• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Elitist1945

Jesus Christ what did I do wrong in my playthrough? I played on Hard and finished in 6 1/2 hours. I died a crap tonne, and explored every area - but I'm seeing people saying they're 8 hours in? Tell your secrets and what I should do better in my next playthrough haha.

DieH@rd

Banned
If everything is "totally ok" then why is a 6/10 score a poor grade? Again, if 5/10 is average and the game is considered average by people, how is a 6/10 an inaccurate rating for such a thing?

By "everything is OK" I meant to say that I don't see all the big negative points everyone was screaming about [some I saw, but they did not bother me and prevented me to enjoy the game]. For now I liked what I played, the game is easy 7.5-8.5/10 for me for the sections I played, but I will wait to finish the game [few more chapters left] to formulate my final impressions.

Great, a classic "almost every single media outlet thinks this game is a dud, but I'm going to defend my 60 dollar pre-order because THEY'RE WRONG MAAAAANNNNNNN!" thread. Love it. Don't worry, everyone's done it at least once. Whenever I'm feeling down I reread the Knack thread for the same hilarious posts. It's a thing of beauty.

Yes, only people paid to review games can possibly hold an opinion on them. WE ARE LEGION, DO NOT QUESTION THE GAME REVIEW MACHINE!

Great, a classic "almost every single media outlet thinks this game is a dud, but I'm going to defend my 60 dollar pre-order because THEY'RE WRONG MAAAAANNNNNNN!" thread. Love it. Don't worry, everyone's done it at least once. Whenever I'm feeling down I reread the Knack thread for the same hilarious posts. It's a thing of beauty.

Yah. I want to see actual reviews from GAF but the honey moon phase is always strong.

ironcreed

Banned

Or maybe some of us are actually enjoying the game.

shmoglish

%25D0%25A5%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B1%25D0%25B1%25D0%25B8%25D1%2582-%25D0%2590%25D1%2580%25D0%25B4%25D0%25B0-%25D1%2584%25D1%258D%25D0%25BD%25D0%25B4%25D0%25BE%25D0%25BC%25D1%258B-lord-of-the-rings-1533160.gif

sajj316

Sorry, but that is a weak argument. If someone gives you a huge budget and ample time to make a solid console title, YOU DELIVER!

Otherwise, don't step up to the plate in the first place.

Care to tell me what the budget and timelines were? This is RADs first experience with a larger budget. Sony isn't risking a $100 million budget with them.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Lol yes, reviews should determine if you enjoy a game or not, right?

Because people can't possibly have their own opinions, right?

Jesus christ, there's certainly "defenders" for every game but outright accusing anyone who disagrees with critical consensus is just as bad.

Care to tell me what the budget and timelines were? This is RADs first experience with a larger budget. Sony isn't risking a $100 million budget with them.

Dude, this thing clearly had a substantial budget behind it. It was marketed fairly considerably. I saw multiple commercials for it on TV.

Melchiah

Or maybe some of us are actually enjoying the game.

That obviously can't be true, as those people who haven't played the game themselves have already decided it sucks. There's just has to be an ulterior motive. No-one can possibly like a game that others dislike, it's just unheard of.

Relique

If everything is "totally ok" then why is a 6/10 score a poor grade? Again, if 5/10 is average and the game is considered average by people, how is a 6/10 an inaccurate rating for such a thing?

5/10 is not average by today's standards.7/10 or 7.5/10 is what considered an average game nowadays.

Just got home and about to fire it up for the first time. Considering that my favorite parts of Last of Us were the parts where you'd just wander around for a while and soak up atmosphere, I think I may like this quite a bit. Here we go...

FafaFooey

Yah. I want to see actual reviews from GAF but the honey moon phase is always strong.

This. Sure, you can enjoy a game while reviewers don't. I had the same thing with Blue Dragon for example, but looking back months after the initial release, every single thread about a low scoring game has 2 months of denial and honeymoon phase syndrome followed by a bump when it's on sale somewhere for 25 bucks and people aren't ashamed to say it stinks.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Anyone else bored to tears by the story? I'm still fairly early in so I'm hoping it picks up, but if you're going a cinematic game then for the love of all things holy get the story right.

byropoint

Just finished the game,

It's definitely not bad or a failure, I loved the visuals, atmosphere and the music, story and gameplay were both good but nothing special, didn't like the lycan encounters, some of the level design and the 'boss' encounters, that could definitely been better, overall it's a very decent game, does some stuff very well other not so much.

I really hope RaD gets the chance to make a sequel though because holy shit there is some amazing potential here.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

What the hell?

antitrop

Anyone else bored to tears by the story? I'm still fairly early in so I'm hoping it picks up, but if you're going a cinematic game then for the love of all things holy get the story right.

The story is very "in the moment", in that there's not much going on, other than what you're doing right at that time. Anything else it expects you to figure out by looking at visual clues or reading collectables.

jmaine_ph

On chapter 6 and I'm enjoying this game. I've found that playing a game for what it is and not for what it isnt has helped me enjoy games more.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The story is very "in the moment", in that there's not much going on, other than what you're doing right at that time. Anything else it expects you to figure out by looking at visual clues or reading collectables.

There are some instances where you wonder where did that character go, but as always they seem to prefer to use them as a hint for a possible sequel. It's definitely a problem of the game.

GeoramA

The fuck. This game continues to bring the weirdness out of people :lol

ironcreed

Banned
That obviously can't be true, as those people who haven't played the game themselves have already decided it sucks. There's just has to be an ulterior motive. No-one can possibly like a game that others dislike, it's just unheard of.

LOL, really.

I tell you what, if I hated it, I would not be afraid to say so and would chalk it up as a loss. But that is just not the case. Sorry, reviewers.

Swarming101

Just finished the game,

It's definitely not bad or a failure, I loved the visuals, atmosphere and the music, story and gameplay were both good but nothing special, didn't like the lycan encounters, some of the level design and the 'boss' encounters, that could definitely been better, overall it's a very decent game, does some stuff very well other not so much.

I really hope RaD gets the chance to make a sequel though because holy shit there is some amazing potential here.

This is what I think as well. This was a solid 7/10 for me. I enjoyed my time with it. The story was great up until the ending which was very unsatisfying, though the way in which they handled what happened was quite touching and well-done. The combat was really enjoyable, and the hectic firefights towards the end of the game were really, really fun, especially if you whip out the machine gn and start spraying and leaning around cover etc. The graphics were the single best I've ever seen in a video game, and I'm still astonished that they can run that at a rock-solid 30FPS. The music was awesome, the story was well done aside from the ending as I said. There's very little replay value though, this is true, I think I'm going to play through it one more time on Easy just to mop up the collectibles and remaining trophies. I honestly really enjoyed the seamless moves from cutscene to QTE to free roaming. It really is a cinematic experience but I'm a big fan of these sorts of games when they're done well.

This game is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

On chapter 6 and I'm enjoying this game. I've found that playing a game for what it is and not for what it isnt has helped me enjoy games more.

This. When I accept that my Taco Bell steak is only there to serve my appetite rather than delight my exquisite palet, it helps a lot

alterno69

Banned
4 chapters in, i'm loving it.

Graphics and sound are pretty amazing, playing it with gold headsets on a 50" TV, no issue with the black bars at all.

Now, as a huge fan of games like Heavenly Sword and Heavy Rain(didn't like Beyond two souls) this game is awesome. If you're expecting Gears of War you will be dissapointed, but i don't buy my games expecting to recreate past experiences from other franchises. At time this feels like Heavy Rain, at times Uncharted(the combat scenarios), i'm hooked and i don't want it to end.

Since the first reports, lenght has been my main concern but it wont make a great game bad or viceversa.

I beat games like MGS2 and Silent Hill 2 in less than 24 hours back in the day and they're some of my fondest memories to this day.

If you like getting immersed in awesome worlds rich with atmosphere and crazy attention to detail and don't habe any preconceived notions about what a game should be like you should enjoy this.

Great game so far, the AI in hard is actually challenging too.

Flo_Evans

Are the graphics/animation at least worth it? Ugh I should probably wait for the used bin but I am lazy and don't want to go to the store.

Ok finished the game, I loved it sure it has it's flaws but it does not warrant the reviews it got. I really hope RAD get a chance to make another. I hope there is more depth the the Lycan fights in the next one then there can be a god like horde mode with everything they set up with the creatures and men.

DrKelpo

Banned
ok, i just finished my first playthrough. it took me about 8 hours i think. played on hard and did not get any of the collection-throphies, so i obviously overlooked some areas.

the one thing i thought at the end was "please dont stop here, give me some more chapters" buti had a really fun time with it and will gladly return for a second playthough to get all the trophies. the amount of detail in the game is mindblowing at times.

i cant wait for a sequel, that irons out some of the games flaws.
they could have done so much more with the lycans

overall a really fun and solid game :)

alterno69

Banned
Are the graphics/animation at least worth it? Ugh I should probably wait for the used bin but I am lazy and don't want to go to the store.
YES, graphics are amazing but more importantly, the attention to detail is outstanding, everything looks right, there's no funny stuff that takes you out of the game ot jumps at you as being out of place.

YES, graphics are amazing but more importantly, the attention to detail is outstanding, everything looks right, there's no funny stuff that takes you out of the game ot jumps at you as being out of place.

That was the worst part about ACU, aside from the framerate. Really nice lighting and animations but then just things that make you go picardwhatthefuck.jpg

Top Bottom