• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kornoponing

Neo Member
Well now that they voted to Leave, maybe the next step is to vote on the details? With the EU do they want to be friends with benefits or a full divorce with restraining order....

Well I don't know about other coutries but the Netherlands export for €38 billion to the UK (on a total of €482,31). We really need those benefits to be good...

Ah well, let's see how the "common man" will react to the next financial crisis. :(

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who doesn't understand economics that well: why did Japanese economic took a huge hit while the US for example didn't?

Japan wants a weak yen, because they export a lot. So a strong yen is bad for them.

I don't have much knowledge about the US so I leave that answer to someone else...But maybe a 50% answer helps >_>...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who doesn't understand economics that well: why did Japanese economic took a huge hit while the US for example didn't?

It's 2:40am on the east coast of the US right now. The markets aren't even close to opening yet.

Toxi

Banned
welcome our new glorious leader!

Boris-thumbs-up.jpg
donald-trump-two-thumbs-up-728x485.jpg

SomTervo

We fucked it.

Marks the fifth vote I have ever made in my life and the fifth time the vote has gone the complete opposite direction; with things always getting worse after. Logic and reason has failed again.

Quite simple. The EU has been diluting UK sovereignty for years. EU law stands above British law.

If by diluting you mean improving, then yeah sure.

Enjoy your dismantled NHS, fucked up America-style food regulations, thrust even further to the devastating right wing, wtc.

It's 3am in new york. wall street can't start trading til the stock markets open.

This actually overlapped with business hours in japan.

GHG

Gold Member
Nah they don't care about the money, they care about the Polish immigrants steelin dur jerbs and those people who sit on a carpet a couple of times a day.

Really?

So instead of thinking that people could have come up with some logical and valid reasons to vote leave and to try and understand them you choose to remain ignorant and go with this? Do you really think that 17 million people voted leave for those reasons? And that all those who voted leave are xenophobic and racist? 17 million people?

Whatever makes you comfortable I guess but there is great irony in posts like this.

I don't think anyone who voted leave has answered this yet:

How exactly is leaving the EU helping with the immigraton of non-EU citizens when the UK wasn't a Schengen country to begin with?
I mean judging by the imagery used(burkas and what not) there doesn't seem to be a strong resentment against Italians or Austrians coming to the UK?

So this is a mess but Schengen basically means no inner border controls (except airports and maybe boats for some reason). I'm pretty sure that despite this you can enter the other countries solely on the basis of ID card if any, and a passport is definitely enough.

If UK magically left everything they could instate a visa.

Window

This should have never been up for a referendum...

With the markets taking such a hit. I guess most investors didn't bank on this outcome coming true?

nelchaar

Historically, has there ever been a case of a country leaving a federation/union doing better after they gained independence?

Thinking back to Lebanon; wish we never gained independence from France. We're basically a corrupt shithole.

Worst part is that the older generation who voted leave work 'the be around to see what happens the young working generations are going to be hit hard because of this.

Jinjo

Plenty of countries have Independence Days, esp. in Africa and east Europe

Yes but those come from fighting of years of war or governmental oppression. They willingly joined the EU years ago and they sure are free to leave if they want to.

Metroxed

I actually hope this somehow leads to an Irish reunification and a Scottish independence.

Whatever happens, really interesting times ahead, although I am sorry for the people who voted to stay and now might have to face some unexpected consequences.

....or they might end up better off without us, who knows.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This actually illustrates a question I had about this - why were/are healthy economic decisions and sane immigration policy framed as being mutually exclusive? I read plenty about how bad this could be for Britain's economy (and that is panning out, in the short term) but even Vox admitted that staying left them with little to no power over their own immigration policy. This seems insane when cheap labor can be used for wage suprression and terrorism can have a negative impact on economics, beyond the human toll. Why was there virtually zero middle ground on this?
Because hint wage suppression isn't inherently bad for the economy, the US economy is booming, but true middle and low class wealth/quality of life hasn't dramatically increased. Big business looks for cheap labor for a reason.

oti

Banned
Is this vote actually binding or can the UK government ignore it? (Not looking at the consequences of doing that)

Do you want a Civil War? Here's the thing, even if the Leavers actually see all the lies of the UKIP idiots and the short term consequences, they will still stay in the Leave camp just to not appear like they made a mistake.

23qwerty

Really?

So instead of thinking that people could have come up with some logical and valid reasons to vote leave and to try and understand them you choose to remain ignorant and go with this? If you really think that 17 million people voted leave for those reasons? And that all those who voted leave are xenophobic and racist? 17 million people?

Whatever makes you comfortable I guess but there is great irony in posts like this.

S3BQmdA.jpg

ZenTzen

loving the retractions from the Leave party, conveniently hiding that they'll still have to pay those 350k and be subjected to EU immigration laws if they want access to the freemarket, and now they wont get any benefits they had from being part of the EU once they leave

Plenty of countries have Independence Days, esp. in Africa and east Europe

Not from the EU. Eastern European countries have independence days from the numerous liberations they've had from tyranny. Actual proper tyranny, of genocide, repression, deportations and the like. I.e. nothing like what the EU has 'done' to Britain, but try telling that to many UKIP supporters. Some of them are genuinely convinced we've had it as bad, I think.

Really?

So instead of thinking that people could have come up with some logical and valid reasons to vote leave and to try and understand them you choose to remain ignorant and go with this? If you really think that 17 million people voted leave for those reasons? And that all those who voted leave are xenophobic and racist? 17 million people?

Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom