not like Yu-Gi-Oh where card games determine the fate of the world and everyone takes it super serious, One Piece has a light tone that knows its silly and relishes in it. One of the common jokes is characters pointing out the absurdity of a situation. It would be like doing an Abridged Series of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, where one character's entire purpose is to overreact to all the weird shit going on.

Also, the fact that One Piece is over 700 episodes and counting, that doesn't help. I mean yeah Abridging would cut it down but it's still long even with optimal pacing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece has always been difficult to abridge.
There's been many start-ups but nothing ever got off the ground, the closest was None Piece but that barely updates, and honestly I'm not a fan.
I know LittleKuriboh made a video mocking the many different terrible One Piece Abridged Series out there.

I think part of it is that One Piece is way too tongue-in-cheek. It's not like Yu-Gi-Oh where card games determine the fate of the world and everyone takes it super serious, One Piece has a light tone that knows its silly and relishes in it. One of the common jokes is characters pointing out the absurdity of a situation. It would be like doing an Abridged Series of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, where one character's entire purpose is to overreact to all the weird shit going on.

Also, the fact that One Piece is over 700 episodes and counting, that doesn't help. I mean yeah Abridging would cut it down but it's still long even with optimal pacing.

This is pretty much the problem. Abridging works for a serious series that takes itself seriously, but it doesn't work for a series that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Like, it wouldn't work for JoJo at all. Naruto would be really easy so long as the person doing it knows what they're doing, as would Bleach.

It's been 5 years since the defeat of Freezer, and we're just at the cell games. I'll worry about 'next' when we get there. Even with my expected fast forward of Saiyaman, we still have years. Don't get me wrong. I'm extremely grateful for what we have. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect them to continue for 8 years.

I'd say we're about halfway done with DBZ. So 8 more years!

Savitar

I don't expect them to really do anything after DBZ Abridged is done. Hell I doubt they ever thought it would be going this long and with them breaking into VA stuff more and more fairly sure they'll move on.

Hell the Buu stuff is going to take how many more years alone to do?

Do they really want to even go that far after so long already.

It's really a huge commitment.

Savitar

If they go the ways it might be more of a very abridged abridged version so they can get it done much quicker.

A lot of the Buu saga is kinda just random goofball stuff.

Village

I'm ok with none peice

Purpleeyes is a gift to this earth

He only releases sparingly so he doesn't discourage the other more inferior abridgers

Speaking of related abridgers, looked into weeklytubeshow. Whoever is playing krillin in that thing sounds just like the guy, sorry lani.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm honestly surprised no one's seriously attempted to do an abridged version of either Naruto or Bleach. Both are incredibly stupid, and both have thousands of episodes. It's going to be almost TEN YEARS since TFA started DBZ and they're just barely starting the Cell games, and that's just one series that's half the length of either of the aforementioned anime.

Anyone who jumps on those shows would be fat and happy for a couple of decades at least.

Sandfox

I'm honestly surprised no one's seriously attempted to do an abridged version of either Naruto or Bleach. Both are incredibly stupid, and both have thousands of episodes. It's going to be almost TEN YEARS since TFA started DBZ and they're just barely starting the Cell games, and that's just one series that's half the length of either of the aforementioned anime.

Anyone who jumps on those shows would be fat and happy for a couple of decades at least.
There used to be a Naruto abridged by MasakoX and there is a Bleach abridged currently ongoing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh. Is that still going?

edit: oh last episode was in 2012.

edit 2: and it's awful

Sword Art Abridged is pretty good.

That one off Hamtaro abridged was also hilarious

So it's possible to make a good abridged series that isn't made by TFS or related people like Kuribo.

Veelk

Banned
That's the thing with Abridged series outside of DBZA, they're all pretty shitty. This is like the one light in the darkness.

I find Yugioh to be kinda interesting in this regard.

It started the whole trend and I still think a lot of the early episodes work just because the show is so ridiculous. Eventually, you realize that it's not so much abridging the series as much as it is just constantly riffing on it. It got to the point where it was just unbearable because all it was was self referential humor about how stupid the show was. Which is something that DBZA took measures to avoid, especially in this latest saga where we have plenty of moments that aren't played for humor but awesomeness or tragedy or drama.

And Yugioh seems to have learned from this. The recent episodes have given Mai an actual female voice and more diverse humor than "My breasts..." all the time. Rex and Weavil have moved past their constant beavus and butthead gag. The "man, this show is silly" humor is still there and it's not up to DBZA standards, but it's like it now recognizes it can't rely just on that and makes an effort, which makes it more watchable.

If there is a Naruto or Bleach abridged series that can make it up to current YGO abridged levels of quality, I'd watch it.

Nordicus

That's the thing with Abridged series outside of DBZA, they're all pretty shitty. This is like the one light in the darkness.
Sword Art Abridged is pretty good.

That one off Hamtaro abridged was also hilarious

So it's possible to make a good abridged series that isn't made by TFS or related people like Kuribo.
Also Antfish (Dodoria, Ginyu) had his JoJo Abridged before joining TFS, which was largely alright but then at Episode 7ish it got really good, especially when pulled out his Tim Curry impression for DIO

Stage On

Their are other good abridged series out their. Off the top of my head Konosubas abridged is pure gold so far.

And it's just starting but Log horizon abridged is also pretty good so far for only 2 episodes

After Buu they should do GT. I find that much more "abridgeable" than Dragonball and possibly even more than Super.

Also why no Cell vs this week?

You should check out the original Naruto Abridged by Vegeta3986 and Masako who we know as Goku in TFS.

Probably one of my favorite episodes by them lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNS7HclqYFc

There's also Ninjabridge by Lilttle Kuriboh which is amazing.

There was a Naruto abridged, it's where MasakoX got his start.

It was actually pretty good until TFS came around and Vegeta and Masako had a falling out. I loved their humor...Tho that is the teenage me speaking, Idk if it would hold up to todays standards lol.

Sephzilla

After Buu they should do GT. I find that much more "abridgeable" than Dragonball and possibly even more than Super.

They seem to pretty strongly hate GT so I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Assuming they don't just call it quits when DBZA finishes, they'll more than likely move on to DragonBall Super. Super will probably be finished by the time DBZA is done. Remember, DBZA started 8 years ago and they haven't even gotten to the proper Cell Games episodes yet. DBZA probably probably wont be done until 2022

Zubz

Banned

Ehh... Part of what makes DBZ:A my favorite Abridged is that it sets out to make a more comedic but still loving version of the show. It doesn't really crossover into "parody" (Disclaimers be damned) as it's more a tribute or a re-telling.

GT was loathed by most, & doesn't have a good story to begin with, with it teetering on self-parody. GT wouldn't just be another Abridged Series, it'd be like an Abridged version of Space Dandy or Bobobo. Where nobody enjoyed what they were doing.

The way the editor finished the last Cell Vs. makes me think that this was supposed to be the last one. Maybe we're getting the next episode soon?

Sciz

The way the editor finished the last Cell Vs. makes me think that this was supposed to be the last one. Maybe we're getting the next episode soon?

Seems like it. I assume they're gearing up to be able to drop the entire finale as a multi-part episode in fairly quick succession like they did the last two arc endings.

Zubz

Banned
Seems like it. I assume they're gearing up to be able to drop the entire finale as a multi-part episode in fairly quick succession like they did the last two arc endings.

I don't think there's enough time to do it all in one go; the Cell Games are a bit longer than the Frieza fight, & that was 30 minutes spent on the Final Form alone. I'm expecting a long finale, but we're not about to see an hour long TFS special... right?

kewlmyc

Their are other good abridged series out their. Off the top of my head Konosubas abridged is pure gold so far.

And it's just starting but Log horizon abridged is also pretty good so far for only 2 episodes

I don't get how you do an abridged version of a comedy series that's already really short.

Also the pokemon one was really well done. The Pokebridge version... not so much.

Well we've got Naruto, Luffy, Alucard, Eren, Bobobo...woah, a lot more choices than I thought...
Guts, Sailor Moon, Bleach, Simon/Kamina, Kill la Kill, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academy

They could go on for a long time if they really wanted especially if they dip into some western stuff

Bugs bunny, Rick and Morty, Powerpuff Girls

Personally I hope they just keep this going until they run out of stuff. Hopefully still release the next episode in the meantime

I'm not familiar with Pokemon but that punchline at the end was amazing. Bring on Cells next fight.

Mewtwo
250px-150Mewtwo.png

Frieza

Zubz

Banned
Guts, Sailor Moon, Bleach, Simon/Kamina, Kill la Kill, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academy

They could go on for a long time if they really wanted especially if they dip into some western stuff

Bugs bunny, Rick and Morty, Powerpuff Girls

Personally I hope they just keep this going until they run out of stuff. Hopefully still release the next episode in the meantime

I never realized I wanted this so bad. I kind of want the Cell Vs. series to continue until the finale, too (Because I doubt the next episode's the finale, at least).

Maybe they can just throw in a second between-episode season to throw in bonus non Z-fighters in the Games proper ala Mr. Satan.

Top Bottom