• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

By the way do British people hate immigrants that much? As far as I understood you don't even have that many migrants coming lol (according to this at least: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911), please correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm just trying to understand your point of view.

The UK tabloid press has ran a decades-long campaign of demonising the EU and immigrants to the point where some parts of the population (not saying this is everyone who voted Leave, before anyone jumps on me) sees them as sub-human, or at least sub-Englishman. As much as I believe free-press is important, It sickens me to my core that it's been allowed to get to this point.

After years of being told that immigrants are going to eat your children, or stop you have electric kettles (these are about on the same level for a Brit), well, some people believe anything they read.

they wont invoke (despite the toy throwing from the EU) until they are good and ready, Cameron can not be trusted to secure a good deal, so that is why we need a new PM, so article 50 will need to wait until then...

of course one of Camerons threats was he would invoke article 50 if leave won immediately...

oddly that is another threat that has not come to pass
Cameron's buying time, and poisoning the chalice. The next PM will have the unenviable task of negotiating the terms of withdrawal, and leading the country through a potential financial crisis. The next election will be a shit show, and the new PM will be taking the brunt of the anger.

It's the smartest thing Cameron could do in this situation. He can salvage what's left of his reputation ("I just gave you a choice, Boris set the terms") and potentially roadblock events to come.

Completely wrong.

1. The timeframe of two years is not set in stone (but desirable)
2. This is about starting with the process now. The EU wants a definite decision to avoid a period of huge uncertainty because UKs England's politician can't get their shit together. This isn't a game and the EU is not your toy.

Point number two is definitely a big factor for why the EU wants it to happen now, yes. But my points are not wrong. They're completely accurate, and the reason the UK wants to delay proceedings.

geordiemp

I voted remain. Some of the people in this thread though who just want to be nasty trolls and see the UK punished because the have hurt feelings can fuck right off.

Dont worry, the trolls think EU is some democratic arrangement where all have equal say, when really it just depends what Merkel wants anyway and they will find their voice in the club is as irrelevant as anybody else.

One thing is certain in this world, the bill payers call the shots.

Best

So Boris comes in on October and doesn't activate article 50 because the ref is now months out of date and it was always a terrible idea anyway.

nOoblet16

The fuck?

Although I guess some of you English like getting ramrodded with University debt and therefore wouldn't give 2 shits if Uni's burn because of this.

Up North we pride ourselves on free Education and seeing Napier Uni in that list does actually make us disappointed at best, seriously worried at worst. A country without robust and thriving education is a shitpit.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic

Tak3n

Banned
Completely wrong.

1. The timeframe of two years is not set in stone (but desirable)
2. This is about starting with the process now. The EU wants a definite decision to avoid a period of huge uncertainty because UKs England's politician can't get their shit together. This isn't a game and the EU is not your toy.

We are getting divorced, you don't sign the forms just because you ex-wife demands it

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm glad we're comparing this to a fucking sports day race.
But either nothing will change or everything will be better. Leave voters have already reassured us that 'everything will be the same as ever' and that there will be no economic downturn. When the outcome is so rosy, why be so salty about losing? :)

8bit

Knows the Score
Cly0crEWEAETNZb.jpg

Oh, has anyone seen any members of the cabinet yet? Sturgeon has at least been out to say this is what we're doing to move forward, but Cameron & Osborne have gone to ground in the aftermath.

Tak3n

Banned
So Boris comes in on October and doesn't activate article 50 because the ref is now months out of date and it was always a terrible idea anyway.

Then UKIP soar, steal tories votes.... tories panic and start promising stuff to quell the UKIP movement

sound familiar

It was always possible to leave, the article is even posted some pages back. Everybody was afraid of the consequences. Now well see what they actually are, on a global scale.

This gives countries an opportunity to see Brexit plays out over the next couple of years, we are only seeing the impact in terms of the one day market reaction and panic but things will settle down, stocks will recover like they always do, EU countries have no option but to negotiate with UK when it comes to trade, countries aren't going to all be leaving now but it shows them that it's possible and that they will survive the growing pains of not being a part of the EU and it's not the absolute catastrophe the EU wants them to believe.

We wouldn't be talking about this if EU members are currently happy being a part of EU. All Brexit did was open the door and hasten the end game for the EU.

Ashes

Banned
It's depressing.

Guess why leave won? Because they went out and voted. The turnout for younger voters throughout Britain is staggeringly low - and now, suddenly, it's all the older generation's fault?

http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2016/06/24/brexit-demographic-divide-eu-referendum-results/

The sheer amount of people I see on facebook, reddit and elsewhere complaining about the result, yet admitting they didn't go out and vote is absolutely staggeringly infuriating - and a silly online petition to reconsider is not going to change that. Those people should have got their fucking act together and made their voices heard. They had a chance. They lost it - by two fucking percent.

So yes, I have a huge amount of anger - for the remain voters. I was able to get off my ass and vote remain, yet it seems millions upon millions of others couldn't be fucked. Well, you're stuffed now. Sorry. Deal with it. Sick and tired of the younger population (yes, I'm 27) assuming things will go their way regardless of lack of effort, and assuming things will be taken care of for them. People who do not understand this need to grow up.

Er that is quite a leap off of that one chart. Lead would be much more substantial.

GHG

Seems to me the UK is more likely to collapse as a result of this than the EU actually

The UK won't collapse. Not in the short term and not in the long term.

It's a question of whether the country will really be better off without the EU or not and to what degree.

The country isn't going to turn into Greece overnight. Mind the hyperbole.

People shouldn't forget that the UK is closer to the point of collapsing with another Scotland's referendum than the EU right now.

I love how some people think that the UK has suddenly the high ground in anything.

I must admit I'm super salty about the "we're in no rush to leave" camp of brexiters. Just plain sabotaging the EU out of pure malice and selfishness. I guess the rest of us Europeans are just dumb marks ripe for a con job.

Rich!

Er that is quite a leap off of that one chart. Lead would be much more substantial.

One chart because I'm too busy to find others. There's a huge amount of evidence showing younger people did not turn up to vote in the quantities they should have. Anyone who wilfully ignores this is an ignorant fool.

The evidence is there. People need to admit they fucked up and stop blaming others for their lazy asses

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I just heard on the radio that the voting turnout was relatively low for young voters yet they are the ones bitching and moaning about the older folks who voted out.

Well this is a good example of why you should have got off your arse and partaken in the democratic process.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The UK won't collapse. Not in the short term and not in the long term.

It's a question of whether the country will really be better off without the EU or not and to what degree.

The country isn't going to turn into Greece overnight. Mind the hyperbole.
Scottish independence is a lot more likely than the EU dissolving, I don't understand how you could claim otherwise.

geordiemp

It's looking like before. They'll probably wait until they know what the terms of leaving the EU are though before anything happens.

Maybe Scotland will have to apply to join and will probably either be with or after Albania, Serbia and Turkey, Bosnia etc.

It seems which ever way you turn there is the prospect of collapse and uncertainty, with or without the EU. Crazy times.

It's because it's a close result, because it has real implications for the future. If things go well people will move on, if things go badly we are all on the edge of the shitstorm.

The Tories won the general election with only a third of the votes.

#VoteLeave was over half of the votes.

I didn't see a petition with as many votes when Cameron crawled his way into Downing street.

The remain camp seriously needs to suck it up, accept it and work with the leave camp to ensure a successful and positive exit from the EU.

This sulking and flapping your arms about in a huff because something didnt go their way isnt going to help any one is it?

FyreWulff

People shouldn't forget that the UK is closer to the point of collapsing with another Scotland's referendum than the EU right now.

I love how some people think that the UK has suddenly the high ground in anything.

it's like when that one person thinks they're the reason everyone shows up to the party and then they're like let's hold my own party and nobody shows up

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This gives countries an opportunity to see Brexit plays out over the next couple of years, we are only seeing the impact in terms of the one day market reaction and panic but things will settle down, stocks will recover like they always do, EU countries have no option but to negotiate with UK when it comes to trade, countries aren't going to all be leaving now but it shows them that it's possible and that they will survive the growing pains of not being a part of the EU and it's not the absolute catastrophe the EU wants them to believe.

We wouldn't be talking about this if EU members are currently happy being a part of EU. All Brexit did was open the door and hasten the end game for the EU.

Doubt the EU is going anywhere or people will want to follow suit.

We decide when we want to go. All this talk of punishing the UK and making an example of us because we don't want to be in their club is ridiculous. I mean we could just hang around indefinitely which would certainly be worse for the EU if the mood is were going to get a shit deal.

The issue isn't about punishment, it's about uncertainty. Right now, it looks like an incredibly amateurish mess where neither the UK government nor the Leave figures appear to have any idea what they're doing, and Cameron saying "let's have some tea and scratch our balls until October" is utterly irresponsible.
To put it differently, no one wants to wait 4 months for the next step, and the only ones who benefit from this shitshow are Russia.

It's surreal to have nearly half a billion people watch their markets collapse while a bunch of Eton boys decide who's next to fuck the pig.

Rich!

So I just heard on the radio that the voting turnout was relatively low for young voters yet they are the ones bitching and moaning about the older folks who voted out.

Well this is a good example of why you should have got off your arse and partaken in the democratic process.

ding ding ding

Yep. Fuck them. They fucked this for all of us, and now they are the ones pissing and moaning about it and blaming the older generation.

Guess what? The older generation got their shit together and went out and voted whilst the majority of the younger generation didn't give a toss about going to the polling stations and flippantly brushed it aside. No sympathy.

kharma45

Same for every election. Young turn out is often low and they'll be the ones to complain most.

Showaddy

Eh? The UK wouldn't have collapsed if Scotland voted out 2 years ago and they wouldn't collapse now. And that's if Sturgeon thinks she has the support with the recent Tory gains in Scotland and if the next Prime minister actually allows Scotland to have another referendum so soon.

Hazanko

Banned
The Tories won the general election with only a third of the votes.

#VoteLeave was over half of the votes.

I didn't see a petition with as many votes when Cameron crawled his way into Downing street.

The remain camp seriously needs to suck it up, accept it and work with the leave camp to ensure a successful and positive exit from the EU.

This sulking and flapping your arms about in a huff because something didnt go their way isnt going to help any one is it?

People can lose their jobs and other issues due to this. They don't have to accept fuck all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom