• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Finally, my copy arrived.

1Q13Q8Al.jpg

pHgYpXHl.jpg

h4o93aml.jpg

DBTrcdgl.jpg

That's one hell of a premium edition. Very nice

DieH@rd

Banned
Are the graphics/animation at least worth it?

This is without a doubt the most beautiful game made on nexgen consoles. For the majority of the game it looks like CGI, and for the minority it looks awesome. RAD did masterful work with technical aspects of the game.

Tilian

Banned
Anybody else amazed by the material feel of the game? The art direction is impeccable. The first door I opened registered like an actual wooden door with weight and feel. I'm currently in
Tesla's lab
and the materiality of the animated objects provides such a great sense of time and place.

BokehKing

Banned
Great, a classic "almost every single media outlet thinks this game is a dud, but I'm going to defend my 60 dollar pre-order because THEY'RE WRONG MAAAAANNNNNNN!" thread. Love it. Don't worry, everyone's done it at least once. Whenever I'm feeling down I reread the Knack thread for the same hilarious posts. It's a thing of beauty.
WoW, it's almost like you lifted this word for word from drive bye shit posts in a destiny thread

Smh, why come in here when you know it's people playing (and actually enjoying) the game?

Melchiah

Jesus Christ what did I do wrong in my playthrough? I played on Hard and finished in 6 1/2 hours. I died a crap tonne, and explored every area - but I'm seeing people saying they're 8 hours in? Tell your secrets and what I should do better in my next playthrough haha.

Inspecting every nook and cranny, admiring the locations, and taking screenshots. The latter has become kinda like a mini-game itself during this generation.

EDIT: And listening through all the NPC dialogue.

SDCowboy

I'm only just now starting starting chapter 4 and I'm 2.5 hours in. Unless the remaining chapters are ridiculously short, the game's length seems pretty standard to me. This game deserves to be soaked in. Not rushed through.

I'm only just now starting starting chapter 4 and I'm 2.5 hours in. Unless the remaining chapters are ridiculously short, the game's length seems pretty standard to me. This game deserves to be soaked in. Not rushed through.

Not really a spoiler, but I know there are a few chapter later on that are literally just cutscenes. I've heard that the pacing is horrid, one chapter will be an hour, another will be 10 minutes with no gameplay.

DieH@rd

Banned

I did not finish the game yet, but as far as I noticed 3 chapters that all lasted for ~10 minutes each, all consisting from animations or slow exploration.

alterno69

Banned
I really don't get people judging games for what they're not instead of they they are. Seems like such a simple premise, for the record i also thought Ryse was at least decent, Knack likewise.

antitrop

Not really a spoiler, but I know there are a few chapter later on that are literally just cutscenes. I've heard that the pacing is horrid, one chapter will be an hour, another will be 10 minutes with no gameplay.

You don't even have to wait until later on.
Chapter 2 is basically a cutscene and Chapter 3 is super long.

alterno69

Banned
Anybody else amazed by the material feel of the game? The art direction is impeccable. The first door I opened registered like an actual wooden door with weight and feel. I'm currently in
Tesla's lab
and the materiality of the animated objects provides such a great sense of time and place.
After my first session, i found myself paying attention to the sound of my footseps and stuff around MY house, in real life, the sound is just amazing.9

DevilFox

Great, a classic "almost every single media outlet thinks this game is a dud, but I'm going to defend my 60 dollar pre-order because THEY'RE WRONG MAAAAANNNNNNN!" thread. Love it. Don't worry, everyone's done it at least once. Whenever I'm feeling down I reread the Knack thread for the same hilarious posts. It's a thing of beauty.

Yeah.. better to spend some time in the others thread, to shit on a game (or to watch someone shit on a game!) is always more entertaining, especially if you don't even own the game.
You're killing the joy of a nice chat with these posts (not only you), is it too much to ask for more maturity? I don't know, bring your impressions maybe? What do you think of the gunplay, art direction? Did you like the storytelling, how the informations about the lore are told? Was the ending a disappointment? OST, acting, what about clichè? Things like that. Possibly after playing it.
I don't need to justify my €55 by the way, I enjoyed the game :|

bombshell

Huh. Is that ever explained in game? Because I'm not someone to miss tutorial stuff like that ever. Weird.

Still, the inability to quickly exit and make a dash for cover in front of you is an annoying omission. It's such a standard feature that the stickiness still remains conspicuous, even with this change.

Sorry for late reply, has been playing :)

Yes, the X to get out of cover was mentioned in chapter 1 I think.

I'm about an hour and a half in I think (I'm in the whorehouse), and I'm loving this shit! It's definitely the most "cinematic" game I've ever played. I think this is what David Cage has been trying to achieve but failing at. I watched the GiantBomb quick look and Jeff is totally wrong imo as to how the game's cinematic nature makes it great, it truly is amazing and have never seen anything like it. I feel like I'm playing a movie and it's blowing my mind.

Side note: I purchased this at Target because of the $15 off PS Network Card deal and they screwed up. The ad says Network Card but the deal in store is actually for a PS Plus card. The computer wouldn't accept the Network card deal, only the PS plus card, so I had to go to customer service to get it straightened out. So make sure you guys buying from Target aren't getting screwed. The ad specifically says Network Card so don't let Target fuck you over by only giving you a PS Plus card. I ended up getting the card for free because of my troubles so I basically git the game for $40.

Dominator

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this, it's just so fun. And no, it's not release day hype and wanting to feel like I got my money's worth. If I wasn't having fun, I would know it.

This game is great.

Question for someone in the know (and this is not to incite any wars; I'm genuinely curious and not at all well-versed in this stuff):

In addition to having some talented developers at the helm, is TO1886 able to reach its visual fidelity because it oftentimes has "very little going on behind the scenes?" I mean, a lot of the game looks to be selective-camera-angle canned animations triggered by a single button, with its most taxing moments only upping the stakes to a pretty sparse cover-shooter. It seems to be lacking in underlying 'systems', is what I'm trying to say.

Does this correlate at all with the amount of power you're able to allocate to visuals? Also, feel free to tell me that I'm completely mistaken; like I said, I'm really not around this stuff.

Cheers, Gaf.

nib95

Banned
Tesla's lab

It really is. The graphics whore in me is overwhelmed. Been doing an Amirox special and analysing all the different materials and textures etc. Everything feels really cohesive and believable. Every door, gate, rope, pot, pan, bottle, flask, bench, statue, table, gate, lamp, light, tile, flag etc. The only thing that has felt out of place is that the physics on pans have them a bit too light. They move too much from a little nudge (though the copper material on them, and matt black innards are dead on), but aside from that, there's a breathtaking attention to detail. One part on the air ship I was watching Percival and Izzy climb some rope and help each other up in the distance. They must have mo capped even that because the animations were spot on.

Relique

I might as well post my thoughts on the game. I am only at Chapter 5 but so far it is shaping up to be a great game.

Some positive thoughts:
- The game is a visual marvel, London looks absolutely stunning. I can't help but constantly stop and look around the environment.
- Superb writing and voice acting. Characters are all unique and interesting.
- I've not experienced the full story yet.. but what I encountered so far is intriguing if a little familiar.
- Character development is good thanks to great dialogue between Galahad and his peers. The chemistry between them is enviable.
- The QTEs are actually not that bad. There are not that many so far, and the ones that are there are don't feel overly out of place.
- Running from cover to cover is speedy and as intuitive as any other TPS from recent memory. I thought it looked a bit slow in the trailers but it actually plays quite well.
- The gunplay is absolutely great. Good recoil and feedback when firing. Popping headshots is very very satisfying. The guns themselves feel distinct and useful. I haven't had a throwaway weapon that I felt didn't belong.

Now for my minor gripes:
I have a few very minor complaints about the game:
- The intro is a touch too slow and overly scripted. However, I am talking about the first 15 minutes here. Everything beyond that and up to Chapter 5 has been very well paced IMO.
- I tend to take it slow and poke around the environment, so I couldn't help but notice that there are no character reflections at all. Reflections are not dynamic and are likely pre-baked.
- I don't think it's necessary to tell me that opening a door is triangle for every single door. Too many unnecessary icons in general. There should have just been one interact/open button for everything without showing any icons when you get close to the interacteable.

Overall, I feel it's a great freaking game. I've yet to finish it but what I've seen suggests that the bad reviews this game got were harsh and unwarranted. The only complaint I can agree with is the lack of replayability and content. You can tell that the game was designed to be played once or twice and put away. I think that's absolutely fine though, not every game needs multiplayer/new game+/DLC or whatever. I think there is absolutely room for short single player focused games like this. However, launching at a slightly lowered price point may have been appropriate ($10 less or so) to win over consumers who have grown accustomed to getting 20+ (and upwards of 70) hours out of most games released nowadays.

After all is said and done, I hope to see a sequel to this sooner rather than later. I will most likely be there day one to buy it.

I really don't get people judging games for what they're not instead of they they are. Seems like such a simple premise, for the record i also thought Ryse was at least decent, Knack likewise.

The problem is, this game promised something with its initial reveal trailer TOTALLY DIFFERENT than what we got. So, in this case, its the developers own fault.

Frillen

The problem is, this game promised something with its initial reveal trailer TOTALLY DIFFERENT than what we got. So, in this case, its the developers own fault.

I talked to a friend about the game today and he was shocked when he learned the game has no co-op mode, because he remembered the reveal trailer, which was most of the time showing off four people. As in hinting a co-op mode.

- The gunplay is absolutely great. Good recoil and feedback when firing. Popping headshots is very very satisfying. The guns themselves feel distinct and useful. I haven't had a throwaway weapon that I felt didn't belong.

Don't have the game yet (waiting on delivery) but this was one of my main takeaways from the PSX demo. I was switching weapons constantly - think I ended up using 6 or 7 of them - and I enjoyed every single one. I can't say that for most shooters.

I talked to a friend about the game today and he was shocked when he learned the game has no co-op mode, because he remembered the reveal trailer, which was most of the time showing off four people. As in hinting a co-op mode.

Well, I wouldn't say it promised co-op gameplay, but it definitely suggested the game would be focused on fighting horrifying monstrosities.

Got to chapter 9. Gonna call it a night for today. Put in about 7 hours.

I, for one, love the slow pace of the game. It goes along with my general style of play.

DevilFox

There aren't many werewolves, true.. after that? One of the very first thing they said was about the filmic experience iirc, and we got it.

wedding-crashers-wtf.gif

... and probably the second thing they said was about the lack of any online mode?

Setsuna

I for one enjoyed The Order 1886 although I can see how people who like "games" wouldn't like it, But thats mostly because ive noticed that most games these days just have you repeating the same limited mechanics ad nauseum so short games dont bother me as much.

If they made a sequel they should add more guns like the thermite, Buff the Arc Gun, and over all make guns like the Air burst thing more common.

hydruxo

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office_zps54021bf8.gif

There is a lot of ways to make the sequel better. But some reviewers really hurt this game more than needed. And thats me being really generous in my wording.

nib95

Banned
Anyone experienced this graphical artificating? Click here to see

This is usually a sign your GPU is dying, but sometimes it can just be due to overheating. I've had it before with my PC GPU's where clocking down the card sorted it. Give the console more ventilation, and hoover up the dust if it's built up in the vents. If that doesn't work, it could just be that your GPU is on its way out. But this is just me making an educated guess, it could always be something else.

Frillen

There aren't many werewolves, true.. after that? One of the very first thing they said was about the filmic experience iirc, and we got it.

wedding-crashers-wtf.gif

... and probably the second thing they said was about the lack of any online mode?

He is a casual gamer though, just watching the trailer. I don't think he ever followed the game after the reveal trailer.

jmaine_ph

These weapons OMG! So good! I can't lie I would love the murder some fools with these weapons in a multiplayer match. The beginning Chapter 8 would be a great level for multiplayer

Top Bottom