• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Here's something to lighten the mood a bit:

fox-news-brexit-UN.jpg

fox news are really terrible, wtf

What was the cultural interference? Being told you shouldn't have toxic metals in your food? Too much?

Please.

I'm trying to explain how people feel. This is an emotive issue. You clearly are incapable of seeing their side so it's not worth trying to have a conversation with people like you. That's really your best retort? Do one.

kharma45

And can you with a straight face say it is doing as well as it did 6 years ago? It's facing constant cuts.

Those PFI loans have come back to bite it but on the whole I've no concerns at present.

Ask me again at the end of the parliament. Then again, health is devolved so I likely experience a somewhat different experience from you.

hawk2025

I don't disagree but to state that Britain is fucked without the EU is disingenuous. There could equally be scenarios whereby we prosper. Equally there could be scenarios under which citizens of other countries make their voices heard.

Going back to why this has happened - People go on about how the older folk are all out of touch for voting leave. What they forget is that the EU of today is NOT what my dads generation voted for when we joined the common market in the 70s. They voted for free trade, not political and cultural interference and this is the first chance they've had to protest at feeling basically lied to about what being in Europe would mean.

You can't just imply everything has equal probability and handwave it away with your own scenarios.

El-Suave

David Allen Green, who writes about law for the Financial Times, wrote this interesting article that might give some hope

https://next.ft.com/content/3073daed-7458-38ed-826b-5b6d1dc81dad

His tweets:

https://twitter.com/DavidAllenGreen

That seems unrealistic, I'm afraid. You can't expect somebody to act as if nothing happened when a friend loads a gun, points it at you and threatens to shoot but then puts it away. Even if you forgive the sentiment there still is a loaded gun with a bullet for you around. The article wasn't used because the prime minister basically resigned and he would look even worse if he set things in motion on his way out. If Britain suffers he'd be blamed and vilified twice. Let his successor do it, it's totally understandable from his perspective. Plus, the act is so historic and monumentaly, you don't do it on your own without many consultations first.

Wasn't the whole purpose of creating an unified currency and forming an economic bloc so that European countries could have more economic clout in dealing with countries like China, Russia, and the US?

Isn't leaving that bloc to get more favorable trade terms like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you're not wet? But I suppose if the whole concept of the EU is defunct then it makes sense to start early.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm trying to explain how people feel. This is an emotive issue. You clearly are incapable of seeing their side so it's not worth trying to have a conversation with people like you. That's really your best retort? Do one.

What is the cultural interference that you mentioned?

geordiemp

He seems to be of the opinion that the UK has more negotiating leverage than the United States. No point entertaining such a person.

I was pointing out that a dictatorial / combative EU might not go down so well with many dis-enfranchised citizens in other parts of EU. Go read some of Merkels comments today, she is implying the same thing.

How many other Eu countries may invoke similar votes soon ?

No idea what you are on about, what has that got to do with USA ?

That seems unrealistic, I'm afraid.

There's also the fact that while England will still technically be part of the conversation until they officially exist the EU, their voice will carry little to no weight in actual practice given the situation, more than likely.

I've been filled with such deep fear all day that it's spiralling into deep depression and loss of all hope. I honestly don't know if I will ever recover from this; this has been the darkest year in my life personally and knowing I will lose my rights as a worker, as a member of society and as a minority because of those uneducated enough to vote for the same people they're representing has thrown me. How can people be so wilfully ignorant in this day and age? It's true: we really do get the world we deserve.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
There's also the fact that while England will still technically be part of the conversation until they officially exist the EU, their voice will carry little to no weight in actual practice given the situation, more than likely.

don't we still have a veto until we leave?

kharma45

I've been filled with such deep fear all day that it's spiralling into deep depression and loss of all hope. I honestly don't know if I will ever recover from this; this has been the darkest year in my life personally and knowing I will lose my rights as a worker, as a member of society and as a minority because of those uneducated enough to vote for the same people they're representing has thrown me. How can people be so wilfully ignorant in this day and age? It's true: we really do get the world we deserve.

Oh please. Don't pretend we're suddenly going to see workers get shit on and a return to the Victorian times.

don't we still have a veto until we leave?

Yes

Izuna

Banned
I just love how Leave voters are so fed up of explaining themselves or wanting to have any real debate. "350 million", "immigration", "Norway!", "Greece", "Sovereignty!"

hawk2025

I was pointing out that a dictatorial / combative EU might not go down so well with many dis-enfranchised citizens in other parts of EU. Go read some of Merkels comments today, she is implying the same thing.

How many other Eu countries may invoke similar votes soon ?

No idea what you are on about, what has that got to do with USA ?

There is absolutely *nothing* dictatorial or combative about renegotiating deals and giving the UK worse terms.

This is exactly what people voted for.

You go out, you come to the negotiation table with different bargaining power. Your view of the situation is completely off.

You can't just imply everything has equal probability and handwave it away with your own scenarios.

OK, so lets replace the word equally with possibly. I'm of the stance that we should wait and see. Preaching doom one day in is just silly. Plenty of economists said that leaving the ERM would be a disaster. It was shit for a while but it panned out ok. I still think there is a strong right wing sentiment across several EU countries that is gathering strength and could further unsettle the EU. I could possibly be wrong. We just dont know.

Metroxed

I don't get this.

If access to a common market alone makes a country more prosperous than full economic union it would prove the nationalists right. So in order not to prove them right, which we assume they are, we must take special steps to make sure they do even worse than full members. Uh? What?

We don't know if it does, that's what some assume. The point I'm trying to make is that it would be undesirable if it is proved that the UK can get rid of all the EU "disadvantages" while preserving all the benefits (namely the common market). Or to find out that in the near future Polish or Romanians will have a harder time getting work permits in the UK, but British goods and people can still move freely through the EU.

That would send the wrong message. Why shouldn't then my own country be able to benefit from all the good while keeping away all the bad of the EU? That's the likely problem that the EU would face if they decide to pursue some sort of "status quo" where everything stays mostly the same.

The EU needs to show that things are different if you're not in the EU. That some benefits exist for those who stay in. It's like a club. If you decide to leave a club because you don't agree with its rules, no one should expect to keep getting the club's benefits afterwards, it's unfair to those who stay inside.

avaya

Please.

I feel no kinship to any of these people. They are all the other to me. As alien as any alien. I share no common bond with them.

operon

Oh please. Don't pretend we're suddenly going to see workers get shit on and a return to the Victorian times.

Yes
Plz some of us are allowed to be worried. No need to be condescending.
When all we have here is Sammy fucking Wilson to tell us everything will be fine Britain's place on s flat earth will be fine it's not reassuring

So what happens when a victorious campaign led by xenophobia doesn't decrease the amount of "immigrants" on the street? Do people who supported it for xenophobic reasons actually educate themselves on what's actually been causing their problems and how they can resolve them or do they continue to take the simple rout and get even angrier at the scapegoated minorities they're targeting?
In your fictional world scenario? I don't know.
It exists in only your head. You should know the answer.

However, here in the real world, there have been some problems caused by slapdash immigration policies and a drive towards multiculturism without a strong focus on integration and social cohesion. Not all the concerns have been solely whipped up out of nothing by the likes of Farage.
If the politicians do something about the real problems it will make it easier to dispel the myths surrounding the non-problems.

geordiemp

Wasn't the whole purpose of creating an unified currency and forming an economic bloc so that European countries could have more economic clout in dealing with countries like China, Russia, and the US?

Isn't leaving that bloc to get more favorable trade terms like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you're not wet? But I suppose if the whole concept of the EU is defunct then it makes sense to start early.

Yes the goal is correct. To do that you just need a group of countries that have a free trade agreement and a common market. FULL STOP. Britain and even Boris has always been in favour of that.

You dont have to have a single currency. You dont have to be the federal states of Europe. That is the very big difference in views, UK joined a common market, not a EU with a president and the like.

Wouldn't it be in the EU's best interest to rip off the band-aid though? Not that they're necessarily equipped to do so, but I'd expect diplomatic relations to turn very frosty, irrespective of all the platitudes offered today.

Maybe, remember CAC and DAX dropped more than FTSE today, and Milan almost 12 %. Its not just UK that needs this, everybody is sweating.

My gut feel is there will be lots of noise and chest beating from all sides, and in 3 months some magical deal will be worked out with a new UK government. Lets just see eh ?

Its no surprise Germany has a contingency plan leaked a little in a german paper, I bet UK has to, and I bet they talked allot and are still talking. I believe that some people are smarter than we give credit for. Lets see where this goes.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Those PFI loans have come back to bite it but on the whole I've no concerns at present.

Ask me again at the end of the parliament. Then again, health is devolved so I likely experience a somewhat different experience from you.

Fair enough.

I'm amused how I'm reading that Article 50 would be used as a levarage for a better deal for the UK inside EU.

For that to happen, the other party needs to be afraid of you pushing the red button, not actively you wanting to press the button because they don't fucking care anymore.

avaya

There is absolutely *nothing* dictatorial or combative about renegotiating deals and giving the UK worse terms.

This is exactly what people voted for.

You go out, you come to the negotiation table with different bargaining power. Your view of the situation is completely off.

Thank you. Though most exiters think they have landed some sort of mortal blow, that this will turn the flank of all negotiations etc. Sheer delusion.

danm999

Taking a harsh stance with the UK won't be good for the EU.
We buy a lot of stuff off them.

I suppose it might help the bruised ego of the petty Remainers for a few days.
What is it about authoritarian lefties that they always have to punish everyone that doesn't agree with them?

Sorry, this is really delusional. The EU is going to take the UK for an absolute ride.

They may not be alone either. Wouldn't be surprised if other nations take advantage of this situation.

Blader

I'm being realistic, not condescending. The amount of hyperbolic, puerile nonsense I've read today is fucking ridiculous.

Haven't there been some GAFers who've already said today that their jobs are now being moved (or cut altogether)? I think it's plenty fair for people to be worried about what's going to happen to them, as things are already happening.

OceanBlue

OK, so lets replace the word equally with possibly. I'm of the stance that we should wait and see. Preaching doom one day in is just silly. Plenty of economists said that leaving the ERM would be a disaster. It was shit for a while but it panned out ok. I still think there is a strong right wing sentiment across several EU countries that is gathering strength and could further unsettle the EU. I could possibly be wrong. We just dont know.
It hasn't panned out at all. It's been one day. One of the big economic problems with this exit is that now no one knows what is going to happen to Britain and the EU, and that is going to affect future investments. Sure the initial panic was big, but that's not what people are really afraid of.

We don't know if it does, that's what some assume. The point I'm trying to make is that it would be undesirable if it is proved that the UK can get rid of all the EU "disadvantages" while preserving all the benefits (namely the common market). Or to find out that in the near future Polish or Romanians will have a harder time getting work permits in the UK, but British goods and people can still move freely through the EU.

That would send the wrong message. Why shouldn't then my own country be able to benefit from all the good while keeping away all the bad of the EU? That's the likely problem that the EU would face if they decide to pursue some sort of "status quo" where everything stays mostly the same.

The EU needs to show that things are different if you're not in the EU. That some benefits exist for those who stay in. It's like a club. If you decide to leave a club because you don't agree with its rules, no one should expect to keep getting the club's benefits afterwards, it's unfair to those who stay inside.

So why not punish Norway for not being a member of the EU? If you can collapse their economy it would send a strong message.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So what's the voting situation now? I'm sure once the UK starts the article 50 proceedings they'll lose their vote but what about now until October? Also reading art. 49 now the UK could come back at some point, but that would be a very difficult road for them.

It would plainly be immoral for the UK to exercise any voice within the EU from today until Article 50 just as it would plainly be immoral for any British civil servant working in the EU to draw a salary from hard-working European taxpayers they intend to stab in the back.

Shito

Sorry, this is really delusional. The EU is going to take the UK for an absolute ride.

They may not be alone either. Wouldn't be surprised if other nations take advantage of this situation.
US will most certainly do.
And a state-run China newspaper already qualified UK as a "weak country" now.

So why not punish Norway for not being a member of the EU? If you can collapse their economy it would send a strong message.

Because Norway were never part of the EU, left then tried to negotiate favourable terms. They negotiated what always being outside of the EU. The UK has no such leverage and is in a completely different position.

What is the cultural interference that you mentioned?

I'm trying to explain the sentiment of the older generation, I'm not saying that I agree with it. There's a huge swing between remain and leave when you look at younger and older voters. I don't buy the "most old people are racist" argument.

zpiders

Reading some of the posts in this thread, you would think the UK is going to turn into a third world country over the weekend.

CrunchyB

Is more than that.

If EU (Germany) would have allowed Greece of the hook of austerity and forgiving part of it's debt, EU would have been still EU. They could have took the hit, considering Greece debt impact on the EU GDP (laughable). Oh! yeah, some governs would be in hands of left parties, spooky...

If the EU forgave Greek debt on a significant scale and refinanced the place, Italy and Spain would have held up their hands the very next day, demanding some of that free cash. That would have collapsed the system.

I personally think the EU could have handled Greece better, but there was no obvious solution at hand. But perhaps now is the time to restructure all of Southern-Europe's debts, Germany will want to improve the EU's cohesion. Maybe some good will come of this....

It hasn't panned out at all. It's been one day. One of the big economic problems with this exit is that now no one knows what is going to happen to Britain and the EU, and that is going to affect future investments. Sure the initial panic was big, but that's not what people are really afraid of.

I'm talking about 1992 mate...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

avaya

Norway follows all of the EU laws and rules. Pays into the EU budget.

This is what the UK wants? It's basically the current terms but worse with no say on making the rules. That is the best case scenario.

The immense stupidity of the situation can not be stressed enough.

Norway is not a member of the EU, never was. They are just part of the EEA.

If the EU forgave Greek debt on a significant scale and refinanced the place, Italy and Spain would have held up their hands the very next day, demanding some of that free cash. That would have collapsed the system.

I personally think the EU could have handled Greece better, but there was no obvious solution at hand. But perhaps now is the time to restructure all of Southern-Europe's debts, Germany will want to improve the EU's cohesion. Maybe some good will come of this....

Having better conditions to return our debt and Italy's, wouldn't have collapsed any system...

danm999

US will most certainly do.
And a state-run China newspaper already qualified UK as a "weak country" now.

Doing a quick search of my local news and major banks in Australia are shutting down FOREX trading because Aussies are trying to gobble up cheap Pounds.

Likely everyone will stick the knife in at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom