• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why are all the outlets reporting that Isis claims to have killed Foley with the video making its rounds?

Jado

Banned
Is shorts and a crop top sexualization though? Hate having these discussions with gaming side because everything boils down to really silly dichotomies with them

The way it's presented in the game, I'd say yes but VERY mild and inoffensive. Not worthy of complaints because nearly all the characters are wearing wacky stuff for "battle." This isn't like those games where every male avatar is in head-to-toe gear while the one girl has an enormous, exposed chest and bikini non-armor.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Esco do get offend when someone call you Nigerian? This question came from the video infinite linked.

No. I'm proud of my nationality and am very quick to correct people here who call me British. I'm well aware of the rep Nigerians have around the world.

Jado

Banned
It's very rough to see, but I do occasionally look at the horrible things happening in the world. I feel like we (Americans) have extremely sanitized news and should have to face the world's (and our own) atrocities rather than act like they're not happening. I've walked into bodegas and seen the newspapers showing you the cartel violence that's ravaging Mexico. I see a blurb about air strikes or something in Syria, but then see the footage and it's completely different from words on a screen. That's real and it's more important to see it than be squeamish and pretend it's not there. If there were full video of what happened in Ferguson, I'd watch it even if it deeply disturbed me and messed up my entire day/week/month.

tmdorsey

The way it's presented in the game, I'd say yes but VERY mild and inoffensive. Not worthy of complaints because nearly all the characters are wearing wacky stuff for "battle." This isn't like those games where every male avatar is in head-to-toe gear while the one girl has an enormous, exposed chest and bikini non-armor.

I don't know, I don't see anything wrong with it personally. Due to the fact that there is precendence for the outfit and one of the best things about Smash has been it's fan service.

Jado

Banned
I don't know, I don't see anything wrong with it personally. Due to the fact that there is precendence for the outfit and one of the best things about Smash has been it's fan service.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you. There's nothing wrong with any of Samus's outfits.

Malyse

It's very rough to see, but I do occasionally look at the horrible things happening in the world. I feel like we (Americans) have extremely sanitized news and should have to face the world's (and our own) atrocities rather than act like they're not happening. I've walked into bodegas and seen the newspapers showing you the cartel violence that's ravaging Mexico. I see a blurb about air strikes or something in Syria, but then see the footage and it's completely different from words on a screen. That's real and it's more important to see it than be squeamish and pretend it's not there. If there were full video of what happened in Ferguson, I'd watch it even if it deeply disturbed me and messed up my entire day/week/month.

I make myself aware, but I don't engage with it. I don't need to know the depths of human depravity and malice.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Looks like someone agreed with you. Random junior just straight up posted the uncensored pictures in the thread. I feel sick.

Bruh got banned for that fgc post

keeping-it-real.jpg

Jado

Banned
Looks like someone agreed with you. Random junior just straight up posted the uncensored pictures in the thread. I feel sick.

Nah, that's fucked up. Dude won't last. I'm personally not condoning posting that here or forcing it upon people without their consent. Even I'm not ready to see that stuff 99% of the time.

hypernima

Banned
I hope this post doesn't sink into the many unnoticed BCT posts that many of my other posts have gone into, but I kind of need some advice.

All this summer I tried to get a job and failed. I applied to 12 jobs and up to July heard nothing back even when I called them, to which other people say I still didn't really try enough, even when I rode my bike to ask in person. I just got into a new school and selling my PS4 to even try to scrap up rent. But what I wanna know is how do some of you guys deal when your struggling this low? Of course I did choose the wrong major if I wanted to make money (art) but it shouldn't be this bad to get work or even sell paintings which is something I couldn't manage to do this summer.

I hope this post doesn't sink into the many unnoticed BCT posts that many of my other posts have gone into, but I kind of need some advice.

All this summer I tried to get a job and failed. I applied to 12 jobs and up to July heard nothing back even when I called them, to which other people say I still didn't really try enough, even when I rode my bike to ask in person. I just got into a new school and selling my PS4 to even try to scrap up rent. But what I wanna know is how do some of you guys deal when your struggling this low? Of course I did choose the wrong major if I wanted to make money (art) but it shouldn't be this bad to get work or even sell paintings which is something I couldn't manage to do this summer.

For me personally when I went through:
Applied for every job on pretty much every job site ever
became a recluse: no going out, no gaming, no shopping
Was able to get my diet to about 35 bucks a week.
lot of leftovers lot of ramen noodles

Key advice. When you stuggling to get a job hit up temp agencies let them do the work for you. I got a job at Wachovia processing checks for min wage did that from 7pm - 3am. AND IF THEY OFFERING ASK FOR OT. With enough hours min wage can look like 6 figures.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally when I went through:
Applied for every job on pretty much every job site ever
became a recluse: no going out, no gaming, no shopping
Was able to get my diet to about 35 bucks a week.
lot of leftovers lot of ramen noodles

Key advice. When you stuggling to get a job hit up temp agencies let them do the work for you. I got a job at Wachovia processing checks for min wage did that from 7pm - 3am. AND IF THEY OFFERING ASK FOR OT. With enough hours min wage can look like 6 figures.

you can live like six figures as well because you have no time to spend your money. Best time I ever had was working two jobs at once because I had no TIME to spend my shit

KumaJG

which one's? I'm curious. Not trying to start a argument.

Hair bit I don't agree with. I see it as more as black people just afraid to express them. I am going by personal experience obviously. In high school - college I had all different types of hair styles. Braids, afro, waves, locks ,curls and even had a tail at point.

Men can't cry.

Women bit kinda of bothered me. I just can't see it as women problems. I am on the side of it should be looked as human rights.

Religion bits didn't pay attention to. I just don't care.

hypernima

Banned
you can live like six figures as well because you have no time to spend your money. Best time I ever had was working two jobs at once because I had no TIME to spend my shit

That might be how I am this semester. I go to school everyday. I will have to work sat/sun to make ends meet inbetween doing actually work. I just hope I don't end up having a crisis every damn week.

Infinite

Hair bit I don't agree with. I see it as more as black people just afraid to express them. I am going by personal experience obviously. In high school - college I had all different types of hair styles. Braids, afro, waves, locks ,curls and even had a tail at point.

Men can't cry.

Women bit kinda of bothered me. I just can't see it as women problems. I am on the side of it should be looked as human rights.

Religion bits didn't pay attention to. I just don't care.

Oh. I see.

Mumei

And anyone defending it in the thread. "Stay on their good side and you won't get hurt."

That's just-world fallacy bullshit.

Not only that, but it's coming from "an officer of the Los Angeles Police Department for seventeen years." Say, what happened during that seventeen years he has been on the force?

Oh, right:

After a series of lengthy negotiations, the City of Los Angeles and the U.S. Department of Justice agreed to enter into a consent decree on November 3, 2000, which allows for federal oversight of the L.A.P.D. reform process for a period of five years. In exchange, the Justice Department, which had been investigating the L.A.P.D. since 1996 for excessive force violations, agreed not to pursue a threatened lawsuit against the city.

In a May 8, 2000 letter to James Hahn, the City Attorney for the City of Los Angeles, Bill Lann Lee, the Acting Assistant Attorney General, Civil Rights Division accused the L.A.P.D. of "engaging in a pattern or practice of excessive force, false arrests, and unreasonable searches and seizures in violation of the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution."

The letter noted "serious deficiencies" in the training, supervision, investigations, and discipline of officers, and said the L.A.P.D. failed "to identify and respond to patterns of at-risk officer behavior." Finally, the Justice Department alleged that the civilian Police Commission and Inspector General did not "have the resources needed to conduct meaningful oversight of the L.A.P.D. in a consistent, ongoing manner."

"Fuck off" about sums it up.

And just in the interest of fairness:

Still, there is evidence that real reform is possible, even if it takes time. The best-documented example of such an effort succeeding is, somewhat remarkably, in Los Angeles, where the beating of King by police helped prompt passage of the federal law in the first place. The city signed its consent decree in 2000 following a particularly shameful stretch that included both the King beating and the Rampart scandal that saw scores of officers affiliated with the department’s anti-gang efforts implicated in a variety of misconduct. Before the decade came to a close, however, there were already signs of significant improvement. An independent study published in 2009 by a trio of researchers at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government found rather stunning results. “Policing in Los Angeles today is noticeably different from what it was only a few years ago,” the authors wrote then. “The quality of service to residents is higher, the perception of the LAPD as fair has risen, and the use of force is down.”

The numbers behind that conclusion tell an even stronger story, most notably this one: 83 percent of residents said that the police department was doing a good or excellent job. That, again, was less than two decades after residents watched in horror as news stations broadcast a home video of a group of LAPD officers beating an unarmed King nearly to death.

Still, the LAPD reforms did not happen overnight and the reform of the Ferguson Police Department, if it ever happens, would likewise take years. And even if that were to happen there is no guarantee that any changes that are enacted will become permanent. “Once the monitor goes away, will these reforms have been institutionalized? Can [police departments] sustain these reforms?” says Walker of the problems facing any reformed department, not just a hypothetical Ferguson. “We need to make sure that these things last.”

So, congratulations, LAPD. You've improved, thanks to your much needed intervention. But Officer Dutta can still fuck off.

Is that bannable?

definitely.

many years ago, i got banned for *not linking to* that eastern european soldier getting shanked in the neck video

and by not linking i mean i set the post to not parse links and also had warnings so people had to manually copy and paste the URL.

i still got got.

Malyse

Not only that, but it's coming from "an officer of the Los Angeles Police Department for seventeen years." Say, what happened during that seventeen years he has been on the force?

Oh, right:

"Fuck off" about sums it up.

And just in the interest of fairness:

So, congratulations, LAPD. You've improved, thanks to your much needed intervention. But Officer Dutta can still fuck off.

"Improved" didn't they *just* beat a man to death?

Mods, is the ISIS thread safe yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom