• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Scotland, please remember that Remain there was at 62%. Yes, that's higher than 50%, that means Scotland wanted to Remain, sure, but it leaves 38% of those who voted Leave, and 38% is a big number.

I'm sure some people in England will be willing to trade places with them although we can't guarantee that they will not be attacked for being Scottish immigrants.

*Splinter

Well your username is appropriate, that's for certain. We should hope the UK fails? Such a friendly statement. Let's actively wish ruin upon another nation to illustrate how necessary and great the EU is. That's disgusting.

Some of the other sentiments expressed in this thread are shameful, such as feeling that the elderly vote should hold less value than others, should be discounted, considered irrelevant. I thought neogaf is firmly on the side of equality. If similar statements were made about women or minorities you'd be rightly dogpiled and banned. Is it that some animals are more equal than others?
I read through the entire thread today, there is precisely one post suggesting the old vote is somehow worth less.

And if the UK fails we did it to ourselves. The rest of the EU will hopefully get some positives from this, because in the shirt term we've done some damage to them as well.

DavidDesu

Regarding Scotland, please remember that Remain there was at 62%. Yes, that's higher than 50%, that means Scotland wanted to Remain, sure, but it leaves 38% of those who voted Leave, and 38% is a big number.

48% is an even bigger number for those UK wide voting to Remain.... not sure what you're trying to say, but I've seen some right wing/Anti independence commentators in the last few days try this one on, decrying the undemocratic nature of disagreeing with 38% of the population, completely disregarding the much greater democratic will of the other 60%!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Here we go, first question saying he is naive to say he can have both, immigration and free trade

His response

Immigration at the heart of all talks, it will be challenging, will get as closely as possible to achieve that

No General Election, they still have a mandate

thats fine then. Difficult to get both immigration controls and free trade, priority is immigration. Solution - leave and have no trade deal. Everyone is happy - right?

god fucking hell

Every single voting area voted for remain. EVERY SINGLE one. Think about that. 60+% is a clear victory/majority in votes/elections and if not a single voting area/constituency/county/whatever has a different result, then that's one hell of a message. As is, there is almost a 2/3 majority in Scottland for remain.

Also consider that a part of the leave voters in Scottland are misguided supporters of Scottish independence that thought "if we vote to leave EU then we will get another indypendence referendum". An attitude that Sturgeon has been fighting very hard before the referendum (because if there hadn't been a clear Scottish pro remain vote, she wouldn't have had a mandate to go for another indyref).

accel

38% is not a big number, 62% is a massive massive mandate, particularly when the vote is against the status quo.

That 38 will be dwindling now with each passing day of what Brexit means.

What I meant to say is this: Scotland already had an independence referendum. They voted Stay. Yes, it's now different and the margin on that Stay wasn't big either, but it happened and it was Stay. Let's even say we have a second independence referendum, ignoring all the difficulties from the Westminster. Will the dissatisfaction with Brexit be enough to convert what was formerly Stay into Leave-and-join-EU? I am not sure, it might be another close call, especially with Scotland doing worse than the rest of UK economically.

Scotland would need its own referendum in the event of independence, so who knows how it'd vote then. The fallout from Brexit would probably shape a lot of minds.

Yes, I agree. It just doesn't seem all that clear to me that the result would be Leave (the UK).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know GAF keeps saying it wont happen, but this is now everyone (except May) who has now said immigration must be controlled as part of any deal...

so it is happening, but it is just we don't know what they will get, and I get it it I do, GAF want the EU to screw the UK to the floor, but we are a strong country, we are not Norway or Switzerland...and I have said it lots, there will be a deal done where we control immigration and get a excellent trade deal, it will be worded so both teams feel the won...that is politics

If everyone including May stepped forward and said they were all for turning the tide, it would make about as much sense as what they're saying about Europe right now.

My wife is Japanese - do I get automatic right to work over there? Not sure I want to be here anymore.

What did boris say when getting into that taxi the other day about access to the single market and the free moment of people?

from the bbc

There can be "no single market a la carte" for the UK, EU leaders have warned, after meeting in Brussels to discuss the UK vote to leave the bloc.
Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, said anyone wanting access to the EU's internal market had to adhere to strict criteria "without exception".
There could be "no negotiation without notification", he said.
The German and French leaders and the Council President said the same.

EloKa

What I meant to say is this: Scotland already had an independence referendum. They voted Stay.
Wasn't the main reason for "stay" that they were promised to stay in the EU?
afaik the vote was more or less "stay in the EU (because of the UK) or leave the EU (because of UK)"

guit3457

Basques have been pretty chill for the last years. Nationalism remains, but separatism has imploded and nearly died out. It's Catalonia the one giving us a lot of headaches.

Rajoy won't go easy on Scotland. He's not an ally.

As I said before:

Basque Country is not a problem anymore since ETA has been defeated.

The last poll (March 2016) from the own Basque Gov is 65% against the independence. Cataluña is slowly going that way too.

Spain will certainly veto the entrance of a non-independent Scotland in the EU. Scotland should be independent BEFORE applying to the EU otherwise they are out at the same time than the rest of the UK

KampferZeon

Neo Member
Well, since 52% followed him, yeah, we believe, that he represents most of the UK.

Interesting facts about the concept of majority mandate in this referendum

500K deaths in england and wales last year http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/12158930/Biggest-annual-rise-in-deaths-for-almost-fifty-years-prompts-warnings-of-crisis-in-elderly-care.html

Leave 52% actually won by 1269K number of votes

So in 3 years time, when uk finally exits the EU, ...

Who knows, maybe the majority has changed to pro eu ( as u know the statistics trend is over 60 voters are pro leave, and the young is pro eu )

Good news for social scientists

accel

afaik the vote was more or less "stay in the EU (because of the UK) or leave the EU (because of UK)"

Who knows what was the main reason people voted Stay. Perhaps for some it was like you describe and they voted Stay because of the EU, but others voted Stay for other reasons and who knows what the breakdown is.

Arksy

Given how polling orgs completely ballsed up the last GE and now this, I'm not sure how much merit that would have anyway.

Considering there were dozens of conferences and talks about why pollsters got it so wrong, I would be interested to hear their thoughts now that this one was incorrect as well.

cabot

Still think pushing for a full on second independence referendum within the short term is not the best play. We really have to see the mid-term fallout, and maybe around 2020 we gather our thoughts on the aftermath and push it or not.

Only situation I'd go for it sooner would be if we were guaranteed a place in the EU, which seems unlikely.

ogbg

Nobody really knows the main reason but this study would suggest that it was simple financials:

http://www.scottishreferendumstudy.com/files/2015/01/RHUL-slides.pdf

Most people already thought that the UK would vote to leave the EU and most people thought they would be worse off under independence.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No I figure we this out.

We will take the Norway deal with limited passporting for banks. EU trade and movement of people .

Pay a tarrif . EU the funds to us.

Banks find ways to loophole trading Paris Frankfurt gets stronger so does London and Edinburgh. But the EU hold the cards.

We can trade with EU and outside to.

Meanwhile murdoch been waiting on the wings. BBC is disbanded and he buys it out , controls the media. You think the sun and times were bad imagine if the BBC were as bad .
So what ? In this new deal we won't be number two in the EU partners but by ebough to influence people . Also outside the EU. If mudorch has the way to control the population . Distrupt votes and cause fear. He could spread it across Europe.

Mother fuckers better call in James Bond. To stop this

Zafir

Given how polling orgs completely ballsed up the last GE and now this, I'm not sure how much merit that would have anyway.

Apparently online polls were actually fairly accurate of the leave result.

The problem was, no one trusted them because of the precedent which the GE set.

DavidDesu

What I meant to say is this: Scotland already had an independence referendum. They voted Stay. Yes, it's now different and the margin on that Stay wasn't big either, but it happened and it was Stay. Let's even say we have a second independence referendum, ignoring all the difficulties from the Westminster. Will the dissatisfaction with Brexit be enough to convert what was formerly Stay into Leave-and-join-EU? I am not sure, it might be another close call, especially with Scotland doing worse than the rest of UK economically.

Yes, I agree. It just doesn't seem all that clear to me that the result would be Leave (the UK).

A large part of the No vote was telling people the only way to guarantee Scotland's place in the EU was with a No vote and keeping it part of the UK. Many people who didn't care either way but who had good jobs reliant on EU trade were pretty much won to the No camp on this one issue over and above anything else.

Things have fundamentally changed, and anecdotal evidence suggests a lot of those people firmly changing their minds towards a Yes vote now.

IF the EU can offer hope that Scotland can get preferential treatment to join the EU as a result of this then it feels highly highly likely it will be a Yes vote next time. Speaking of the EU they seem to be pretty positive to Scotland in the last few days. Kind words towards us. Sure it's a complex issue but Scotland is hardly some third world country, as much as many like to proclaim it would be outside of the UK (which is heading to lose so much of it's wealth and status the way things are going). Scotland already conforms to every EU rule and this is a very new situation never encountered before. I find it hard to imagine that a good deal cannot be made to make it relatively simple for Scotland to continue with it's EU membership and be allowed to carry on as it has done so for decades.

I have more faith in that happening than I do of anything good coming from Scotland remaining hostage in the UK with twits like Johnson and Farage in the driving seat for generations!

Maledict

They didn't balls this up. The final results were so close it could easily have gone either way - definitely within the margin of error. The GE was absolutely a cock-up, but the final few days polling was only showing a very slight remain lead, and instead we got a very slight Leave lead.

Daemul

France cynicallly intends to offer Britain an EEA- that excludes passporting, but gives them a migration cap, and single market access.

This is a brilliant move: "you get less Poles, but we want your banks." It would be in France's interests to encourage UK out to get banks.

This would leave some stuff shirt like Crabb in a disastrous position: Paris and Berlin would have handed him a deal only "bad for bankers."

But the cynical French deal would be exactly the kind of cap migration, free movement for us and single market deal that the public want.

The next Tory muchkin leader would then be a hideous position: have his tax base slasshed at by loss of banks as his voters rejoice.

Paris and Frankfurt would emerge as enormous winners by ending passporting. Hugely boosting popularity of French and German leadership.

/British public will be left moronically clapping the huge triumph of a few less Poles and the punishment for "bankers" and tax base slashed.

//City analysts I met look with unbrindled distain on a Tory leadership class they think are simply muppets. No clue what's about to hit them.

Can't even be mad at France, this plan is brilliant.

Par Score

Polling organisations haven't been doing a great job recently. Probably best that they keep their head down
Considering there were dozens of conferences and talks about why pollsters got it so wrong, I would be interested to hear their thoughts now that this one was incorrect as well.

Polling got the GEs right in 2005 and 2010, got every London Mayoral election right, got the last two Scottish Parliament elections right, got the Scottish Indy Ref right and got Corbyn's win right.

Online polls got the EU Ref right too, just phone pollsters were way off. The 2015 GE was a disaster, but apart from that pollsters have a pretty good record in recent history.

theaface

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OT3| This is fine

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OT3| The cake is a lie

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OT3| The last time you're applauding here

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OT3| Credit rating downgraded to Junck

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OT3| Project Tears

Eh, the polls were more varied this time around relative to the GE. Some accurate, some less so.

So there was a wide variety of polls all indicating different results? I don't see how that's helpful if that was the case.

Par Score said:
Polling got the GEs right in 2005 and 2010, got every London Mayoral election right, got the last two Scottish Parliament elections right, got the Scottish Indy Ref right and got Corbyn's win right.

Online polls got the EU Ref right too, just phone pollsters were way off. The 2015 GE was a disaster, but apart from that pollsters have a pretty good record in recent history.

Thanks for this.

BibiMaghoo

It literally means most of it, which is the whole problem of the situation!
All the people, who didn't vote, are even worst then everybody else.

Yes, and 52 is not most of 100, it is greater than half and a technical majority, it is not nearly all of the whole. It is not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom