• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
She can, that was the verdict of one of the countries leading constitutional lawyers, during commitee meetings at parliament during refererendum legislation last year. There is no way Scotlands parliament will be ignored, or you will then have 90% supporting indy, then again maybe thats the plan.

I mean the Queen. My impression was her job was to get tourists and read a paper she gets handed every year without any say whatsoever.

She can? Really?

Before a law is passed or a decision is made by parliament she has to sign it. At this point it's more of a tradition but technically she could refuse to sign or even delay it until a later date.

Although this is all theoretical and no monarch has refused an act of parliament for 300 years.

He knows that we know.
Send the fuck into exile or the tower.

Yeah, he gambled his career on this and lost. Pretty much every politician lost if we really do go ahead and exit the EU.

Sturgeon could change all of that. Keep us in the EU, and Boris can start lying again about how he wanted to lower immigration and fund the NHS, but now thanks to Scotland he can't. Vote for him in 2020 though and he'll try his best from within the EU (lol)! And Scotland won't give a shit about all the heat from England because the majority of the Scots support the outcome. It's a win for everyone, but the Leave voters will still think they lost.

My sister is adamant that this was the right decision, and that this will 'make Britain great again'

It's quite a difficult situation to deal with inside a family.

I've already said to my dad and step-mother that I won't be seeing them again for quite some time as I know any conversation would devolve into a heated argument.

Ashes

Banned

Randdalf

If Scotland went independent to rejoin the EU, then the Scottish border becomes a land border with the EU. I can only imagine pleasant consequences.

Audioboxer

Yeah, he gambled his career on this and lost. Pretty much every politician lost if we really do go ahead and exit the EU.

Sturgeon could change all of that. Keep us in the EU, and Boris can start lying again about how he wanted to lower immigration and fund the NHS, but now thanks to Scotland he can't. Vote for him in 2020 though and he'll try his best from within the EU (lol)! And Scotland won't give a shit about all the heat from England because the majority of the Scots support the outcome. It's a win for everyone, but the Leave voters will still think they lost.

Depends if us Scots yet again want to be painted as a target for English angst.

Only outcome I'd want to see if we somehow prevent the UK leaving the EU is us getting our independence along with it. Then any English anger can just be given the middle finger as London/Tories would be completely irrelevant to us.

Tak3n

Banned
so rumours are Osbourne will resign tomorrow

Where is the thanks GAF we leave voters just bought down a Government you despise...

no need to openly thank us, we know you appreciate it

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What I mean is that I suppose Scotland can only veto a decision if that decision is official, and right now I don't think the Brexit is. It's not about article 50, but since the referendum was advisory,UK hasn't officially declared it was going with it yet (I have to listen to Cameron's declarations again, but I think he just left the hot potato to be picked up by his successor).

That's not the way it works. There is (disclaimer - probably!) a requirement to obtain the consent of the Scottish Parliament prior to making a decision.

It's actually unfortunate that a statement official enough to trigger Scotland veto also has a risk of triggering article 50 (or maybe not, but that's legal nitpicking one way or another).

No risk of triggering Art 50 there. It is consent prior to a decision.

Audioboxer

I don't necessarily disagree, but the SNP is just as inclined to distort the reality for their own political motivations as Leave did.

I'd imagine at the very least Scotland would need to take the Euro now, something unacceptable to many.

Yep

Not as unacceptable as England controlling us, trust me. If the Better Together campaign think wheeling out the pound argument again will be their ticket to winning... lol.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Scotland could also have its own currency. I also believe the situation is at a point now where sturgeon can openly say she will adopt the euro and still have the public support her.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So I am going to guess what IDS said wont be popular on here, but from a leave perspective I am pleased he has confirmed what we want... a leader from the leave campaign to be the new PM

That seems to me an eminently sensible suggestion Tak3n.

But, being as it is me agreeing with you .... you should be careful what you wish for!

I wonder how old is tak3n

How old are you Tak3n?

Ashes

Banned

Where is the thanks GAF we leave voters just bought down a Government you despise...

Thank you. He really was not the best chancellor for the country. Even if he did do some great things - auto-enrolment was a universally applauded success.

A collapsing government is something nobody should want. It creates even more uncertainty and a bigger mess to be fixed somehow. Why you think Remain supporters love this chaos is beyond me.

- Scotland talking about leaving the UK
- Cameron resigned
- Leave already backtracking on NHS and immigration promises
- No clue who is in charge at the moment
- EU already pushing for Article 50 to get this over with
- Markets are scared
- Companies actively looking for new locations outside the UK
- People have already been fired
- Racist abuse hurled in the streets to immigrants and kids

Looks pretty bad to me. Of course this is two days after the referendum and people are upset, but that this is turning out to be a bad idea seems pretty clear.

The utter ignorance on display by the Leavers, totally ignorant that shit is literally falling apart in front of their very eyes.

Well, I guess Endland hasn't sunk to the bottom of the ocean yet. Could be worse *shrug*

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Can see this Scotland stops it England to transition into Norway model Scotland eu

London keeps trade Gov plans to restart England and Wales economy

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

You likely removed the relatively moderate parts (I know, right?) with the those who stand further to the Right. Nice job breaking it, hero. ;)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
We don't have a prime minister, we don't have a finance minister. Who the hell is running the country.

TuJGe41m.jpg

trade negotiations have already started

At least Scottish people have got a home and a way out of this.

As an Englishman I woke up to realise the country I thought existed never did, and the majority are pridefully ignorant xenophobes. It is a foreign and unwelcoming place.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

lets see who the replacements are before we celebrate eh

Damerman

Norway is basically an EU member without the voting benefits. It works for Norway because OIL MONEY and IT'S NORWAY, THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. Comparing any nation with Norway is preposterous and saying "look at them, let's just do that" is just stupid.
As We get closer to alternative energy sources, norway is more likely to join the EU.

Farage is an imbecile for suggesting that they should go the route of Norway

Pandy

Lots of Scotland chat on here, so I'll note that Wings Over Scotland have put up an article today: http://wingsoverscotland.com/notes-from-the-madhouse/
1. THE UK MAY NOT ACTUALLY LEAVE THE EU

First principles: it’s far too early to discount the possibility that the referendum result WILL be overturned. Referendums are not legally binding, and there are several routes by which Parliament may simply choose not to heed this one.

jmchart.jpg

(We invite readers in passing to imagine the reaction in the media if Alex Salmond had responded to the indyref result by proposing that the Scottish Parliament simply ignore the result and declare independence anyway.)

There are numerous precedents in recent European history for awkward referendum outcomes either being ignored or simply resulting in more referendums being held until the desired result was achieved.

However, the EU itself seems to be in no mood for any faffing around this time. Having been told the UK wants a divorce, it’s not keen to have the UK hanging around the house for months and years getting in the way. It wants a clean break as soon as possible, and it’s prepared to take action to hurry it along.

Frankly, anyone who says they know how this will turn out is an idiot and/or a liar. We don’t even have a clue which UK Prime Minister will be conducting the negotiations, and that’s a somewhat important factor.

More in the article, but understandably focussed on Scottish Independance, which is the site's raison d'etre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom