• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Rekubot

Mistle said:
Wait, you consider her name a spoiler? I get the media blackout thing and all, as I'm trying to do so also, but knowing her name changes absolutely nothing :/
When you spend months purposefully avoiding SS threads (particularly the 'New Zelda Skyward Sword trailers (your body is not ready)' thread) any scrap of information is huge, and therefore feels like a massive spoiler. That's my reasoning anyway.

Andrew J.

Just finished the Linked Oracle of Seasons. The L-3 Master Sword combined with the Red Ring (attack power doubled) you can get from the Golden Beasts sidequest sort of breaks the endgame, but it still feels nice to kill a dungeon boss in three or four spin attacks and beat Ganon in a reasonable amount of time.

Next up: The Minish Cap!

Rikkun

Mistle said:
Wait, you consider her name a spoiler? I get the media blackout thing and all, as I'm trying to do so also, but knowing her name changes absolutely nothing :/

Oh my god.
Her?

I'll run out of chairs.

I just want to go shopping on day one, see the case, think "hey the new zelda came out, let's see how bad this is" and BAM, goty 2011 hopefully. Just like when I was 5.

Andrew J. said:
Just finished the Linked Oracle of Seasons. The L-3 Master Sword combined with the Red Ring (attack power doubled) you can get from the Golden Beasts sidequest sort of breaks the endgame, but it still feels nice to kill a dungeon boss in three or four spin attacks and beat Ganon in a reasonable amount of time.

Next up: The Minish Cap!
Have you played Minish Cap before?

Rikkun said:
Oh my god.
Her?

I'll run out of chairs.

I just want to go shopping on day one, see the case, think "hey the new zelda came out, let's see how bad this is" and BAM, goty 2011 hopefully. Just like when I was 5.
You thought Zelda 1 was going to be GOTY for 2011?

Big One said:
That looks good but needs to be bigger. I love the style of it however.

Make one bigger and with just Link. Fi doesn't need to be there.

Ok, so I tried it with just Link but it looked really empty to me. I moved Fi, and added some text to make it look a little more busy. I think it looks much better now.

6239310116_0aae2e136a_z.jpg

Here's the link to the full size: Wallpaper

Playing through Wind Waker again its striking how inspired its story is by Star Wars. Especially having Ancient Hylian translated. Link as the unlikely hero, doubted by the last vestiges of the "rebellion" except his mentor. His female companion and implied love interest having a secret and surprising identity. His mentor sacrificing himself to save him. The tragic villain who is under the impression he has a storied and pre-established history with the hero.

Link Man

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
Ok, so I tried it with just Link but it looked really empty to me. I moved Fi, and added some text to make it look a little more busy. I think it looks much better now.

6239310116_0aae2e136a_z.jpg

Here's the link to the full size: Wallpaper
Looks great! (After a little bit of size adjustment, of course.)

So I just beat AoL again and killed Thunderbird in one try this time (must have taken about 30 last time). Seriously, for anyone who wants to attempt to take on Thunderbird, the trick is to cast Thunder, then Jump, then Reflect, then Shield. Reflect is the most important defensive spell, because it lets you block his fireballs with your shield.

Seriously, it's a fantastic game. I'm toying with the idea of replaying Spirit Tracks next. I tried a few months ago, played for about two hours, then turned off the system and then realised I hadn't saved. It sapped my will to play through the beginning again.

sphinx

the piano man
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I just beat AoL again and killed Thunderbird in one try this time (must have taken about 30 last time). Seriously, for anyone who wants to attempt to take on Thunderbird, the trick is to cast Thunder, then Jump, then Reflect, then Shield.

I think controlling link while high-jumping does the trick with thunderbird.

Big One

Banned
That trailer made me lol so hard. So derpy but awesome at the same time. Great effort.

Where does it go in the Zelda timeline, though?!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Big One said:
That trailer made me lol so hard. So derpy but awesome at the same time. Great effort.

Where does it go in the Zelda timeline, though?!

I would guess shortly after Twilight Princess... Or maybe before, if Midna was one of the original interlopers...

Replaying Wind Waker in preparation for Skyward Sword.

You know, in many ways, this suffers from exactly the opposite problems that Twilight Princess does. Whereas Twilight Princess has a bland, generic overworld with terrible art design, Wind Waker has a superb overworld with dat cellshading; I still hold it to be one of the finest experiences in all gaming, including the sailing.

However, TP's dungeons were superb; lengthy, involving and just plain fun. Wind Waker, unfortunately, has some of the blandest dungeons that Zelda has seen. Dragon Roost Isle was good, and Forsaken Fortress was immensely satisfying to run through dealing justice with the sword and hammer second time around, but apart from that, I didn't wholeheartedly enjoy a dungeon until Ganon's Tower. The Earth and Wind Temples, bosses aside, are awful; tedious, monotonous, and entirely lacking in atmosphere. All of Wind Waker's best moments are either to be found in boss battles (particularly Ganondorf) and outside of the dungeons; ploughing through the Darknuts after freeing the Master Sword, raising the Tower of the Gods (what a letdown that dungeon was)...

My major hope for Skyward Sword is that it is the first Zelda since Majora to actually balance a rich overworld with a set of compelling dungeons.
All this talk of further integrating the two, and bringing the dungeons outside, is immensely promising.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Since there are a ton talented artists in this thread sharing their pieces or critique... I was wondering if anyone would be interested in collaborating on a piece of Zelda-related art? Not sure yet what it'll be a drawing of or how it'd break down (whether it's a typical collage of multiple renditions of Link or a breakdown of process with different people doing lineart, coloring, etc.), but let me know if you'd like to participate!

Just thought it might be a fun way to spend some time in the run up to Skyward Sword.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Exterminieren said:

You know, in many ways, this suffers from exactly the opposite problems that Twilight Princess does. Whereas Twilight Princess has a bland, generic overworld with terrible art design, Wind Waker has a superb overworld with dat cellshading; I still hold it to be one of the finest experiences in all gaming, including the sailing.

However, TP's dungeons were superb; lengthy, involving and just plain fun. Wind Waker, unfortunately, has some of the blandest dungeons that Zelda has seen. Dragon Roost Isle was good, and Forsaken Fortress was immensely satisfying to run through dealing justice with the sword and hammer second time around, but apart from that, I didn't wholeheartedly enjoy a dungeon until Ganon's Tower. The Earth and Wind Temples, bosses aside, are awful; tedious, monotonous, and entirely lacking in atmosphere. All of Wind Waker's best moments are either to be found in boss battles (particularly Ganondorf) and outside of the dungeons; ploughing through the Darknuts after freeing the Master Sword, raising the Tower of the Gods (what a letdown that dungeon was)...

My major hope for Skyward Sword is that it is the first Zelda since Majora to actually balance a rich overworld with a set of compelling dungeons.
All this talk of further integrating the two, and bringing the dungeons outside, is immensely promising.

Majora's 'overworld' was too sectioned off, just like Ocarina. It had variety outside of the dungeons, but the primary world leading to the environments made it feel like it was just ICE WORLD, SWAMP WORLD.. like a Mario game. In fact, all the 3D Zeldas suffer from this except for Wind Waker.

A Link to the Past, Wind Waker and Link's Awakening were great because everything felt like it was connected.

ExMachina said:
Since there are a ton talented artists in this thread sharing their pieces or critique... I was wondering if anyone would be interested in collaborating on a piece of Zelda-related art? Not sure yet what it'll be a drawing of or how it'd break down (whether it's a typical collage of multiple renditions of Link or a breakdown of process with different people doing lineart, coloring, etc.), but let me know if you'd like to participate!

Just thought it might be a fun way to spend some time in the run up to Skyward Sword.

Ohhh, That sounds like fun. I'd love to help if I can get some free time. I should be way less busy in a week or so.

ExMachina said:

I'd be down to do some collaborating.

sphinx

the piano man
Exterminieren said:

These were my thoughts exactly with my last playthrough 2 or 3 months ago. Windwaker has a absolutely beautiful world but man, those temples/dungeons suck so much. Keys were absolutely pointless, no puzzles were done to get them or use them. Dungeon design was simple and bland

In comparison TP's temples were phenomenal, at least until the last one, the one in the twilight realm which in my opinion was subpar. TP's outworld, on the other hand, sucks and pales in comparisons to WW's, is brown hallways all the way and the world is terribly connected which is the reason why I have like 10 playthroughs fo WW and 3 of TP..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chalk me up as another Wind Waker = Overworld, Twilight Princess = Dungeon. I love the adventure of the forumer, and the dungeons of the latter are my favourite in the franchise. I actually really like the Twilight dungeon. Its quite short, but nicely paced and has some good battles (and an awesome boss). The Temple of Time is my least favourite, with the City in the Sky following shortly behind. I loved every other one though, and the Arbiters Ground is probably my favourite.

ExMachina said:

I'm intrigued but details will be needed.

As for the Wind Waker dungeon situation, yeah they are pretty bland, I love Dragon Roost Island but the rest not so much. The Earth and Wind in particular are kind of lame, the command melody idea really wears out its welcome once you've played it for the hundredth time.

Xun

ExMachina said:

I'm up for that.

Rehynn

EatChildren said:
Chalk me up as another Wind Waker = Overworld, Twilight Princess = Dungeon. I love the adventure of the forumer, and the dungeons of the latter are my favourite in the franchise. I actually really like the Twilight dungeon. Its quite short, but nicely paced and has some good battles (and an awesome boss). The Temple of Time is my least favourite, with the City in the Sky following shortly behind. I loved every other one though, and the Arbiters Ground is probably my favourite.

I also loved WW's overworld design, it's probably the reason why I'm not afraid that SS might not have a coherent over(under)world.
In WW, I actually enjoyed the feeling of being a seafarer.

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
You should've asked me prior to beating that boss, lol.

How hard was it without reflect?

it took me 5 or less tries, i can't really remember how many. something like that. the last try i ripped the bastard apart.

Willy105 said:
Eh, I've played much worse.

Earth Temple was worse, for one. Although at least it had the honour of introducing the series scariest enemy, fuckin' WW Redeads :(

Tower of the Gods > Forest Temple > Dragon Roost > Wind Temple > Earth Temple.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
TheCongressman1, Mistle, Chet Rippo, Nocturnowl, and Xun: Alright, cool! Does anyone have any ideas for a collab that they particularly want to do or should I just lay down some guidelines to get us started? I've participated in artworms (where you just add pieces side by side with a bit of blending in between), straight up collages, and coloring or inking other people's lineart... all are pretty fun, so there are a number of ways we can take this. I'll think about it over the weekend (and take any feedback/suggestions) and let ya'll know more details come next week. Either something 25th Anniversary related or Skyward Sword related probably...

olimpia84 said:
Help Zelda GAF, where can I get the following wallpaper without the 3DS and OOT game logo with high resolution ?

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp...end-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-wallpaper.jpg
Shazam!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28521611&postcount=58

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rehynn said:
I also loved WW's overworld design, it's probably the reason why I'm not afraid that SS might not have a coherent over(under)world.
In WW, I actually enjoyed the feeling of being a seafarer.

Same. I really just love the psychology of adventure from seeing a silhouette on the distance and travelling there. The sea might be relatively empty and bland, and there might not be much on the island once you reach it, but it was the adventure into the unknown that excited me.

I'm hopeful that the sky of Skyward Sword will evoke a similar feeling.

Hypatia

ExMachina said:
Since there are a ton talented artists in this thread sharing their pieces or critique... I was wondering if anyone would be interested in collaborating on a piece of Zelda-related art?

Would totally be up for this, just depends on what we'd be doing really.

Rikkun

I hope SS will let me ride a bird in the sky, a bird who only travels on rails just to make sure I don't get lost. And black birds should be able to insta-kill me, since black is evil.
And an unskippable video while you fall to the death, with some highlights of what you did.
With some QTE here and there. You miss? you'll die anyway, showing the true meaning of life and the inevitability of fate.

Rikkun said:
I hope SS will let me ride a bird in the sky, a bird who only travels on rails just to make sure I don't get lost. And black birds should be able to insta-kill me, since black is evil.
And an unskippable video while you fall to the death, with some highlights of what you did.
With some QTE here and there. You miss? you'll die anyway, showing the true meaning of life and the inevitability of fate.
I actually wouldn't mind on-rails bird action, as long as it allowed for some combat. We got a taste in TP and I liked it quite a bit. Plus, If Nintendo is going to be the only company with the balls to publish on-rails shooters, why not go all out and make an interesting minigame in SS?

The last thing I want to do is Super Mario Galaxy-style flying with the awkward Wii Remote positioning, especially if it's for longer than 30 seconds at a time.

Rikkun

SecretMoblin said:
I actually wouldn't mind on-rails bird action, as long as it allowed for some combat. We got a taste in TP and I liked it quite a bit. Plus, If Nintendo is going to be the only company with the balls to publish on-rails shooters, why not go all out and make an interesting minigame in SS?

The last thing I want to do is Super Mario Galaxy-style flying with the awkward Wii Remote positioning, especially if it's for longer than 30 seconds at a time.

640px-Spirit_Tracks_Thomas.jpg

It was just transfarring referring to this.
And I don't want it.

Crossbow Training 2, with stages from every Zelda? Now we're talking. But let me roam my overworld Ninty.

Top Bottom