• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

iPhone>Android

Entirely debatable, and I say that as I type this on my iPhone 6.

They need to let me clear app data natively before I let them be the best, tbh. That's my only qualm. All this space being lost to documents & data that can only be freed by deleting and reinstalling the app is ridiculous.

---

Hi guys! I've been somewhat absent dealing with some life shitty stuff, doubt anyone noticed but still...65 pages in 6 days? You people are mad :)

giphy.gif

Sorry things ain't been going great. Hope you get it all sorted dinner than later, homie..

andthebeatgoeson

Any one tried or got the Google Pixel ?
I have it. It's great. It's snappy and the camera is great. What do you want to know?
----

Anybody have ideas for a Seattle trip with the kids? Any active ideas? I'm thinking hiking one day, fishing another day and a boat ride another day.

I know they have a few museums but I'm trying to avoid children's museum # 4080 unless it's stellar/something i won't see any other place.

shingi70

Banned
Got an iPhone 7 and my use case isn't all that different from my android. I'll probably jump back to android next year because it's far more flexible than iOS.

Beefy

Store demo, seems Koo. I stuck with my 6p. Waiting for the pixel 2 before I jump in

Yeah, I am looking at moving on from a HTC.

My friend switched from iphone to a google pixel, he loves it. Says the only thing he misses is iMessage
I have never had a Iphone so won't miss it.

I have one at work (along side a couple of Apple devices and Samsung Galaxies). It's not the greatest Android Phone hardware on the market, but it's the best "Android OS experience" IMO (in comparison to iOS). Be prepared for a lot of "I thought that was an iPhone" comments if you get one.

How's the build quality?

That pure Android experience is the only one I can genuinely enjoy, over the skinned versions made by Samsung, LG, etc. It's clean in that respect. Nothing super special hardware wise? I think I'd buy one if the rumour they're making a budget, smaller Pixel this year turns out to be true. 👀.

Hmm may wait for that then.

I have it. It's great. It's snappy and the camera is great. What do you want to know?

Basically how is it build wise? Also how is the menu etc? I have had the past 2 HTC's and want to move on.

Sch1sm

iMessage is just a way for your ex girlfriend to keep track of whether or not you are receiving and reading her texts. ie...complete trash.

You can turn off the read receipts on a person by person or blanket basis.

I have it off for my bosses and coworkers.

10.3 and still nothing for iOS 10 at all. It's lost. We'll maybe get one for iOS 11 at this point.
I remember how when ios 10 came out there was hope for it too :( i miss my phone being jailbroken, but gamepigeon exist now so its not all bad
iMessage is just a way for your ex girlfriend to keep track of whether or not you are receiving and reading her texts. ie...complete trash.

i only know a few people that have that feature on, It was one of the first things i disabled

Kreed

Why all the phones? Are you moving weight?

You've already called the cops. Stop getting info for the feds

One Piece Spoiler warning:

How's the build quality?

The Pixel phone is manufactured by HTC so since you're moving from an HTC phone I'd say expect similar. In regards to Android phones, I only have the Galaxy phones to compare to, but I'd say it "feels sturdier" than the S6 at a minimum.

Gattsu25

Banned
Fingerprint sensor in the back of your phone is the best, honestly.

7vCIBkd.jpg

Seems stupid to put it anywhere else.

My phone is unlocked every single time I take it out of my pocket since the fingerprint sensor is pretty much exactly where my finger naturally rests on my phone.

andthebeatgoeson

Basically how is it build wise? Also how is the menu etc? I have had the past 2 HTC's and want to move on.

The phone is solid. The screen is great. I've had a Droid Turbo, a Galaxy 3, and a thunderbolt. This is the best screen I've seen. I shows in the pictures, against my wife's Iphone5 and the other phones I have had. It's fast OS wise. I will never go back to a non-fingerprint phone. I got tired of typing things in and I love the few apps that will accept fingerprint authorization. So waking up your phone with your finger is a must have, going forward.

The menu is standard Google. It's stock and I rarely feel like I'm missing anything. There are always security updates, which I like moving away from the other providers. I last got that Droid turbo under the idea that Motorola was near stock and would get updates. Maybe that's not necessary but it sucks not getting a major update because of fuck all.

I don't check out many phones to compare but I love this thing. If the Pixel 2 is a good upgrade, then I'll probably just buy that one.

The battery leaves me wanting more. I always use my phone. GPS directions a few times during the day and lots of surfing. I'll easily use it 5+ hours. But I'm not satisfied. I want this much screen time and the ability to not have to charge it for 2 days. I also think my area (atlanta, a few buildings with terrible reception) run my battery down. I hear about people getting 6+ hours and they don't have to charge overnight. I think those people either get great reception and strong signals or they don't do much.

It's a damn super computer, I use this. Nothing intense but what's the point if I can't click that youtube video or instagram link. You maybe okay with a great battery but I'm always shook if I start winding down to 30%. I need my phone so I get battery worried.

However, the charging is amazing. Quick charge at home and I found a decent Spigen car charger that will give me a lot of juice if I'm driving. I bought the Turbo based on the promise of what the pixel delivers. I use a lot of battery and I'm less stressed with this phone.

Anything else in particular?

My phone is unlocked every single time I take it out of my pocket since the fingerprint sensor is pretty much exactly where my finger naturally rests on my phone.[/QUOTE]
Basically. Fingerprint has been a revelation. I have it on my bank app, chick fil a. I wish most apps would link in and I could just use my fingerprint. Encrypt that shit and let me live.

Sch1sm

I cant think of a single song off Ransom 2 that i'd listen to more than once

I was just listening through that last night. I remember saving a couple tracks, 'cause they were whatever and I wouldn't mind them popping up on my Daily Mix on Spotify, but I doubt I'd go and willingly find it.

7vCIBkd.jpg

My phone is unlocked every single time I take it out of my pocket since the fingerprint sensor is pretty much exactly where my finger naturally rests on my phone.

I genuinely never experienced fingerprint sensors on Android, since my last one was the Nexus 5, but I'm gonna assume by what you're saying that it unlocks on finger rest rather than click+rest like the iPhone does?

Slayven

Mostly because the Android tablet market seems to have disappeared so I have little choice.

Migjt go with a Surface next time though
I been looking for a new one, but it looks like no one making them anymore. Might get a cheap ipad

7vCIBkd.jpg

My sister had an LG phone that had the power button and volume buttons on the back. That is some bullshit

Gattsu25

Banned
I genuinely never experienced fingerprint sensors on Android, since my last one was the Nexus 5, but I'm gonna assume by what you're saying that it unlocks on finger rest rather than click+rest like the iPhone does?
wat? You have to click in for the fingerprint reader on iPhone?

Here's how it works on the Nexus 5x and 6p: https://youtu.be/Xc5fFvp8le4?t=152

Just touch the fingerprint reader (which, again, is positioned right where your finger naturally rests) and it unlocks the phone almost instantly.

Hell, they recently added a gesture so that you can swipe on the fingerprint reader in order to pull down or dismiss the notification tray

Edit: swapped out the videos for one with more time spent on it

Sch1sm

wat? You have to click in for the fingerprint reader on iPhone?

Here's how it works on the Nexus 5x and 6p: https://youtu.be/Xc5fFvp8le4?t=152

Just touch the fingerprint reader (which, again, is positioned right where your finger naturally rests) and it unlocks the phone almost instantly.

Hell, they recently added a gesture so that you can swipe on the fingerprint reader in order to pull down or dismiss the notification tray

Edit: swapped out the videos for one with more time spent on it

Just resting the finger doesn't wake the screen, that's why.

Johndoey

Banned
Digging through some old stuff and found a Dvd set of the first four Res Evil movies, and a Betty Boop collection. Woo.
-
I can't find my Civil War books though.

Beefy

The Pixel phone is manufactured by HTC so since you're moving from an HTC phone I'd say expect similar. In regards to Android phones, I only have the Galaxy phones to compare to, but I'd say it "feels sturdier" than the S6 at a minimum.

The phone is solid. The screen is great. I've had a Droid Turbo, a Galaxy 3, and a thunderbolt. This is the best screen I've seen. I shows in the pictures, against my wife's Iphone5 and the other phones I have had. It's fast OS wise. I will never go back to a non-fingerprint phone. I got tired of typing things in and I love the few apps that will accept fingerprint authorization. So waking up your phone with your finger is a must have, going forward.

The menu is standard Google. It's stock and I rarely feel like I'm missing anything. There are always security updates, which I like moving away from the other providers. I last got that Droid turbo under the idea that Motorola was near stock and would get updates. Maybe that's not necessary but it sucks not getting a major update because of fuck all.

I don't check out many phones to compare but I love this thing. If the Pixel 2 is a good upgrade, then I'll probably just buy that one.

The battery leaves me wanting more. I always use my phone. GPS directions a few times during the day and lots of surfing. I'll easily use it 5+ hours. But I'm not satisfied. I want this much screen time and the ability to not have to charge it for 2 days. I also think my area (atlanta, a few buildings with terrible reception) run my battery down. I hear about people getting 6+ hours and they don't have to charge overnight. I think those people either get great reception and strong signals or they don't do much.

It's a damn super computer, I use this. Nothing intense but what's the point if I can't click that youtube video or instagram link. You maybe okay with a great battery but I'm always shook if I start winding down to 30%. I need my phone so I get battery worried.

However, the charging is amazing. Quick charge at home and I found a decent Spigen car charger that will give me a lot of juice if I'm driving. I bought the Turbo based on the promise of what the pixel delivers. I use a lot of battery and I'm less stressed with this phone.

Anything else in particular?

Thanks! Think I will get one. Anything but Apple shit.

Aiustis

So reading through that diversity thread where someone was fussing about black lady in beauty in the beast...probably doesn't know that Audra McDonald is the musical GOAT. I say that as someone who was only tempted to see it for her.

So reading through that diversity thread where someone was fussing about black lady in beauty in the beast...probably doesn't know that Audra McDonald is the musical GOAT. I say that as someone who was only tempted to see it for her.

lol..Someone complained there were black folks in the movie? A work of fiction? With a woman falling for a water buffalo?! 😃🔫

zeemumu

I know the next Death Battle is Megazord vs. Voltron, but who do you guys think Azula from Avatar could realistically fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom