• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

Well I don't know about other coutries but the Netherlands export for €38 billion to the UK (on a total of €482,31). We really need those benefits to be good...

Ah well, let's see how the "common man" will react to the next financial crisis. :(

Indeed. The EU and the UK have no motivation to be petulant about this. Its entirely possible a free trade agreement is the first order of business.

Notions about "punishment" & "deterrence" etc are pretty childish. I doubt in the cold light of day they would actually do anything to reduce the massive economic benefits of healthy trade between the EU & UK. What would be the point? Spite?

RedShift

Fuck Jeremy Corbyn. This is as much his fault as anyone else.

He's meant to be showing up at Glastonbury, half tempted to go see how people are feeling about him now.

Toxi

Banned
S3BQmdA.jpg
*Economy tanks*

Violet_0

Banned
damn, I didn't expect this outcome. I figured London and Scotland would vote to 'stay', but Nothern England in particular apparantly really disliked the EU

I don't know how the UK public thinks things will improve from here out on. I just hope this doesn't start a chain reaction and convince a whole bunch of other, smaller countries to leave too

NateDog

Can't tell if this means my keeping my British passport having not lived in the country for almost 2 decades is better for me or not.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So US here but judging by reactions here I'm guessing this was a massive mistake :(. And of course a Trump supporter I know was all in favor of this so I have to imagine this is really really bad.

RulkezX

So there's a really good chance of Britain goes through with this we'll see a sovereign Scotland and united Ireland? Sounds like a complete disaster for the uk

I'll vote Yes in an Indyref2.

I didn't buy us being fundamentally different from the English last time. But I was clearly wrong.

Ashes

Banned
Quite simple. The EU has been diluting UK sovereignty for years. EU law stands above British law.

Law we voted for. And they're actually very good laws. 4 weeks holiday. Generous Maternity leave. Just ask the US if they would love that.

Never been disgusted to see an England flag before. Plenty of disgusting people with it, never revolted by the flag itself though.

Strange feeling.

daveo42

Banned
So now you guys have your sovereignty back, when's the old British Empire gonna start taking over countries and holding colonies. Us Yanks love another feel good war about winning our independence or whatever.

Sad day for Europe and the UK. It also shows the dark side of direct democracy. A decision of this kind should never be left at the hand of the general public. The UK will now suffer decades of terrible economy. I really hope this doesn't gain traction in other European countries. Just imagine if Germany or France decide to do something like this.

Slaythe

France said if UK votes out, they won't stop migrants from reaching the UK from Calais, which they had an agreement on.

Already comical.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'll vote Yes in an Indyref2.

I didn't buy us being fundamentally different from the English last time. But I was clearly wrong.

I really want to plead with you not to, but I don't think I can in good conscience. :( Just don't think too badly of younger rUKers; we were with you.

Indeed. The EU and the UK have no motivation to be petulant about this. Its entirely possible a free trade agreement is the first order of business.

Notions about "punishment" & "deterrence" etc are pretty childish. I doubt in the cold light of day they would actually do anything to reduce the massive economic benefits of healthy trade between the EU & UK. What would be the point? Spite?

Of course the EU is going to seek partnership with the UK, but they have to be quite firm with how they handle this situation.
If they give the UK too many concessions and institute a status quo sort of situation where the UK de facto gets all the rights of an EU member but none of the responsibilities, it will only increase the anti-EU sentiment within the other EU members.

If the EU doesn't take a hardliner position for this, it's going to crumble very soon.

Kornoponing

Neo Member
So US here but judging by reactions here I'm guessing this was a massive mistake :(. And of course a Trump supporter I know was all in favor of this so I have to imagine this is really really bad.

Yes, a very big mistake. It cracks the foundation of the EU, stability and Union. Compare it to Texas suddenly leaving the US, can you think of states that would gladly follow them?

I know they're not related, I know Trump is doing horribly in polls, but I can't help but feel this bodes poorly for the US election.

Holy shit. Don't really know what else to say.

Really?

So instead of thinking that people could have come up with some logical and valid reasons to vote leave and to try and understand them you choose to remain ignorant and go with this? Do you really think that 17 million people voted leave for those reasons? And that all those who voted leave are xenophobic and racist? 17 million people?

Whatever makes you comfortable I guess but there is great irony in posts like this.

What was the main platform of leave? What was the overwhelming message from leave?

Job security? Better quality of life?

Ratros

How this gonna affect the economy on the European scale and then the global scale?

Will this do anything to the NIRP put in place by other EU countries?

In the short term? Not much. The market will suffer from a shock, there might be some turbulence in the financial market but it will recover sooner or later as it takes Britain 2 years from now to finish the divorce.

In the long term, we do not know. The (sad) thing is, despite Brexit side's ambitious claim no one has actually left EU so far and there is no plan at all on how the divorce would proceed. We do not know what would happen to current EU immigrants in UK, how many businesses would move out, whether a trade deal would be made between UK and EU, UK and US, UK and China, etc. and most of all whether other EU countries would follow the steps of UK. If the politicians play the cards right, it would be a peaceful (more or less, of course) divorce; otherwise we would see a medium-scale economic crisis all over again, just like what happened in 2008.

In conclusion, keep your fingers crossed and prepare for the worst.

Arksy

Oh my god, what a triumph for leave!

I'm so pleased at this result. I have been hoping for this day for years. I've been away for a few hours so to come back to this news is more than uplifting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's the fault of people who voted leave. Immigration was more important to them than common sense.

Unsubstantiated fearmingering around immigration, not reasoned arguments around it. All the shit flung by garage and Johnson, all the editorials printed in in the Daily Mail/Express/Sun etc - all easily enough to sway 1.3m people to vote to leave.

But the Polish were invading! INVADING! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

The Polish/Romanian thing will be Blairs biggest fuck up and probably the reason we're out. Every other EU country limited entry to the ascension countries but he allowed unfettered access, overnight crushing the building trade etc etc

dmr87

This should have never been up for a referendum...

With the markets taking such a hit. I guess most investors didn't bank on this outcome coming true?

Afaik most if not all banked on remain, that's why the market is in shock. Interesting time ahead.

Bo-Locks

I hope all the disaffected, working class Labour voters from areas hit hardest by austerity in the North of England / Midlands that voted "Leave", feel better represented by PM in-waiting, Boris Johnson, in due course.

choodi

Banned
U.K votes to leave, now we just need Australia vote for Turnbull and the US to vote for Trump and we have a 1,2,3 knockout for most of the english speaking western world. Wish immigration to Canada was easy.

GTFO with this shit. Shorten is a muppet whose whole campaign is based on lies and misinformation. Turnbull is in no way comparable to Trump and this idiotic decision made by the people of the UK.

avaya

So are France and Germany being the other two big pillars of the EU going to go in hard against the UK now? I feel like this could get much worse before it gets better.

The French especially will give no quarter. We will be made an example of. Plucky little Britain is about to get fucked. The shit heels who voted for this will now feel what the real power of a bloc can do to you. The thing is these people have no comprehension of what's about to happen. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom