• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Superman S-Shield: Alien symbol vs S for Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Superman shield is one of the most recognizable symbols in pop culture. It's iconic, and a legitimate piece of Americana. It's arguably what makes superman's costume a costume instead of a leotard, and set the standard for every superhero thereafter to have a chest symbol.

Although in recent years two popular interpretations have popped up: Does the shield just stand for Superman or is it a representation of some vague kryptonian message.

For reference, here is the symbol as it has appeared over the years:

the-shield-of-superman-the-evolution-of-an-icon_51b9e7a8a4a84_w1500.jpg

At first we can see the logistics of the symbol's design, as it's obviously supposed to resemble a police badge. At this point in his history the S stood for Superman, or as Superboy succinctly put it:

superboy-symbol.jpg

reaching a bit with that last one but fair enough.

And so the story stood for a good long while that the S-Shield was an S for Superman, and that was it.

That is until 1978, and the landmark release of Superman the movie, where we see Jor-el also wearing the symbol as a coat of arms for the house of el.

I always liked that he has the S-curl.

This is credited as Brando's idea, and it would be the first time the symbol was used this way, as Lois would later use it to name Clark "Superman." This is what would start the slow transformation into making the shield stand for something more. The comics around this time, still in the silver age, would take a...different approach:
s-origin.jpg

For a little background, an all powerful sword forged by god at the creation of the universe drifts through space for eons destined to be found by Superman. The sword implanted the shield design into Jonathan Kent in a dream.

This would not last long, as DC would reboot their entire line in the first Crisis of Infinite Earths, starting from scratch. Rebooting Superman fell into the hands of writer, artist, and giant raging cunt John Byrne, who in an almost stubborn refusal of the emerging trend from the movie made it clear that the symbol was just an S, for Superman.

And this is the way it stayed for years, even while media such as the animated series and Smallville used the symbol as a coat of arms for the house of el, in the comics it was just an S, for Superman.

Except for a 1999 limited series where it turned this around, saying that it was actually a symbol from the Kent family instead, dating back to their Native American roots. Each of the five sides of the diamond shield represented the five Iroquois Indian tribes that remained, and the "S" was a snake, considered to be a symbol of healing.

snakeheal.jpg

This all changed in 2002, when Mark Waid would reboot Superman's origin in "Superman: Birthright," where instead of just the house of el the symbol was univeral for krypton, meaning hope. This is a major theme in the story.

And so the symbol would henceforth be of kryptonian origin, after almost 65 years of just being an S in the comics. The latest reboot, Man of Steel, co-opted Waid's "hope" explanation for their shield, in and of itself a tweaking of the 1940s version of the symbol.

In my opinion, while I understand the need to give a rather straightforward character like superman a sort of lore in the form an alien coat of arms I've never been a fan of it. It seems a bit silly and almost pretentious that the S is not just an S for Superman, but coincidentally an alien coat of arms that also happens to look like the letter S in the English alphabet. In Tom De Haven 2005 prose novel "It's Superman," Superman gets his costume from his then seamstress girlfriend, as he is working as a movie stuntman in the '30s.

"But I got a question. What's the S stand for-Saucer-Man or Saturn?"
"Take your pick"
"Okay," says Clark, "but why would they even have the letter S-if they're from Saturn? I mean, do they write in english there?"

When I see the symbol, I don't think of krypton, or hope, or whatever mumbo-jumbo that's been cooked up, I think of Superman, because the character of Superman is what made it important.

What do you prefer?
tumblr_mdt0bfXwOq1rju4g9o1_r1_250.gif

It's a symbol for the house of El.

Supergirl has the '97 one because it's a different branch of El.

dc+comics+new+52+supergirl+costume+design+concept+art.jpg

edit: ugh that pic is good to show her shield but is one of the best to show how bad the bottom half of her costume is. it's like they designed a shirt and didn't want to add pants so they just put another shield over her crotch.

Slayven

I like the House of El shit, cause it bridges his alien heritage with his new home into a happy accident

Sephzilla

I think I prefer it just being an S that means Superman. The coat of arms thing is a nice idea but the El family symbol using with the same letter that begins the name Superman, despite being two symbols from vastly different worlds that presumably use their different written language, is a little too convenient for my tastes.

I've always liked the brando one as Clark himself shouldn't decide to call himself that as its almost arrogant, which he is not. It should be metropolis putting 2 + 2 together and getting a cool 5 and him just running with it

- J - D -

Kryptonians speak English so they must have a working understanding of the English alphabet. But, their family crests vary from using script that are alien in appearance to very much English alphabet characters. Does Jor and fam understand that their crest looks like an 'S'? You'd think the -El family would want to change their symbol to an 'E' or something.

Slayven

Kryptonians speak English so they must have a working understanding of the English alphabet. But, their family crests vary from using script that are alien in appearance to very much English alphabet characters. Does Jor and fam understand that their crest looks like an 'S'? You'd think the -El family would want to change their symbol to an 'E' or something.

kryptonian_alphabet.gif

No one wants to be called 8 Man

Mindwipe

Also worth noting that 52 established that the symbol is explicitly the Kryptonian rune for "hope", and when turned upside down
"resurrection"
, not just the symbol of the House of El.

And yes, it's far better as an alien symbol.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Prefer it as an alien symbol that happens to look like an S, partially because I like it better when other people call him Superman first.

Toxi

Banned
I like the idea that it's a happy accident... Or maybe he saw the symbol and was like "Huh, my family crest looks like a S, I should totally call myself a superhero name starting with a S".
So I just googled to figure out who the Superman on the right was and...
Calvin Ellis, Kryptonian name Kalel, also known as Superman, is a Kryptonian president of the United States, on a different Earth in the Multiverse. On his Earth, he became Superman in addition to being the president.
Oh my God. This is the second most awesome fictional President of the United States ever. Michael Wilson would be proud.

they don't speak english

9726f8bcdd.jpg

I like the idea that it's a happy accident... Or maybe he saw the symbol and was like "Huh, my family crest looks like a S, I should totally call myself a superhero name starting with a S".

Oh my God. This is the second most awesome fictional President of the United States ever. Michael Wilson would be proud.

no that's yet another superman. the one in that pic is superman of earth 2, Val-Zod. in that universe his parents were killed (for speaking out or something similar) and he grew up alongside kal el and kara. he ended up on earth much later than either of them and was kept hidden by a shady organization until a bunch of heroes found him and convinced him to take out kal-el, who was mass murdering millions.

Raptor

House of El symbol, everything else is plain stupid.

An "S" lol.

And the MoS symbol is the very best of all.

Slayven

Wrong
You thinking this

The dude above is Val Zod, he was an orphan raised by Clark's family
tumblr_nfi2ywinUP1rpbm71o1_500.jpg

The original intent was clearly to be an "S". It's stupid but it is S for Superman. If it was an alien symbol it would be cool, though.

guek

Banned
It's a symbol for the house of El.

Supergirl has the '97 one because it's a different branch of El.

dc+comics+new+52+supergirl+costume+design+concept+art.jpg

edit: ugh that pic is good to show her shield but is one of the best to show how bad the bottom half of her costume is. it's like they designed a shirt and didn't want to add pants so they just put another shield over her crotch.
I hate the diaper shield but love the legs. Stupid sexy Supergirl!

As for the "S," I prefer the alien symbol explanation but don't mind the letter either.

DedValve

Banned
It hits me just how weird the S looks to me now. I never noticed but it looks way less than an S than I thought.

Toxi

Banned
Wrong
You thinking this

The dude above is Val Zod, he was an orphan raised by Clark's family
tumblr_nfi2ywinUP1rpbm71o1_500.jpg
Goddamnit, I fell victim to thinking all comic book black people look the same.

Cal Ellis is still the 2nd best fictional President of the US.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would just say "Superman" came from the Kents interpreting the symbol as an "S", rather than the other way around and it being a stupid fucking coincidence.

It's like how Squirtle is referred as the "turtle pokemon" by the PokeDex. Do they have turtles? I don't think so, Perhaps they developed the word "turtle" and "squirt" from Squirtles.

I like 1941 and the two latest movies. That circle-blob serif is dumb looking.

It clearly originally just an S, then in 1978 they made a story for it. You can't really say someone who thinks/sees it as an S is wrong unless you think life started in 1978. If you do, you're probably the same kind of person who thinks America was established in 1981 so you really ain't shit anyway lol.

Toxi

Banned
I would just say the Superman came from interpreting the symbol as an "S", rather than the other way around and it being a stupid fucking coincidence.

It's like how Squirtle is referred as the "turtle pokemon" by the PokeDex. Do they have turtles? I don't think so, Perhaps they developed the word "turtle" and "squirt" from Squirtles.

I like 1941 and the two latest movies. That circle-blob serif is dumb looking.
They do have a declining population of Indian elephants though.

tumblr_mdieu6U7q41qh4ymo.png

tumblr_mdietweslQ1qh4ymo.png

NEO0MJ

Yep, line Jonny Storm, John Hammond, Hank Pym, Steve Rogers, and Clint Burton up with no mask and you realized they are the same dude.

*Looks at all maskless side by side*

It's true! Though old man Rogers stands out as more unique now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom