• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was so much shit talked about Iron Fist, as a first time viewer with full knowledge of how its been critically panned, I cant help but think the show isnt as bad as advertised.
The dialogue can be cringeworthy, and fight sequences even moreso, and I can empathise with anyone mad about the racial tropes, but Ive been compelled to keep watching, mostly cause the actors playing Ward,Joy and Harold Meachum are really good and the backstory behind them is interesting enough to keep me hooked.

Morning all, going to end my work week right by heading to the store after work to pick up some lemonheads, go home and continue watching Samurai Champloo.

Kreed

Films such as Poltergeist and Killer Clowns From Outer Space further deepened our cultural fear of clowns, says Fojas. The cultural aversion to clowns is now so intense that Fojas likens it to racism. He was cast as a creepy clown on a reality TV show last year, and he says crew members treated him as if he were an African-American in the 1950s South. “I wouldn’t say it’s racist, per se, but it creates that kind of visceral reaction.”

Indeed, clowns in London recently cried “racism” over a no-clowns sign placed in a bookstore window. (Yes, some clowns apparently don’t understand what racism is.)

Natural's Law still kicking.

Sch1sm

Why do people want to boycott Pepsi? All they made was a soulless corporate ad.

I assume because they don't want to support a company that's so unaware of social issues and unrest that it'd make that distasteful a corporate ad. Doesn't annoy you that multiple people had to approve the script, then the filming itself, and no one stepped in to say, "This may not go over well, we're trivializing, and white washing, an issue while giving the girl approval to be yet another white saviour trope from some generic brown guy in the background."

I don't care to boycott the entire company. I don't buy any of their products frequently enough at all, judging by the images Feenix put up. But, I can see why people would. Not everyone's so jaded on the situation that they have minimal reaction. 👀

---

Morning, y'all.

zeemumu

Why do people want to boycott Pepsi? All they made was a soulless corporate ad.

Usually the only way to get through to a company that they screwed up is through hilarious amounts of backlash and money loss. In the case of a single commercial, the backlash should be more than enough. But for some reason people think that the soda is their sole source of income. It's not. PepsiCo. owns a lot of stuff. A lot more than people think they do.

Afternoon BCT

Good morning BCT

Afternoon

Morning/evening/afternoon, BCT..

I assume because they don't want to support a company that's so unaware of social issues and unrest that it'd make that distasteful a corporate ad. Doesn't annoy you that multiple people had to approve the script, then the filming itself, and no one stepped in to say, "This may not go over well, we're trivializing, and white washing, an issue while giving the girl approval to be yet another white saviour trope from some generic brown guy in the background."

I don't care to boycott the entire company. I don't buy any of their products frequently enough at all, judging by the images Feenix put up. But, I can see why people would. Not everyone's so jaded on the situation that they have minimal reaction. 👀

---

Morning, y'all.

Mornin'

Pepsi fucked up, they doubled back and apologized. No reason to actively boycott at this point. Had they kept running with it then sure.

To each his or her own though. I need to cut most of that shit out of my diet anyway

(Reads over list) Glad this wasn't Mars or Hershey's

Sch1sm

Mornin'

Pepsi fucked up, they doubled back and apologized. No reason to actively boycott at this point. Had they kept running with it then sure.

To each his or her own though. I need to cut most of that shit out of my diet anyway

(Reads over list) fuck have that shit

I agree with you, but there's a whole lot of people who are still for it judging by my feeds. I don't blame them, if an apology isn't enough for them, it isn't enough. I don't know what they expect from boycotting, personally. PepsiCo will stay running regardless, considering how large their empire is.

This sort of reminds me when there was a movement to boycott all Israeli products/companies because of their treatment of Palestine, but then people realized just how much they make and doubled back OD quick.

I agree that Pepsi's swift apology was a good response, but I think some people will subconsciously avoid Pepsi soda since the brand was damaged during this. I wouldn't call it a boycott in this case. But if people do want to boycott the company then I have nothing against their choice to do so.

Also I live on Gatorade so PepsiCo is staying in my house.

Village

It's been 20 years, let the damn kid have new friends

I like it better, because brock and misty were gym leaders, so it was weird to just have thing hanging about like they didn't have a job.

I also like it better because they are incorporating newer pokemon into the old stuff to make it feel like a cohesive world.

Slayven

Never buy stuff online
Or the back of a van
DGMiniVan.jpg

I like to not take those shots on sketchy deals, but if you got that kind of cash...

Must be nice

Johndoey

Banned
Bulletstorm had a few pretty well written and heartfelt scenes along side the nonsensical insults. The conversations between Ishi and Grayson are well acted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom