• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouldyK

Maybe this was all an elaborate marketing campaign for Independence Day Resurgence.

52% of Rotten Tomatoes...

51.9% Win for the UK to leave the EU...

Maybe he's right to call it Independence Day because both of them are things which shouldn't have existed.

Liamario

Banned
Ireland won't be leaving EU. Potentially Ireland can become the English speaking capital of the EU. With our low rate corporation tax you could see more business set up here.
Yep, Ireland isn't going anywhere. In fact, I don't trust the irish government as being competent enough to run the country by themselves.

This.

People are not happy and they wanted "change", and they took any change that came first without even looking into it.

I can absolutely say this was probably one of the most moronic move ever pulled off.

Going to be comical how awful the situation is about to become, and to see them realize in horror what they have done.

I'm sure they'll find someone other then themselves to blame.

So there's a really good chance of Britain goes through with this we'll see a sovereign Scotland and united Ireland? Sounds like a complete disaster for the uk

FStop7

Banned
Soros saw this coming. He got more involved in directly managing his money since the 2008 crisis and he was buying gold a week or two ago.

The EU just lost its third biggest economy. They may attempt to be non accommodating to make others not want to leave but they need the UK as well.

Yeah, but the Leave side claimed that we will get preferential status, keeping all the nice free trade stuff while at the same time having none of the things we don't want, which is utter bollocks.

I think the friends with benefits approach would be the best way but what leverage does the UK have.

All the biggest businesses have already planned to move if the Brexit ever happened.

Sorry but the EU should not allow them to be friends with benefits. You can't allow a nation to pick and choose what it wants out of the EU or else more will follow.

Theecliff

Banned
Things are going to be mental for a while but 'survival of the fittest' and all that, we have to adapt now. David Cameron has to go. We've got 2 years to put sufficient plans in place. We can make Brexit a success story long term.

Stay strong, BritGAF.
welcome our new glorious leader!

Boris-thumbs-up.jpg

trembli0s

John Mann said "it's a Labour vote that caused this Leave vote"

Meanwhile, him and his colleagues have been told to say:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/746213609399738371

Lab MPs been sent these lines to take ''Corbyn showed that he's far closer to centre of gravity of British public than other politicians.'

You couldn't make it up.

Labor is absolutely dead now, isn't it? Without their base in Wales, the North, and Scotland what do they even do?

jonno394

Tell that to millions of people's portfolios in every country on Earth. Actually don't, because they won't give a fuck.

I expect the aggregate value of mine to decrease anywhere from 5-10% in a single day and that might just be the beginning. I mean I'm not planning to retire anytime soon but really we could have avoided all this if the people of the fucking United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland didn't do the equivalent of California leaving the United States.

I wonder hiw many people in the UK "give a fuck" that your portfolio is now down?

Dear leave campaign if you support the NHS, you must realise a huge portion of the NHS workforce are immigrants a lot of those people may now up and leave. There is also now no barrier to the tories cutting the throat of the NHS and bleeding it dry.

As someone who is disabled and has many family members who are disabled you may have just sealed our fates.

Oriel

Well now that they voted to Leave, maybe the next step is to vote on the details? With the EU do they want to be friends with benefits or a full divorce with restraining order....

If European leaders were smart they'd opt for the latter option to set a precedence and show other prospective exiters what would face them if they tried to leave. Alas there isn't many smart minds in the EU who will likely try and placate Britain with possible enhanced EEA membership.

Even as a child of immigrants, I can't even imagine how it feels to be one living in the UK right now. How do you console yourself after knowing the majority of the country hates/fears you enough that they would rather suffer long-term instability for tighter borders?

BAW

Banned
Maybe there should be a 2nd round of the referendum where all the people that did not show up could cast their vote now.

That could work, right?

daveo42

Banned
Yeah, but the Leave side claimed that we will get preferential status, keeping all the nice free trade stuff while at the same time having none of the things we don't want, which is utter bollocks.

Yeah, EU is gonna make an example out of the UK to avoid having the EU fall apart. Again, good luck guys.

Hasney

Jesus, this is horrible. My own personal circumstances aside, the main talking points have already been taken away, and those that did it as a protest vote are going to find out things could always be worse, at least financially.

The US was relegated to a AA rating about 5 years ago. Not sure if they promoted us back to AAA or not. I haven't noticed a difference

The US is not exactly a country that uses the borrowed money to help the most vulnerable. That's where it will be felt.

52% of Rotten Tomatoes...

51.9% Win for the UK to leave the EU...

Maybe he's right to call it Independence Day because both of them are things which shouldn't have existed.

Holy shit. So many similarities. Guess I'll have to go see the movie this weekend now to see how the UK will fare in the coming years.

Kolx

As someone who doesn't understand economics that well: why did Japanese economic took a huge hit while the US for example didn't?

jgwhiteus

Isn't weak pounds good for exporting companies though? Just being curious.
(Strong Yen sure isn't doing a favor for Japanese exporting companies and that's why stock market is crashing over here).

Yes it is!

Yes the UK's HUGE manufacturing sector will definitely profit from selling more goods abroad.
As they say: 'Selling two Jaguars is better than selling one Jaguar".

I think the issue for the overall economy is that as an island nation, Britain is pretty import-dependent (e.g. if you're a car manufacturer you probably need to import certain components as well as export the final product). Also, one of its main industries is financial services, which will be heavily impacted since companies are likely to move their headquarters elsewhere. From that NY Mag article someone linked to earlier:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/06/american-idiots-guide-to-brexit.html
Britain is a small island that imports a lot of stuff. Being a member of one of the world’s largest free-trade zones makes that stuff cheaper. And as Vox notes, being an EU member brings multinational companies (and thus jobs) to the U.K. This is because the EU’s common laws and regulations allow your average enormous corporation to maintain a single headquarters for the entire continent. And because English is the most widely spoken language in Europe, a lot of those headquarters end up in England.

This setup is what allows the city of London to be Europe’s financial center. Which is to say: The biggest industry in the U.K. needs access to the common market in order to thrive. And a thriving finance industry isn’t just good for the plutocrats in Kensington — it also generates tax revenues that support social services in the British countryside.

If Britain loses access to the common market, many economists predict reduced growth, a weakened pound, and a devastated city of London.

That isn't to say that some industries might not benefit from a weakened pound - tourism, for one, as foreigners seek to take advantage of cheaper vacations. I'm not sure about manufacturing - while exports should supposedly benefit from a weaker pound, there are also favorable regulations and tariffs in place for exports to other EU countries, which will supposedly have to be rewritten due to the Brexit, with a good chance that Britain will be "penalized" under any new regime with the EU. This could raise costs for other EU countries to import British goods and decrease overall demand and sales. Also, certain export products still rely on imports (like cars), and the loss of favorable tariff agreements could increase manufacturing costs, erasing any gains from a weakened currency. There's also the prospect of British manufacturers trying to compete alone on the world market against super-manufacturer countries like China, without the benefit of being part of a larger EU bloc for trading leverage.

I expect the aggregate value of mine to decrease anywhere from 5-10% in a single day and that might just be the beginning. I mean I'm not planning to retire anytime soon but really we could have avoided all this if the people of the fucking United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland didn't do the equivalent of California leaving the United States.

Um isn't that rather selfish? The majority don't have a stock portfolio to take a haircut on, and 10% is a small drop considering the run up those that do have have enjoyed for the last 5 years. It seems a bit narrow minded to mostly care about the morning drop in an investment portfolio, and swear at democracy, when there are much bigger issues involved.

DJKhaled

U.K votes to leave, now we just need Australia vote for Turnbull and the US to vote for Trump and we have a 1,2,3 knockout for most of the english speaking western world. Wish immigration to Canada was easy.

Lime

oh god all the far right politicians and eu-skeptics are coming out the woodwork in the Danish morning news media and saying that Denmark should consider leaving EU.

The reporters are just taking everything they say uncritically.

Fucking bullshit.

Aiii

So not worth it
US Gaffer here: Why does Farage guy keep calling this "Our Independence Day"?

Last I checked EU never invaded UK...

Populism is one hell of a thing. Just shout a couple of anti-immigrant things, shout at the establishment and presto, suddenly you're winning dumb-as-fuck referenda, or you find yourself running for US president.

If there ever was a year for democracy to implode, I guess it's 2016.

Burt

Okay

Whats worse, this or London Has Fallen

I saw LHF the other day, it was like the worst movie I've seen in two years

Izuna

Banned
As someone who doesn't understand economics that well: why did Japanese economic took a huge hit while the US for example didn't?

Yen being stronger in comparison to Dollar is horrible since they're an export country.

mid83

Technically, yes, but it is deeply unlikely that it will be overruled. If David Cameron did it, his own party would revolt and replace him with someone who would; at best it could be delayed slightly. Unlike the American President, the British Prime Minister requires the support of his party at all times, not just when getting the nomination.

The Conservative Party is very deeply split over this issue, and Cameron was on the pro-EU side. A lot of his backbenchers disliked him for this reason, and, as stated above, this meant he risked losing his job without making some concessions. He promised an EU referendum before the last election because firstly, the Conservatives didn't think they'd win the election (so he'd never have to keep his promise), and secondly, polling three months back showed reasonably large Remain vote margins and most people were confident that in the unlikely event of a referendum, Remain would win.

Nevertheless, he has proved himself an utter cockwomble.

The EU is 46% of the UK's export market, and the UK is the world's 7th largest exporter. A huge amount of jobs are at stake. My girlfriend has already received a private word from managerial that her job is at risk as she works with a legal group concerned with human rights; they're heavily funded by the EU because the Conservatives really don't care about human rights and her position is quite junior.

Thanks for the answers.

Sounds like Cameron really screwed up by promising a vote in the first place. I guess he felt he had to keep his job.

I hope things end up not being as bad as people are fearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom